Voetbal - Bergkamp Edition

mannojunior

12 hours ago, warlock said:

Certainly looks that way :thup:. Some excellent team and individual performances.

Hope you can keep the gang together, at least for the rest of the season. But I had Sutalo in season 2 of my Brentford save and City came in for him and he wanted away. You might be wise to line up a replacement.

I’ve accepted that he’ll probably be gone in the summer. If I can keep him until then I’ll be happy. 

if he goes I’ll need a big replacement as he is the main man. I’ll take the advice and start scouting for a potential replacement!

46 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Second season things have really clicked. Testament to what you’re trying to achieve. Did you make any tactical adjustments, or just down to the new guys coming in? And the team starting to understand the style. 

It’s been such a good season so far and I am a little surprised at just how well it is going. 

The only tactical change was moving the wingers from a support duty to attack. It seems to have helped out a lot.

ajaxbadge.png.79917b9d7d700896c95ab76d8e869b48.png

Voetbal - Bergkamp Edition - January 2024 Update

Results

s2janresults.png.18e28a55cec7e52aaed2f287d2003717.png

Another clean sweep for Bergkamp's men in January and another stride towards the Eredivisie Title. By all accounts it was not the most difficult month to navigate but with the absence of Kudus and Diawara it was always going to be interesting. Add to that the fact that Naci Unuvar was unavailable for a large portion of the month due to injury and it caused us a slight headache up top in the 10 role. Isak Johannesson took his chance in the 10 and was an able deputy to Kudus and Unuvar. FC Twente appear to be a shadow of their former selves and you would not realise that they are actually the reigning champions. Chermiti continues scoring goals throughout January, but what else is new?

Eredivisie Table 

S2JANEREDIVISIE.thumb.png.654059c8cb2e12d73ed1acfbf002af73.png

With 14 games to go we have opened up a 9 point gap between us and Feyenoord who are trying to chase us in second. If we bottle it from here it will go down in history as one of the biggest bottle jobs in the history of football. 

Players Stats

S2JANSTATS.png.f04f62ff128afaab39427e6498f3b3dd.png

It's a clean sweep when it comes to goals, assists and average rating in the league. Chermiti is clear at the top of the goalscoring charts with 19. Abde and Brekalo are fighting for the most assists with 11 and 10 respectively. Kudus and Sutalo top the charts for average rating as the cement themselves as the best two players in the division. The stats just back up what an incredible season we are having and the boys are doing the business for Dennis.

S2JANGOLDENBOY.png.23a68eee1fecfbc4160da332dbad1d62.png

Youssef Chermiti gets recognition for his fine form by picking up the European Golden Boy aware. A fantastic achievement for 19 year-old in just his second season at the club. His goal scoring record is insane, with 78 goals in 102 games.

S2JANISAK.thumb.png.5230a17f830effcd9735ed65866ad536.png

Another young lad who deserves his plaudits is Isak, who has featured heavily for us this season, either playing in the 8 or the 10. He's shifted to the 10 during January with Kudus and Unuvar unavailable and he has excelled in that role. The 10 is not his long term role with the talent we have at our disposal but he will slot back into that 8 position and continue to be an attacking threat for us. This lad will be special in the years to come.

S2BASIC.thumb.png.a70d9e47362081e33cf88fbe0eff61f2.png

Mr consistent certainly deserves some praise with his work often going under the radar. A hard working box to box midfielder who continues to chip in with assists and goals. He is invaluable to this Ajax side.

January Transfer Window

Heading into January it certainly felt like the vultures were swooping, ready to pick apart this Ajax side, just like they do in real life. I was determined not to let that happen. I had no intention of letting any key players leave in January. At the outset we did say that we would continue to sell players and reinvest where possible but selling in January just doesn't make sense for us and certainly not in this position. In the summer we may revisit things but for now, our gameplan is clear.

S2JANUTDOFFER.png.1def7809d22812f975db634b7f5be804.png

Are they for real? £37 million up front is a joke.

S2JANUTDOFFER2.png.11504fd97b9c34784b6b8f9555380d0a.png

And they are back. At least they improved their offer, right? Still way off my valuation and it was a swift rejection. Surprisingly, this ended Manchester United's pursuit of Josip Sutalo and it also ended all interest in our star man. Phew.

S2JANBROBBEYSALE.png.40bb9de3d6fc2b7e607f1a279f66700d.png

Good business for us. Chermiti and Kudus limited Brobbey to just a handful of appearances this season. I was also conscious not to stifle a young Dutch player's progress and £25 million represents great value in my opinion.

S2JANLEONARDOSIGNING.png.02db5bf8b0820d5b87bd22803f593755.png

With £40 million in the bank and Brobbey out the door I really did need to bring in an alternative to Chermiti who could provide an out and out rotation option. I was initially tracking Roony Bardghji who was available for around £15 million. In the end, I opted for a young Brazilian in the form of Marcos Leonardo who joined for a touch over £15 million. 

S2JANLEONARDO.thumb.png.8f26cb95f156d56d2b116c045d9a8c94.png

Leonardo is an incredibly good signing and provides us with pure firepower up top. Will he struggle to adapt to Dutch football? It took him just 8 minutes on his debut to net 2 goals. This man is special.

You seem to be doing well. However, I wonder why you aren't really using any youth products from Ajax itself.

I'm doing an Ajax game myself where I'm at the end of the 2nd season, and there is an insane amount of youth talent coming through from the youth teams at this point.

1 hour ago, diLLa88 said:

You seem to be doing well. However, I wonder why you aren't really using any youth products from Ajax itself.

I'm doing an Ajax game myself where I'm at the end of the 2nd season, and there is an insane amount of youth talent coming through from the youth teams at this point.

I’ve promoted Hato into the senior squad and sent a fair few out on loan. This isn’t a long term save - probably one more season left after this before the FM24 beta comes out. The narrative of the save is more about that tactic than the players 

15 minutes ago, mannojunior said:

I’ve promoted Hato into the senior squad and sent a fair few out on loan. This isn’t a long term save - probably one more season left after this before the FM24 beta comes out. The narrative of the save is more about that tactic than the players 

Fair enough

ajaxbadge.png.dcf6b18f9dea531deaf417c0c382e1a9.png

Voetbal - Bergamp Edition - February/March 2024

S2FEBKUDUSINJ.png.007ff0e0a141a382041424c65e2307f7.png

Not the most helpful start to what is a very important period for us in our challenge for the Title. However, we are much better equipped to deal with it this season with the likes of Unuvar and Johanesson available.

Results

S2MARRESULTS.png.9da8aea5d70b71e7e219548b4ea489a4.png

February was an incredibly busy month and the fixture congestion caught up with us. I rotated more than I probably should have done and this showed with uninspiring draws against Mijmegen and NAC Breda. I did start to wonder whether the season had caught up with us and then we played Arsenal. Wow. What a first leg result that was. Despite going 1-0 down early we picked ourselves up and absolutely tore them apart. By far our most complete performance. We followed that up with a decent spell in the Eredivisie and secured ourselves a spot in the Dutch Cup Final. A 4-0 win over Groningen had me confident going into the second leg against Arsenal and well, we lost. But our first leg thrashing meant we progressed with a 7-5 scoreline. I certainly did not expect us to beat Arsenal over two legs considering just how well they have done domestically in this save so far. This lead to a fine finish to the month with 4-1 and 5-1 victories moving us another step closer to that title.

Eredivisie Table

S2MAREREDIVISIE.thumb.png.11c55006960f4fc8f8a17de76e3aa89a.png

Feyenoord have not relented in their chase to catch us and the draws in February mean that our gap at the top of the Eredivisie is closed to 6 points. Still a comfortable margin but we must remain focussed with 6 games to go.

Champions League Quarter-Final Draw

S2MARUCLDRAW.png.68c2d47fb8cc6d2a538e963e710bc570.png

There were no easy draws here. If pushed, I would have probably chosen to face either Napoli or Milan but we get given a tie against La Liga leaders, Barcelona. They've got an incredible squad and it will be a good test for us.

S2MARRENSCH.thumb.png.47b8d1ce8c4a73238ca38af0f809d344.png

Rensch has very much become a squad player this season, with 7 starts and 10 sub appearances in the league. Unfortunately he has decided that he'd like to consider his options on the expiration of his contract and I am resigned to losing him on a free.

S2MARABDE.thumb.png.01c9205ef54012f9454e856436084570.png

This man is so, so good. 15 assists and 4 goals so far this season. A remarkable turnaround given that I had almost written him off in the early part of the season. We've got some player on our hands.

Edited by mannojunior

ajaxbadge.png.027ad8a673e14696da8af612dc200eda.png

Voetbal - Bergkamp Edition - 2023/2024 End of Season Review

April Results

S2MAYAPRRES.png.fdfead55b5424d8d3a3a0f284cd56ef0.png

April was always going to be a tough month for us and well, we bossed it. A 4-1 victory at home to Feyenoord all but confirmed the title as we were able to push our lead at the top of the Eredivisie back to 9 points. Comfortable wins over ADO Den Haag and FC Utrecht meant that winning the title would be all but a formality. We picked up our first silverware of the season as we demolished PSV 4-0 in the Dutch Cup final thanks to a brace from Kudus and goals from Leonardo and Chermiti.

May Results

S2MAYRES.png.a9d5d7d4deb5e1cf7676b1c64794e1a8.png

Another perfect month saw us crowned Eredivisie Champions! Comfortable wins over Excelsior, AZ and PSV saw us home with Chermiti continuing his fine form.

S2MAYTITLELIFT.thumb.png.f798d1242ced0e37128b0080320ae9fe.png

What a season from the lads.

S2MAYEREDIVISIETABLE.thumb.png.94785f6d5a4385e33af3921a8eeab2c4.png

One loss, one b*stard loss to FC Utrecht has kept us from having an invincible season. 103 goals scored and a goal difference of 77. Bergkamp has transformed this Ajax side and in quick time. After last season's disappointment it was difficult to say how this year would go but it's clear that the summer transfer business fixed the leaky defence and turned the team into a force. A title winning season with 93 points and an 11 point gap over second placed Feyenoord. We really could not have asked for me from this season domestically. We complete the domestic double and return to being the best side in the Netherlands by a clear distance. Feyenoord and PSV are so far off the pace compared to us. 

Champions League

S2MAYBARCA1.png.2b7f89c6273baf92a3d16a848e6279f7.png

We take that. A superb performance at home and just as it looked like Pedri had sunk us, Marcos Leonardo hit straight back to put the scores level going into the second leg.

S2MAYBARCA2.png.7378fc1b71c965ec64516c1f51671cbc.png

Get the f*ck in. That is a huge result for us. It wasn't pretty but the Icelandic youngster scores the decisive goal in extra time to send us through to the Champions League semi-final where we would face Liverpool.

S2MAYLIV1STLEG.png.2609f02bdec4ee21c272e42d183f15db.png

Bug*er. Certainly not a game that deserved to end in a 2-0 defeat. We didn't create an awful lot but 2-0 feels a tad harsh. 

S2MAYLIV2NDLEG.png.09be986bde67894e56e3ec0355f126f3.png

Gutted. Ultimately, Liverpool were the better team over the two legs and deserved to progress to yet another Champions League final. I couldn't have asked for more from the boys. This just proves we can mix with the big boys in Europe.

Player Stats

S2MAYPLAYERSTATS.png.671a9cbc56eb0b7e5e63f6f573c6e87f.png

A clean sweep in the league. Chermiti finishes the season 11 goals clear for Giminez as he notched an incredible 31 league goals. Impressive for a 19 year-old. Abde and Brekalo fought it out for top spot and it was Abde who came out on top in his breakthrough season. Both players have been incredibly important for us and their output far exceeds the output from our wingers last season. I know I've spoken about our defensive improvement this season but I do think the improvement in numbers from both wingers this season has been just as important for us.

S2MAYGOALS.png.ba9c638197129fdcbdf337652d62d1a0.png

In all competitions Chermiti finishes with an impressive 42 goals. He has had an absolutely outstanding season. Kudus comes in second after another impressive season albeit one hampered by numerous injuries. Really happy to see Marcos Leonardo hit the ground running here and although he struggled for starts, he still notched up an impressive 11 goals. Turning to player of the season, I can only give it to one man. For an incredible season in front of goal, aged just 19, it goes to Youssef Chermiti. Honourable mentions must go to two Josips, Sutalo and Brekalo who were both crucial for us this campaign.

S2MAYCHERMITI.thumb.png.dbcd9345ccb255aa0b0ed528bee16ca6.png

S2MAYSUTALO.thumb.png.54e1c177853075637df2ea481a49bd6d.png

S2MAYBREKALO.thumb.png.bcca02dec6078465a6a339442723c108.png

Plans for next season

With FM24 only a few weeks away I have decided that this save only has one more season left in it. We've brought the Eredivisie home and reached the Champions League semi-final. I am torn in terms of what to do. Do we stay and try and go one step further in the Champions League next season? Equally, the idea of this save was always to try and implement 'Total Football' in another country. Italy has thrown up some interest with both the AC Milan job and Roma job being available. Do we move and see how successful our style of football can be abroad? Or do we give Europe one last go here at Ajax?

S2MAYBUDGETS.png.0e95cc2aac6fcb06f85b0244e6a63502.png

Chiefs.

ajaxbadge.png.60f3cfd1ba320b18c08968fbbf9ee655.png

Voetbal - Bergkamp Edition - 2024/2025 Season Preview

The final season is upon us. With the FM24 beta soon to be upon us, I have decided that this will be the final season of this save and Bergkamp's last at Ajax. With that in mind, we will have our eye on European success having gone close in both the Europa League and Champions League in the previous two seasons. The ultimate aim is to win the Champions League, although that may be a little too optimistic given that we are only entering our third season in charge. Domestically we need the Super Cup to complete the clean sweep and we will have the chance to collect that as we take on Feyenoord at the start of this season in the Super Cup final. On that note, let's get started with season three.

Transfers Out

S3SUMTROUT1.png.bc6f8174f535b7f709b1c56aee6673b8.png

S3SUMTROUT2.png.cb446b0e141d47aa8d4f058ab1a24cc4.png

A large amount of outgoings but none that have caused me any panic. A plethora of youngsters leave on a free as their contracts expire. Most notably, Amadou Diawara leaves after just one season for £15 million. He really didn't perform for us last season and with clubs interested in his services I thought it would be a good financial decision to recoup the money we spent on him last summer as he leaves to join Wolves. Nat Phillips has also left the club for £1.4 million as he joins Sunderland. Nat was very impressive for us in our first season but it soon became clear that our backline needed to be quick and good on the ball. We made the necessary adjustments last season which saw Nat drop out of the starting eleven and he never reclaimed his spot. Not a sale I necessarily needed to make but for the good of Nat's career I thought we would accept the offer.

Transfers In

S3SUMVANDEVEN.thumb.png.8e944815994cdd8329d8e38c10020b5a.png

From one central defence to another. With roughly £50 million in the bank we had a lot of power in the market and the only position I had earmarked for an upgrade was the left hand side of the back three. Solet is more than capable but I think he may have reached his ceiling and I wanted to bring in strong competition. We had initially earmarked a couple of other targets to come in and then Van De Ven became available. We agreed a deal at £20 million and made him our first signing of the summer. An exceptional central defender and a natural on the left hand side. His pace and acceleration make him a strong fit for our backline and I am excited to see how he develops with us this season.

S3SUMLAVIA.thumb.png.9252fe5089f0a94ca85f2a0a667ba7e7.png

With Diawara leaving I knew I needed to target a defensive midfielder. We had seemingly wrapped up a deal to sign Wilfred Ndidi but at the eleventh hour I noticed that Romeo Lavia was available from Southampton for just £26 million. After a long wait we finally agreed a deal for Lavia and cancelled the Ndidi deal. This is a cracking signing and one that gives us a great chance going into next season.

Tactical Shape

No changes to the tactical shape this season as it worked so well for us last season. The two new signings will slot straight into the side.

s3team.png.8f66ee808fffd72ea781bdc67970b4c5.png

August Results

S3SUMSUPERCUP.png.cc6bfdc485a4327e2ae4f28fbeb2b054.png

We start the season in fine fashion by ticking the Super Cup off of our list. A hat-trick on the opening day of the season for Youssef Chermiti seals the win for us. A solid debut from Romeo Lavia although Micky Van De Ven didn't have his best of games.

S3SUMRES.png.ec2ea569c23da38e6dee888f6b5a39f4.png

An undefeated start to the season for us. We took apart newly promoted Volendam with Chermiti claiming a second hat-trick in as many games. The only disappointment is that we lost Taylor to injury. We rounded off the month in unspectacular fashion with a scrappy 1-0 win away at Nijmegen thanks to a Josip Brekalo goal.

Eredivisie Table

S3SUMERETAB.png.0a933a116b6cc12e6d31e73eb374d1e6.png

Nothing can be taken from just two games but it's a solid start for us as we look to defend our league title.