Continent from the Couch II - An Asian Adventure Down Under

EvilDave

“Welcome to Melbourne, Australia, where preparations are well underway for the opening game of the tournament between China and Uzbekistan. The hosts may not be in action today, but they’ll be determined to put on a show for what is just the second Asian Cup to be held Down Under. All 24 teams have announced their squads, completed their warm-ups, and will be raring to go as they dream of continental glory.”

“Before the first kick-off, we’ll be running through the sides looking to claim the crown and replace South Korea as Asian champions - although the Taeguk Warriors themselves will be arriving as one of the favourites to lift the trophy for the fourth time in their history.”

“We start in Group A, which of course features today’s opening pair of China and Uzbekistan as the two favourites to make it through to the knockout rounds, especially with four of the six third-placed sides also qualifying to the last 16.”

“China have famously never won the Asian Cup, although they have reached the final twice before. With the likes of Zhang Yuning in top goalscoring form and an easy route to the tournament generating plenty of momentum, they’ll fancy themselves to put an end to that unwanted record.”

“On the other hand, Uzbekistan seem to be the nearly men of Asian football - always improving, always an outside bet, but never quite able to take that last step, whether that’s to Asian Cup glory or World Cup qualification. They’ve never managed to reach the final here, but again with a strong squad there’s hope among the Uzbek contingent that this could be their year.”

“The other two sides in Group A are somewhat less favoured, and you’d have to think that a successful tournament for both Vietnam and Yemen looks like defeating the other and hoping to sneak into the last 16 as one of the teams in third. Yemen’s qualification in particular is a remarkable story given everything their nation has been through in recent years, and there will no doubt be a lot of neutral support here for them in Australia, but it remains to be seen as to whether they have the quality needed at this level to get the necessary results.”

“There’s already a party atmosphere beginning to develop here at the MCG, the stands are slowly filling up ahead of the opening ceremony. It may be the depths of winter for our European and US viewers, but here in Melbourne it’s a glorious summer’s evening, barely a cloud in the sky ahead of what we hope will be a spectacular start to this year’s competition.”

“It really should be a great tournament - there are so many teams that will be thinking they have a real chance to win this one. South Korea of course lifted the trophy in Qatar four years ago, and it was Qatar themselves that surprised us all by winning in 2019. The hosts will be up for it, and then you’ve got previous champions Japan, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq - it’s a strong field and there aren’t too many teams you’d want to write off at this stage.”

“Speaking of Japan and Iraq, they’re the headline acts for a Group B that also promises some very interesting match-ups…”
--

With 'Last One Off the Island...' coming to an end, it's time for a new adventure! Back in the mists of time (2015, as they're better known) I wrote the original Continent from the Couch - a journey through Euro 2020 through the eyes of TV, radio, websites and blogs. It was one of my favourite stories to write, and so eight years down the line, with the real life Euro 2020 now consigned to history, I've had another go. It's the Asian Cup, it's Australia, it's 2027, and it's here now for your reading pleasure. Enjoy! 

“I’m now joined by journalist Alex Leider, who counts Central Asian football as one of his many areas of expertise. Alex, welcome to the podcast.”

“Thank you for having me.”

“First of all, how did you end up getting into Central Asian football? It’s a pretty niche area, even for those of us who follow the Asian game.”

“I spent some time studying in Russia at university, and moved to Kazakhstan for a year after graduating. I've always been football-obsessed so went to watch the local team, and as a Westerner in the stands I was a novelty - it was easy for me to get access to the players and staff. I watched as much as I could, and it went from there really.”

“Which team was it, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Kairat Almaty, one of the historic Soviet sides. They were pretty good when I was there, but never good enough to actually win anything!”

“Let’s move on to the Asian Cup then, and we want to ask you about Tajikistan. A lot of people will be surprised that Tajikistan are even here, is that fair?”

“Perhaps, but not entirely. They qualified for the last competition, but that was their first time. And they got no points. So you’re right - they don’t have a great international pedigree.”

“Are you expecting anything to change this time? What counts as a good tournament for the Tajiks?”

“I’m not expecting them to pull up any trees, unfortunately - they qualified by the narrowest of margins, don’t have a lot of experience, and have got three good teams in their group. But I’m looking forward to seeing them play. It’s a younger squad than they’ve had in recent years, they’ve got the best manager they’ve had in a long time in Igor Cherevchenko, and they’ve got no expectations. That could lead to one or two surprises.”

“If you were to give us one player to keep an eye on, who should we be looking at?”

“Khusrav Toirov on the left wing. There’s a decent chance Cherevchenko plays him in a central role, because he’s probably the most talented player in the squad. He’s only 22, but he’s been established in the first team squad at Shakhtar Donetsk since he was a teenager and is a big talent. He’s lightning down the wing, but can finish as well, so tends to rotate between his regular position out wide and playing as a striker. If he’s on form, Tajikistan have a chance.”

“Khusrav Toirov, we’ll remember the name. You mentioned the tough group the Tajiks have been drawn in, is it about as hard as it could get for them?”

“That’s hard to say, because really any group was going to be tough for Tajikistan - they’re just not at this level quite yet. Japan you would imagine are untouchable, and they’d need to defend very well to stop them running up a big score. Iraq are a good side too, and that only leaves Lebanon. If I was Cherevchenko I’d be looking at that game, which is up first, and hoping to find a win there. With this format one win might just be enough to get through, and that’d be an amazing achievement for Tajikistan.”

“Is that the dream then? Beat Lebanon, keep it tight in the other two and squeak through into the last 16?”

“I think so, if we’re being realistic they’d then need to hope one of the weaker sides somehow goes through in first or second from their group and they get drawn together - it starts getting silly. But even getting a point in the group would be historic for Tajikistan, they’ve never done it before and even qualifying for the tournament represents significant progress. It proves last time wasn’t a fluke, and should give this young team some valuable experience.”

“Before you go Alex, I have to ask - who do you think is going to win the Asian Cup? I’m going to assume it isn’t Tajikistan?”

“It’s not, as great as that would be. That said, you’ve asked me on as a Central Asian expert so I’m going to fly my flag proudly and go for Uzbekistan. They’ve got a comfortable group, they’ve got experience of getting to the knockout rounds, and there isn’t the same level of expectation that comes with a South Korea or Australia. They’re always the dark horses, but I’d love to see them go all the way and I see no reason why they can’t do it this time.”

“Uzbekistan for the trophy, you heard it here first. Alex Leider, thank you once again for joining me today - if people want to find more of your work and follow you, where can they find you?”

“It’s been my pleasure, thank you against or having me on. You can find me on Twitter at…”

From The Athletic 

End of an Era - Azmoun Bows Out for Iran

Regardless of whether Iran are crowned champions of this year’s Asian Cup or are knocked out in the group stage, the final whistle of their final match will be tinged with sadness. After being named in his country’s squad once again, talismanic forward Sardar Azmoun announced that this competition would be his last in an Iranian shirt, and that his international retirement was imminent.

Many expected Azmoun to step away after the recent World Cup, where he netted twice against Burkina Faso in the group stage. Reaching the second round represented a success for the Iranians, and would have provided the perfect platform for the 32-year-old to say his goodbyes from.

But despite the growing injury problems which have accelerated the Fenerbahce forward’s decision to step away from the international game, he is determined to try and close the chapter with a trophy - something which has so painfully eluded arguably the most talented Iranian footballer of his generation, as he eloquently put it when questioned following the World Cup.

“It is a great shame for me not to have a winner’s medal for my country, of course. Every boy dreams of lifting a trophy in their national shirt, and when you play for your country your whole career, that dream never dies. I hope I will have one more chance in Australia to pay back the fans and my team mates.”

With 74 goals to his name for Team Melli - behind only the 109 of Ali Daei in his nation’s record books - and a mammoth 112 appearances, there are very few suggesting he has done anything other than pay back his fans multiple times over the years, but it is clear there that the lack of international silverware is something that bothers the man once christened the ‘Iranian Messi.’ Even following an emotional retirement and reversal after the 2018 World Cup, there has been little questioning his commitment.

Even now, with his body struggling to meet the demands of a full domestic and international calendar, he is still the man the Iranians turn to. When he receives the ball in attacking areas, there is often a hushed anticipation that something will happen. His close control and willingness to take on his man has not diminished with age, and he has rescued his nation on several occasions with well-taken goals and moments of magic. For Iranian fans, Azmoun is something of a cult hero.

Indeed, were it not for the legendary exploits of Ali Daei - 109 international goals and the first Asian footballer to appear in the UEFA Champions League, in additional to later managing the national team - there would be a convincing argument to be made for Azmoun to be Iran’s greatest footballer. At 32 he still has the ability to continue at the highest level, but after a series of muscular injuries over the last three years, has made the decision to instead prolong his club career at the club he once dreamed of representing. Azmoun himself said it best.

“I would love to play every minute of every game for many years, but my body - my body will not allow me. It is not fair for me to stand in the way of others in the national team. I have enjoyed a dream career for my country, and for my club the dream continues. Now I wish for the perfect ending with Iran.”

There would be very few who would begrudge him that perfect ending.

Edited by EvilDave

From the australian.com.au

Aloisi Confident Ahead of Asian Cup

Socceroos manager John Aloisi has dismissed concerns over his inexperience ahead of the upcoming Asian Cup, claiming his side has what it takes to lift the trophy on home soil.

Aloisi, 50, was only appointed to the role in July following a disappointing World Cup campaign under Graham Arnold, and has managed the side in only a handful of friendlies with mixed results. But the two-time A-League champion is confident in his ability to get the most out of his players.

“It’s not ideal coming into the competition cold, but that’s one of the things you trade in for getting to host the tournament. We haven’t played a lot of football together, but these guys are coming in the middle of their seasons and are at peak fitness. You can tell they’re ready, they’re excited to play for their country, and they’re a talented bunch.

“I’ve not got a lot of experience managing at international level, but I know what it’s like to represent your country and what it means to play for Australia. I know the passion, the nerves - I know what it’s like to go to a World Cup or an Asian Cup with all the expectations. We’re a country that expects to win, and I know what that pressure feels like.

“When you look around at the players we’ve got, it’s a strong group. We’ve got guys playing at the highest level in Europe, we’ve got guys in the top leagues around Asia, and we’ve got the top guys from the A-League here at home. All of them have got what we need to win it, especially with the home fans on board.”

The Socceroos have been drawn in Group C alongside Oman, Turkmenistan and regular contenders Iran, and with four of the six best third-place finishers progressing to the last 16, the hosts are strongly favoured to make a comfortable passage to the knockout rounds. Aloisi is confident, but unwilling to countenance complacency.

“You can’t make any assumptions in top level sport. Iran are a top side, and both Turkmenistan and Oman are here on merit, you can’t just fall into this tournament. We’re coming in looking to win all three games and set ourselves up well for the elimination games, but we can’t get ahead of ourselves - Turkmenistan will be a good test for us in Brisbane, we’ll be going full strength and we won’t be looking past them until the final whistle blows.”

Those in favour of Aloisi’s appointment have pointed towards his wealth of international experience as a player, plus the significance of his domestic titles with both Western United and Melbourne City, as reasons he is the right man to lead the Socceroos on home soil and towards the 2030 World Cup. On the other hand, his detractors have questioned whether he has the track record and reputation required to tame a squad featuring several European stars - but the man himself does not appear worried.

“I don’t buy into the argument you need to have been a world class player to manage at this level - some have, some haven’t, and I got my fair share of caps in my time. I’ve spoken with every one of the guys, and there’s a healthy, mutual respect in the group. I can learn from Daniel Arzani’s experiences in England, he can learn from my championship wins. There’s good communication, a great atmosphere - everything you need for success.

“Of course I count myself fortunate to be in this position, to be managing my country in a home tournament. But I also think I’ve earned that chance, the FFA believes in me, and the players have caught the vision of what I want from them. We’ve got a huge opportunity to do something really special here, and we’re well prepared to take it.”

“Welcome back to our Asian Cup preview show, where we are just about 90 minutes away from the opening game between Uzbekistan and China here at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. The atmosphere is building ahead of the opening ceremony, due to start in about an hour’s time, and there’s a real sense of anticipation as the tournament prepares to get underway.”

“We’ve been taking a whistle-stop tour of all 24 teams who have qualified for this year’s competition, and after taking a closer look at groups B and C before the break, it’s now the turn of Group D, and a set of four teams which some are labelling this year’s ‘group of death.’”

“That’s right, and you can see why. We’ve got the title holders and three-time champions South Korea, another three-time winner in Saudi Arabia, and Qatar, who of course lifted the trophy back in 2019. Rounding out the group is Indonesia, but I think everybody would be surprised if they’re in contention to qualify for the last 16 given who they’re up against.”

“Let’s start with the Indonesians, who are very much the underdogs of the group but who have done well to get here in the first place. They qualified for every tournament from 1996 to 2007 but haven’t been back since, have had their team suspended by FIFA in the meantime, but have bounced back in the last couple of years to make it to Australia. That should itself be seen as a success, but against three former winners in the group stage you’d have to assume that even a point would be a remarkable achievement for them.”

“Qatar are a bit of a wildcard in this competition - a lot of people expected them to really kick on after their 2019 win and then of course hosting the World Cup three years later, but they’ve had some really mixed performances since then. They reached the last eight in 2023 but failed to even qualify for the most recent World Cup, and once again they arrive in Australia with their entire 26-man squad playing in the Qatar Stars League. It’s an ageing squad - there hasn’t really been that regeneration you might expect in a national team over the last few years - but with that comes experience, and that can be crucial in these big tournaments.”

“Moving on to Saudi Arabia, who have a rich history with this competition and of course have been standard-bearers for the Asian continent with so many World Cup appearances. They’ll come into this with high expectations as they always do, but there have been some doubts about whether or not the team is strong enough. They’ve won three titles but none since the 1990s, and last got to the final 20 years ago. There’s a sense they’ve fallen behind the East Asian sides, and will want to prove a point here in Australia.”

“Finally there’s South Korea, who won the title last time in Qatar and are many people’s favourites to do it again here. That win broke a bit of a jinx that they had in this competition, with so many failures since their last title way back in 1960, but since tasting that winning feeling they’ve been looking for more. A penalty shoot-out away from the World Cup semis less than a year ago, on paper they’re the strongest team in Asia, they’ve got players at some of the biggest clubs in world football, and they’ll be looking to retain their title and establish something of a dynasty in the Asian game.”

“They wouldn’t be the first team to retain their title either - over the years it’s been something of a theme for the Asian Cup. The South Koreans themselves won the first two editions, Iran won three in a row in the 1960s and 70s, and since them we’ve seen Saudi Arabia and Japan both go back-to-back. If they want to be viewed as one of Asia’s great teams, that’s what they’ll be looking to replicate.”

“We’ve already had a look at some of the teams who might stand in their way, and now it’s the turn of the teams in Group E - which also features a former champion, although not one expected to be competing for silverware this time round…” 

Edited by EvilDave

From theasiangame.net

Asian Cup: Time for Thais to Complete Rise?

Anybody who cared to look at the seedings ahead of the upcoming Asian Cup may have encountered a surprise when looking through the top ranked sides. Of the six groups, four are led by sides regarded as regular powerhouses in the Asian game - hosts Australia, holders South Korea, regular challengers Japan, potential behemoths China . But the other two - the United Arab Emirates and Thailand - may be a little less expected.

The UAE are a side that have established themselves as a contender in the Middle Eastern game, rivalling three-time champions Saudi Arabia and relative newcomers Qatar for regional dominance. They may not have made a World Cup since their 1990 debut, but they have reached the semi finals of the Asian Cup on no fewer than four occasions, including two of the last three editions. They may not be among the bookies’ favourites, but their seeding is no surprise.

Thailand, on the other hand, have a story worth telling. In 2014, the War Elephants slumped to their lowest ever FIFA ranking of 165, a position currently occupied by the Caribbean island of Cuba. A year later, the 2015 Asian Cup took place without them - Thailand finishing bottom of their qualification group, without a point and conceding 21 goals in six matches against Iran, Lebanon and Kuwait. Their footballing situation was bleak.

But 13 years later, they arrive in Australia ranked 83rd in the world - between Israel and Jamaica, for references - and among the top pot of seeds after breezing through a qualification group of Saudi Arabia, Palestine and Hong Kong. They reached the last 16 in 2019, the quarter finals in 2023, and are now being listed as dark horses for the coming event. A dramatic turnaround - but how?

The story starts in 2017, with the election of Somyot Poompanmoung to the presidency of the Thai FA. While there are undeniable question marks over the former police Commissioner-General’s personal dealings - a roughly £7m loan from a fugitive brothel owner raised plenty of eyebrows when eventually declared - under his leadership there has been a concerted improvement in the team’s fortunes.

Building on their regional domination of the bi-annual AFF Championship for Southeast Asian nations - they have nine titles, while closest rivals Singapore have just four - there has been a change in policy at the top of the Thai game. There has been significant investment in youth football, improving the standard across the country. A greater focus has been given to coaching staff of the age group sides. And for the national team themselves, managerial appointments have moved away from well-known journeymen (Peter Reid and Bryan Robson, anyone?) to those with more relevant experience. For example, Serbian coach Milovan Rejevac, the new regime’s first appointment, had international experience with Qatar, Ghana and Algeria. Alexandre Polking, the Brazilian in charge since 2021 and who holds the highest win percentage of any Thailand manager in history, spent eight years managing three of the nation’s club sides, and had previously worked with the under-23s. 

All this has led to a national team where the coaches both know and can communicate well with their players, and where the quality of those players is improving. Captain Supachok Sarachat plays in the top tier of Japan, forward Suphanat Mueanta is a regular starter for French side Nantes, while Ekanit Panya is an overseas star for Australian champions Melbourne City. Whereas past Thai sides pinned all their hopes on one key player, years of development and growth have led to a more competitive domestic league, a deeper player pool, and a national team stronger across the board.

In short, Thailand’s seeding should no longer be a surprise. You could argue that the likes of Uzbekistan, Saudi Arabia and Iran can consider themselves unlucky to be ranked below the War Elephants, but there can be no denying that Thailand have earned their spot. While not yet one of the favourites for the competition, they are certainly among that second tier of nations looking to make their move. The Thai story has been one of slow but deliberate improvement, and there is much to be admired and perhaps copied by similarly-sized nations looking to improve their footballing lot. Australia 2027 may come a couple of years too soon for their full potential, but they certainly should not be overlooked in the coming weeks.

“We turn our attention now to North Korea, who are of course relatively unknown outside their homeland and arriving here in Australia with an aura of mystery to them - what do we know about the North Koreans coming into the tournament?”

“North Korea are an interesting side, because they’ve been up and down quite a lot over the past couple of years. They actually qualified for this tournament by making it to the final round of World Cup qualifiers for 2026, and on the face of it they did quite well - they beat Uzbekistan away to reach a play-off with Jordan, and only lost that on away goals after two drawn games.

“But if you look into the detail it starts to look a little less positive for them. In that same qualifying campaign, they only won two other games in their group of six teams, and they were home and away against Lebanon, the lowest ranked team. Against the top sides - Japan, China, their neighbours to the South - they were comfortably beaten every time.

“You go from there to the East Asian Cup, which last took place in December 2025, a little over a year ago, and those same teams humiliated North Korea. Losing 1-0 to Japan is nothing to be ashamed of, but 3-0 against the Chinese and a 6-0 thrashing against the South meant they ended up bottom of the table and sacking their manager.

“It’s a been a mixed bag for Yun Sung-Joo, the new man in charge, over the past 12 months as well. They’re on a three-game winning streak after qualifying for this year’s East Asian Cup, but those games were against Hong Kong, Macau and Chinese Taipei, so hardly worldbeaters. In their friendlies over the past year they lost to Saudi Arabia, drew with Kyrgyzstan and beat Nepal, who at 191st in the world are technically the ‘best’ team North Korea have beaten in over a year. So it’s hard to say where they are at the moment.”

“It’s fair to say they’re probably not among the contenders to win the Asian Cup then?”

“Definitely - they don’t have the depth of ability to take on the top teams, and for all their exposure to the world game at the 2010 World Cup and talk of inviting foreign specialists to improve their game, North Korea is still a very insular footballing nation. Only two players play outside of their domestic league, and tactically they’re quite limited.”

“Who are those players then - are they the stars? How did they end up abroad?”

“It’s quite interesting really, the two have very different stories. Choe Ju-Song is the one you might remember from the news - he was the best player in the North Korean league for two years running, and as part of the ongoing dialogue with the USA, was targeted by Major League Soccer, almost as a study abroad type option. Eventually he got government permission to make the move, and he’s been at Cincinnati for four years now and by all accounts has done very well for them on the left wing.

“The other man is striker Han Kwang-Song, and he’s the star of this team. He got spotted touring with the national youth teams as a teenager, got signed by Perugia and then Cagliari, and then Juventus took him only to sell him straight to the Middle East for a profit. Two years later Atalanta paid nearly €10m for him, and while not a first team player he’s a regular off the bench. He’s the only North Korean ever to play in a European competition too after a few appearances in the Europa League. If the national team are struggling, they often look to get the ball to Han and hope.”

“You mentioned that the team is tactically limited, what do you mean by that? How can we expect them to play?”

“More often than not, it’s quite an old-school 4-4-2. The defenders aren’t expected to play out from the back, the wide midfielders stick to their wings, and there isn’t much positional rotation. It’s quite novel to watch at first, and there is something to be said for the simplicity of it, but it doesn’t give them many options and when they’ve suffered big losses before, it’s because teams have found it too easy to control the midfield.”

“And here in Australia, they’re up against the UAE, Jordan and Malaysia - can you see them getting out of the group?”

“Well all three are ranked above them at the moment so the form book says no, but I can see them beating Malaysia and Jordan will be a close game - they drew 1-1 at home and 0-0 away in the World Cup play-off. I think the Emiratis will be too much for them, but if they pick up four points that’ll see them through, and that’d be a good result.”

“Well that’s North Korea taken care of, we’re now going to head west to Jordan and see what their chances are for the tournament. Joining us live from the streets of Amman to gauge the thoughts of the local population is Omar Hassan, good afternoon Omar…”

Thank you - I quite enjoy shifting perspectives and trying to strike a balance, so I'm glad you're a fan. I'm not sure I'll be delivering full-blown propaganda pieces though! :D 

--
From Guardian Sport

Asian Cup - Have Ambitious Australia Gone Too Big?

The 2027 Asian Cup kicked off with a surprise result as favoured China were defeated 1-0 by Uzbekistan in Melbourne, but the sight of tens of thousands of empty seats at the world-famous Melbourne Cricket Ground must beg the question - have the hosts been overly ambitious with their plans?

In the course of its storied history, ‘The G’ has hosted Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Cricket World Cups and countless AFL Grand Finals, often being packed to the rafters in the process. However, on an opening night which, in a change from tradition did not feature the host nation, the official attendance was recorded at 56,819 - a significant crowd, but far short of the ground’s six-figure capacity.

The Asian Cup has long struggled with lower attendances than its AFC organisers might have hoped for. In the 2011 edition in Qatar, local authorities were accused of drafting in the military to boost spectator numbers, whereas the last time Australia hosted in 2015, a quarter final between Japan and the United Arab Emirates was watched by less than 20,000 fans at Stadium Australia - which seats more than four times as many.

Whether it is the high costs of travel for overseas fans or a perceived lower standard than other, more popular competitions, the Asian Cup is a tournament still seeking to prove itself on the international stage. At present, it does not seem to boast the same prestige as the European Championship, Copa America or African Cup of Nations, despite being Asia’s flagship tournament.

Uzbekistan’s well-deserved win would not have been out of place at any of those competitions, nor would Jasur Lalolidinov’s 70th minute winner. The CSKA midfielder is far from a prolific goalscorer, but his rising strike from 25 yards was the perfect combination of power and pace. At the other end, determined defending from the White Wolves denied China's star striker Zhang Yuning more than half a sight of goal, and his two second half attempts both sailed wide of the mark.

But in a nation where football is a distant fourth to Aussie Rules, Rugby League and a multitude of cricket competitions, and where the domestic competition is still finding its feet, it seems that the competition’s organising committee have gambled on crowds that may not exist. Utilising the 100,000 capacity MCG, 82,000-seater Stadium Australia and 65,000-strong Optus Stadium in Perth alongside a host of grounds in the 40-50,000 capacity range speaks of both high levels of ambition and a determination to show off the best of Australia’s sporting facilities. However, if these grounds are only half-full - as is a distinct possibility with the likes of Syria vs Thailand being held at Stadium Australia and Jordan vs UAE scheduled for the MCG - the image projected to the watching world will be less than ideal.

Perhaps a different approach would have been more appropriate, hosting games in grounds with capacities in the 20-40,000 range rather than looking to push higher, and recognising that a stadium 80% full generates a better atmosphere and looks better for the TV cameras than the same number of fans scattered among rows of empty seats. Perhaps organisers were swayed by the potential revenue of packed-out crowds, or felt they needed to offer their bigger names to secure the tournament in the first place. Whatever the reasoning, there will no doubt be some serious conversations if the longed-for surge in demand does not materialise. In aiming big and falling short, the Australian FA will not be doing their hopes of hosting a future World Cup any favours whatsoever.

“I’m Dotun Adebayo and you’re listening to the World Football Phone-In, with a special focus tonight on the Asian Cup and the three games that took place earlier today. With me to discuss all things AFC is, of course, John Duerden. John, three matches today, three wins, and not too much in the way of surprises - is that fair to say?”

“Thanks Dotun, and that’s just about right. After Uzbekistan beat China yesterday I think there were high hopes of a few more upsets, but on the whole things have gone pretty much as you might expect today. You could argue Tajikistan beating Lebanon is a bit of a surprise, but there are only a handful of places between them in the world rankings so that’s a bit of a stretch.”

“Let’s start with that one then, and it all looked so good for Lebanon in the opening moments. What went wrong for them?”

“I think the Tajiks just grew into the game, if I’m honest. Kristoffer Stahl’s goal was a scrappy finish from a bit of a scramble in the early exchanges, but Lebanon never really managed to take advantage of their momentum.”

“You’d expect them to have the majority of the crowd on their side in Melbourne, was it particularly partisan?”

“The goal was well celebrated, no doubt about it, but when Sulaimonov equalised in the second half it all went very quiet. Tajikistan don’t have many fans here in Australia, but they did a good job of silencing the diaspora crowd. They got the winner 10 minutes later, and basically kept Lebanon at arm’s length for the rest of the game.”

“You’d have to think that’s Lebanon out at this stage unless they pull off a big shock in their remaining games, but have Tajikistan got a chance to go through?”

“There’s always a chance with this format, with four of the third-place teams going through they’re in with a real chance now they’ve got a win on the board. You’d expect them to need a point to be sure of things though, and you’d imagine that would have to come against Iraq in the final game - I can’t see them getting anything from Japan.”

“Speaking of Japan, a strong opening win today, 2-1 against Iraq, who you’d expect to be their biggest rivals in Group B. Job done do we think?”

“It’s too early to say, but it’s very hard to picture a scenario in which Japan don’t qualify. It wasn’t a spectacular performance, but it was very professional - two goals in the first 20 minutes, and then they barely got out of second gear for the rest of the game. Iraq had plenty of shots, but they couldn’t get in behind the Japanese defence and even when they pulled one back, there wasn’t any panic.”

“It was a great goal from Mhawi.”

“It was, for my money better than the Uzbek goal yesterday. 20 yards out, corner of the box, arrowed into the bottom corner by the right back, no less. Great finish, but unfortunately for him, the only thing his team could produce.”

“So that’s Group B’s opening round done with a couple of 2-1 wins for Japan and Tajikistan, what about the second game from Group A? Vietnam and Yemen at Adelaide’s Hindmarsh Stadium.”

“This one had the potential to deliver a really big story. We all know the difficulties Yemen has had as a country, and they’ve done brilliantly just to make it to Australia. It’s only the second time they’ve qualified, they didn’t score a goal last time, and then five minutes in you get Ahmed Al-Haifi, just turned 33 and having never scored for his country in more than 60 appearances, heading in a cross to put them 1-0 up. It was a great moment, and I think will be one of the images of the tournament.”

“But they couldn’t make it stick.”

“They couldn’t - Hemyar Hamsan poked past his own keeper after 20 minutes, and the Vietnamese side kept up the pressure. Nguyen Tien Linh put them in front three minutes later, and they got a third in the second half for good measure. That puts them top of the group, and like Tajikistan they’re at the very least in with a shout of going through in third, if not better - although China and the Uzbeks will be tough opposition.”

“Three more games tomorrow John, which one are you most looking forward to?”

“I’d love to play the hipster and tell you I can’t wait for Iran vs Oman, but all eyes tomorrow are on Australia. A tournament like this feels like it needs the hosts to get going before it’s really started, and against Turkmenistan in Brisbane you’d expect them to grab a few goals as well. I’m hoping for a good crowd and a good Australian performance - I think the competition needs them to do well.”

Five Star Socceroos Thrash Turkmenistan

John Aloisi’s Socceroos laid down a marker for the rest of the continent with a 5-0 thrashing of Turkmenistan at Suncorp Stadium in their opening game of the Asian Cup.

Josh White took advantage of some poor Turkmen defending to put the hosts ahead after just eight minutes, grabbing his second five minutes before the break before turning provider for Daniel Arzani to make it 3-0 before half time.

Turkmenistan, one of the lowest ranked teams at the tournament, barely troubled Mat Ryan’s goal throughout the 90 minutes, registering just a single shot on target as they struggled to get a foot on the ball against a confident Australian midfield.

If the game wasn’t already over as a contest, two goals in four minutes either side of the hour mark from James Jackson and Mark Caruana made it 5-0 and killed off any faint hope of a Turkmen comeback.

With Iran breezing past Oman 4-1 in the other Group C match, the scene looks to be set for a third-round clash between the two top-ranked sides for the group win. Meanwhile in the Group D clash at the Adelaide Oval, Ayoub Al-Kuwari scored twice in a comfortable 3-0 win for Qatar over Indonesia.

Socceroos boss Aloisi said: “We’ve been itching to get started for a while now, and the boys wanted to put on a show for the home fans. Whitey got us off to a great start, and I was pleased to see us keep the pressure on all the way to the whistle.

“In a group setting like this you’ve always got to look at your goal difference, but every goal you score is good for the team’s confidence - you’d much rather go into your next game after winning by five than by one, so I’m very happy with tonight.”

Three points from the opening game opens up the possibility of Aloisi rotating his squad for the Stadium Australia game against Oman, but he was coy about his selection plans.

“We’ve got a squad of players who are very capable of getting a win, and the games come thick and fast so there’s that too. But Oman are no pushovers, we’ve got to respect them and can’t afford to get complacent. That’s how you get knocked out.”

After a 5-0 opening win and with Oman next on the fixture list, that outcome seems highly unlikely. Instead, hopes of a second Australian title - 12 years after Ange Postecoglou’s side delivered the first on home soil - are increasing by the minute. 

“This is an experienced Syrian side, they’ve been through a lot together and they’re demonstrating that now, just 20 minutes to hold out now against an increasingly desperate Thailand.”

“You’re not wrong Chris, Thailand have had plenty of possession but haven’t really been able to do anything with it against a very disciplined defence. You’ve got to applaud the Syrians, they’re come with a plan and they’ve executed it very well so far.”

“Chance here for Mueanta… just wide of the far post, Kaman put him under just enough pressure and Thailand’s main threat couldn’t find the angle to threaten the target.”

“No, but that’s better from Thailand - a lot of the play has been in front of the Syrian defence, but Sarachat threaded the gap nicely and Mueanta just had a little too much to do. Still plenty of time for an equaliser.”

“Syria now with a rare chance to get forward, and the ball is with the goalscorer Al-Mawas, using all his 34 years of experience to slow the game down and let his team-mates join the attack. Finds Rihanieh in the middle, both sides have caught up with the ball now.”

“Al-Mawas made a decision to wait there and eat up a few seconds rather than get his head down and run, good awareness from the veteran. He’s open again on the right though.”

“He is, and Rihanieh finds him in space. This time he takes on his man, checks back, delivers the cross, Shaban gets up highest and it’s just over the crossbar. Good effort from the substitute but the ball was always behind him.”

“He couldn’t get the direction he wanted on the header. Good work again by Al-Mawas on the right though, we thought he might have been taken off by now but he’s providing an outlet for Syria as well as getting the goal.”

“Thailand coming forward again, nice exchange of passes between Sarachat and Panya. Sarachat out to Chaided, looks for Mueanta but the pass is blocked.”

“It was a good run from Mueanta, he’s trying to find space between the defenders. Thailand still on the ball though.”

“Back to Sarachat, he’s their main creative force in midfield. Looks for his strikers but nothing on so he goes back to the defenders, patient build-up from the Thais here.”

“They’re not rushing despite the scoreline, this is good stuff from them.”

“Chaided out wide now, he flicks in inside to Sarachat and moves past his man for the one-two.”

“I don’t think he’s going to get it…”

“Sarachat! Whistles wide of the post from 20 yards, he’s put his laces through that one and I’m not sure the goalkeeper would have reached it.”

“Great effort, I thought it was in and I don’t think I’m the only one. He’s been Thailand’s best player today, and he so nearly capped it with the equaliser. Can they find one in the last 10 minutes?”

“Arnaout does well to win it back there, and it’s a calm pass to fellow defender Kurdaghli. Oh he’s slipped!”

“Mueanta is onto it in a flash, looks up and slides it to Promkaew, equaliser! Thailand have the leveller with two minutes remaining, but what a disaster for Khaled Kurdaghli!”

“You’ve got to feel for him there, he lost his footing on the edge of his own area, and Thailand took full advantage. Great play from Mueanta, it would have been easy for him to go for glory from the tighter angle, but he read the situation and put it on a plate for the substitute Promkaew.”

“He’s only been on the pitch five minutes, and he’s got the equalising goal. Syria will be absolutely gutted, but it’s hard to say Thailand don’t deserve something from this game. Now, can they go on and find a winner?”

“That’s it, the final whistle blows and we have our first draw of the 2027 Asian Cup. Syria led for so long but were finally pegged back by a persistent Thailand side, and it ends 1-1.”

“You’d have to say a draw is a fair result, but you can’t imagine either manager being thrilled with the outcome, especially after Kuwait’s win over Bahrain earlier today. It means the Kuwaitis top Group E after their 1-0 win, and these two sides will need decisive results if they want to make further progress.”

“It’s one of the competition’s more open groups on paper, and today’s results aren’t changing anybody’s mind. It finishes Syria 1, Thailand 1 here at Stadium Australia - more reaction from the studio after the break.”

From goal.com

As Champions Shoot Down Green Falcons - What’s Gone Wrong For Saudis?

In one of the highest-profile games of the opening group fixtures, defending champions South Korea defeated Saudi Arabia 1-0 courtesy of Jun Se-Jin’s first-half strike, putting the holders in a strong position to qualify from Group D. However, with Qatar beating Indonesia 3-0 a day earlier, three-time champions Saudi Arabia could yet face a real struggle to progress.

The question that many are asking of the Green Falcons is a simple one - why? After all, this is a nation which won three out of five titles between 1984 and 2000, finishing as runners-up in the other two tournaments. The Saudis have qualified for no fewer than seven World Cups, a tally bettered in Asia only by South Korea and Japan.

Yet since reaching their last final in 2007 - a surprise defeat to Iraq - their record has been mediocre at best. Group stages eliminations with just one win from six games across 2011 and 2015, and defeat by Japan and Uzbekistan in the 2019 and 2023 rounds of 16. For a side that regularly finds itself in the first pot of seeds, something is amiss.

Perhaps it should come as less of a surprise. The Asian confederation is a lot more competitive than it once was, with the likes of Uzbekistan, Qatar and Iraq joining historical powerhouses Japan, South Korea and Iran as well as relative newcomers Australia as genuine contenders for the Asian title. There is some credence to the suggestion that the AFC field is the most open of all its equivalents.

But there is also something to be said for a lack of long-term planning for the Saudi Arabian FA. In the two decades since Brazilian coach Helio dos Anjos led the 2007 cohort to the final, the team has seen no fewer than 13 managers come and go - not including caretakers. Some of these have been highly successful in previous roles - Bert van Marwijk took the Netherlands to a World Cup final, Frank Rijkaard had lifted the Champions League and Herve Renard won back-to-back African Cups of Nations with Zambia and Ivory Coast. But none were able to make the Green Falcons soar as high as they would like.

With a domestic league that seems as least as keen on importing world-class veterans to boost its international image as it is on developing a pipeline for young talents to develop - Cristiano Ronaldo by far the biggest name, but by no means the only player to see out the final years of their career on huge wages in the Middle East - and it perhaps becomes a little clearer as to why the next generation of Saudi stars are finding it harder to break through.

A final factor clipping the Falcons’ wings is something of a contradiction - their nation’s ongoing battle for sporting supremacy in the Middle East, or more specifically the appearance of it. With vast sums of money being spent on the ownership of the likes of Newcastle United, hosting tournaments and events across a multitude of sports, and a constant battle of public image one-upmanship with Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, the domestic league has not been entirely forgotten, but certainly neglected. As ageing stars are brought in to sell shirts and generate positive news coverage, the native talent pool is squeezed ever further - all to the national team’s detriment.

All of which makes a possible group stage elimination less and less surprising - a result of other nations catching up and overtaking one of Asian football’s grandees, lack of managerial consistency, and questionable decisions affecting the Pro League. If they are beaten by Qatar - one of the upstart nations threatening their status - or somehow fail to beat Indonesia, it will almost certainly spell the end of their competition. It could be a long time before the Green Falcons fly again.

“A late third for Ali Saweh put an end to any hope of a North Korean equaliser, and it finished United Arab Emirates 3, North Korea 1.”

“Thanks Rob, a great result there for the UAE and one which will do their qualification prospects no harm at all in a very open Group F. Mark, now that every team has played their first game, who has stood out for you?”

“That’s a tough question, and ignoring recency bias for a moment I think the UAE have done a good job tonight. North Korea are a tricky opponent, but they’ve come through very well. I think Uzbekistan did very well to beat China on opening night, Japan looked very comfortable against Iraq, and South Korea barely looked threatened by the Saudis.”

“Would you make them favourites at this stage?”

“It’s too hard to say after just one game each, but as defending champions you come to a tournament with a target on your back, especially against your biggest group rivals in the opening match. I think they coped very well with that, looked well-drilled at the back and threatening up front - if anyone else is going to win the tournament, I think they’re going to have to go through South Korea.”

“How about the hosts then Steve? A 5-0 win in their first match, can the Aussies expect a  genuine challenge?”

“I think they can, but you can’t take too much from a 5-0 thrashing of a team as poor as Turkmenistan. Don’t get me wrong, they did what they needed to do and put on a bit of a show with the five goals, they’ll take confidence from that, but they were always going to breeze through the group and the real test will start in the knockouts.”

“As you look at the standings after these first matches, is there anything that surprises you? Will we see a big side going home early, do you think?”

“Group A was always likely to be Uzbekistan and China, and with China beating Vietnam earlier today you’d have to say that’s still the case, even if they haven’t been at their best. The Uzbeks should be looking at three from three, and Vietnam are looking for third at this stage.

“Group B is Japan’s to lose after that 2-1 win over Iraq, but Tajikistan are in with a real shout of second after beating Lebanon. There’s a lot riding on their final round game against Iraq now, you’d imagine that’s winner goes through. Group C, on the other hand, is just a case of which of Australia and Iran goes through as winners - Oman and Turkmenistan are miles away from those two.”

“And the other three groups? It looks like there’s a bit more up for grabs in that half of the draw.”

“You’d have to think so. The champions should be through after beating the Saudis in Group D, so it’ll be Saudi Arabia vs Qatar in the final round for second place - Indonesia are gone. Group E is a really interesting one, especially after the draw between Thailand and Syria. Even Bahrain are in with a chance despite losing to Kuwait, so that’s definitely a group to keep your eye on.

“Group F is another curious one - Jordan and UAE are in strong positions after winning today, but North Korea are definitely capable of winning their next two and going through as well. My money would be on UAE topping the group and Malaysia going home, but it’s a coin flip between the other two.”

“OK Mark, thanks for running through that for us. I’m going to put you on the spot now - based on what you’ve seen so far I want your two finalists and one team to be a surprise package. Ignore the permutations of the draw, just based on the opening round.”

“Blimey, no pressure then? I’ve already backed South Korea so I’ll put them in my final along with maybe Iran, and as for the surprise package - Thailand to make it to the quarters at least. I know they struggled a bit against Syria, but I think they’re an improving team, technically very good, and could spring a surprise or two if the opposition take them lightly.”

From eurasianet.org

Uzbekistan: Politicians Rally Round White Wolves’ Win

Uzbekistan’s political leaders are hoping that success for their country’s international football team will lead to a dampening of recent discontent.

After following up a surprise win over China with a 2-0 victory over Yemen in Melbourne’s AAMI Park, the White Wolves became the first side to book their place in the knockout round of the current Asian Cup.

Even at this early stage of the tournament, leading politicians are already attempting to jump on the team’s bandwagon - including President Shavkat Mirziyoyev, who made a point of congratulating the team on social messaging app Telegram.

Mirziyoyev’s official account posted just three minutes after the final whistle: “Congratulations to the Uzbekistan national football team on their 2-0 victory over Yemen and passage to the AFC Cup round of 16. The whole nation is supporting our brave footballers to win the trophy.”

One of Uzbekistan’s two deputy prime ministers also joined in the congratulations, Jamshid Khodjaev adding: “Congratulations to the Uzbekistan national team. Making us all proud at the Asian Cup.”

These somewhat dry statements of praise come against a backdrop of discontent in the Central Asian nation, where Mirziyoyev has recently proposed constitutional changes removing the number of terms a president can serve consecutively, and limiting the power of the Oliy Majlis (parliament) - in short, setting himself up at a run as life president.

It is a move familiar to Central Asia watchers, and one that is likely to succeed - compared to his predecessor Islam Kerimov, Mirziyoyev is more favourably looked on domestically and internationally, having made some liberalising concessions and opening more of the country’s economy up to overseas investment.

However, there is considerable concern among civil society, with protests against Mirziyoyev’s proposals being organised in Qarshi, Bukhara, Andijan and the capital Tashkent over the last week. No one organisation has claimed to be behind the protests, but they clearly have the authorities rattled.

The hope, therefore, is that Mirziyoyev and his supporters can claim association with, and even credit for, the success of the nation’s football team. Uzbekistan has never won the Asian Cup - a fourth placed finish in 2011 their best result - and are considered an outside bet to win the competition in Australia. But by connecting the team’s fate with their own, the nation’s leading politicians are potentially playing a dangerous game - should the football team be seen as failures, the protests may grow stronger still.

“Congratulations on tonight’s performance Josh, you’ve got to be happy with that?”

“Cheers, yeah, we’re pretty happy with the result and the performance. We always wanted to make sure we got qualification sorted early, and we’ve managed to do that so yeah, really pleased.”

“Two more goals for yourself, and in two minutes as well. You’re leading the Golden Boot race at the moment with four, is that on your mind?”

“Nah, obviously it’s nice to win the accolades, but it doesn’t mean anything if we get knocked out in the next round. The lads have been creating some great chances for me, and thankfully I managed to put two of them away early on.”

“How much difference does it make to have the home fans on your side like this? We’re told it’s a capacity crowd here in Sydney?”

“Oh it’s massive, definitely. I know not all of the games have been full for every team, but wherever the Socceroos go we always get amazing support, it makes you proud to be an Aussie. We’re playing for them, and hopefully that shows.”

“I don’t know if you’ve been keeping an eye on other results, but Japan beat Tajikistan to qualify, Uzbekistan qualified yesterday, and Iran beat Turkmenistan 4-0 to join you at the top of the group. Do you talk about who else is doing what, or who you might want to avoid?”

“Not at all, the best thing we can do is focus on our own game - we’re at home, we’ve got the fans on our side and we’re confident in our abilities. The groups are taking shape now, but there are so many good teams that there’s no easy route to the final.”

“Your game against Iran will decide who wins the group, is that something that matters to the team?”

“It matters because it’s a game of football and we want to win every time we step onto the field, but you can’t spend too much time looking at who plays who if this or that happens. We’ll go out looking to win, I’m sure Iran will do the same, and we’ll take the same approach in the knockout games.”

“Finally, a word on Alex Susnjar, who got the final goal tonight. You boys celebrated a long time considering the goal made it 4-1, what’s the story there?”

“Yeah, Alex is a good lad and he’s never scored for Australia before. There are a few guys in the team looking for their first goal, and we’ve promised to go nuts if they get one. He was the first, and hopefully there are a few more later in the competition.”

“Congratulations again on the win and your goals tonight Josh, best of luck for the rest of the tournament.”

“Cheers.”

From theasiangame.net

Asian Cup: Champions Cruise, Saudis Recover, Thais Soar

With the Asian Cup group stage reaching its midpoint, the number of teams establishing their place in the knockout stage is steadily growing, with several sides already on the brink of elimination. Very few nations are completely out courtesy of the four best third-place slots available, but a number of key match-ups are being set up for the final round of fixtures.

Defending champions South Korea are the latest team to book their place in the last 16, topping Group D with an impressive 4-1 win over Qatar. A brace from Hwang Hee-Chan and a third from Lee Tae-Ryung inside the first 30 minutes put the holders on course for a comfortable 90 minutes, and while Hamza Sanhaji pulled one back before the break, a fourth from Jun Se-Jin 15 minutes before the final whistle put the exclamation mark on a very impressive performance from a side cementing their place as pre-tournament favourites.

Saudi Arabia bounced back from their opening day defeat to the reigning champions with a solid if unspectacular 2-0 win over Indonesia at Suncorp Stadium, who require nothing short of a miracle to progress after back-to-back defeats. Abdulfatteh Adam and Mansour Al-Balawi grabbed the first-half goals to send the Green Falcons on the way, and set up a final-day showdown with [b]Qatar[/b] for second place in the group.

Across Brisbane at the Queensland Sports and Athletics Centre, Thailand produced a superb performance as they put five unanswered goals past Kuwait in a thumping victory. Three of the goals came in the final 10 minutes to add a thick layer of gloss to the final score, but the win puts the Thais in a strong position heading into their final Group E game with four points, not to mention cementing their position as a genuine dark horse for the title. Meanwhile, despite seeing their goal difference take a hammering, Kuwait remain in with a chance after their first round win over Bahrain and a third game against Syria yet to come.

Few will have expected anything other than wins for the three victorious sides, but the manner of the Korean and Thai wins will certainly make plenty of people sit up and take notice. Qatar won the tournament just two editions and are one of a group of outsiders waiting in the wings should the favourites fall short. For South Korea to be three goals to the good inside half an hour is a statement of real intent - the defending champions have now beaten both of their biggest rivals in what some had christened the tournament’s ‘Group of Death,’ and are surely now favourites to retain their crown.

Thailand are a more intriguing prospect - a nation which has seen steady improvement over the last few years without managing to break through into the top tier of the Asian game. A 5-0 win against a side above them in the group, and after a disappointing draw with Syria in their opening game could be the catalyst for them to make that jump. The manner of the victory, which saw star midfielder Supachok Sarachat score twice and set up two more of his side’s goals and the whole team apply relentless pressure even when comfortably ahead late on, was perhaps as impressive as the scoreline, and stands them in good stead for their best run since claiming the bronze medals in a six-team tournament they hosted back in 1972. 

Finally, a Saudi side in transition grabbing a win against the outmatched Indonesians should come as no surprise to anybody, but should perhaps be celebrated nonetheless - seeing the Green Falcons crash to the bottom of their group and out of the tournament would be a real shame for a side with their proud record at the competition. Their entire campaign now hinges on a winner-take-all, politically charged clash with rivals Qatar - while defeat and three points in the group would still present a chance to go through, it would be hard to imagine them then picking themselves up to defeat the likes of South Korea, Australia or Japan in the latter stages. Conversely, a victory in that decisive game would generate huge momentum for the team, and potentially set them on a path for unexpected glory. Such is the fickle nature of the Asian game, and a huge part of why we love it so.

“Welcome back to BT Sport, I’m Neil Taylor and with me today to review all the day’s Asian Cup action are two former Premier League stars who know all about this competition - Tim Cahill and Park Ji-Sung. 

“We’ve seen three 2-0 wins today for Syria over Bahrain, the UAE over Malaysia, and just now for North Korea over Jordan. Who impressed you most today?”

Park Ji-Sung: “UAE have won both games, two goals in the first 10 minutes is impressive. I think they could be a contender for the championship.”

Tim Cahill: “I’d agree they’ve been good so far, but I’m not sure they’ve been properly tested yet. I actually thought Syria did really well beating Bahrain, and you’d think four points would be enough to qualify even if they lose the last game. It’s great to see them doing so well.”

Neil Taylor: “North Korea were winners today as well, but their future is a little less clear. They needed two goals in the last 15 minutes to get past Jordan, do you see them as an outsider for the title at all?”

TC: “Not for me, I just don’t think they’ve got the quality to get past the better teams. They work hard, but they can be a bit naïve tactically and they don’t have the squad depth that you need at this level. I think they’ll qualify, but they won’t last much longer.”

PJS: “That’s right, they have some good players, but not enough to win the competition. This is a close group and they will go through, but not win.”

NT: “Let’s talk a bit about the United Arab Emirates, who have booked their place in the last 16 with two wins from two. They made light work of Malaysia today and in Ali Awana have a goalscoring midfielder in form. Could they go all the way?”

PJS: “I think so. Sometimes they struggle against the top teams, but they have good players and are getting better. You can tell they are confident, today was easy for them. I think they will go far this time.”

TC: “They’ve made it to the knockout rounds in the last three tournaments, and the semi finals in two of those, so they aren’t the outsiders they once were. I still think they’ve got a bit of a block when it comes to Asia’s top teams - they struggle against Japan, South Korea, Iran - but if they can get over that, they’re in with a chance. It’s a big if.”

NT: “Tim, I wonder if we can talk about one goal in particular from today, and that’s Wael Shaban’s second for Syria against Bahrain. You were known for your ability in the air, talk us through this one - how good a header is this?”

TC: “It’s a great header, he’ll be proud of himself when he looks back at it for sure. The cross from Al-Mawas comes in from deep on the right, and when the cross is that deep it’s often looping and slow, so you’ve either got to generate the power yourself or place it perfectly. In this instance he does that perfectly, you can see him watching the ball as he makes the run, never takes his eyes off it, and he’s looped it back across goal and right in the top corner, nobody’s saving that.”

NT: “Could the defender have done more to put him off, or made a stronger challenge?”

PJS: “The defender is in a difficult position, because the cross is so good and Shaban’s positioning is clever. If he pushes it’s a penalty, and he can’t reach with his head. But to score from there is still very hard, I don’t think it is his fault.”

NT: “Certainly one he’ll remember for a long time I’m sure. Now of course today wraps up the second round of group fixtures, which means one game left for every team.

“Group A concludes tomorrow with China vs Yemen and already-qualified Uzbekistan taking on Vietnam. Then Group B wraps up on Sunday with Japan vs Lebanon and Iraq battling with Tajikistan for second place in the group. 

“Monday and Tuesdays are bumper days with two groups each time - Groups C and D have Australia vs Iran for the group win with both sides already through, Oman vs Turkmenistan fighting for third in the same group, Group D winners South Korea playing Indonesia and then Saudi Arabia vs Qatar in a massive game for both teams, with the winner guaranteed to qualify.

“Then Tuesday’s line-up concludes the group stage with Thailand vs Bahrain and Syria vs Kuwait in a Group E where only Bahrain are out of it, and it’s a similar story in Group F - Malaysia are a long shot but could sneak through in third with a win over North Korea, while qualified UAE face a Jordan side who could get through themselves with a win. Plenty up for grabs in the last round. Do either of you think we’ll see any shocks in the last round?”

PJS: “I think Qatar will beat Saudi Arabia to knock them out. I don’t think they have been good enough.”

NT: “Tim?”

TC: “No big shocks for me. I think that game will end in a draw and both teams will go through, and I’m hoping for a big Aussie win against Iran. If we get three from three going into the knockouts, we’ve got every chance of going all the way.”

NT: “Thank you both, and thank you for tuning in at all. Join me again tomorrow when we’ll be reviewing the final Group A fixtures, and until then, have a great afternoon.”

From The Athletic

Zhang Yuning - Who Is China’s Hat-Trick Hero?

At half time in the final round of Group A fixtures in the ongoing Asian Cup, China stood on the brink of a shocking elimination. Having conceded a shock early goal to Yemen’s Ahmed Dhabaan at Sydney’s Stadium Australia, worse news awaited them at the break - more than 500 miles away in Docklands, Vietnam were holding a weakened Uzbekistan team to a 2-2 draw. As the teams headed out for the second half, China stood on the brink of an unthinkable elimination.

Enter Zhang Yuning. The AZ Alkmaar striker, who turned 30 on the eve of the tournament, is one of very few Chinese players plying their trade outside their homeland, and his form for the Dutch club has led to the hopes of his nation being placed squarely on his shoulders. Plenty of players have crumbled under such pressure before.

But Zhang is made of stern stuff. Five minutes after the restart, his clever flick allowed Jing Jun to fire his team level. In the 63rd minute, his glancing header put China ahead for the first time. When he left the field 20 minutes later, he did so to a standing ovation, knowing that his hat-trick had secured a place in the knockout rounds and earned him the match ball as a memento.

In the end it mattered little - Uzbekistan ran out 5-3 winners over Vietnam in a chaotic match - but the clinicism and determination of China’s star forward spoke volumes about his attitude to the game. Zhang is a man who has experienced setbacks in his career, and at each stage has overcome then.

Aged just 18, Zhang was sold by his first club Hangzhou Greentown (now Zhejiang FC) to Vitesse Arnhem, accompanied by all the hype associated with a young Asian making the move to Europe. But it took seven months for him to make his debut, a further month to score his first goal, and after just 27 appearances and four goals for Vitesse, he was sold to Premier League West Bromwich Albion, who promptly loaned him immediately to Werder Bremen of the Bundesliga. After failing to make a single appearance all season, the following year West Brom sent him back to the Netherlands and ADO Den Haag, where he immediately suffered ankle ligament damage when away with China’s under-23 side, and made just six appearances all season. In February 2019, still only 22 years old, he returned to China with Beijing Guo’an, his European dreams apparently in tatters.

But with a quiet steeliness, belief in his own ability and a quiet Christian faith - itself a rarity for a public figure in China - Zhang set about his work. A total of 84 league goals for Beijing not only makes him the club’s all-time top scorer, but also earned him a move back to the Netherlands with AZ. In his 18 months with the Alkmaar club, he has averaged a goal every 207 minutes, helping his new club to European qualification.

Those who know Zhang credit his impressive form in the second half of his career with a constant desire to improve, and a humility often lacking among international stars. Stanley Menzo, who managed the striker for two seasons in Beijing, identified this in the forward.

“Zhang was a perfect example to any young player,” said the Dutchman. “He gave training his full focus every single day, was always listening when you spoke to him. Some players treat criticism as a personal attack and switch off, but not Zhang - he’d come to you for feedback, to make sure he understood and had made the correction.

“You could tell he thought a lot about the game. He’s said in the past his footballing idol is Kaka - they share the same faith and that’s very important to him - but I’d liken him to someone like Ruud van Nistelrooy. Almost moving, always reading the play, always trying to outsmart the defender. He isn’t the fastest, but he doesn’t need to be, because he knows exactly where he should be on the field.”

Now, with China securing second place in Group A and Zhang joining Australia’s Josh White with four goals at the front of the Golden Boot race, there is little doubt where his nation’s hope now lies. If he is able to maintain his good form and finish the chances created for him, China have every chance of claiming their first ever Asian Cup title. While that is a big ask, what is more certain is that whether China become champions or not, Zhang Yuning will continue to be the best professional he can be.

“It’s another disallowed goal for Japan here in Brisbane, their third of the night, and somehow it remains goalless. Back to you Jonathan.”

“Thanks Steve, back here at the Optus Stadium in Perth it’s Tajikistan who are pushing for an equaliser, but yet another attack breaks down on the defensive rock that is Ahmed Ibrahim, and he looks like being Iraq’s matchwinner tonight.”

“He does indeed, and it was a classic defender’s goal too, getting above his man from the corner and powering the header past the goalkeeper. He’s been exceptional in defence, especially at 35 years old - his reading of the game is superb.”

“Sulaimonov on the ball for the Tajiks, scorer of his side’s equaliser against Lebanon in the first game - can he produce something here? Nothing on, back he goes.”

“It’s good defending this from Iraq, Tajikistan haven’t had loads of possession since the goal but Iraq are looking fairly comfortable at the minute.”

“Umarbaev collects on the left, quick one-two with Sulaimonov, whips in the cross but it’s too close to the keeper and Hassan collects easily, more valuable time off the clock for Iraq.”

“That’s right Jonathan, the referee brings things to a close with the game still scoreless. Japan had three goals ruled out for offside but couldn’t get one that counts. They top the group with seven points regardless, and Lebanon will be going home despite their first point of the tournament. It’s finished Japan 0, Lebanon 0.”

“Thanks Steve, here in Perth Iraq still lead Tajikistan by an Ahmed Ibrahim goal to nil and will go through in second place, but a goal for the Tajiks will see them leapfrog their opponents on goal difference. It’s Iraq with the ball now though, and not long left on the clock.”

“Tajikistan just can’t get the ball back, and the Iraqi pair of Iqbal and Bayesh are controlling the game in midfield. The Birmingham man is on the ball now, and he seems to have so much time.”

“He does, it’s an easy ball back to Ali Faez on the right side of defence, and the Tajik press is too tired to get to him. Infield to Ibrahim, forward to Bayesh - Iraq have taken all the sting out of this one and there is just one minute left for Tajikistan to find something here.”

“Hassan launches it downfield, the referee brings his whistle to his lips and there it is, Ahmed Ibrahim’s 73rd minute header gives Iraq a 1-0 win over Tajikistan, and they’ll join Japan in the last 16.”

“Tajikistan face a nervous wait now - we know Vietnam will take priority despite their matching goal difference as they’ve scored six to the Tajiks’ two, so if just one other third-place finisher can beat their record, Tajikistan will be out.”

“You’d have to think that’ll be the case now. Iraq looked in control for much of tonight though, how far can they go do you think?”

“So much of it depends on the draw at this stage, but nobody is going to want to come up against them. It’s an experienced team, a well-drilled team, and while they don’t have the big names and firepower of some of the favourites they can beat anyone on their day. I’m not sure I’d back them to win the title, but it’s great to see them doing well.”

From Eurosport

Late Goal Hands Australia Asian Cup Defeat

An 87th minute strike from Rasoul Lotfi earned Iran a 2-1 win over Australia in the Asian Cup, securing top spot in Group C at the hosts’ expense.

In front of a capacity crowd at Melbourne’s AAMI Park, the home side fought back well after going behind to Davoud Masanzadeh’s well-taken volley, quickly levelling the game through Michael Green’s far-post header and twice striking the woodwork through Josh White.

But they were unable to find a second, and were punished in the closing moments when Nantes forward Lotfi curled a 25-yard free-kick beyond Mat Ryan in the Australian goal. The victory sees Iran progress as Group C winners with three wins from three, with the hosts joining them in the knockout rounds following their defeat.

Despite a Muhsen Al-Ghassani hat-trick in their 4-1 thrashing of Turkmenistan in the other Group C encounter, Oman will not qualify as one of the best third-place finishers due to their poor goal difference, having been on the wrong end of the same scoreline against both of the top two in the group. Zafar Seydiyew’s 90th minute strike was small consolation for Turkmenistan, who leave Australia having scored just once and conceded 13 goals in their three matches.

Holders South Korea joined Iran and Uzbekistan as the group winners with a 100% record so far with a 4-0 win over an Indonesia side who failed to pick up a point in their campaign. The defending champions fielded a rotated side after winning their opening two games, but scored twice in the opening 10 minutes to ensure a comfortable victory over one of the competition’s weaker teams.

In Group D’s decisive game, a late strike from Abdullah Al-Ahrak proved crucial for Qatar. Trailing 3-1 to already-qualified Saudi Arabia with five minutes to go, the 2019 champions were on the verge of a surprise elimination, however the Al-Duhail midfielder’s second goal of the game reduced the arrears enough to see his side squeeze through in third place despite winning just one of their three matches. Al-Ahrak’s late intervention means Tajikistan can only progress from Group B if Group E and F, which conclude tomorrow, produce a third place side with three points and a goal difference worse than their own -1. Should the goal difference be equal, the Tajiks are likely to be eliminated as goals are the next tiebreaker, of which they have just two.

From theasiangame.net

Asian Cup: Jordan and Kuwait Spring Shocks, Thailand and North Korea Ease Through

The Asian Cup group stage has now reached its conclusion, and the path to the final is now clear for each of the 16 teams remaining. In today’s Group E and F encounters, the final sides secured their qualification, with a couple of surprises thrown in for good measure.

In Group E, Talal Al-Harbi’s first-half goal earned Kuwait a surprise win over Syria, allowing the Blue Wave to leapfrog their rivals into second place in the group and book a last 16 spot. Their vanquished opponents were guaranteed one of the third-place berths having already picked up four points from their first two fixtures, but will need to improve if they are to go any further.

Elsewhere in the group, Thailand lived up to expectations with a 3-1 win over Bahrain in Brisbane, with two goals in the first 15 minutes removing any pressure before Supachok Sarachat added the gloss in the dying stages. The War Elephants top the group, having dropped points only in their draw with Syria, and look to be hitting form just in time for the knockout stages.

As for Bahrain, they leave Australia pointless and with just a single goal to their name. While none of their defeats have been as heavy as those inflicted on the likes of Oman and Turkmenistan, at no point have they truly looked like taking anything from their opponents. For a nation of their stature, qualifying in the first place is to be celebrated, but there will be a sense of disappointment that they haven’t put up more of a fight in the tournament itself.

In Group F, Jordan secured a qualification which was very much in doubt heading into the final fixtures, picking up a 2-0 win over a UAE team already sure of a knockout berth and resting some of their key men in preparation. Even so, they will be counting on their big hitters to return in form if they are to go further than their last 16 clash with Kuwait. Meanwhile, Jordan will be huge underdogs against Iran, but their fans will be delighted to have made it through a difficult group.

North Korea left it late to make sure of victory against Malaysia in Sydney, netting two of their three unanswered goals in stoppage time at the end of the 90 minutes, but were largely unthreatened on their way to securing the runner-up spot in the group. They will take on Iraq in a last-16 clash which would have given American viewers nightmares once upon a time, while Malaysia join Yemen, Indonesia, Turkmenistan and Bahrain in leaving the Antipodes without so much as a point to their name.

Those five sides along with Lebanon, who also finished bottom of their group, were identified before the tournament as nations who were likely to struggle - the gap between top and bottom in Asia is shrinking but significant, and their performances here did little to suggest otherwise. Even Oman and Tajikistan - the two unlucky third-place sides to be eliminated - would have been unlikely to win a knockout tie had they made it, and there is still plenty of work to be done both by the countries themselves and by the AFC to ensure that these competitions are not a predictable fare for the same few teams each time.

But that is not to say the group stage has been a disappointment. We’ve seen spectacular goals, a few shock results, the emergence of some surprise contenders and a few top sides show signs of struggling. Australia have proved to be excellent hosts, even if some stadiums have been less than full for some of the competition’s lesser lights, and we approach the business end of the tournament with plenty to look forward to. From now on, there are no second chances. We’re expecting fireworks.

From BBC Sport

Mark Schwarzer column: Aussies can go all the way

Former Middlesbrough, Fulham, Chelsea and Leicester goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer picked up 109 caps for Australia over a 20 year career. Now he’s joined the BBC Sport team for the 2027 AFC Asian Cup in his homeland, and is writing a regular column on the tournament. In today’s entry, Mark previews the round of 16 and asks whether his beloved Socceroos can lift the trophy on home soil.

The group stages of the Asian Cup are over, and it feels like the competition has only just started - we’ve had 36 games in just 13 days, and if you’ve blinked at any point you’ve missed something. All the big names have made it through, but it hasn’t been without surprises - Uzbekistan beating China on opening night, Qatar scraping through by the skin of their teeth, Jordan and Kuwait with crucial wins on the final day.

It’s a wide open tournament, and the last 16 should be an exciting set of games. Some have obvious favourites but others are wide open, and I think we’ll see a lot of goals as teams push to make the quarter finals. I’ve made a little prediction for each match, and hopefully won’t end up with egg on my face in a few days’ time!

China vs Australia
The first game of the last 16, and what a game it promises to be. China lost to the Uzbeks on day one but otherwise looked pretty comfortable, and in Zhang Yuning they have one of the best strikers at the competition - he’s got four goals already. But despite losing to Iran, the Socceroos are in good shape. They’ve scored 10 goals in three games, they’re coming from all over the pitch, and with the home crowd on their side I’ll think they’ll be fine. I think they’ll win this, and I don’t see why the Aussies can’t go all the way and lift the trophy.

Japan vs Vietnam
Japan have been solid without setting the world alight, but we’ve seen them grow into tournaments before and they’re a top quality team, so I can see them winning this one fairly comfortably. Vietnam will be thrilled to be here but they’ve only beaten a weak Yemen side, and I’d be surprised if they scored a goal against the Japanese.

South Korea vs Syria
Syria in the knockout rounds is a great story and a brilliant achievement, but you’d have to imagine this is where the fairytale ends for them. South Korea are in good form, nobody has laid a finger on them, and I can’t see that changing here. Syria will put up a fight, but I can’t see them beating the champions.

Qatar vs Uzbekistan
Before the tournament, you might have made Qatar favourites for this one - Uzbekistan are one of those teams that often threatens success but manages to miss out. But Syria needed third place to get through - although they were all but qualified after two games - and only beat Bahrain, and Uzbekistan went three from three including a good win over China. Uzbekistan to go through.

Iran vs Jordan
Group F was a real scrap - three teams going through with two wins and Malaysia going home with nothing - but even though Jordan have done well to get here, they don’t stand more than an outside chance against the might of Iran. One of their two wins came against a rotated UAE, while Iran have a perfect record and are on a high after beating Australia. One of the more straightforward ties of the round.

UAE vs Kuwait
This is an interesting one, and closer to call than you might think. UAE won their first two and then changed it up to their detriment against Jordan, and might struggle to regain their momentum. Kuwait won close games against Bahrain and Syria, but got thrashed 5-0 by Thailand in between - they’re not the most predictable of sides. It’d be an upset if they got through, but I think they might just pull this one off.

Saudi Arabia vs Thailand
Behind Australia vs China, this is the tie of the round for me. The Saudis were unconvincing but pulled a performance out the hat when it mattered against Qatar, while Thailand are improving, went unbeaten, and picked up a couple of good wins to lay down a marker. I’ve got them down to win this one, and if they do it could signal their arrival as a genuine power in Asian football.

Iraq vs North Korea
This is probably the weakest pairing on paper, and one of the hardest to call. Both teams won two of their three games, but neither beat anyone you wouldn’t expect them to. I’m going to go with Iraq here - they’ve got an experienced side that know how to fight their way through, while the North Koreans aren’t used to knockout games at this level. To make it to last 16 after withdrawing in 2023 and being embarrassed in 2019 is a decent achievement, but for me Iraq have got the better of them here.

There you have it, a few predictions for you to laugh at in a few days time. I’ll be in Perth for Australia vs China, and I can hardly wait. Three days, eight games, and what is hopefully more wonderful football. And another win for the Socceroos, of course.

Socceroos Smash China, Set Up Japan Clash in Last Eight

The Socceroos continued to stake their claim for the Asian Cup trophy last night with an impressive 3-0 win over China in the round of 16.

Roared on by a raucous crowd of more 63,000 in Perth’s Optus Stadium, the hosts got off to the best possible start when Brandon O’Neill latched on to a loose pass in the Chinese defence before beating the keeper with a low shot to the bottom corner inside the first 40 seconds of the match.

China were clearly rattled by the early goal, and before the clock hit double figures were staring down the barrel, Jack Palazzalo twisting past his man on the corner of the penalty area and curling a shot into the far corner to double the Australian lead and spark wild celebrations in the stands.

After defeat by Iran in the final group stage match, John Aloisi’s side knew they could not afford to slip up again if their bid for a second Asian title was to continue, and with the early lead secured they managed the game well, allowing China’s star striker Zhang Yuning a solitary half-chance which he headed wide.

With the Chinese struggling to get a foot on the ball, the Socceroos wrapped up the tie within 10 minutes of the second half, Daniel Arzani gliding past two men on the left wing before clipping a ball in behind for Josh White to finish powerfully on the half volley. With the game over as a contest, all that was left to do was for the victors to soak up the adulation of the crowd at the final whistle.

Manager John Aloisi said: “It was a cracking performance, to hit them hard and early like that is always part of the plan but the boys executed really well today. When you get a lead early it gives you a lot of confidence, and Whitey’s goal was the icing on the cake.

“I thought we were really professional in the second half. There’s a long way to go so I didn’t want us running around like headless chickens out there, so we kept the ball well and conserved a bit of energy. It was pleasing to watch from the sideline.

“The fans here in Perth were just incredible, obviously the early goal helped but the atmosphere really lifted the lads, and I think it got to the Chinese players as well, you could see the nerves. We’ve had amazing support wherever we’ve been, and we’ll go to Melbourne expecting more of the same.”

The path to Asian Cup glory now runs through Japan in the quarter finals, after the Samurai Blue needed a late Shin Sawai goal to see off a dogged Vietnam side by a 1-0 scoreline at the Adelaide Oval. The four-time champions have grinded rather breezed their way through the competition so far, but Aloisi is not underestimating their next opponents.

“Of course we back ourselves to win it, but Japan have been here and done it plenty of times, they’re a very capable team and it’ll be a tough game. They’ve only conceded one goal all tournament and they know how to win, but so do we and we’ll have the crowd on our side. It should be a great game, but we’re confident we can come out on top.”

“I’m Dotun Adebayo and you’re listening once again to the World Football Phone-In, and we’re back with the Asian Cup - which can only mean John Duerden. John, we’ve already spoken about Australia and Japan’s wins, but what about the late game today? What stood out for you?”

“A couple of things for me Dotun, starting with just how comfortable South Korea are looking at this tournament. They’ve come into this with a massive target on their back as defending champions, but they’ve cruised though probably the toughest group in the competition and then tonight as well. It’s going to take a very good team to stop them.”

“Syria were perhaps not the toughest team they could have faced at this stage given they had to beat Qatar and Saudi Arabia in the groups, but they looked very confident today.”

“Confident is exactly the word - Syria had the potential to be a bit of a banana skin for them today, they’re an experienced, disciplined team, but there was no sign that any of the Koreans believed they’d do anything other than win easily, especially when Lee Jung-Woon got the early goal. It was impressive to watch.”

“The second and third goals came in the second half, and 3-0 seemed like a fair result on the balance of play. The holders will play either Qatar or Uzbekistan in the quarter finals - they face each other tomorrow - can either of those sides stand in their way do you think?”

“Stranger things have happened, but they beat the Qataris 4-1 in the group stage and it’s hard to see the sort of turnaround that’d need to happen to knock them out. The Uzbeks are a different proposition - they carry a much bigger threat in attack and will give them something to worry about - but you’d still make South Korea favourites for that one as well.”

“You mentioned earlier that they haven’t really been tested yet in the competition, do we know how they respond to pressure? Obviously there are huge expectations from the fans back home, but if they concede an early goal, for example, could we see them crumble?”

“It’s a fair question, but I’m not sure I see it happening. They’ve got that steely resolve we’ve seen time and time again - nothing seems to phase this side, and they’re supremely confident in their own tactics and ability. They’re winners, they’re used to winning, and it’s just what they expect to do.”

“A word on Syria then - you don’t want to just label them a feelgood story every time they win a game, but to reach the last 16 has to go down as a remarkable achievement given the background, surely?”

“It is - it’s not that long since the horrific civil war, and a lot of this team will have grown up through that, so from a footballing point of view that won’t have been ideal for them. Their domestic league was suspended for a year, a lot of players left the country if they were able to, facilities were destroyed - they’ve had to do a literal rebuilding job as well as a figurative one.”

“Is the age of the squad a concern? A lot of their key players you wouldn’t expect to see again in four years’ time.”

“The squad is definitely a little top-heavy when it comes to experience, and they’ve utilised that experience well this time round. But I don’t think they need to worry - they’ve brought a few youngsters to Australia as backup this time round, and their age group squads have done really well over the last couple of years. I think we’ll see a strong Syria back in 2031, ready to surprise people once again.”

“Looking ahead to tomorrow’s trio of games, and there’s a distinct Middle Eastern flavour with Uzbekistan the only one of the six teams in action representing a different region. John, we’ll start with their clash with Qatar…”

From eurasianet.org

Uzbekistan: White Wolves’ Win Fans Flames of Discontent

A surprising show of solidarity from a star footballer has given fresh momentum to growing disquiet on the streets of several Uzbek cities in the wake of their Asian Cup victory over Qatar.

The White Wolves recovered well from an early setback to record a 4-1 win over the Gulf state in their last 16 tie in Sydney, setting up a quarter final tie against defending champions South Korea.

Bunyodkor Tashkent winger Jasur Yaxshiboev proved the hero with two goals for his nation, but found himself creating headlines off the field for an unexpected display of solidarity with those protesting new proposals to grant President Shavkat Mirziyoyev greater authority.

Quizzed about his thoughts on protests back home by a local reporter after the final whistle, Yaxshiboev replied through his translator: “Of course we accept the congratulations of the President and are grateful to play for our country, but we play first for the people and we support them. It is not good for one man to have unlimited power, and for parliament to sit quietly. Our country is a democracy, and that means people have a voice.”

Such a brazen political statement is almost unheard of in the wider footballing world, where governing bodies often go to great pains to limit comments and interviews to the banal and cliche. For a Central Asian such as Yaxshiboev, who still plies his trade in his homeland, to volunteer such a view is unprecedented.

Unsurprisingly, key voices among the protestors have been quick to claim the forward as one of their own, with Telegram messages proclaiming him as a national hero and ‘man of the people.’ Earlier in the tournament, Mirziyoyev and his supporters were quick to associate themselves with their victorious team - after Yaxshiboev’s comments, their silence has been telling.

Uzbekistan’s participation at the Asian Cup may be coming to an end - South Korea will be heavily favoured for their quarter final tie - but it is unlikely that the furore over Yaxshiboev will die down any time soon. As one of the nation’s highest profile players he is not likely to be publicly censured, but will undoubtedly be questioned further on his stance. It is one thing to respond to a reporter overseas, but to reiterate his position at home will be much more difficult.

While the outcome of the proposals and public protests is far from clear, what has been apparent is that the government’s previous plan of connecting themselves to sporting achievement is fraught with peril - not only is any defeat then also linked to them, but there is also the risk of dissent from the sporting heroes themselves. Yaxshiboev’s comments may be unexpected, but they may also open the floodgates for other athletes keen to have their views heard.

From Eurosport

Azmoun the Hero as Last-Gasp Goals Settle Gulf Clashes

Last-minute drama hit the Asian Cup this afternoon, with injury time goals in round of 16 ties between both Iran and Jordan and UAE and Kuwait.

In Melbourne Docklands, fans were treated to a thrilling clash between Iran and Jordan, with veteran forward Sardar Azmoun opening the scoring with a glancing header after 18 minutes, only to see his side pegged back just four minutes later through Ameen Al-Shanaineh’s deflected effort.

Farshid Esmaeili put Team Melli back ahead five minutes before the break and continued to look good value for their lead throughout the second half, but it was in the dying moments that the game suddenly burst into life.

With less than a minute of the 90 remaining, a hopeful ball downfield was chased down brilliantly by Mahmoud Al-Zoubi, who cut past a flagging Iranian defender to break into the penalty area and fire a shot past Payam Niazmand to level the score at 2-2, stunning the majority of the 38,000 fans at Marvel Stadium donning Iranian colours.

But in a finish the superhero script writers themselves would have been proud of, the game was not done. With the final minute of added time ticking away, Saeid Ezatolahi’s pass found Azmoun 20 yards from goal, and the 32-year-old, who is retiring from the international game after the tournament, turned brilliantly before curling the winner into the bottom corner of the Jordanian net before being mobbed by his relieved team-mates.

Just two hours later in Brisbane, similar drama engulfed the clash between the United Arab Emirates and Kuwait. Leading 1-0 thanks to Abdulrahman Al-Kandari’s 6th minute goal, the underdogs looked to have defended valiantly against their favoured rivals, holding on to their lead into stoppage time.

But as one final ball was launched into the penalty area, Mohammed Al-Nahyan rose highest to break Kuwaiti hearts, looping his header in at the far post to send the game to extra time and deny Kuwait a famous victory.

With neither side able to find a breakthrough in the extra half hour, the match headed to penalties. For four rounds both teams proved perfect from 12 yards, heaping the pressure on the final takers. Abdulateef Al-Azmi stepped up for Kuwait and sent Mohamed Al-Shamsi the wrong way only to see his strike bounce back off the post, allowing Ali Saleh to crash home the winning spotkick and send UAE through to the quarter finals. 

There the winners of two dramatic ties will meet in what promises to be a fascinating encounter, although one must wonder just how much their late heroics will have taken out of them. Regardless of what happens next, it has been a spectacular day of Asian Cup football - the rest of the tournament has a lot to live up to.

From theasiangame.net

Asian Cup: War Elephants Humbled By Flying Falcons, Iraq Summon Spirit of ‘07

The final two games in the round of 16 at this year’s Asian Cup have now been played, completing the quarter final line-up. Joining the likes of champions South Korea and hosts Australia in the last eight are Saudi Arabia and Iraq, who came through contrasting games to set up a quarter final clash.

Saudi Arabia have been one of the tournament’s slow burners, failing to lay a glove on South Korea and only edging past Qatar in the group stage, leading many to wonder if they were a fading force. However, they have been quick to prove their doubters wrong, the Green Falcons taking flight at the perfect moment with a 4-1 thrashing of Thailand in the knockout rounds.

Undefeated in the group, Thailand were an underdog favoured by many for the tie, and got off to a strong start when Supachok Sarachat found the always dangerous Suphanat Mueanta in space inside the area, who obliged with an accurate finish to put the War Elephants 1-0 up after just 17 minutes.

The Thais had chances to extend their lead before the interval, but were left rueing their misses after a Saudi blitz completely changed the game in the second half. With less than a minute on the clock in the second period Mohammed Al-Zahrani headed in to level the tie, and just three minutes later completed the turnaround with a well-taken strike from the edge of the box to make it 2-1.

Al-Zahrani turned provider five minutes later for Abdulfattah Adam to add a third, and with the MCG emptying in the final moments, the Saudis found a fourth to rub salt into Thai wounds, firing themselves up the favourites list and bringing a disappointing end to a promising campaign from Thailand.

Saudi Arabia’s opponents in the quarter final will be Iraq, who put in a spirited performance to defeat North Korea after extra time, overcoming the disappointment of conceding a last-minute equaliser in the process.

The fans in Suncorp Stadium were not treated to the same level of goalscoring as those over in Melbourne, but a nervous and tense game was sparked into life by Aymen Hussein’s 76th-minute opener, the veteran forward deftly flicking in a low cross from the left to put his side on the way to the last eight.

The goal sparked a period of sustained North Korean pressure as Iraq retreated into their defensive shape, but only at the very last minute were they rewarded - in the fourth and final minute of added time, the ball fell kindly for Kim Yu-Song to rifle home from the penalty spot after a half-cleared free kick was sent back into the box, sending the tie to extra time.

Once there, it seemed the North Koreans had used all their energy getting back into the game, with Iraq transitioning quickly back to their attacking game. As their opponents seemed content to play for penalties, the Iraqis were rewarded for their adventure - Mahdi Kamel the hero after being sent through one-on-one, and leaving their rivals with insufficient time to respond.

Iraq, summoning the spirit of their title-winning side of 2007, now face a Saudi team with three titles to their name but trophyless since 1996 in what promises to be an intriguing encounter. The Saudis look to have hit form at the crucial moment, Iraq have proven their ability to grind out a result in any situation. One of these Middle Eastern giants will earn themselves a place in the semi finals, at which point ultimate glory seems very close indeed. 

From BBC Sport

Mark Schwarzer column: Asian Cup is coming to life in later stages

Former Middlesbrough, Fulham, Chelsea and Leicester goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer picked up 109 caps for Australia over a 20 year career. Now he’s joined the BBC Sport team for the 2027 AFC Asian Cup in his homeland, and is writing a regular column on the tournament. In today’s entry, Mark looks ahead to the quarter finals and back at the competition so far.

I’ve been told I should stop with the predictions, but I’m not so sure if I’m honest - I had a good go at the Asian Cup's last 16, and I only got two of the eight winners wrong. Admittedly Thailand got hammered by Saudi Arabia, but Kuwait only lost out to UAE on penalties, so I’m quite pleased overall.

But I’m not going to be do predictions for every round, other than reiterate my belief that Australia are on course to go all the way and win the trophy. They’ve got amazing support at home, they beat China more easily than anyone expected, and they’ve got goals coming from all over the pitch. Of course I’m biased, but the Socceroos look to be Asia’s in-form side at the minute, and I can’t see anyone stopping them.

In any international tournament, the group stage is often a mixed bag. There are some mismatched games, some close ones between big games trying to figure each other out, and everything in between. When it gets to the knockout stage though, everything is up for grabs, and this Asian Cup is coming to life in the later stages. I was lucky enough to see Australia beating China 3-0 in person, but that wasn’t the only highlight of the last 16 - Saudi Arabia turning it up to thrash Thailand, Sardar Azmoun’s late show for Iran against Jordan, Uzbekistan crushing Qatar. The big teams are doing what big teams do at the big moments, and we’re getting to the stage where they’ve only got one another to play.

Japan are next for the hosts at AAMI Park in Melbourne, and while it’s a shame that another game is at the MCG rather than this one, 30,000 screaming Aussies in the stands will be the 12th man for John Aloisi’s team. Japan have been professional without showing a great deal of anything special so far, only winning 1-0 against Vietnam last time, and there should be more to come from them. But to suddenly find another couple of gears against a home nation in top form is no mean feat, and I’m confident we’ll find a way through.

South Korea have looked good, and Syria were no match for them in the last 16. But Uzbekistan will be a real test for the holders - they beat Qatar 4-1 and looked very good in the process. This has the potential to be the tie of the round for me, two good teams with strong attacking line-ups going at each other. It’ll be the biggest test either side has faced so far, but you’d expect that at this stage of the competition.

UAE and Iran both had drama to deal with late on in the last 16 games - Iran getting that late, late winner through Azmoun and UAE scoring an injury-time leveller to take Kuwait to extra time and then win on penalties. I had UAE getting beaten last time and they’ve done well to get this far, but Iran are a giant of the Asian game and will be riding the high of the late winner, plus don’t have the extra half hour in their legs so it’ll be tough for UAE to go through. But stranger things have happened, and they’ve proved me wrong before!

Finally it’s Saudi Arabia vs Iraq, and another one that’s close to call. Saudi are a traditional powerhouse who have underachieved in recent years, Iraq are a permanent dark horse for these tournaments, and both sides have had to dig deep in this tournament - Saudi Arabia to get through the group, Iraq to battle past North Korea in extra time. I can see this one being a real battle of a game rather than a high-scoring affair, but it shouldn’t be any less entertaining for it.

Before I wrap up this column, a little word on the tournament so far, because it’s been an absolute blast. I know I wouldn’t say anything else, but the Aussies know how to put on a  party, and with all the diaspora communities getting behind their teams as well it’s been brilliant to see. There’s been some criticism of the choice of grounds used for the competition, but I think we’re on course to break the record attendance for an Asian Cup, and you can’t ask for much more than that - much rather give some of these sides to chance to play in front of 40,000 at the MCG than limit them to 15,000 at a smaller ground. It might not be capacity, but it’s getting more people to the game and that can only be a good thing, especially with some of the cheaper tickets getting families in as well. Australia knows its sport and how to put on an event, and this Asian Cup has only proved it once again.

“That’s it, the referee puts his whistle to his lips and we are heading for penalties. Nothing to separate Japan and Australia after 120 scoreless minutes, and the winner will be decided from the spot.”

“It’s a horrible way for someone to lose, but somebody has to. Australia have been the better team for much of the game but haven’t been able to break through a solid Japanese defence, and don’t forget Japan have had their moments on the counter too - Maeda should have scored and Kubo went close as well, so it’s not all been one-way traffic.”

“Not at all, chances at both ends but neither side able to grab the all-important goal. Brett, you’ve played in penalty shoot-outs before - what’s going through the players’ minds at times like this?”

“It’s nerve-wracking, especially when you’ve got a packed stadium like this, but you’ve got to trust your training. They’ll all have been practising for this situation, they’ll all know what their penalty is going to be and where they’re going to put it. You’ve got to trust it, project confidence, and hope the keeper doesn’t become the hero for the other side.”

“Both sides have mixed records from the spot through their history, but you’ve got to go back four years for Japan’s last competitive shoot-out and six for Australia - does that have an impact on players?”

“I don’t think so - if it’s years and years of it then sure it gets in your head, but as a club or country you expect to win and lose some, so unless you’ve missed one personally it shouldn’t make a difference.”

“It looks like it’ll be Mitoma to take the first penalty for Japan… and he makes no mistake, great penalty into the bottom corner, Mat Ryan with no chance.”

“Yeah, the keeper guessed right but that was just too far into the corner, great penalty from Mitoma.”

“Another great penalty, 3-2 to Japan now.”

“It’s the youngster, Mark Curuana, up next for Australia. Short run-up, he goes high…and over the crossbar! Mark Curuana looks like he’s on the verge of tears here, and Japan are two penalties away from the semi final!”

“It’s a big decision from the lad to go for the top corner, obviously he fancied himself but if you get it wrong there’s no margin for error. I hope it doesn’t cost his team, because it’s the sort of thing that can break a player.”

“Daiki Horikawa, another young player taking responsibility here. If he scores here Japan are one strike from victory.”

“Big moment for the 20-year-old. He looks nervous… but he buries it! Again Mat Ryan guesses correctly but it’s right into the side netting and Japan are on the brink now.”

“Massive amounts of pressure on the shoulders of Daniel Arzani now, he’s got to score to keep his side alive in the tournament.”

“He’s got a steely look in his eyes, complete focus from the winger.”

“Runs up… and scores! No messing from Arzani, huge fist pump to get the crowd going, and the Aussies have a chance!”

“Great penalty under pressure, blasted it down the middle and even a trailing leg wouldn’t have stopped it. He’s lifted Australia with that one.”

“It’s all in vain though if Shogo Aoki can convert here, he can make himself the hero here for Japan.”

“Mat Ryan has gone the right way for three of the four he’s faced so far, he think he’s got a save in him here.”

“Shogo Aoki to win it for Japan… saved! Huge moment in the shoot-out as Mat Ryan pushes it away, and the hosts are alive!”

“I knew it! The penalty’s at a good height but it’s still a big save from the keeper, and we could be all square again soon. What a moment!”

“In the midst of all that Josh White has already put the ball down for Australia, if he scores here we’re into sudden death.”

“Come on Whitey, bury this one.”

“Starts his run-up…oh that is coolly done! Just listen to the roar here in Melbourne! Josh White rolls his penalty calmly into the corner and we’re heading to sudden death, this ground has come alive and Australia are back from the brink!”

“No mistake from Souttar, and that’s four perfect penalties in a row in sudden death. It’s so, so tense here in Melbourne.”

“Daiki Hasioka now for Japan, we’re well and truly into the territory of players who do not want to be in this position. Strides back from the penalty spot, runs in…wide! Hasioka fires wide of the post, and Australia have a chance to win it.”

“Mat Ryan hasn’t saved it, but he’s a monster in that goal. He makes it look so small, he’s gone the right way nearly every time - the pressure just got to Hasioka there.”

“Shane Knight then, the substitute with a penalty to win it for Australia. Takes a long look at the goal, breathes deeply, starts his run-up… It’s in! Australia have won it! Shane Knight rattles his penalty in off the post and Australia are in the semi finals!”

“Yes! We were dead and buried at 4-3 down, but big Mat Ryan has played a blinder and that’s a great penalty from Shane Knight. He couldn’t have placed it better. What a team, what a game!”

“A quiet 90 minutes, a cagey period of extra time, and the most dramatic of penalty shoot-outs. At the end of a marathon evening here in Melbourne it’s Australia who win 8-7 on penalties, and are the first team into the Asian Cup semi finals. An incredible night of football comes to an end with a win for the Socceroos, and the hosts go marching on…”

Socceroos and South Korea Set Up Showpiece Semi

A comfortable 2-0 win for holders South Korea over Uzbekistan set up a huge Asian Cup semi final against hosts Australia.

Goals either side of half time from Hwang Hee-Chan and Lee Kang-In saw the defending champions cruise into the last four at Docklands Stadium, bringing the Central Asians’ run to an end and lining up a semi final for the ages at Stadium Australia in four days’ time.

The game pits the Koreans, who have been largely untroubled in the defence of their continental crown, against a home side boosted by raucous support and the high of a tense penalty shoot-out win against Japan the previous day.

With the other half of the draw containing Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, whoever comes out on top in Sydney will be hot favourites to go on and lift the trophy, increasing the stakes for a match between the tournament’s two in-form sides.

After the Socceroos’ win over Japan, manager John Aloisi promised the nation that his side would put up a fight against the defending champions:

“We all know South Korea are a top side, they’re the champions for a reason and obviously are favourites to go through tomorrow. But regardless of who we face, we’ll play our game and let them worry about us first of all. 

“Obviously we’ve got some tired legs out there after going the distance tonight, but we’ve got a few days to rest up and get ready, and we’ll carry a lot of momentum into the semi final. The boys are on top of the world right now, nobody is going to want to take a penalty against Mat now, and we’ve got the whole nation behind us. We’ll be ready for Korea or Uzbekistan.”

Uzbekistan put up a fair fight but struggled to threaten the Korean goal, and Hwang’s opening strike shortly after the half hour all but put an end to their challenge. Lee forced in the second 10 minutes after the break, leaving the White Wolves to reflect on a promising but ultimately fruitless campaign set against a backdrop of political instability back home.

Meanwhile, with the anticipation building towards Australia vs South Korea, the Iranians and Emiratis, Saudis and Iraqis will be hoping to move under the radar and take a step closer to the final themselves over the next couple of days. With Gulf rivalries ready to be renewed on the pitch, those quarter finals are likely to contain plenty of their own talking points as the tournament draws to a conclusion.

In short, don’t go anywhere - this Asian Cup is about to get interesting.

“Midway through this second half now, and there hasn’t been much in the way of goalmouth action to report. Both teams are struggling to create, and we seem to have got bogged down in a bit of a midfield battle.”

“That’s right, there’s been a real lack of quality in the final ball, and neither side has been able to sustain any sort of pressure. Iran have looked the most likely to break the deadlock, but UAE have had their chances too.”

“It’s the Emiratis who are coming forward here now, but Rashid’s ball is too heavy for Saleh to run onto and it’s easily dealt with by the defender, that’s typical of the match so far.”

“Absolutely, Rashid had time there but played the ball way too early, and Saleh was never going to get there. Both teams could do with a bit of patience in possession, otherwise this is going to end up going all the way to penalties.”

“Just over 20 minutes left to play in this one, still 0-0 between Iran and the United Arab Emirates. We could be in for a long night here in Melbourne.”

“Azmoun on the ball, 30 yards from goal. You can feel the anticipation rise whenever he gets possession. Feints one way, goes the other and shoots…”

“Great save from Al-Shamsi, it might have been drifting wide but you’ve got to be certain and he’s pushed it round the post well. Azmoun got a lot of curl on the shot, that was close.”

“Really good body movement from the forward to make the space for the shot, and I think it might have been bending into the top corner. Al-Shamsi is rightly being congratulated by his team-mates, but they’ve still got a corner to defend here.”

“The keeper is pushing them away now and back into position, they’ve got to stay alert here.”

“Corner comes in from the right, but it’s well cleared and we’ll stay at 0-0, quarter of an hour to go before extra time and possibly penalties.”

“It’s another ball aimed at Azmoun, but it’s not good enough and the defender will claim possession now.”

“Too hasty again from Iran, they’ve got to stop trying to force things.”

“Al-Attas on the ball now for the UAE, and he’s looking long towards Saleh breaking forward. Hosseini wins the header, but it’s only gone as far as Al-Bloushi! What a strike!”

“What a goal from the youngster! The volley flies into the top corner, Hamidi is rooted to the spot and the United Arab Emirates lead Iran by a goal to nil!”

“Ahmed Al-Bloushi has only been on the pitch for five minutes, he’s barely touched the ball, and now he’s fired his country to within touching distance of the semi finals! Superb technique on the volley, he watched it all the way onto his foot and it’s arrowed into the top corner.”

“You could argue Hosseini could have done better, he’s running back towards his own goal and all he’s done is head the ball up into the air rather than away. But take nothing away from the strike, I know he’s only 20 but he won’t score many better goals than that in his career.”

“Not long left for Iran to mount a fightback either, can they keep their Asian Cup campaign alive? Is there anything left in the tank?”

“Al-Shamsi launches it downfield, and it’s all over! The Iranian players are out on their feet on the pitch, but they’ve run out of time - it’s the UAE who go through to the semi finals of the Asian Cup!”

“It’s not been a classic match by any standard, but Al-Bloushi’s goal was good enough to win any game. Iran had their moments, but they seemed to be relying on Azmoun to find some magic, and the veteran couldn’t do it for them today.”

“His international career ends without the title you could argue he deserves, but tonight is all about this Emirati team. They came through one of the weaker groups, needed an injury time equaliser against Kuwait before winning on penalties, and are now just 90 minutes from the final.”

“It’s remarkable really, I don’t think they were many people’s tip for the trophy but here they are, and they won’t be settling for the semi finals. Abdullah Al-Shehi and his side will fancy themselves against anyone now, this is a huge win for them.”

“What about the Iranians, they won’t be happy with going home at this stage will they?”

“They won’t, there’ll be a serious review when they get back to Tehran I’m sure. It’s been a long time since they won the trophy, but you’d expect them at the business end and to go out like this against a team they’d expect to beat won’t go down well. I’d be surprised if Amir Ghalenoei keeps his job after this.”

“It’s always a shame when that happens, but international football is a results business and tonight it’s the UAE who have got the result, winning 1-0 against Iran thanks to Ahmed Al-Bloushi’s stunning volley. They progress to face either Saudi Arabia or Iraq in the semi final, while Iran and their fans are left wondering what might have been.”

From goal.com

Ali Lands Knockout Blow To Floor Saudis

An incredible late show from Mohanad Ali turned Iraq’s quarter final against Saudi Arabia on its head and sent the Lions of Mesopotamia roaring into the Asian Cup semi finals.

Already on the scoresheet after his 52nd-minute header cancelled out Turki Al-Moffarij’s goal straight after the break, the Al-Gharafa striker stunned Saudi fans once again in the 89th minute, finding space in the penalty area to fire home another equaliser after Abdulfattah Asiri’s penalty had opened up a 2-1 lead.

But with extra time seemingly inevitable, Ali had other ideas, collecting the ball on the edge of the penalty area and calmly slotting beyond Mohammed Al-Rubaie’s dive to complete the spectacular turnaround with his hat-trick goal in the final minute of injury time.

What makes Ali’s late intervention all the more remarkable is the fact that this was his first start of the competition, the 26-year-old having been handed a starting berth only after regular starter Aymen Hussein was deemed not to have fully recovered from the extra time win over North Korea in the last 16. 

His triple brings an abrupt end to a Saudi campaign which had gathered momentum with their thrashing of Thailand in the previous round, while Iraq will go on to take on the United Arab Emirates for a place in the Asian Cup final against either hosts Australia or holders South Korea.

The win means that Iraq are guaranteed to match the fourth place they achieved last time the competition was held Down Under - their best result since lifting the trophy in 2007. Meanwhile the wait for a first Saudi title since 1996 goes on, despite their half of the draw seemingly opening up a favourable path to the final.

Iraqi manager Hatem Ahmed told Channel 10: “We are so proud, so very proud. This team will always fight, even in the last minute, and today we got our reward.

“Ali played today because Hussein was not ready, and he was perfect for us. We have a strong squad, everybody wants to play, and we showed our quality today. We will be ready for the semi final, and confident we can win.”

After a pulsating performance at the MCG, it is little surprise that Iraq are feeling confident of reaching just their second ever Asian Cup final. They will be up against a UAE side also looking to make history after reaching the last four for the first time outside their own borders, and both teams will be able to play without pressure in the knowledge they will be underdogs for the final. If both teams can continue their last-gasp heroics, their semi final clash has the potential to be one of the most exciting games of what has already been a thrilling tournament.

From BBC Sport

Mark Schwarzer column: Fascinating Asian Cup is there for the taking

Former Middlesbrough, Fulham, Chelsea and Leicester goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer picked up 109 caps for Australia over a 20 year career. Now he’s joined the BBC Sport team for the 2027 AFC Asian Cup in his homeland, and is writing a regular column on the tournament. In today’s entry, Mark looks ahead to the final four after a thrilling set of quarter finals.

If it’s drama you’re looking for, it’s the Asian Cup you want. Three of the four quarter finals went right down to the wire, there have been spectacular goals and superb performances, and more late twists than a murder mystery. It’s been a fascinating tournament, and the trophy is genuinely up for grabs.

Starting with the Socceroos, the hosts were on the brink of losing it all against Japan, but Mat Ryan made himself a national hero in the shoot-out and came up with a massive save to take it to sudden death. As a goalkeeper in those situations you can only ever win because the penalty taker is expected to score, but there’s a lot of work that goes in on the training ground and behind the scenes research, so I was really happy for big Mat when he came up trumps. Shane Knight was the man who hit the winning penalty, but the whole team will take a huge amount of confidence into the semi final. Japan was a huge test, probably their first real challenge of the competition, and they showed real grit to make it through.

South Korea will be a massive test in the last four. The champions made it past Uzbekistan with very little fuss, they’re in great form and have won every game they’ve played at this tournament - their hardest match so far was their opening group game against Saudi Arabia. They’ve got a history of winning big names, their star players have got experience at the top level in European football, and their past record would suggest they’re favourites to go on and win it all again. But at Stadium Australia with the home fans against them, they won’t have it all their own way this time. It’s going to be a thrilling match-up.

Iraq pulled off one of the most dramatic turnarounds we’ve seen in their game against Saudi Arabia - you’d struggle to believe it unless you saw it for yourself. To be 2-1 down going into the 89th minute and come out on top is fairytale stuff, but it also takes a huge amount of grit and character. It’ll be interesting to see whether or not they stick with Mohanad Ali up front after his hat-trick heroics too - obviously he got the goals that fired them through, but he’s been an option off the bench for the whole tournament so far. If it was up to me I’d be starting him every game from now on. He’ll be incredibly confident, and opposition defenders are going to be worried about facing him.

That job will fall to the UAE, who had their own late show to beat Iran 1-0 with a spectacular volley from Ahmed Al-Bloushi. Much like Iraq, they were underdogs going into the quarter final and were not expected to still be here at this stage of the competition, so they’ve got nothing to lose and will be very dangerous opponents. They’re also the only side left who have never won the Asian Cup, so if they were to win this one it’d be massive for their fans and for football in the country. Given how close they’ve been to elimination at several stages, it’d be an amazing story.

A lot of people are looking at Australia vs South Korea and assuming that the winner of that game will go on and win the tournament. As a proud Aussie I’m obviously hoping that’s right and the Socceroos win through, but I don’t think it’s that simple. Your average football fan might not know as much about Iraq and the UAE as the higher profile pair in the other game, but both sides are here on merit and have come through some incredibly tough ties. It really is a wide open tournament when you get to this stage, and whoever lifts the trophy in Melbourne will be deserving winners.

“That’ll be all for the first half, and it’s still goalless here between hosts Australia and defending champions South Korea. Brett, it looks like the Aussies are up against it a little bit?”

“The Koreans have had more of the ball for sure, and when you haven’t got the ball you do get tired more easily. The midfield has to be very disciplined to stop the gaps forming, and so far they’ve done a good job of keeping Korea out. But with a team of this quality, they only need one chance and it could be game over.”

“Have you been surprised by the Australian game plan for this one? They’ve scored so many goals in the tournament but look to have set up quite defensively here.”

“I am, and to be honest I think Aloisi has probably given South Korea a little too much respect. We all know how good they are and what their record is, but you wonder whether the Australians are playing the reputation rather than the team in front of them. The Koreans haven’t really been tested yet this tournament - let’s see how they do under a bit of pressure, rather than just try to counter.”

“Is that a change you expect to see in the second half?”

“I hope so, but I don’t think we’ll see anything immediately. I suspect they’ll sit in for another 15 minutes or so, then assess where the game is and make changes. Both teams have got options on the bench, but one thing the Aussies do have is pace and that’s what you want in the last quarter of the match.”

“For all their possession, the best chance of the match so far did go to Australia - should Josh White have done better?”

“Obviously when the ball falls to your attacking players in the box, you want them to be hitting the target - Josh will be disappointed he hasn’t tested the goalkeeper from there. But at the same time it’s come to him quickly, the deflection on the cross means it's got under his feet a little bit, and he had to hit it first time. He’ll be disappointed, but I don’t think it’s one you could look back and point a finger over.”

“At the other end of the pitch, Hwang has been a real handful for the home defence, how can Australia keep him locked down do you think?”

“Hwang is looking dangerous, and the reason he’s looking dangerous is that he’s drifting across the line. Nominally he’s the centre forward, but he’s starting a lot of their moves over on the left wing and looking to come inside, so the centre back can’t follow him. The shot he had that went just wide came when he picked up the ball on the right wing - he’s very difficult to mark and the defence has got to make sure they know who is responsible for him. It’s really clever play, and really tough to deal with.”

“What’s the most likely outcome here then? 45 minutes to go, 0-0, Australia digging in. Are we going to go all the way to penalties like we did against Japan?”

“You can never bet against it when you’ve got two good teams cancelling each other out, but I’d be really surprised if this one went the distance. South Korea have got a lot of attacking threats, and I just can’t see Australia sitting back for 90 minutes. There’s going to come a point, either with 20 minutes to go or if the Koreans score, when they’re going to have to roll the dice and give it a go. The Koreans are too just to just hope to hold out, and over the course of a game there are always going to be chances - it could be a set-piece or even a mistake. I think we’ll have a winner in the 90 one way or the other.”

Thanks Oche, much appreciated. Glad you're enjoying the story!
--

From taegukwarriors.com

South Korea 1-0 Australia - To The Final!

A deserved win against stubborn hosts. Australia’s apparent attacking threat didn’t materialise until the final 15 minutes, and by then we were well equipped to sit in and play on the break. Captain Kim made the difference with a towering header, and we go to the final looking for back-to-back titles.

First Half
The team seemed a little nervous in the opening exchanges, possibly due to 80,000 Australians booing their every touch. A few passes went astray in the first quarter of an hour, and this was probably the hosts’ best period. In the 12th minute, a cross from the left was deflected into the path of White inside the box, but he couldn’t make a clean connection and the shot went for a goal kick.

Once the initial excitement died down, we started to assert ourselves. Lee Kang-In was clearly tasked with making the player from central midfield, and the Australian defenders seemed to be struggling to stop him. Hwang Hee-Chan’s movement was very good and he could have scored with a curling shot that Ryan saved, and the home team dropped off as we dominated possession.

That was the story of the rest of the half, Lee Kang-In and Hwang In-Beom largely dictating the play in midfield and Australia looking desperate to hold on until the break. We boosted our possession stats nicely without threatening too much for the final 15 minutes of the half, but went in at the break looking comfortable. Other than White’s early chance, the hosts had shown none of the attacking threat they’d displayed in the early rounds.

Second Half
There was obviously a tactical change from Australia at half time, because they came out hard after the interval. White headed over from a good position after Park Kyu-Hyun got caught ball-watching, and Arzani sent a daisy cutter wide from 20 yards as they began to increase the pressure.

But they left themselves open, and Hwang In-Beom’s interception started a move that saw Jun Se-Jin’s shot saved by Ryan. Lee Kang-In’s corner was a perfect outswinger, the offensive blocking worked brilliantly, and captain Kim Min-Jae crashed his header into the top corner for 1-0. You’ve never heard as loud a silence as the one that fell on Sydney.

That slowed things down for a few minutes as the Aussies tried to figure out what to do, but our confidence was high and we were winning every duel in midfield. Lee Kang-In almost made it 2-0 with a rising drive from 25 yards, and Australia’s best chance was a flashing header from Torres. We looked like we had another gear to go to if needed.

But it wasn’t. Australia hadn’t needed to chase before, and it all got a bit frantic - they weren’t sure whether to go long or short, commit men forward or watch for the break, and it got very disjointed. Torres found Knight for one good chance that he shot wide and the last five minutes saw an aerial bombardment, but Captain Kim and his men stood firm. 1-0 at the final whistle.

Conclusion
This was supposed to be our biggest test of the competition, and it was - but not as big as everybody thought. Australia’s gameplan was a mess - defend, then attack, then panic - and we won the game just by staying calm and playing our usual football. It didn’t need anything spectacular, and the defence wasn’t tested as much as we expected.

We’re in the final now, and while we shouldn’t be complacent, we are a better team than both Iraq and United Arab Emirates. We will be huge favourites to retain the Asian Cup, and defeat would be a huge disappointment. It’s been more than 20 years since anyone won back-to-back titles, but we’re ready to match Japan now. 

Aloisi Defiant After Semi Final Defeat

Socceroos boss John Aloisi has hit back at critics calling for his sacking after the hosts were knocked out of the Asian Cup by South Korea at the semi final stage.

Kim Min-Jae’s 58th minute header proved the difference at Stadium Australia and there were boos mixed in with the applause as the home side left the field at full-time, with fans left confused by what looked like a divergence from the tactics that had taken the team so far.

But Aloisi insisted his plan had been the right one, and that there had not been much between the two teams.

“We’re massively disappointed, obviously it’s gutting to get all the way to the semi finals and then be eliminated, especially in front of your home fans.

“But I don’t think the players deserve to be booed off, that’s not right. They’ve played well all tournament, and there wasn’t much in it tonight. On another day we could easily have been the ones celebrating, and you have to give credit to a great Korean team.

“We knew this was going to be the biggest test so far, and we couldn’t treat them like we did Turkmenistan or even China - against a team like Korea you’ve got to have more of a balance, and the guys executed the plan well for the most part. It all got a bit mad in the last few minutes and we could have used a bit of composure there, but that’s tournament football for you. I can’t fault the guys out there.”

When questioned about his own future, Aloisi was clear - he is the right man to take the Socceroos forward, and is relishing the challenge.

“I think it’s a little bit crass if I’m honest with you - this country was coming off the back of a shocking World Cup in the States, and we’ve got our best result here since the last time we won it, playing some great football along the way. If a couple of key moments go the other way tonight, we’re in the final and celebrating.

“Look, I’m proud to be managing this group of players, and it’s an honour to be the coach of the Socceroos. We’ve got three years now before the World Cup, and we’ve got to concentrate on making sure we get there without any drama. We’ve got a great bunch here now, plenty of players pushing for places, and we’ll learn our lessons from today as well. I think the future for Australia is pretty bright, and I intend to stick around and be part of that.”

So far there has been no word on the manager’s future from the FFA, with a routine statement confirming that there would be the usual post-tournament review in the coming days. Given that this will also have to include the country’s hosting of the competition on this occasion, it seems unlikely that anything will be decided quickly.

For our money, Aloisi has earned the right to take Australia to the World Cup. In less than a year in the job he’s got the team playing attacking football and scoring goals, even if the manner of the semi final defeat is a valid concern. A little more match practice against stronger teams, a little more international experience for the manager, and there’s no reason not to think he can get the results. This should come as a warning though - the Socceroos are a world apart from the A-League, and expectations will only get higher.

“The referee points to the spot, penalty to Iraq - Al-Hammadi can’t believe it, he’s pleading with the official, but it’s going to be a penalty!”

“It’s the quick feet from Iqbal that have drawn the foul there - he looked like he was going to cut back but he’s pushed it to the outside instead and Al-Hammadi has just left a leg dangling. You could argue he’s exaggerated the contact, but it’s definitely a foul and Iraq have a huge chance to pull level here.”

“You don’t like to see this though, the Emirati players are surrounding the referee in protest. He’s trying to send them away, but this is going to be a long delay until they calm down.”

“It’s not acceptable. You can see the manager going ballistic to the fourth official as well, it’s not going to do anything. It’s a big moment, everyone is right on the edge, but ultimately the player has made a mistake and they’ve got to accept that.”

“Some of the Iraqi players have come over to try and drag the Emiratis away, this isn’t a pleasant sight. But it is clearing up a little, we’ll get to the spot-kick in the end.”

“You’d think it’d be in their interests to let Iraq take it quickly, really - there are only three minutes to go, and if they score then they’re wasting time they could spend looking for a winner.”

“The only UAE player who hasn’t got involved is the goalkeeper. Mohamed Al-Shamsi hasn’t moved from the middle of his goal since the whistle was blown - he knows this isn’t getting overturned, he’s getting himself ready for this.”

“The referee has just about cleared the crowd of players from around him, and they’re taking up their positions on the edge of the box. The ball is in the hands of Mohanad Ali, and this is a huge moment for the striker.”

“It was his hat-trick that got Iraq to the semi finals in the first place, and now with two minutes to go he has the chance to send this match to extra time. Ali vs Al-Shamsi with the game on the line.”

“Al-Shamsi is making himself big, staring daggers at Ali. AAMI Park falls silent and Ali steps back from the ball.”

“The referee is giving his reminder about encroachment - this is ridiculously tense.”

“He blows the whistle, Ali hits it… oh, he’s put it over the bar! Al-Shamsi takes the plaudits from his team-mates but Mohanad Ali has smashed his penalty several rows back!”

“You don’t know whether that’s the pressure of the moment, the mind games from the keeper, or just a bad decision, but that is a poor penalty from Ali. Generally you go for power or placement, he’s tried to do both and he’s missed the top corner by a long way. Huge let-off for the UAE.”

“Football is a cruel game at times - one minute Al-Hammadi looks like costing his team, and the next Ali, the man who dragged his team here almost single-handedly last time, becomes the scapegoat for Iraq.”

“Jubilation for the Emirati players, but with little more than a minute on the clock you’d have to assume that’s it for Iraq now. You always expect there to be one chance, and they don’t come much bigger than that.”

“There it is! The final whistle blows, and the United Arab Emirates are through to the Asian Cup final! They face South Korea in their first final since 1996, and it’s Hazza Khalifa’s first half goal that gets them there.”

“Massive disappointment for Iraq, who played well and were handed a golden opportunity to level the scores late on, but Mohanad Ali blasted his penalty over the crossbar and that was enough. United Arab Emirates 1, Iraq 0.”

“After needing penalties to beat Kuwait in the last 16 and a late goal against Iran in the quarter finals, the UAE are just 90 minutes away from Asian Cup glory. They’ll have to beat the holders and favourites South Korea, but on this run it’d take a brave man to bet against them.”

From theasiangame.net

Asian Cup: Abdulrahman Believes UAE ‘Destined’ to Lift Trophy

Former United Arab Emirates star Omar Abdulrahman believes his country will go on to defeat South Korea in Sunday’s Asian Cup final after their dramatic semi final win over Iraq in Melbourne.

Mohanad Ali missed a penalty in the dying moments, allowing the UAE to hang on to their 1-0 lead and secure a place in only their second ever Asian Cup final, and first away from their home soil.

Abdulrahman, who picked up 73 caps for his country and is now a pundit for Abu Dhabi Sports, believes his countrymen are fated to go and lift the trophy, despite being underdogs against the defending champions.

“After watching this tournament so far, I believe we are destined to win the trophy. Every game there have been moments of fate for us, and I think there will be more in the final. South Korea have won three times before, but this time it is our turn to be champions. 

“Nobody expected us to be in the final, only the manager and the players believed. By the ranking we are maybe number seven or eight in Asia, but the team has shown the spirit you need to be a champion and to beat the strongest teams. I think Korea will expect to win, and they will be surprised.”

Abdulrahman, who played in both the 2011 and 2015 editions of the Asian Cup for the UAE, identified Napoli playmaker Lee Kang-In as the man to watch for the opposition, before revealing the difference between the UAE’s current crop and the teams he was a part of.

“Lee is such a dangerous player. He floats around the midfield, he always has time for another touch, and his passes always find their target. South Korea can score a lot of goals, but he creates most of them, and I think if you stay close to him you can stop a lot of their chances. 

“For me the difference between now and then is the difference in experience. I moved to Al-Hilal in 2018 for one year, and I was the first ever Emirati player to go outside the domestic league. Now, there are players in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Egypt, even China and one or two in Europe. The experience is bigger, there are different ideas, a lot has changed. In football you have to be open, to learn things, to grow. This is happening now for us, and you can see the difference.

“Of course, even watching now I am very proud of the team, but when you have been a player you will always wish you were in the team. If you were 10 years later, or in a different moment - it would be amazing to experience. But I am happy for the team now, and I think it is destiny that they win in the final. I am looking forward to celebrating.”

Whether the 2016 Asian Footballer of the Year’s confidence in his countryman is patriotic, fatalistic or both is a curious conundrum, but what is apparent is that those close to the squad do not believe their team is simply going to the final to make up the numbers. South Korea remain strong favourites to retain the title, but they will have to fight hard against a confident, determined opponent.

“Welcome back to BT Sport, I’m Neil Taylor and with me once again to look ahead to this weekend’s Asian Cup final are two former Premier League stars who know all about this competition - Tim Cahill and Park Ji-Sung. For your sake Tim we aren’t going to dwell on the semi final between your two nations, but it’s still a cracking final we’ve got to look forward to isn’t it?”

TC: “It should be, two top teams with very different expectations coming into the tournament. South Korea, as I’m sure Park here will tell you, will have expected to come here and defend their title - and they’ve done a brilliant job of it so far, much as it pains me. On the other hand you’ve got the UAE, who nobody thought would be playing for the trophy, and are chasing their own history. It’s a great prospect.”

PJS: “My country has a long history with this tournament. We are always among the favourites and won the first two, but that was 1960. After that we got to the final four times and lost all four before winning number five, so last time was a big celebration, a big relief. But now we expect to win, and that can create pressure too for the players.”

NT: “The United Arab Emirates, on the other hand, made it to the final in 1996 when they hosted the competition, but this is the first time they’ve got there since then, and they haven’t been favourites for a game probably since they took on Kuwait in the last 16. Does the lack of pressure help them do you think?”

PJS: “Yes, I think with less pressure you play more relaxed, and most players play better when they are relaxed. For Korea, there is the pressure of the title, plus the pressure of the record. It is a lot to deal with.”

TC: “I think there’s pressure on both sides, if I’m honest - the Koreans are going for their fourth title to tie Japan, but if you’re in the Emirati team and you know you can create history by being the first side to win a trophy, that’s massive. It’s nice to be the underdog, but as soon as you get into a final you just want to win the thing. Everything else sort of disappeared for me.”

NT: “What is South Korea’s plan likely to be, Park? So far we’ve seen them come through most of their games quite comfortably, will they change anything for the final?”

PJS: “No, I think there is one main plan and the team will keep it, because it works. We have only let in one goal, and that’s because the team is calm, organised, no panic. When we attack there is no space for a counter, and that is important when you are a favourite.”

NT: “Tim, can you see any way the UAE can break them down? What do they have to do to win on Sunday?”

TC: “It’s definitely possible, but they have to be perfect - only Qatar have scored against Korea and they were already 3-0 down at that point. I think they have to do a few things - they have to use the emotion of the occasion to their advantage, be careful not to get too excited when they do get chance to attack, and be clinical when the opportunity comes. Against a team like South Korea, you don’t get many chances, so they’ve got to make the most of them.”

NT: “What do you mean by using the emotion?”

TC: “It’s a big game and there’s a lot riding on it, so they’ve got to use that to raise their level rather than getting overwhelmed. Both teams will be well supported but I think a lot of the neutrals will be on their side as well as any Aussies in the stadium, and you can feed off that too. But you’ve got to be alive to the game too - if they sense their opponents are getting frustrated, you can exploit that.”

PJS: “An Ik-Soo is a very disciplined manager, and his players have to be too. There will be emotional moments, but I think the team can control themselves in the match. For me, the one weakness is the set-piece. We have some tall defenders but are not a big team, and have to be careful.”

NT: “Before we look back at the two sides’ journeys to the final, a quick prediction from you both. How do you think this will play out?”

PSJ: “It will be hard, but I think my country can do it, 2-0.”

TC: “I really want to go with the underdog, but I just can’t see it. 2-1 South Korea for me.”

NT: “Both in favour of the holders then - it really does look like the UAE have a big job on their hands to lift the trophy. But they’ve made it this far, and after the break we’ll be looking back at their tournament so far and the key moments along the way.”

“And we’re underway in the 2027 Asian Cup final! Hwang Hee-Chan knocks the ball back to Lee Kang-In, and South Korea will have the early possession. What an occasion this promises to be.”

“It certainly does, both teams will be right up for this for different reasons. Obviously South Korea are looking to retain the title they won in Qatar four years ago, with the UAE hoping to claim the trophy for the very first time. It should be a great game.”

“As the ball rolls out of play on the far side for a throw-in to the UAE, there have been some commenters this week suggesting that the two routes to the final haven’t been particularly balanced - is that something that plays into a day like today?”

“Not at all, and I think it’s a load of nonsense to be honest. You can only beat the teams in front of you, and if the UAE haven’t knocked out many of the big guns it’s because those sides have lost games elsewhere. Korea’s path to the final probably has been harder, but that’ll just mean they’re used to the big occasion.”

“A reminder to our viewers that the holders came through a group featuring Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Indonesia, defeated Syria in the last 16 before beating Uzbekistan and hosts Australia in the quarter and semi finals. The UAE topped a group with North Korea, Jordan and Malaysia before beating Kuwait on penalties, Iran and Iraq to get here.”

“Korea have had tougher games, yes, but it’s the luck of the draw. They’ve been favourites for all their matches, whereas you could argue the UAE were underdogs against Iran and Iraq.”

“Here is Ahmed Al-Bloushi, the man whose goal saw them past Iran in the quarter final. Tries to find Ramadan further forward but it’s well cut out by Hwang In-Beom and the Koreans get a foot on the ball.”

“It’s interesting listening to the fan reaction here - there’s a big Korean contingent in the stands, but the locals seem to have thrown their support behind the underdogs here. Lots of Emirati flags painted on Australian cheeks, it would appear.”

“Oh Hyong-Gue coming forward now, he’s running at the Emirati defence and they’re having to backpedal here. Let’s fly from the edge of the box, but it’s partially blocked and that’ll trickle through to Al-Shamsi in goal. Good intent from Oh there.”

“Yes, he got up to speed quickly and it looked like the defenders were scared to put a foot in on him. A good block in the end to take the sting out of the shot, but the Koreans will be happy with that start.”

“Hwang Sun-Hong on the touchline applauds his players for the attack, he’s one of those managers who always seems to be on the move, but he’ll be hoping for more of the same from his side.”

“The two managers couldn’t be more different in their demeanour. Hwang is pushing the limits of the technical area already, and Al-Shehhi in the opposite dugout is still sat down, looking quite pensive, no sign of any particular emotion. It’s going to be a fascinating battle. Between these two as well as the players on the pitch.”

“This could be a chance here for the UAE, free kick in a good position, slightly left of centre about 25 yards from goal. Three or four players over the ball as the Korean wall is forced back by the referee.”

“This is a dangerous position, it looks like it’s going to be either Awana or Hamad to take it.”

“Hamad runs in, steps over the ball, it’s going to be Awana!”

“My word!”

“What a strike! Ali Awana gives his side the lead with a stunning free kick!”

“25 yards out, bends it perfectly over the wall, Song in goal is at full stretch but he can’t do anything about that, right in the top corner. He couldn’t have picked his spot any better.”

“The Emirati supporters in the MCG are going absolutely wild, and you can’t blame them, that is a goal right out of the top drawer. And despite having the lion’s share of possession in this first half, with 10 minutes to go before the break the Koreans find themselves behind.”

“They won’t have expected that at all, they’ve looked reasonably comfortable and now they’re 1-0 down. We’ll see what they’re made of now.”

“That’s only the second goal they’ve conceded all tournament, and the first time they’ve fallen behind. The United Arab Emirates are not reading from the South Korean script today, that’s for sure.”

“So half time here in the Asian Cup final, and thanks to that incredible free kick from Ali Awana it’s the United Arab Emirates who lead South Korea by a goal to nil. Ange Postocoglou, have you been surprised at how the two teams have approached the game?”

“Not really, I think apart from the goal it’s gone pretty much as we expected. We knew South Korea were going to come out and look to dominate possession, to take the sting out of the Emirati pressure, and for the most part they’ve done just that. We thought the UAE would set up to contain their opponents and look for the break, and maybe they’ve been a bit more proactive than we gave them credit for but that’s been the pattern of it. It’s just the scoreline that’s a surprise.”

“You’ve obviously been in these positions many times as a manager, what do you do in these situations. Let’s start with Abdullah Al-Shehhi - you’re a goal to a good against a team everyone is expecting to beat you, presumably you’re expecting a backlash of some sort?”

“Absolutely - you won’t get it here at the MCG because it’s so big, but at some grounds you can go quiet and listen to the other bloke ranting and raving. Al-Shehhi’s set his team up well, they’re obviously executing the plan he’s given them, and they’ve got the lead. I don’t think you need to change anything just yet - tell them to stay switched on and focused, especially for the first 10 or 15 minutes, because that’s when the storm will come. If they can ride that out, you’ll see the Koreans getting desperate and maybe making mistakes. If I’m in Al-Shehhi’s shoes, I’ve got them right where I want ‘em.”

“And what about from a Korean perspective, what can Hwang Sun-Hong do to get his side back in this game?”

“Well they’re far from out of it, but I think they’ve got to look for more angles of attack. Everything in the first half has been very steady, very central, all in front of the defence, which isn’t always a bad thing but it means the opposition know what they need to do. You saw early on when Oh ran at the defence they struggled to cope - I want to see the wingers more involved, a bit more urgency, balls in behind for runners. I don’t think they need to change the players just yet, but they can’t just hope to pass the other side to death.”

“Let’s have a look at the opening goal again, is it a foul for you?”

“Definitely. I think Kim is unlucky because he’s trying to turn, but he gets his legs all tangled and he brings the man down. The referee has to give it.”

“And then the strike itself, is there anything Song could have done to stop that?”

“The only way he’s stopping that is if he’s two or three steps further over, and if that’s his starting position then Awana can stick it in the other side. It’s great technique, head over the ball, gets it up and down, curling right into the top corner. If you look at the replay, the goalkeeper couldn’t be reaching any further, it’s a full stretch dive. Sometimes you just get beaten by a great strike.”

“Before we go back to the commentary team Ange, how does this one end for you? Do you think South Korea can turn this one around?”

“They’ve got the talent to do it, but they won’t do it with their current approach. The Emiratis are a good side, they’ve got a plan and they’ve got the lead. Korea have got to force the issue now, otherwise they’ll end up with silver medals.”

“Great ball from Lee between the defenders, finds Hwang cutting in off the left. He’s got space behind the defence now, Al-Shamsi comes to meet him… Just wide! Hwang tried to lift it over the goalkeeper and it drops just wide of the near post, big chance for South Korea there.”

“It was, but all credit to the goalkeeper for sensing the danger. He came over quickly, didn’t go to ground too soon, and by the time Hwang took the shot the angle was too tight for him. Good goalkeeping.”

“The Koreans have got in behind on a couple of occasions in this second half but haven’t managed to find the finishing touch, 65 minutes gone and still 1-0 to the UAE.”

“They’ve definitely been a bit more direct and that’s brought chances, but not just at this end. Saleh and the substitute Al-Nahyan have both gone close at the other end, it’s becoming a more open game.”

“Corner now for the Koreans, and it’ll be Song to take. Gives the signal, then delivers an outswinger into the box.”

“Headed up but not really away there, this could cause problems here.”

“Al-Shamsi decides to stay on his line, Hwang gets a head on it but it’s blocked, oh it’s fallen to Lee! The champions are level!”

“The UAE will be wondering how they’ve conceded there. It’s a simple corner but the header goes up rather than out, nobody really knows what to do when the ball drops back down and in the scramble it’s popped out for Lee to fire home.”

“It’s a simple finish from the midfielder, right on the edge of the six yard box, but some serious questions to be asked of the defending.”

“You need someone to take responsibility for the situation. Sometimes that’s the goalkeeper, but I don’t think he did anything wrong - you can’t go charging through that many players unless you’re very confident, because if you don’t get a good punch you’re in no man’s land. As soon as the ball hits the ground they’re in trouble, and Lee can’t believe his luck.”

“Just 11 minutes of normal time remaining, and it’s now South Korea 1, United Arab Emirates 1. If it stays like this of course, we’ve still got extra time and potentially penalties still to come. What a finish we have on our hands here.”

“Still one apiece here at the MCG, just five minutes to go between South Korea and the United Arab Emirates. It’s the defending champions on the ball now, goalscorer Lee goes back to Kim in defence, and he switches it quickly left to Hwang Hee-Chan on the halfway line.

“He finds Oh further forward, back to Hwang In-Beom in midfield, this is a good move from the South Koreans and he’s got runners if he can pick them out.”

“That’s an awful ball, and there could be a break on here.”

“Al-Bloushi brings it away down the Emirati left, breaking into Korean territory, it’s four on four here all of a sudden. Gives it to Awana inside, he’s got Al-Nahyan to his right.”

“Awana is wide open if he can find the reverse ball.”

“Drives the pass back to Awana, but it’s not accurate enough… Saleh! 2-1! Ali Saleh might just have won the Asian Cup for his country!”

“He’s the only one moving, the only one switched on. The ball was intended for Awana but he’s gambled on it and it’s paid off.”

“Al-Nahyan meant that for Awana and it just went past him, but Ali Saleh continued his run behind the Korean defence, no question of offside, and it’s a simple finish from 10 yards out. No chance for Song in goal, and the UAE lead again with four minutes left to play.”

“Hwang Sun-Hong is furious on the sideline, his defenders practically stopped once the pass missed its target, nobody went with Saleh and he was under no pressure whatsoever. He did well to keep his composure, but you can’t fall asleep like that with so much on the line.”

“He’s got his work cut out for him now, that’s for sure - if his side are to retain their title, they’ll have to do it the hard way. 86 minutes played here in Melbourne, and it’s South Korea 1, United Arab Emirates 2.”

Edited by EvilDave

Thanks for the kind words sherm, glad you've enjoyed it so far!
--

From BBC Sport

Emirates Stun South Korea to Lift Asian Cup
United Arab Emirates 2-1 South Korea

An 86th-minute winner from Ali Saleh secured a first Asian Cup title for the United Arab Emirates, shocking defending champions South Korea at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Australia.

Saleh snuck beyond the Korean defence to latch on to Mohamed Al-Nahyan’s pass and net the winning goal, just minutes after Lee Kang-In had equalised for the holders following a poorly cleared corner.

UAE midfielder Ali Awana had given the underdogs the lead in the first half with a superb free kick, curling the ball into the top corner from 25 yards out.

The final whistle sparked jubilation for the victorious players and staff, with manager Abdullah Al-Shehhi hoisted into the air during the celebrations. The 47-year-old becomes the first man to lift a trophy for his nation in just their second Asian Cup final, this triumph coming more than 30 years after they were beaten by Saudi Arabia in the 1996 final.

South Korea enjoyed more possession than their opponents, but were unable to find their way past an organised and disciplined Emirati defence, registering just four shots on target over the course of the 90 minutes.

The UAE started the game more cautiously, but led at the interval thanks to Awana’s textbook free kick. After Korean captain Kim Min-Jae brought down Abdullah Ramadan with a clumsy challenge, Awana bent his strike beyond the dive of Song Bum-Keun to give his side the advantage.

The second half saw the three-time champions apply more pressure and play a more direct style of football, which was rewarded when Napoli midfielder Lee pounced on a loose ball from a corner to level the scores with 10 minutes to play.

But their hopes of a late turnaround were quickly dashed when a late counter-attack saw Al-Nahyan’s ball work its way to Saleh, who finished clinically beyond Song to earn his country’s first major international honours.

United Arab Emirates captain Khalifa Al-Hammadi:
“It’s a dream, a dream come true. To lift this trophy with my brothers, to win for my people, it’s an amazing feeling. We knew we would have to fight hard, we knew it would be difficult, but we have a great spirit and we kept fighting. We are so proud right now, it is incredible.”

South Korea manager Hwang Sun-Hong:
“Of course we are very disappointed, but we have to congratulate the opponents - they played a good match, a great tournament, and now they have the trophy. Today we were not brave enough to win, we made some mistakes at key moments, and they took advantage. We are very disappointed, but we will come back stronger.”

Edited by EvilDave

From theasiangame.net

Asian Cup: Winners and Losers After Emirati Ecstacy

The 2027 Asian Cup is now over, the showpiece final providing excitement until the final moments of the competition as Ali Saleh’s late strike gave the United Arab Emirates their first continental triumph with a 2-1 victory over previous champions South Korea.

The UAE’s win was a surprise, not only for those present in Melbourne but for regular watchers of the Asian game, with Abdullah Al-Shehhi’s side not usually considered among the continent’s primary forces. 

But beyond the immediate headlines and aftermath of the Emirati win, we’ve taken a moment to reflect on the tournament as a whole to pass our verdict on Australia 2027. Starting with…

The hosts
Ever since Australia joined the AFC in 2006, they have been seen as a safe pair of hands when it comes to hosting tournaments. It only took nine years before they were given hosting rights for the 2015 Asian Cup, and only 12 more before their second turn in charge. Geographically, there may be some question marks over whether an Australian presence in Asia is really fair, but there is no doubt they put on an excellent show.

The Australians were almost defiant in their selection of stadiums for the games, bringing out the big guns - the MCG, Stadium Australia, Adelaide Oval - and daring fans to stay away, rather than attempting to compromise by utilising smaller grounds. There were undoubtedly matches when the offer on the field did not match the splendour of the surroundings, but even with empty seats in the stands the tournament never felt lacking compared to some editions elsewhere on the continent. Things ran smoothly, there were no controversies or complaints - from a fan, footballer and AFC perspective, it is hard to fault the Aussies as hosts.

The winners
We’re not just talking about the champions here, although the UAE definitely qualify as one of the sides to have come out of the competition with more credit than they went in with. Joining them here are some of their West Asian compatriots - Iraq after a surprise run to the final four, Saudi Arabia after turning round a tournament that appeared in crisis to reach the quarters, and a Syria side who reached the knockout rounds against all odds. All can be pleased with their performances.

As can the hosts, who could have ended up in the final had their semi against the Koreans gone the other way, an Uzbek team who looked very good until coming across the eventual runners-up, and North Korea, who were surprise qualifiers from their group and took Iraq to extra time in the last 16.

The losers
It would be cruel to place South Korea here despite failing to live up to their favourites tag, so we won’t. Instead the biggest two disappointments of the competitions were China, who were beaten by Uzbekistan in the opener and then blown away by the hosts without threatening in the last 16, and 2019 champions Qatar - who won just one of their three group games and then got aside by the Uzbeks in the knockout round. Not exactly the performance of would-be contenders.

Hopes for the future
We’re focusing here on those teams for whom this competition probably came one cycle too soon, but who we would expect to be back with a bang in four years’ time - the ones to watch, as it were.

There are two teams we’re keeping an eye on, and the first is Uzbekistan. It’s almost a running joke that the Central Asians are a dark horse for every tournament, but this time they looked very good until running into the South Koreans in the quarters. With a relatively young squad, another few years of experience will do them the world of good.

Alongside them are Thailand, who have been on the up for a number of years now and were unfortunate to find Saudi Arabia in top form in their last 16 clash. Some of those players will be gone by 2031, but there’s a good crop coming through and they’ll be primed for a stronger push next time.

Thanks for the memories
This is the section in which we bid farewell to some of our AFC heroes who have called time on their international career. We wave a fond farewell to the likes of Takuma Asano of Japan, Iraq’s Mustafa Nadhim, and Yasser Al-Shahrani of Saudi Arabia.

But the main man is of course Iran’s Sardar Azmoun, who has carried the hopes of his nation for many a year. Team Melli’s talisman could not lead his nation to a fairytale ending, but his ailing body still put up a great fight for his nation. After 117 appearances and 78 goals for his country, we say thank you and goodbye to a titan of the Asian game.

The ones that stay with you
Finally, a chance to look back and recall those moments that will find their way onto future highlight reels, YouTube compilations and promotional clips. Not necessarily from the big games, but we don’t rule those out. We came up with four:

First up, Ali Awana’s free kick in the final. It’s not often you see such a clean, pure strike of a dead ball, and you’ll be seeing this one over and over again. The fact that it was in the final, for the underdogs - it’s too good to leave out.

Second, a tie between Azmoun’s 93rd-minute winner for Iran against Jordan in the last 16 - his second of the game and his last ever international goal - and Mat Ryan saving Shogo Aoki’s penalty in the quarter final. Two pivotal moments in crucial games that we haven’t seen the last of.

And finally, our choice for the moment of the tournament goes to Mohanad Ali’s quarter final hat-trick for Iraq against the Saudis, with goals two and three coming in the 89th and 92nd minutes to turn the tie around. It stunned the favourite, continued a fairytale run, and was unexpected coming from a man in his first start of the competition. It doesn’t get much better than that.

And that, as they say, is that. Congratulations once again to the United Arab Emirates on their Asian Cup trophy, Australia on hosting a fine tournament, and Sardar Azmoun on a marvellous international career. We’re already looking forward to India in four years’ time.
---

That's all for this story - a surprise winner at the end of a long and entertaining tournament. Thank you for joining me on the journey, and hopefully see you soon in another one!