Defensive Line instruction

While I can set my defense higher in one instruction, I can also set it deep with the other instruction, and these two instructions do not interfere with each other. Isn't that so silly? I've been looking at the descriptions of the instructions and I can't see a difference in either, they say pretty much the same thing.

You can set your DL to higher, in this way your DL will be closer to your midfielders in order to have a compact block.

With the "drop off more" instruction, your CDs will be more inclined to manage the space behind them. That's useful if you want to play a mid block with a higher DL (compact block) but are still worried about the pace of a striker for example

15 dakika önce, sonnevillejr said:

You can set your DL to higher, in this way your DL will be closer to your midfielders in order to have a compact block.

With the "drop off more" instruction, your CDs will be more inclined to manage the space behind them. That's useful if you want to play a mid block with a higher DL (compact block) but are still worried about the pace of a striker for example

I mean, not what they mean. Why are there two different instructions that do the same function?

Aren't the lowest tier of the left instruction and the "drop deeper" instruction on the right exactly the same? If so, why are there two of the same instruction?

In one of the instructions here I can set up the defense high and in the other I can set it up deep at the same time. If the two don't function differently, that's ridiculous.

fm23-tactical-instructions-out-of-possession109a0b738838c227.png.55baf21066798055be01a8296ed57bdf.png

Edited by ObeLisk

4 minutes ago, ObeLisk said:

I mean, not what they mean. Why are there two different instructions that do the same function?

Aren't the lowest tier of the left instruction and the "drop deeper" instruction on the right exactly the same? If so, why are there two of the same instruction?

fm23-tactical-instructions-out-of-possession109a0b738838c227.png.55baf21066798055be01a8296ed57bdf.png

The names of the instructions have been change since, now it's "drop off more" and "step up more", if you play a standard DL with "drop off more", your defenders will position themselves accordingly to your DL instruction (standard). If the opposite ball carrier is free to progress the ball, your defenders will be more likely to anticipate a long ball so they will retreat, with the risk of leaving too much space in front of them. If you choose "step up more", they will be more likely to step up and limit the space in front of them

13 dakika önce, sonnevillejr said:

The names of the instructions have been change since, now it's "drop off more" and "step up more", if you play a standard DL with "drop off more", your defenders will position themselves accordingly to your DL instruction (standard). If the opposite ball carrier is free to progress the ball, your defenders will be more likely to anticipate a long ball so they will retreat, with the risk of leaving too much space in front of them. If you choose "step up more", they will be more likely to step up and limit the space in front of them

I got it now. Dude, I'm Turkish and the Turkish translation of this game is terrible :D The description of these two instructions also tells me they function the same. Thank you bro.

• 2 weeks later...

The translation is wrong. 
The top one tells a team to restrict space by getting the defensive line to step up and compress the space. This leaves open the chance of a ball that come over the top of your defence if your defensive line is high.

The second instruction is drop deeper it basically tells the defensive line to drop and move down the pitch as a team attacks. If you play a high block for example, and add drop deeper you could open space up between your attack and defence. 

How your team behaves depends on the overall shape and structure of your tactic based on the roles and duties you chance chosen. In simple terms “Step up More” the first instruction squeezes space and is generally more risky and “Drop Deeper” is a safety first approach.

On 27/05/2023 at 09:16, Rashidi said:

The translation is wrong. 
The top one tells a team to restrict space by getting the defensive line to step up and compress the space. This leaves open the chance of a ball that come over the top of your defence if your defensive line is high.

The second instruction is drop deeper it basically tells the defensive line to drop and move down the pitch as a team attacks. If you play a high block for example, and add drop deeper you could open space up between your attack and defence. 

How your team behaves depends on the overall shape and structure of your tactic based on the roles and duties you chance chosen. In simple terms “Step up More” the first instruction squeezes space and is generally more risky and “Drop Deeper” is a safety first approach.

All of what Rashidi said.  I just want to add something to further highlight the difference, using an example.

In my current system with Inter, we play a 5-1-2-2 / 5-3-2.  The back three center backs are set up as:  WCB-S, CD-C, BPD-D and I've instructed them to play in a higher line. What I noticed was, if I selected "step up more" *in addition to the higher line setting* I would frequently watch the CD-C step up into midfield and leave a gap behind. This is the exact opposite of what I wanted. Why didn't I expect that behavior? Because I was lazy and always figured "step up more" acted differently. When you watch the match and compare, you'll see the differences.

So, think of it like that.  Even a cover-duty central defender will aggressively step forward if you use "step up more."   Note, this does not happen all the time in a match.  I believe it occurs in those 50/50 situations where a defender has a choice to make.