How to get Rashford scoring in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1?

image.thumb.png.6de04243a00f25ad69fe3d7c335891a4.png

The biggest problem I keep facing is that one of my central midfielders will lob the field all the way to the corner and then Rashford is with the ball with no support. That's why I lowered the tempo down. 

If I put Jonas Wind on a supporting striker duty, he will drop really deep next to the central midfielders while the opponent backline sits back, unaffected by Wind dropping down to midfield. 

The key movement I want is for there to be an overload on the right side, stretching the play with Denzel Dumfries (he's not in the screenshot), who can then pass it back to Antony -> Rice for a quick side change for Rashford to be 1v1 with the opposite fullback or him finding the channel between the RB and RCB.

I have really struggled to create space up top. My IW on the right has been a disastershow with both Antony and Sancho always receiving the ball but being unable to get past their marker. 

For teams that press up high, I want quick transitions to my agile forwards.

For teams that sit back, I want to overload the right and then free up the left for Rashford and Gaya to wreak havoc. 

I assume I am doing pretty much everything wrong and have lost the tactical identity of the first two seasons when I would pass the opposition to death. In the third season, everyone is pressing up high and I have no idea how to readjust to get the best out of my players.

How would you approach this?

Edited by TehGoatLord

3 minutes ago, TehGoatLord said:

How would you approach this?

Two things stand out for me:

1) Work Ball into Box - this will add even more patience to your game and can potentially void attacks, this is a TI I'll use for killing off games or if I'm going for ultra possession not one I'll use as a staple 

2) Fernanades on Attack - you say you're struggling to find space in the final third, moving him to Support should help with this. IF and CF on Attack is a great combo and I feel is enough for the tactic. Bruno has aggressive Traits to (IIRC) 

7 minutes ago, TehGoatLord said:

For teams that sit back, I want to overload the right and then free up the left for Rashford and Gaya to wreak havoc. 

Try focusing play down the right hand side then :thup: I think you're set up well for it 

You could add the Counter TI too :thup:

1 minute ago, Johnny Ace said:

Two things stand out for me:

1) Work Ball into Box - this will add even more patience to your game and can potentially void attacks, this is a TI I'll use for killing off games or if I'm going for ultra possession not one I'll use as a staple 

I had to use this because the CMs kept taking potshots when the attacking transition would fail, also the crosses that would be hit at the legs of the defenders. 

I will try your suggestions and see what works. For now, this has stopped the goals leaking and it's a tactic that works but I want Rashford to score 25+ goals from the IF-A position. It's kind of like a tactical challenge for me. Btw, your 4-3-3 thread was the inspiration for this.

image.thumb.png.c81c9879a7116e7d07f1d4045954ff64.png

I'd prefer a support duty striker/AMC if i wanted the IFat as my main threat, especially against teams that sit deep.

14 saat önce, TehGoatLord said:

If I put Jonas Wind on a supporting striker duty, he will drop really deep next to the central midfielders while the opponent backline sits back, unaffected by Wind dropping down to midfield. 

Actually i don't see this as an issue. If opponents are unaffected by him, your players can easily overload them deep thus create space eventually. Maybe WBiB hinders the pattern you want to see? 

On 20/06/2023 at 05:06, Halbraum said:

I'd prefer a support duty striker/AMC if i wanted the IFat as my main threat, especially against teams that sit deep.

Actually i don't see this as an issue. If opponents are unaffected by him, your players can easily overload them deep thus create space eventually. Maybe WBiB hinders the pattern you want to see? 

So should I drop the passing length and tempo to keep the ball around in the overloaded zone until the DMs and CBs get engaged and drawn out? Usually even players like Eriksen and Sancho get tackled into oblivion against a packed 10 man defense.

On 19/06/2023 at 09:59, TehGoatLord said:

The biggest problem I keep facing is that one of my central midfielders will lob the field all the way to the corner and then Rashford is with the ball with no support

I'm not surprised, neither or those roles will dribble much and so there main option to progress the ball is gunna be a longish ball forwards. AM is pushing higher (attack mentality) and likely to be marked by a DM and so there best bet is to lump it wide and see what your AML or AMR can do with it. Maybe consider making one DM a volante and changing the AM -> AP (or at the very least change them to support duty)

On 19/06/2023 at 10:13, TehGoatLord said:

Rashford to score 25+ goals from the IF-A position

In your current 4231 I think you'll struggle to do this as he is competing with both the AM and CF as a scoring option. Your main creator role is the IW and he's gunna have a much easier time finding passing for the AM and CF than he will the IF.

To make an IF-A the main goal threat you'll need players to make space for him and also players to spot his runs to then find him with a killer ball. If I were doing this I'd would most certainly switch to a 443 and use a supportive striker with a playmaker role in central midfield.