Toothless 4-2-3-1

I am currently trying to implement a 4231 with the GeGen instructions as a base. I thought that it would be quite a high-risk/reward set up but in reality, it producing quite dull results with an inordinate amount of 0-0 or 0-1

My best two players are an AML and a DMC who are both great playmakers, a really good AF and a AMR who is a good IF.  I'm wanting to play a Gegen style, use my DMC to drive the play forward and then use the AP to unpick the lock but like i said, it is just producing defensive football

Set up is

GK - SK D

DL - WB A

DC - CD D

DC - CD D

DR - WB S

DMCL - DM D

DMCR - RPM S

AML - AP s

AMC - AM S

AMR - IF A

ST - PF A

Team instructions are virtually the preset GeGen press with a few tweaks. Is there anything obvious I am missing?

Thanks in advance

The default Gegenpress 4231 has:

• 4 attacking duties (WB/A, IF/A, AM/A, PF/A)
  • 3 support duties (WB/S, RPM/S, IF/S)
  • 3 defend duties (CD/D, CD/D, BWM/D)

Since the preset tactic works fairly well you should be able to change a couple of roles and keep the base of the tactic working. Although I think that a RPM/S + AM/S + AP/S will all operate in the same area so that's something you may want to take a look at.

he main question for your issues may be, is your team good enough? Because if you're playing Gegenpress with the weakest team in the league you definitely won't run past everybody.

18 hours ago, Spartak Trigger said:

I am currently trying to implement a 4231 with the GeGen instructions as a base. I thought that it would be quite a high-risk/reward set up but in reality, it producing quite dull results with an inordinate amount of 0-0 or 0-1

My best two players are an AML and a DMC who are both great playmakers, a really good AF and a AMR who is a good IF.  I'm wanting to play a Gegen style, use my DMC to drive the play forward and then use the AP to unpick the lock but like i said, it is just producing defensive football

Set up is

GK - SK D

DL - WB A

DC - CD D

DC - CD D

DR - WB S

DMCL - DM D

DMCR - RPM S

AML - AP s

AMC - AM S

AMR - IF A

ST - PF A

Team instructions are virtually the preset GeGen press with a few tweaks. Is there anything obvious I am missing?

Thanks in advance

Screenshot your tactic and we can tell you why it's not working rather than guessing. 

Edited by Cloud9