[Suggestion] Goalkeepers get injuries and cards during games

Grez

It's actually crazy that they don't already. I suspect this will have been suggested before, but I did search and I couldn't see anything specifically about it.

I have thousands of hours across several iterations of FM, and I've never seen my goalkeeper get a red card or an injury during a game. Anyone who watches football knows this is unrealistic - several GKs will get a red card across a season, and several more will take an injury. Most people I know don't bring a goalkeeper on the bench on FM, because you don't need to unless the competition rules force you to.

Pros:

1. Adds realism
  2. Makes backup goalkeepers more relevant / worth thinking about during transfer windows
  3. Increases chance of us using and developing our youth/backup keepers, which is rewarding for the manager when you see the development
  4. Makes bench choices more interesting as you have fewer spots on the bench for outfield players

Cons:

1. Non-GK players playing in goal might need looking at to ensure they don't cause anything weird in the match engine - eg. does having an extremely poor GK cause opponent strikers to turn into prime Maradona?

I suspect injuries would be an easy first step as the logic / need for new animations would be lower than it would be for GK specific fouls.

Cheers,

Grez

This must be one of those questions. Everybody knows there's something "wrong", but... nothing happens.

I hope that FM would be a simulation, and every year some of these things you mentioned happen to goalies IRL.

Especially now when delaying game causes a warning more easily.

But, we just have to keep writing about this - some day SI has to do something. Or, maybe not...

Let's hope some SI Staff member would tell us why this solution has been chosen.

On 04/10/2023 at 19:09, Grez said:

It's actually crazy that they don't already

Red cards for goalkeepers are in the game. You know why I know? Well...

s6p0ZOC.gif

On 04/10/2023 at 22:39, Grez said:

It's actually crazy that they don't already. I suspect this will have been suggested before, but I did search and I couldn't see anything specifically about it.

I have thousands of hours across several iterations of FM, and I've never seen my goalkeeper get a red card or an injury during a game. Anyone who watches football knows this is unrealistic - several GKs will get a red card across a season, and several more will take an injury. Most people I know don't bring a goalkeeper on the bench on FM, because you don't need to unless the competition rules force you to.

Pros:

1. Adds realism
  2. Makes backup goalkeepers more relevant / worth thinking about during transfer windows
  3. Increases chance of us using and developing our youth/backup keepers, which is rewarding for the manager when you see the development
  4. Makes bench choices more interesting as you have fewer spots on the bench for outfield players

Cons:

1. Non-GK players playing in goal might need looking at to ensure they don't cause anything weird in the match engine - eg. does having an extremely poor GK cause opponent strikers to turn into prime Maradona?

I suspect injuries would be an easy first step as the logic / need for new animations would be lower than it would be for GK specific fouls.

Cheers,

Grez

Agree, GK  red cards should be at the very least common enough so that people think twice before not keeping a GK in thier bench...

3 hours ago, XaW said:

Red cards for goalkeepers are in the game. You know why I know? Well...

s6p0ZOC.gif

Hah that's amazing, I love it. I guess this specific kind of red card should be rare, you don't see many GKs getting sent off for hand-ball.

The obvious changes I'd like to see would be red cards for

1. Bringing down an attacker outside of the box
  2. Second yellow card offences

We'd probably need to add more yellow cards for things like time-wasting and dissent too, if they're not already a thing, because I'm not sure if I can remember my GK even picking up yellow cards, nevermind reds.

Edited by Grez

2 hours ago, Grez said:

Hah that's amazing, I love it. I guess this specific kind of red card should be rare, you don't see many GKs getting sent off for hand-ball.

The obvious changes I'd like to see would be red cards for

1. Bringing down an attacker outside of the box
  2. Second yellow card offences

We'd probably need to add more yellow cards for things like time-wasting and dissent too, if they're not already a thing, because I'm not sure if I can remember my GK even picking up yellow cards, nevermind reds.

Of course, I think they might be a tad bit too rare currently, hopefully it will be tweaked for FM24. Just wanted to let you know it does exist, even if it's not seen too often...

There is not a great explanation to keep a goalie in the seat in extreme group insofar as you are playing on the web. Goalkeepers can't get harmed or get a red card. On the off chance that you are playing disconnected I accept getting a red is conceivable. However, not certain about wounds.