Set Piece Coaching: Delegate or not?

I have no interest in set piece coaching and would only do it if needed. (Moreover, I find the new FM24 interface quite confusing, and am still looking for a good tutorial video...).

Question: do you find that delegating set piece coaching to your set piece coach delivers better results than doing it yourself?

Thanks for your insights and experience on this topic.

Hired one with good stats for it and ended up taking it over. Had him setup the set pieces to try it out.

in short, we lost the 2nd ball too much and condeded goals from the edge of the box (We had wide open opposition).

Now IMHO - A Set piece coach with high tactical and set piece stats should see this, but this did not get suggested or reviewed, which it should. It did not in 3 months of staff meetings or tactical setup. Although this is FM and staff advise might be better overall, but has a long way to go.

Funny enough - all I did was move a few players to defend the edge of the box, and we've conceded much less since. What we have conceded has been completely understandable (Mis-Matched Header matchup due to injuries etc).

I've not had enough time to see if training the set pieces really makes them grow much as yet, although the same staff member does do that training

I currently mess about with positioning, marking and such, but leave the takers and players in the actual positions to my staff, with quite good results so far.

Believe me, when you get used to it, it is much better than the old way.

I used to get so infuriated when setting up the old system with players jumping about all over the place and changing roles, it was like a game of chess most of the time.

19 hours ago, Ngoc said:

it's a game if you have fun setting them up do it yourself if you don't enjoy it put it on auto

why do people always think about min/max what is best

try to enjoy the game the way it feels more natural.

My goal is not to have fun. It's to obsess and do whatever it takes to win.    :D

Yeah, a lot of people play like that I really can't understand it.

the game does really well at letting you automate whatever you don't like to do

for instance I hate pep talks and interviews and side matches-shouts so I look for an assistant with good people management and motivation and let him deal with those. (that honestly is quite realistic I would probably do that in real life as well ahhahaa)

I love to schedule training (I actually manually do all 3 teams main team U20 and U18 all training week by week) and pick players that are cheap but good and so on.... so I keep all the contracts manually I never let any of the AI negotiate anything or propose anything

what else do I hate mmm... I am not a fan of opposition instruction that's why I look for a coach or assistant with good tactical knowledge and delegate it to them. So far I am enjoying the Set piece but it's a huge time sink so once I find a really really good set piece coach I am sure I will delegate those to him and move on because I don't see myself enjoying redoing it every year. 

I don't plan to do something that I don't enjoy in a videogame honestly winning here (if you are good in 2-3 things) is pretty easy the rest is an overkill let the AI deal with those to keep the game slightly challenging (plus you don't need to deal with crap you don't want to! it's a win win!)

Edited by Ngoc