I can't create the chances I want with my 4-2-3-1

I like to use 4-2-3-1 formation and prefer to play possesion-based style of football. I'm doing this save with Atalanta and I'm struggling to create the chances I want. I'm winning enough games and I can even say I'm succesful so far in this season but not with the way I wanted. Most of the times my player's shoots inside the box just hit the oppositon center backs, and I mean most of the times It happens every 2/3 shoot attempts. I  couldn't see fluid short passes, positional rotations, tiki-taka style organised attacks and line-breaking plays from my team. This is the tactic and roles that I use. I used to use "work ball into box" and "lower tempo" TI's but I started to draw regularly so I changed that. I'm open to any advices. 

Adsız.png

Big issue I can see, well a couple of them, first off the IF(A)/AF(A) combo you have, that's pretty much two out and out strikers you have which could be part of your shooting in tight areas issue

Second issue is the high press using a striker role that likes to break defensive lines, doing that will limit the space he has to run into and help to compress the space in the final third, which could be another part of your blocked shots issue

I think you could move the IF to a Support duty, though Lookman will still probably want to shoot a lot, and either stick with the AF and use a mid block or keep the high press and use a striker role that looks to drop off the backline. If you're going with a possession style a drop off/ link up striker with the high lines is probably worth a try  

8 dakika önce, Johnny Ace said:

Big issue I can see, well a couple of them, first off the IF(A)/AF(A) combo you have, that's pretty much two out and out strikers you have which could be part of your shooting in tight areas issue

Second issue is the high press using a striker role that likes to break defensive lines, doing that will limit the space he has to run into and help to compress the space in the final third, which could be another part of your blocked shots issue

I think you could move the IF to a Support duty, though Lookman will still probably want to shoot a lot, and either stick with the AF and use a mid block or keep the high press and use a striker role that looks to drop off the backline. If you're going with a possession style a drop off/ link up striker with the high lines is probably worth a try  

Thank you. I have one question regarding your suggestions. If I change IF(a) to IF(s) and AF to DLP or CF, doesn't it effect the team's overall scoring threat? My main issue right now is that I can't score as much goals as I wanted. Will dropping some players goal threat be really helpful about that? 

2 minutes ago, Skywalker7 said:

Thank you. I have one question regarding your suggestions. If I change IF(a) to IF(s) and AF to DLP or CF, doesn't it effect the team's overall scoring threat? My main issue right now is that I can't score as much goals as I wanted. Will dropping some players goal threat be really helpful about that? 

I didn't mean do both, sorry if it sounded that way, I meant one or the other :thup:

DLF/CF/TREQ/ Support duty striker would be fine with the IF on Attack, you're basically moving your number 9 out to the flank. You just have to check you're moving the number 9 to the better goal scorer and giving the creative responsibility to the right player  

3 dakika önce, Johnny Ace said:

I didn't mean do both, sorry if it sounded that way, I meant one or the other :thup:

DLF/CF/TREQ/ Support duty striker would be fine with the IF on Attack, you're basically moving your number 9 out to the flank. You just have to check you're moving the number 9 to the better goal scorer and giving the creative responsibility to the right player  

I see now, I'll try more creative and supportive player and role for the left wing. In that case which striker role do you suggest to use with current high-line approach?

Just now, Skywalker7 said:

I see now, I'll try more creative and supportive player and role for the left wing. In that case which striker role do you suggest to use with current high-line approach?

Personal preference is a CF or DLF but I really don't know Hojlund's FM profile and I think you maybe missed what I suggested

AF(A) and IF(S) with Midblock or....

CF(A)/DF(A)/ TREQ(A) etc and IF(A) with High Press 

On 17/08/2023 at 22:29, Johnny Ace said:

Turning IF to support and dropping to balanced mentality couldn't work? 

On 21/08/2023 at 03:44, ejleal said:

Turning IF to support and dropping to balanced mentality couldn't work? 

I think it won't change much of the space behind for the AF to run into, hence why he suggested mid block. If you change mentality while still having high press, there's still not enough space behind the defensive line.