Playoff for Champions League Positions

nielsoncp

Hi friends - James Lawrence Alcott posted this tweet, and I'm curious if it's realistically doable in Football Manager (I know advanced mode is a maze that can theoretically do, well, anything, but knowing the exact combination takes the precision of a grizzled programmer): 

I'm assuming it would take creating a second stage, qualfiying teams 3-7 for it, and then setting up the necessary fate actions for each round, but does anyone else have any thoughts about how it could theoretically work? This is mostly a theoretical question, but I thought a few of you in here could find the challenge interesting. 

Yeah I think that could work. For anybody trying though, you probably shouldn't use fate actions. The vast majority of times people complain about continental competitions not working correctly it's because they've used fate actions to try to qualify teams and have messed things up. It doesn't work like that. It all has to be done here:

20230522102306_1.thumb.jpg.570ae62bf2dbb0ceb73beac20823ff1a.jpg

While I think it would be possible, I still see 2 potential issues though. Firstly, it would be a playoff for the 4th European place, NOT the 4th UCL place. Drop down the rankings and maybe you end up with a 4th-7th playoff for the Europa league where both finalists qualify anyway making it pretty pointless. Secondly, it may have issues with the 2024 format change where England can regularly get a 5th place. I'm not sure how/when exactly the extra place is applied, but assuming it would be after the league is fully complete, the team that's 4th would probably get it if they lost the playoff, and the team 5th if the 4th team won the playoff. If 4th is guaranteed a place win or lose the playoff it's again kind of pointless.

Thanks Rusty! I appreciate the thought on how it could be structured. I did manage to create a version of it in my US mod using the Continental cup rules that seems to work, so it is doable. Apparently we really can do most things with enough futzing. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/05/2023 at 02:28, rusty217 said:

Yeah I think that could work. For anybody trying though, you probably shouldn't use fate actions. The vast majority of times people complain about continental competitions not working correctly it's because they've used fate actions to try to qualify teams and have messed things up. It doesn't work like that. It all has to be done here:

20230522102306_1.thumb.jpg.570ae62bf2dbb0ceb73beac20823ff1a.jpg

While I think it would be possible, I still see 2 potential issues though. Firstly, it would be a playoff for the 4th European place, NOT the 4th UCL place. Drop down the rankings and maybe you end up with a 4th-7th playoff for the Europa league where both finalists qualify anyway making it pretty pointless. Secondly, it may have issues with the 2024 format change where England can regularly get a 5th place. I'm not sure how/when exactly the extra place is applied, but assuming it would be after the league is fully complete, the team that's 4th would probably get it if they lost the playoff, and the team 5th if the 4th team won the playoff. If 4th is guaranteed a place win or lose the playoff it's again kind of pointless.

To get around this issue you would create two versions of the league.  Version one would be a default, however version two would need to have requirements to only run if there are 7 Automatic European places.  I'm assuming you can set rules where it excludes teams already qualified, however a euro places playoff is quite complicated to duplicate!

39 minutes ago, Shrew82 said:

To get around this issue you would create two versions of the league.  Version one would be a default, however version two would need to have requirements to only run if there are 7 Automatic European places.  I'm assuming you can set rules where it excludes teams already qualified, however a euro places playoff is quite complicated to duplicate!

Even then with the 2024 change you're not going to know if you get an extra place until the very end of the season. So you'd have the 7 places, get the playoff league, finish your playoffs, then if your country did well in Europe you get an extra UCL place effectively rendering the playoff pointless since one team that lost in it will get a UCL place anyway.

You can do playoffs for any position, second, third, fourth etc fairly easily, that will take priority for European qualification, I did it with San Marino using some of the flags like "use playoff rankings". But as Rusty said I can't imagine a way to make it dynamically account for coefficient changes, cup winners, etc