Help with tactical understanding

Hey

This FM I have for the first time tried creating my own tactic completely, without any help from the internet, previously I've mostly used tactics dowloaded from the internet or the presets in the game. Therefore my tactical knowledge I very lacking and I have a hard time identifying the faults in my tactic and why it sometimes just crumbles together in certain games. Ive taken Barnet FC from the vanomara national league to the championship relatively fast so ig guess it works to some extent but I would very much appreciate some help on how a can improve and explanations of its weakness. 

So here's the tactic: (No selected player instructions only the ones part of the roles).Skrmavbild2024-03-29kl_15_33_54.thumb.png.4e3a274304c96e6e36250a70d7e65c3c.png

Barnet Tactic.fmf

Just now, -GT- said:

Thank you, my bad didn't realize I was in the wrong forum. 

No worries.

5 hours ago, -GT- said:

This FM I have for the first time tried creating my own tactic completely, without any help from the internet, previously I've mostly used tactics dowloaded from the internetTBarnet Tactcmf
40.4 kB · 1 download

Looks like a great start :thup: I think you'd struggle with the current midfield setup so I'd look to address that first. I'd give this a read before making adjustments for a better understanding on the roles you pick.

You can also create your own setup and play w/out asymmetrical formations, which have their own pitfalls to worry about. You could consider running a classic 4-4-2 and progressing from there.

Edited by Cloud9

On 29/03/2024 at 21:23, Cloud9 said:

Looks like a great start :thup: I think you'd struggle with the current midfield setup so I'd look to address that first. I'd give this a read before making adjustments for a better understanding on the roles you pick.

You can also create your own setup and play w/out asymmetrical formations, which have their own pitfalls to worry about. You could consider running a classic 4-4-2 and progressing from there.

Thanks for the help @Cloud9! I read through the linked post and tried to understand It best I could, I also took help from the RateMyTactic website and settled on this. Do you have any input? I removed the overlap instructions since the website told me they wouldn't work since I have no effective overlapping partnerships on the left side, should I keep it on the right or remove it there as well? Otherwise I managed to tweak it so the website only had two suggestions 

"You are instructing your players to counter press , despite a higher level of attacking risk. The slower defensive transitions might hinder your team's ability to counter press effectively ."

"You are instructing your players to counter , despite a higher level of defensive risk. The slower attacking transitions might hinder your team's ability to counter effectively ."

These two I could not seem to get rid of no matter how hard I tried but as I understand the website is only a rough guide and can't really judge a tactic perfectly. 

Skärmavbild 2024-03-31 kl. 13.36.18.png

19 minutes ago, -GT- said:

Thanks for the help @Cloud9! I read through the linked post and tried to understand It best I could, I also took help from the RateMyTactic website and settled on this. Do you have any input? I removed the overlap instructions since the website told me they wouldn't work since I have no effective overlapping partnerships on the left side, should I keep it on the right or remove it there as well? Otherwise I managed to tweak it so the website only had two suggestions 

"You are instructing your players to counter press , despite a higher level of attacking risk. The slower defensive transitions might hinder your team's ability to counter press effectively ."

"You are instructing your players to counter , despite a higher level of defensive risk. The slower attacking transitions might hinder your team's ability to counter effectively ."

These two I could not seem to get rid of no matter how hard I tried but as I understand the website is only a rough guide and can't really judge a tactic perfectly. 

Skärmavbild 2024-03-31 kl. 13.36.18.png

Take RateMyTactic with a grain of salt. It's only meant to be a rough guide. Not something I would use to get good advice on tactic. You can still make great tactics even if they don't check off everything on RateMyTactic. Also it doesn't take into account the positional play in FM24 which is honestly the biggest game changer in this version.

20 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Take RateMyTactic with a grain of salt. It's only meant to be a rough guide. Not something I would use to get good advice on tactic. You can still make great tactics even if they don't check off everything on RateMyTactic. Also it doesn't take into account the positional play in FM24 which is honestly the biggest game changer in this version.

Yeah if figured, so should I keep overlap left and overlap right on then? Got anything you see directly would be a problem with the new tactic I configured?

6 minutes ago, -GT- said:

Yeah if figured, so should I keep overlap left and overlap right on then? Got anything you see directly would be a problem with the new tactic I configured?

Overlap left is a good idea as it raises the mentality for your left Wingback (d), making him a bit more proactive while not abandoning his defensive responsibility. I find this is a good compromise. But i wouldn't use overlap right just because your attack and support duties there make the players overlap naturally. And I would not make your right wingback even more gung-ho to throw off the balance of this system. 

Edited by crusadertsar

4 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Overlap left is a good idea as it raises the mentality for your left Wingback (d), making him a bit more proactive while not abandoning his defensive responsibility. I find this is a good compromise. But i wouldn't use overlap right just because your attack and support duties there make the players overlap naturally. And I would not make your right wingback even more gung-ho to throw off the balance of this system. 

Thanks for the help mate, does it look decent otherwise? 

6 minutes ago, -GT- said:

Thanks for the help mate, does it look decent otherwise? 

Personally I would not use a AP role in midfield in this formation. Because of Positional Play it will move up and stay mostly in advanced midfield strata leaving only your BWM to hold position in midfield. In a 442 thats not really ideal. You usually want two holding midfielders in a 2 player midfield, especially when the wingers are more aggressive. Besides you already have WP cutting into the same space from the flank. Let him be your sole playmaker. From the wide position it will also be easier for him to escape markers. The rest looks good though. Have fun testing it!

7 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Personally I would not use a AP role in midfield in this formation. Because of Positional Play it will move up and stay mostly in advanced midfield strata leaving only your BWM to hold position in midfield. In a 442 thats not really ideal. You usually want two holding midfielders in a 2 player midfield, especially when the wingers are more aggressive. Besides you already have WP cutting into the same space from the flank. Let him be your sole playmaker. From the wide position it will also be easier for him to escape markers. The rest looks good though. Have fun testing it!

What would you have there instead of a AP? Mainly did it because Shoretire is one of my stars but look like he's going to leave so now I'm open to changing it.

32 minutes ago, -GT- said:

What would you have there instead of a AP? Mainly did it because Shoretire is one of my stars but look like he's going to leave so now I'm open to changing it.

I would just try a simple CM(s)