Is the a better midfielder combination in box midfield tactic?

1 hour ago, playerblair said:

I have created this 4231 which turns in a lobsided 343 box midfield. I have feel that the BBM is a passenger, but an sort of playmaker get in the way of the IWB(s). What would you suggest?

image.png.19e1fef0a4ec7c75e722ce31c37d8b68.png

What do you dislike about the BBM? They roam but if they tend to be defensively responsible players. 

I would look at the width on the left hand side of your tactic. The IF cutting inside will prevent the IWB from inverting. Also no one is defending there which could be a big problem. 

Peps system utilizes two IW(s) who stay wider (I think) if that's what you're trying to emulate. 

Idealy i would like to defend as 4231, this is the reason I have used BBM because like you said they will comeback on defense. But in possession id like them to operate higher so that both the BBM and AP act as creators and supply short through ball to both IFs and AF. However, the BBM doesn't have the impact I would like them to have and I feel a role on attack duty wouldn't commit to the defensive side of the tactic, and a playmaker will drop to deep get in the way of the IWB.

4 hours ago, The3points said:

Could Mezzala work?

As suggested here, I think Mezzala would work better, he's higher when in possession, and will still drop back when defending (support role).

Wingers are still the go to if you want your wingers to provide the width, IF and IW will go to the half spaces earlier which would stop IWB from inverting.

8 hours ago, playerblair said:

But in possession id like them to operate higher so that both the BBM and AP act as creators and supply

BBM isn’t a creative role. If you are really looking for a second playmaker, that is also making late runs, then a RPM could suit you well. That role can be even deployed in the DM strata.

If you are looking for an aggressive runner into the box, I’d pick a SV, maybe even on an attack duty.