Taking my tactic to the next level

Hi all.

Tried to make my own tactic work in my current save and I think I'm reaching a point where I need more expert assistance. 

I run a 4-2-3-1, with an asymmetrical SS, and an IFa and Ws on either side, my Striker is a Pa (offset to the other side of the SS, trying to create a 4-pronged attack. 

I started well, winning back-to-back promotions from League 2 to the  Championship with Colchester, left to take the Brentford job and had 3 mid-table finishes (though skirted with the sack more than once!) and now find myself bottom of Ligue 1 with Lyon.

Ideally, I want to keep the core style the same but would appreciate any insight.

Thanks

fmtactic.jpg

13 hours ago, idrm1988 said:

Hi all.

Tried to make my own tactic work in my current save and I think I'm reaching a point where I need more expert assistance. 

I run a 4-2-3-1, with an asymmetrical SS, and an IFa and Ws on either side, my Striker is a Pa (offset to the other side of the SS, trying to create a 4-pronged attack. 

I started well, winning back-to-back promotions from League 2 to the  Championship with Colchester, left to take the Brentford job and had 3 mid-table finishes (though skirted with the sack more than once!) and now find myself bottom of Ligue 1 with Lyon.

Ideally, I want to keep the core style the same but would appreciate any insight.

Thanks

fmtactic.jpg

Your left side is completely exposed when you lose the ball. With wingback, inside forward and mezzala all actively trying to get forward and not caring so much about defending. Combine that with your very aggressive defending instructions and you got a recipe for disaster. Where is your "rest defence" here? In lower leagues you probably got lucky and didn't get too punished with this sort of defensively sloppy set up but in France's elite division you cannot play like this and expect not to concede tons of goals. Fix your left side and you will probably improve your results.

Edited by crusadertsar

9 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Your left side is completely exposed when you lose the ball. With wingback, inside forward and mezzala all actively trying to get forward and not caring so much about defending. Combine that with your very aggressive defending instructions and you got a recipe for disaster. Where is your "rest defence" here? In lower leagues you probably got lucky and didn't get too punished with this sort of defensively sloppy set up but in France's elite division you cannot play like this and expect not to concede tons of goals. Fix your left side and you will probably improve your results.

Thanks for your insight, 

Just a question I have, and forgive me if it's a dumb one, what do you mean by rest defence? Is that the Counter/Hold Shape and Counter-Press/Regroup options?

I think your idea is that the IF goes inside and the Mez goes outside but in practice they will get in each other’s way.

I find IF-A is just too gung-ho. SS is also very aggressive and your P doesn’t move around much so you are crowding the box.

FB-D is too conservative for me, they don’t move up to support at all.

Suggestions:

Use a DLF rather than a P; IW-S rather than IF; CM-S or A rather than Mez; FB-S rather than D.