Do players know how good they are?

E.g. Will a player with low long shots and high decisions be less likely than a player with high long shots and high decisions to shoot from range (assuming other attributes / instructions / ppms are the same)? 

Or are they like unaware of their own strengths and weaknesses. 

47 minutes ago, ChaosReiter said:

That's a good question, from my experience I think they know.

Thanks for weighing in. Does this apply to just actions on the ball, or also off, e.g. tackling? 

10 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

That's the whole point of Decision attribute. The worse thing you can do is put a player with a combination of low Tackling, high Aggression and low Decisions in a Ball-winning Midfielder role. Very good recipe for an early red card. 

I know that decision making affects when a player will attempt tackles, with (presumably) worse decision makers attempting worse tackles. What I'm not sure about is whether a low tackling / low decisions player would attempt more tackles than a low tackling / high decisions player, as the high decisions player is aware of his poor tackling and therefore attempts one less often. I.e. is the player's own ability factored in to his decision making process? 

12 minutes ago, Chair_ said:

I know that decision making affects when a player will attempt tackles, with (presumably) worse decision makers attempting worse tackles. What I'm not sure about is whether a low tackling / low decisions player would attempt more tackles than a low tackling / high decisions player, as the high decisions player is aware of his poor tackling and therefore attempts one less often. I.e. is the player's own ability factored in to his decision making process? 

Not at all, what will determine how many tackles he attempts is a combination of his role instructions, team instructions and his natural inclination (aggression). 

Edited by crusadertsar

I personally wouldn’t say they know. How they behave will be more determined by instructions and PPM. 

So you could tell a player with poor tackling to ‘Ease off tackles’ or train a player with poor long shots to develop the ‘Refrains from taking long shots’ PPM.

Players do have some “access” to how good they and others are, for example on the team selection reaction screen you get things like “thinks team instruction to tackle harder is a good match to the standard of tackling”.

I think players with good long shot attribute shoot from distance more often and players with good dribbling do dribble more often. However, these are so often coupled with complementary PPMs that it is hard to say for sure.

Seem to be getting enough conflicting answers and best guesses to qualify this as a Difficult Question.

Is there anyone likely to know more definitively who I should tag / reach out to directly?