Leaking goals for fun whilst having one of the lowest "shots against" and "xG against" in the league

I'm left completely frustrated at the minute with this current tactic I am using due to the fact that it actually seems to work well at controlling games and minimizing the amount of chances the opposition actually gets yet we are conceding about 2.0 goals per game...

The opposition are either scoring screamers from outside the box consistently or they are being incredibly clinical by scoring multiple goals with just 2-3 shots, I've ran out of ideas of how to fix it outside of potential solutions in the market. 

4-3-3.PNG

Conceded.PNG

Shots against.PNG

xG against.PNG

The first thing that comes to my mind is to remove Drop Off More because you set your defensive line to be higher than standard. It doesn't make sense. Next thing i will recommend is to set your trigger press to much more often.

With all due respect to @dzek, it is incorrect to say "drop off more" is incompatible" with a high DL, I would argue this is exactly what it is there for. 

I am suffering the same thing and think it is down to concentration and teamwork factors in my backline, when do you tend to concede the goal? 

17 minutes ago, Os said:

With all due respect to @dzek, it is incorrect to say "drop off more" is incompatible" with a high DL, I would argue this is exactly what it is there for. 

I am suffering the same thing and think it is down to concentration and teamwork factors in my backline, when do you tend to concede the goal? 

Here's a detailed discussion on why what @dzek is saying makes sense. 

@KloppageTime for me I would say long range shots are good goals to concede. Aside from that, I would imagine the majority of goals you're conceding are due to getting exposed on the counter attack. 

• 3 months later...
On 28/11/2023 at 22:12, enigmatic said:

You've only played nine matches and variance is a thing, especially when it comes to stuff like conceding from long shots. Just for a change it's probably not your tactics :) 

With only nine matches played, variance is expected, and conceding from long shots may not necessarily reflect your tactics. Keep experimenting!Magic 8 baII

Personally I don't think the match engine deals well with the IFB forming a back 3.

Always find my IFB and the CB on the other side wandering up field, so rather than having a back 3 you're left with a back 1. 

1 hour ago, CJ_Randell said:

Personally I don't think the match engine deals well with the IFB forming a back 3.

Always find my IFB and the CB on the other side wandering up field, so rather than having a back 3 you're left with a back 1. 

I find a back 3 with two IFB to be very stable! I would look at traits added to the IFB's if that's happening to you.

IWB is a bit more of a risk for defensive structure compared to a Libero(d).

Edited by Cloud9

16 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

I find a back 3 with two IFB to be very stable! I would look at traits added to the IFB's if that's happening to you.

IWB is a bit more of a risk for defensive structure compared to a Libero(d).

But that's the 2 IFB's situation where you're probably playing with a Libero stepping into midfield. 

The poster's tactic, and from my experience, is where you only use 1 IFB and the opposite full back joins the midfield or attack. 

This is where I've had issues, players like Pascal Struijk who have no player traits and is selected as a CB-De often ends up in the left half space outside the oppositions box. 

Edit: I've very quickly thrown together a tactic and 7 minutes into the highlights found 2 notable examples. 

Again, Struijk is a CB-De with no traits to encourage him to get forward. 

He's number 21. 

I both instances of the ball is tured over there's a very real possibility of a 2v2 situation on the counter. 

The whole point of playing with a rest defence of a back 3 is to prevent this. 

8a475d2f-9e5a-4ebc-a53d-4bea5086a969.thumb.png.dba169380f5124c4de9ea5e246455d4b.png

3d18663c-f4c7-4953-9035-c7a993b48003.thumb.png.47eba32a545a756f5c9618d2194466a0.png

Edited by CJ_Randell

I'm beginning to think it's a back 3 issue in general. 

This time I have a 3 CB system, CD-De BPD-De and WCB-su 

My CD-De (Number 30) is so far up the field for no reason with 2 players ready to counter behind him. 

Again, he has no instructions or player traits to account for this. 

b88f2129-787e-4541-97de-838ce696c42d.thumb.png.734f454aa71b5b8a5cb741296e4592c6.png

12 hours ago, CJ_Randell said:

I'm beginning to think it's a back 3 issue in general. 

This time I have a 3 CB system, CD-De BPD-De and WCB-su 

My CD-De (Number 30) is so far up the field for no reason with 2 players ready to counter behind him. 

Again, he has no instructions or player traits to account for this. 

b88f2129-787e-4541-97de-838ce696c42d.thumb.png.734f454aa71b5b8a5cb741296e4592c6.png

Difficult to say from two still images, if you're experiencing it consistently I would recommend uploading your tactic and getting assistance that way. 

Players role's don't operate in isolation, which is important to remember whenever you're running into difficulties. I've found TI's like focus play down one side can see defensive player's advance higher up the pitch than usual (I'm not saying that's necessarily the problem here, but giving an example). 

Posting stats behind the problem can be beneficial as well for diagnosing what's going on. Player's can make bad decisions and get sucked out of position, are you noticing because it's an error in judgement from the player? A heat map for the centerback would give you an idea of if it's an isolated event or something that is indeed happening consistently. 

Edited by Cloud9