Lost in Tactics: A Returnee's Journey to Mastering FM24

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased Football Manager 24 after taking a hiatus from the series since FM 2018. It's been quite a journey from the early days in 1993, but I'm excited to dive back into the game.

Having been away for a while, I've noticed that the game has evolved significantly, particularly in terms of tactics. As I'm eager to get up to speed with the latest tactical strategies and approaches, I've joined this forum to seek guidance from the community.

Since I'm approaching FM24 as a complete novice, I'm looking for recommendations on where to find the best tactical guides, tutorials, and reads to help me grasp the intricacies of the game. I'm willing to forget everything I used to know and start from scratch, so any resources tailored for beginners would be greatly appreciated.

Whether it's articles, videos, forum threads, or specific sections of the game itself that offer valuable insights into tactics, I'm open to exploring any suggestions you might have.

Thank you all in advance for your help and guidance. I'm looking forward to embarking on this new journey in Football Manager 24!

12 hours ago, Single Pivot said:

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased Football Manager 24 after taking a hiatus from the series since FM 2018. It's been quite a journey from the early days in 1993, but I'm excited to dive back into the game.

Having been away for a while, I've noticed that the game has evolved significantly, particularly in terms of tactics. As I'm eager to get up to speed with the latest tactical strategies and approaches, I've joined this forum to seek guidance from the community.

Since I'm approaching FM24 as a complete novice, I'm looking for recommendations on where to find the best tactical guides, tutorials, and reads to help me grasp the intricacies of the game. I'm willing to forget everything I used to know and start from scratch, so any resources tailored for beginners would be greatly appreciated.

Whether it's articles, videos, forum threads, or specific sections of the game itself that offer valuable insights into tactics, I'm open to exploring any suggestions you might have.

Thank you all in advance for your help and guidance. I'm looking forward to embarking on this new journey in Football Manager 24!

Have a look here to start with. 

On 27/02/2024 at 14:01, Single Pivot said:

Hello everyone,

Positional play has been added, which I would read up on if you're jumping into FM24 :) Here's a link:

Aside from that, one of the big changes since 2018 is how fatigue is managed within the game (ie. it's far more punishing than it used to be). What kind of football are you interested in? I'd personally recommend either playing to your team's strengths or trying to emulate a type of football you particularly like to watch IRL. I am a fan of defensive approaches and @crusadertsar has done a write up here on how to approach the game in a more patient approach:

In general keeping things simple is a good idea when coming back to the game (and then adding Tis and Pis slowly from there as you develop your style of play). That can help you from feeling overwhelmed from the intentionally obscure tactics screen. I'd also recommend checking out the data hub, a great addition to the FM series.  

@Cleon has just posted this thread, which you might like to read through as well. He has a comprehensive understanding on the game and can help you learn how to approach your own tactic. 

At the top of the forum, there are several stickied threads on different approaches / formations that are good reference points (from 4-3-3's to counter attacking styles, etc.)

Edited by Cloud9

2 hours ago, Single Pivot said:

Thank you @R0ca! I've had a look through the content there and it's all extremely helpful.

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a good guide for how to approach and handle preseason?

On pre-season specifically, I don't have the link to a guide. But you should push the player's as hard as possible (lots of high intensity training around physicals w/very little rest/recovery).

If you've got decent physios you shouldn't pick up serious injuries w/this method.

Edited by Cloud9