Mark tighter ????

5 hours ago, ThomasHK1979 said:

So you recommend to go high press + tighter marking?

Depends on how much risk you are willing to take and how capable your players are. But yes, if you really want to win back the ball no matter what, I would go high press + tight marking + get stuck in

On 30/01/2023 at 06:57, ThomasHK1979 said:

Can someone explain this to me. ? How and when do you use mark tighter for your players. High press system? Mid block? Possession? Counter football?

Skærmbillede (22).png

I usually use it as a OI or PI to either shut down a specific dangerous player/position (like their playmaker) or to force the opposition into areas to create a pressing trap where your boys can win the ball back. The in match pass map can be a great way of seeing where you want to neutralize the opposition.

Like other people mentioned it's really player dependent on attributes of the players involved and can leave you in caught out against quick players. This risk is amplified the closer the players/spaces your tight marking are to your goal. 

2 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

I usually use it as a OI or PI to either shut down a specific dangerous player/position (like their playmaker) or to force the opposition into areas to create a pressing trap where your boys can win the ball back. The in match pass map can be a great way of seeing where you want to neutralize the opposition.

Like other people mentioned it's really player dependent on attributes of the players involved and can leave you in caught out against quick players. This risk is amplified the closer the players/spaces your tight marking are to your goal. 

There is no OI for tighter marking in FM23 ?

20 horas atrás, CARRERA disse:

Depends on how much risk you are willing to take and how capable your players are. But yes, if you really want to win back the ball no matter what, I would go high press + tight marking + get stuck in

What about a low block with more urgent pressing and get stuck in? So you keep a more compact block but press more aggressively when they enter the zone

17 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

What about a low block with more urgent pressing and get stuck in? So you keep a more compact block but press more aggressively when they enter the zone

One of the reasons why teams often combine a pressing approach with a high block is, that they may need time to reorganize if their pressing traps dont work. So pressing in a low block may work, but does come at a way higher risk than it would in a high block.
Pressing involves multiple players and may require them to give up their position which will open up exploitable space behind them. Usually you dont want to see that if the opposition already is close to your goal. Thats why a low block often is combined with a greater emphasis on protecting space (less pressing) to cut off passing lanes and stay in a compact shape.
What you can do to not become too passive is to actually approach the opposition more physically by getting stuck in. Yes, there is always a risk to receive a free kick, but that may be handable if you really want to distrub the opposition.

Edited by CARRERA