Poor Set Piece Defending is Ruining the Enjoyment of FM24 - How to Counter This?

palpatine-star-wars.gif

Delegating the set-pieces to the dedicated coach has balanced the things up for me for now. I'm scoring quite a few from corners but as long as they are not some huge marking errors after an initial clearance, I'm quite fine with it. 

The throw-ins on the other hand are a thing that you are not simply able to balance, especially as you don't have control of the AI teams. 

This on the other hand would be probably impossible to fix because, at least as far as I know, the match engine still doesn't include the physical side of defending such as using strength attribute to simply push the attacking player to the side. If this is not in the game, then how are you supposed to win the ball back from the throw-ins? 

I'm still not saying that there are too many goals from them (don't even know if the game is counting 'goals from throw-ins' stats. Probably not.) but it is pure blindness to claim that throw-ins and set-pieces in general don't start majority of the build-ups in the match engine. 

Also, when it comes to stats, the game probably doesn't count goals coming from set-pieces if they are not scored directly from the initial delivery. So, basically goals that come after an initial clearance or inside the penalty area pinball game, probably don't count as goals from set pieces. 

I would claim that there are big issues with set pieces in general but most of these wouldn't have been possible to fix with the limitations of the current system. If goal kicks and kick-offs can be considered as decent chances to score goals, then there is definitely something wrong with the balance.

I have big hopes for FM 2025 and especially that the issue with throw-ins won't continue to this version. Also would be nice to see more highlights starting from open play instead of set pieces. 

Throw-ins are 100% the biggest problem. It's so obvious when playing against real people that have a throw-in routine.

Throw-ins in real football are usually very static, and thus against an established defense, and the closest players to the throw-in taker is usually marked, making it hard to twist and turn. 

When I get a highlight starting with a throw-in in FM, I know it's gonna be a good chance or goal. 

In online you can almost predict the winner based on whoever gets the most throw-ins high up the pitch. Thankfully the AI doesn't abuse this as much.

The underlying issue with throw-ins is clear, there are some players who when tracking back turn their backs to the ball and in doing so also lose their marker. I notice it’s usually one or two players and I usually attribute this to poor marking and anticipation. It happens sometimes and I believe it was raised, before it was even worse.   That unfortunately happens differently for different setups and I expect it’s a nightmare to fix.  And since it happens to the AI as well I usually chalk this off since I personally can’t effect any changes myself.

I'm not saying there is a direct problem, but it is defintely something I cant get right. I wouldn't mind conceding a header directly from a 6' 5" CB (as used to happen on older games) as that could be fixed with bigger stronger defenders. It's the goals that end up on the edge of the box after a bit of ping pong that end up with a shot on goal. I havn't been able to figure out how to stop it. It feels a little bit artificial to me.