Ability to start from different eras in football history.

arichardson21

I think there should be a custom database option to start at a certain 'turning point' in football history. This would allow us to manage our favourite historical players with the new features/training methods and match engine. There exists mods to do this already but they're not as seamlessly integrated as they could be. Players could also be programmed to become managers after retirement. I have given a few examples of interesting eras below:

• Brazilian Clubs emerging as powerhouses and the formation of European competitions in 1956
  • Dutch and German dominance in the 1970s with 'total football' and Johan Cruyff leading the way,
  • 1982 World Cup with Maradona moving to Barcelona,
  • The formation of the Premier League/Champion's league in 1992/1993,
  • Ronaldo debut with Messi in Barca youth ranks,
  • Purchase of Chelsea/Man City accelerating football finances, in the modern era,

It wouldn't be too difficult to alter youth intakes to reflect real players coming through in the future either.

• 2 weeks later...

whilst it would be cool to have, I can see 2 problems (1 a big one!)

1) it will take a lot of time to put the players into a database, research them etc.

2) it will require the rights to the players

But i do agree with the idea.

How will it be achieved?

You will have to create multiple databases for that due to different player attribute progression (more correct attributes). A 21 year old player in 2003 may be a Right Fullback with 15 work rate and 12 pace, while the same player in 2005 may be a Right Winger with 11 work rate and 15 pace. New clubs will be added to the databases according to seasons, with league rules for a single season.

If only used a single database, the player attributes will have to be the attributes the player is first introduced to the database lets say 90 CA and 160 PA, when years advance the attributes will be adjusted according to the CA, meaning you will use multiple CA values for different years. Few new clubs will be added (will use same clubs with name change), league rules will be changed each season.

The retro football manager would be interesting, but it will be very difficult to achieve. I wouldn't mind starting a 2005 season with Real Madrid or playing with Netherlands in Cruyff era.

• 6 months later...