Can't get the most out of my star player

I signed Yao a couple of seasons ago and even though he's done well I still feel like he's underperformed compared to his attributes. He goes disappearing in some games and drops very low ratings. 

Untitled (1).png

Untitled 2.png

Edited by Bohsjohn

His goal return is pretty solid for a wide player in a supporting role. 

Perhaps changing him to an Attacking duty would see him more involved in the box and dropping deep less often. 

Or you could play him in the ST position? His pace, movement and finishing are elite, having him out wide or in deeper positions doesn't make sense, especially when his long shots aren't great, which as an IF-Su he probably finds himself outside the box more often than not. 

Feels like he isn’t getting much support behind him (IFB vs FB on the other side) and although IF/Mez looks like they should gel, my experience is that they try to occupy the same spaces.

I’d be tempted to try a Carrilero in place of the Mezzala, to offer some wide support.

I usually play my AP in CM strata on attack because on support they sit deeper than you might expect (PPMs make a difference here too). IW on attack also cuts in so early they may as well be an IF. An actual Winger might create more width and space for your IF to attack. At the moment you have four players lurking around the edge of the box and no-one properly attacking it.

Edited by NineCloudNine

8 hours ago, Bohsjohn said:

I've played him upfront at times but he's not the best in the air which I feel like you have to be to play as a lone striker in this version of the game

Maybe add some team instructions to encourage a different stlye of play, for example, he's quick so try pass into space, whipped crosses and dribble more. 

Get the team to play to his strengths. 

16 hours ago, Bohsjohn said:

I signed Yao a couple of seasons ago and even though he's done well I still feel like he's underperformed compared to his attributes. He goes disappearing in some games and drops very low ratings. 

Untitled (1).png

Untitled 2.png

Stick him on a winger attack role and he will do great off the left hand side.

Alternatively, something like a Raumdeuter could be interesting on a profile like that. 

Having some players equipped to progress the ball from your own defensive third could help him out as well. IFB on the left will leave him fairly isolated, give him a partner to go forward with.

Edited by Cloud9

My suggestions:

1. Give him an IF(a) role and give your central striker a DLF or F9 role.
  2. Train him to be an AMC and let him be a SS(a) in a 4-2-3-1 with a support striker ahead of him.
  3. Play him as an AF(a) with a support striker in a 2-striker formation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2024 at 05:21, Cloud9 said:

Stick him on a winger attack role and he will do great off the left hand side.

Alternatively, something like a Raumdeuter could be interesting on a profile like that. 

Having some players equipped to progress the ball from your own defensive third could help him out as well. IFB on the left will leave him fairly isolated, give him a partner to go forward with.

I read this in one of the other threads you posted, playing a player on opposite side of his preferred foot as a winger. I had a regen similar to the op player in my size and boy you were right, I tried all sorts if, wide treq, af, iw, just wasn't get the results, he came alive as a winger on attack scoring loads. Had cut inside with ball added and he stretched the play and cut in late ,