FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

ive accepted bid for o'shea but i made it so he goes at the end of the season rather than straight away.

i could do with him helping secure the title and i like to rotate the squad too and hes been solid in his appearances.

gonna give kieron lee a chance in second season and see how he does

thanks again guys icon14.gif

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should probably look in the tactics thread, but I'm going to use my constant insightful posting as an excuse for any possible misplacement.

I'm looking to tweak my tactics and one of the individual settings I'm unhappy with is the DMC. The only slider I'm not sure about is Closing Down. I seem to remember wwfan suggesting a high setting in his 07 theories to prevent the player from dropping back into the defence, but the re-naming of the slider puts me off slightly, as I don't want him straying too far out of position closing players down all over the pitch. Also, do people give him man or zonal marking please? I'd instinctly go for zonal to protect the whole area, but again I seem to remember wwfan recommending man marking.

I always use zonal marking as man marking seems to be a bit flawed.

As for the DM, I give my MCd CD of 9, with the MCa on 11, so that the MCa starts closing down just before the half way line and the MCd just after the opposition break into my half. For a DM, you'd probably want to lower this to 7 or 8. I think it's more to do with his mentality and FWRs that make him go back into the d-line.

Re closing down values: Thanks very much, that's nice and logical.

I just got a goal of the month award

Berbatov for four consecutive months icon_cool.gif Just had Ronaldo score his first hat-trick for the club too in a 4-0 win against Liverpool icon_cool.gif

Boring you with mundane facts from my game with cool smilies attached icon_cool.gif

You'll be pleased to hear crazy gra, that Jo gave Ferdinand a tough 90 minutes in my recent 0-0 draw with CSKA. He seemed to be able to roll him with ease on the odd occasion it was played forward. I think I'll be buying Akinfeev on the strength of that game - 18 bloody shots he saved.

Originally posted by trundle:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scottme01:

would you accept 8.5 million for john O'Shea? (1st season in january)

Very much depends on how much cover you feel you'd have left in your squad, as you don't want to leave yourself short when it comes to the fixture congested run-in. I think he's a great squad player to have due to his versatility, but 8.5m's more than a fair price for him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sell him and buy borre

Originally posted by xx11:

Quick update from me now 2011/12 completed.

Charity Shield vs Arsenal - 3-3 (Evans, Cerci x2). Won on penalties

European Super Cup vs Olympique Lyonais - 3-1 victory (Bojan, own goal, Buonanotte)

League Cup 4th Round vs Derby - 0-1 Defeat. What can I say? it was bad!

World Club Championship vs Saitama Utd - 5-0 (Bojan x 3, Saviet, Alfaro)

FA Cup vs Everton - 4-3 (Saviet x 2, Pique, Bojan)

Champions League vs Real Madriad - 3-2 (Anderson, Dos Santos, Fabio)

Premiership - Unbeaten, infact won every match for first time ever. Made up for league cup disappointment a little icon_smile.gif

Top 3 strikers: Bojan & Rossi - 22 goals each. Tevez 21.

Rooney only scored 15 this season, but topped the assist charts with 20.

Transfers during pre-season of 2012/13

Only limited transfers in:

Free - Adriano (Inter)

offered him 20k less then wanted and still wished to sign. Will get some matches but wanted him to tutor a little. Mind you, he may be a whiner so will have to be careful.

Free - Alessandro Tuia (Lazio)

Need to bolster my defence with youngster due to some getting on now (evra 30, rio 33 and declining rapidly icon_frown.gif )

Free - Loic Abenzoar (Olympique Lyonnais)

Decent looking youngster to replace Evans (most likely) in the cup team as he be moving up to the league team in rio's place)

600k - Fabio (Corinthians - regen) 18 year old CB. Looks like he may be a decent player with alot of training

So far no sales, only lots of loans to Antwerp. Need to look at my squad and assess who I want to let go. Turned down some 18million+30% offers for Fabio (the actual pre-arranged transfer one). Seems he may be better then alot of people say. He performed well, better then maybe his stats suggest but I think he still getting better.

One to watch

This guy looks like a good young player, just came into my youth team and at 16 he looking a strong prospect

Peter Moore

Additional information on my career.

I took control of Italy on 10 July 2011, more first dab into internation management. Not sure why, they had no manager even though apparently Capello was hired a year earlier. They were dwindling in the Euro qualifiers when I took over, however with a complete change in tactics and new players added, out of the blue, to help the squad they eased into 2nd qualifying spot just below Scotland. Following on to this the squad went all the way through to the final, where we won on penalties following a 4-4 thriller over spain. As a note, just to tell how drastic the team changed with me in charge, 2 players from Argentina, Left back Maxwell of Inter Milan and the other, a man many will know... Edison Cavani. If you ever Italian manager though, look up Alessio Cerci. I got him on a free from Roma in 08/09, and when I called him to the Italian squad he scored 7 goals in 8 games.

After less then year in charge I pulled the rabbit out the hat and saved their national game, but on the 362nd day in charge I resigned. The England job was available finally when McLaren was finally sacked for not getting out the group stage. They took their time firing him as he remained in Job even though not qualified for previous world cup finals.

Now I have command of the England team finally, and it is time to restore pride to our nation icon_smile.gif And you never know, I may one day have an England team made up of all Man Utd players. That is the day I look forward too

How old was adriano?

Originally posted by deadmanwalking11:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trundle:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scottme01:

Very much depends on how much cover you feel you'd have left in your squad, as you don't want to leave yourself short when it comes to the fixture congested run-in. I think he's a great squad player to have due to his versatility, but 8.5m's more than a fair price for him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sell him and buy borre </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Who has some crap defensive stats? icon13.gif

Berbatov for four consecutive months Just had Ronaldo score his first hat-trick for the club too in a 4-0 win against Liverpool

Boring you with mundane facts from my game with cool smilies attached

You'll be pleased to hear crazy gra, that Jo gave Ferdinand a tough 90 minutes in my recent 0-0 draw with CSKA. He seemed to be able to roll him with ease on the odd occasion it was played forward. I think I'll be buying Akinfeev on the strength of that game - 18 bloody shots he saved.

You probably have more people on long shots mixed/often than I do - I only have my AMC on mixed, everyone else on rarely.

And I'm pleased, but not surprised. You're tempting me to ditch ideas of buying Aguero in favour of STbs like him and Amauri. I do feel I could do with some aerial prowess up front, although I'll never get a WP for Jo atm.

Don't too heavily judge keepers until you've seen them on 8.0.2 as hopefully they'll have much harder shots to deal with.

Can somebody please give me an explanation for this:

I signed David Beckham from LA Galaxy due to his experience and to also tutor youngsters such as John Bostock and John Fleck. During the summer, (2011) his contract expired and at the time, he was in my reserves as he had been injured for a while. He was very interested in taking coaching up before going into management, but he's vanished!! When i went to offer him a new contract, he'd gone! I couldn't believe it!

Why is this?

Originally posted by crazy gra:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deadmanwalking11:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trundle:

sell him and buy borre </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Who has some crap defensive stats? icon13.gif

Berbatov for four consecutive months Just had Ronaldo score his first hat-trick for the club too in a 4-0 win against Liverpool

Boring you with mundane facts from my game with cool smilies attached

You probably have more people on long shots mixed/often than I do - I only have my AMC on mixed, everyone else on rarely.

And I'm pleased, but not surprised. You're tempting me to ditch ideas of buying Aguero in favour of STbs like him and Amauri. I do feel I could do with some aerial prowess up front, although I'll never get a WP for Jo atm.

Don't too heavily judge keepers until you've seen them on 8.0.2 as hopefully they'll have much harder shots to deal with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His stats are good!!!!!!!!

I actually have everyone on rarely as I find my players tend to shoot from distance a fair bit no matter what I tell them. It always seems to be when I'm chasing the game in the final few minutes, with some oaf like O'Shea taking it upon themselves to attempt a wonder goal everytime they get it.

And everyone look here and see if you agree with me on it, please.

Not something that I've noticed but I'll keep an eye out for it when I play again.

No idea re vanishing Beckham. You could upload your saved game in the bugs forum for them to take a look at.

crazy - Yeah noticed that and also just had a run of three games with an early red card in each (Pique, Fletcher & Ferdinand) Pique & Ferdi were last men, Fletcher was a two footed lunge! Each one was in the first 5 mins and totally ruined the game for me!

As for Aguero you should get him, absolute quality!

AVB has terrible stats such as concentration, decisions and positioning might not be very good either. He's a much better winger.

And you don't have to quote the whole quote when you reply to someone.

Originally posted by Adiee:

That's the first thing I checked out. There's nothing saying he had retired! He's vanished into thin air!

You might want to check the bugs forum then.

My current game's going pretty well. Evans and Breno are playing extremely well at DC together despite a slight lack of pace and Foster has started well too. Gibson is nearly holding down a first team spot with some good performances and also got 2nd in Young Player of the Month for March. I mainly wanted to give Nani and Tevez a good trial by playing them as much as possible. Nani is still failing to impress, but Tevez has picked up recently with some good performances as well as goals. Some recent goals have been absolutely key. The goals in the first match were a great team for him to score against (and he got MotM), whilst he saved my bacon against lucky opponents in the other two:

01082008095538qm7.th.jpg 01082008095602jd5.th.jpg 01082008100300ah3.th.jpg

Originally posted by Rico73:

crazy - Yeah noticed that and also just had a run of three games with an early red card in each (Pique, Fletcher & Ferdinand) Pique & Ferdi were last men, Fletcher was a two footed lunge! Each one was in the first 5 mins and totally ruined the game for me!

As for Aguero you should get him, absolute quality!

I'm talking about yellows for little fouls that would usually only warrant a yellow card after a few offences.

Yeah I know what you mean crazy, just seems to give a yellow card for very little and the old 'he's on thin ice now' line comes up! As with you it appears that Nani just isn't doing it! I was going to get rid of PJS but he seems to be a reasonable replacement for either Ronnie or Fernandez (as has been said he is superb!) so may off-load Nani instead. With regards to Borre, I have him as a secondary RB or DM and he is very consistent even though his stats aren't that great in areas, averageing 7.4 over half a season so far!

Nani just hardly ever gets an 8 for me. Usually gets 7s, which isn't too bad, but not when he gets more 6s than 8s. A few of his stats aren't brilliant either, so I may look for a replacement.

Originally posted by JawKam:

Who would you sign de rossi or fabregas to replace hargreaves as the MC position? i'm planning to sell since he's worth 15m and that he's getting a bit old now... in the 4th season btw

Hargreaves must be 30/31? That's not old for a DM as he should be top quality for another 5/6 years. De Rossi would be better than Fabregas as Fabregas is an MCa, but I really wouldn't see Hargreaves.

He's one of the quality, start-of-game players that you shouldn't sell. Try getting Lucas or another young DM to replace him eventually if you want, but not for now.

Nani just hardly ever gets an 8 for me. Usually gets 7s, which isn't too bad, but not when he gets more 6s than 8s. A few of his stats aren't brilliant either, so I may look for a replacement.

So who to get to replace Nani? Will Gabriath from our youth team turn good as he did in '07? Also has anyone got to use McCormack yet as he was Worldclass in '07!

If I can unsettle Alves then I'll get him and use him on the right wing. I'd prefer someone who can play both sides, but right wing is the priority.

I'm presuming you're using Ronnie on the left then??? I've never had Messi personally as the money has always put me off but is he as good as he should be??

No, I use Ronaldo on the right usually unless Nani is playing. Giggs or Andy play on the left. If Nani goes then I'll only have Ronaldo who can play on the right, so I'd need a right winger.

I won't sell Nani until the end of the second season anyway unless I get a massive offer because Giggs will need replacing first. He's still better than Nani atm but I imagine his pace will be quite poor when the 2nd season starts. I was forgetting I have Matty! He's been out for nearly 3 months now with a torn calf, but if I don't use Giggs next season much then I'll have Matty and Ronaldo on the wings with Andy playing in the centre to back them up along with Nani if needed. And there's still Martin.

Originally posted by JawKam:

i've got banega as well, will he do the job?

Might do a backup job well enough if you train him hard in defensive training.

I won't sell Nani until the end of the second season anyway unless I get a massive offer because Giggs will need replacing first. He's still better than Nani atm but I imagine his pace will be quite poor when the 2nd season starts. I was forgetting I have Matty! He's been out for nearly 3 months now with a torn calf, but if I don't use Giggs next season much then I'll have Matty and Ronaldo on the wings with Andy playing in the centre to back them up along with Nani if needed. And there's still Martin.

Got to be honest I don't pay much attention to RM's as we have the best in the world! I am in my fourth season and Antonio Bryan is developing well enough to back-up Ronnie. I spose there is Walcott but I hate buying from teams I don't like IRL.How's de guzman in '08?

Originally posted by Dave Liddle:

Nani hasnt been that instrumental for me either, but ive signed bentely so i tend to play ronnie on the left

You have got to go and get Matias Fernandez, he is superb as mentioned earlier on in the thread.

I was thinking someone like Messi if the money was available!

If I can unsettle Alves then I'll get him and use him on the right wing. I'd prefer someone who can play both sides, but right wing is the priority.

I wouldn't recommend that. He's great technically but much more at ease at FB. You should go for Quaresma, Silva etc. Nani's pretty decent for me though. Consistent enough and gets 8's quite alot. My wingers always get the high ratings consistently while my central midfielders suffer.

Originally posted by Evon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazy gra:

I wouldn't recommend that. He's great technically but much more at ease at FB. You should go for Quaresma, Silva etc. Nani's pretty decent for me though. Consistent enough and gets 8's quite alot. My wingers always get the high ratings consistently while my central midfielders suffer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your spot on Evan, Alves is a better Fb but saying that I find de Silvestri even better and there are much better RM's out there. Not sure about Quaresma in '08 haven't tried him. Silva is a LM is he not??

Originally posted by Dave Liddle:

ye Rico73 i have fernandez, i play 2 AMC's behind a lone striker holding up the ball rooney/tevez, fernandez has been a gem since signing him

so who are you playing as the lone striker Rooney or Tevez then two AMC's? If so I would play Matias and Rooney behind Tevez

Rico73: if both are fully fit i play tevez on his own with matias and rooney behind yes. if either rooney or tevez are not performing too well at half time i switch them round and usually improves their performances. All 3 are banging in the goals rooney has 35, tevez has 25 and matias 22.

Gibson is nearly holding down a first team spot with some good performances and also got 2nd in Young Player of the Month for March. I mainly wanted to give Nani and Tevez a good trial by playing them as much as possible. Nani is still failing to impress, but Tevez has picked up recently with some good performances as well as goals. Some recent goals have been absolutely key. The goals in the first match were a great team for him to score against (and he got MotM), whilst he saved my bacon against lucky opponents in the other two:

I think nani is a good replacement of giggs

Got to be honest I don't pay much attention to RM's as we have the best in the world! I am in my fourth season and Antonio Bryan is developing well enough to back-up Ronnie. I spose there is Walcott but I hate buying from teams I don't like IRL.How's de guzman in '08?

Donnt sell Nani man!!

Originally posted by Evon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazy gra:

I wouldn't recommend that. He's great technically but much more at ease at FB. You should go for Quaresma, Silva etc. Nani's pretty decent for me though. Consistent enough and gets 8's quite alot. My wingers always get the high ratings consistently while my central midfielders suffer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>As for Silva I shall see how he does for my Valencia team. Quaresma does look good too and might not cost too much compared to the likes of Messi, but I won't need another winger until the 3rd season I reckon.

Re Quaresma's price: he's just gone to Arsenal in Jan 2009 for 18.25m.

Is Francesco Bolzoni any good on other people's games? I've only noticed him on this save, and have loaned him for cover at DMC after my original target, Maldonado, wasn't granted a work permit.

And for anyone who plays with a playmaker, I'd thoroughly recommend setting Ronaldo as it. I've felt in the past that I haven't been getting the best out of him, but since giving him the role midway through last season, it's totally transformed him. You could probably arguue that it's turned me into a bit of a one man team, but he's now averaging a goal per game and an assist in every other.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Evon:

I wouldn't recommend that. He's great technically but much more at ease at FB. You should go for Quaresma, Silva etc. Nani's pretty decent for me though. Consistent enough and gets 8's quite alot. My wingers always get the high ratings consistently while my central midfielders suffer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>As for Silva I shall see how he does for my Valencia team. Quaresma does look good too and might not cost too much compared to the likes of Messi, but I won't need another winger until the 3rd season I reckon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silva is a legend you baffoon, gets alot of goals, a massive number of assists, can play on both wings, everything you're looking for. In my Valencia game he has been the 2nd best player for me in both seasons, and hes only behind Villa because Villa scores 50 goals a season. He also keeps winning midfielder of the year (UEFA) and he would be a great pairing to Ronaldo <3

[quote

I think your spot on Evan, Alves is a better Fb but saying that I find de Silvestri even better and there are much better RM's out there. Not sure about Quaresma in '08 haven't tried him. Silva is a LM is he not??

Silva is AM LRC in my game. He is quality.

Ben Arfa (from Lyon??) is good (and cheap) picked him up for about 5m good back up on left wing and also good as a first choice.

Originally posted by Jimmy Valentino:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Evon:

I wouldn't recommend that. He's great technically but much more at ease at FB. You should go for Quaresma, Silva etc. Nani's pretty decent for me though. Consistent enough and gets 8's quite alot. My wingers always get the high ratings consistently while my central midfielders suffer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>As for Silva I shall see how he does for my Valencia team. Quaresma does look good too and might not cost too much compared to the likes of Messi, but I won't need another winger until the 3rd season I reckon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silva is a legend you baffoon, gets alot of goals, a massive number of assists, can play on both wings, everything you're looking for. In my Valencia game he has been the 2nd best player for me in both seasons, and hes only behind Villa because Villa scores 50 goals a season. He also keeps winning midfielder of the year (UEFA) and he would be a great pairing to Ronaldo <3 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I said I'll see how he does for my Valencia team. He had great stats on 07 but didn't overly impress, so time shall tell.

Re Quaresma's price: he's just gone to Arsenal in Jan 2009 for 18.25m.

Is Francesco Bolzoni any good on other people's games? I've only noticed him on this save, and have loaned him for cover at DMC after my original target, Maldonado, wasn't granted a work permit.

And for anyone who plays with a playmaker, I'd thoroughly recommend setting Ronaldo as it. I've felt in the past that I haven't been getting the best out of him, but since giving him the role midway through last season, it's totally transformed him. You could probably arguue that it's turned me into a bit of a one man team, but he's now averaging a goal per game and an assist in every other.

That's a pretty decent price for Quaresma.

Never heard of Bolzoni, but I had Maldonado on a game on 07 and he wasn't that good. Why are you getting a DM when you have Hargy and Carrick?!

Not sure there's any world class potentials, but the better ones are the older youth e.g. Martin, J.Evans, Gibson, Hewson, Cathcart, Simpson.

I didn't like Amos on 07, but he seems to be a little better and a better prospect than Zieler in 08.

Guys, has anyone seen many of the current youth team come through and be good enough in '08 I know that in '07 there were quite a few that became world class!

Alot of them are -10 / -9 / -8 PA so it can be random for the youth be any good.

In mine I have Fabio, Evans, Pique, Simpson, Gibson all in one of my teams.

Eagles is decent enough but not great, same for brandy who probably can do it for a lower prem team and Bardsley is ok.

You can find better players then most of them mind you, but these ones I find can do the job when necessary, but I may have just been lucky with the draw (ie fabio is a -9 I believe, and as he one of the players I training tracked I know he 173PA on my my game)

Only way you will know how good they are is use a third party tool (which I dont like doing generally but was researching training), or to just wait and see for a few years, which is what i primary have done hence not knowning how good Brandy etc actually is.

Oh, some say fraizer campbell is good as well, but in my game i dont think he above championship level. Hell, even transfer listed for 0 for 2 years had no interest (that said nor did eagles but I may give him some runouts soon to see how he is as shipped out all regens for loan)

Archived