Need some advice on making my own skin ?

Hibs1875_Sauzee

hi everyone, 

as the title says ive been thinking of doing my own skin, bare with me whilst i try to explain and get it across of what im trying to achieve.

ive not got the first clue where to start and read through few articles and to be honest even reading it went right over my head, didnt think for a minute it would be easier to do but certainly thought was more simpler than what i was reading, so brings me to my point

so i have quite a few skins that ive used in the past and theres three in particular that have certain parts of each skin that stand out so i was thinking i could do a skin with those three main parts in the one skin. would i need to start a skin from scratch or is any chance i can do it lazy way and add files from the three skins of the parts that i like and make skin that way. if not then can someone point me in direction how to start and what programs i need in order to start

i may also add that ive managed to take screenshots of the pages i would like to make into my skin but i dont know where on my computer they would be stored as ive never screenshotted on football manager before so this all new to me.

thanks to anyone that able reply :thup:

The best way to start is use a skin you like as a base. You combine screens from other skins where you like the other skins layout or design better and implement them in your skin. By doing so you will get some basic understanding of how skinning works and what kind of work is involved.

Starting completely “blank” if you have no knowledge or experience is very overwhelming and as you will experience skinning is VERY time consuming and some things can only be resolved by “trial and error”.

Look for skins on various sites (fmscout, sortitoutsi, fmitalia, footballmanagergraphics and of course here for ideas and inspiration and work from there. Keep in mind that 100 people have 100 different ideas of how a skin shouldnlook like, so follow your own path and ideas.

48 minutes ago, Hibs1875_Sauzee said:

if not then can someone point me in direction how to start and what programs i need in order to start

you need time, time, time, more time .... and some more time
in the early days, it is quite likely that you will spend 8, 10, 12 hours a day, and the result will be 0.
if you dare, it is best to start by trying to change the standard skin. there can be many nuances with custom skins.

1 hour ago, a31632 said:

The best way to start is use a skin you like as a base. You combine screens from other skins where you like the other skins layout or design better and implement them in your skin. By doing so you will get some basic understanding of how skinning works and what kind of work is involved.

Starting completely “blank” if you have no knowledge or experience is very overwhelming and as you will experience skinning is VERY time consuming and some things can only be resolved by “trial and error”.

Look for skins on various sites (fmscout, sortitoutsi, fmitalia, footballmanagergraphics and of course here for ideas and inspiration and work from there. Keep in mind that 100 people have 100 different ideas of how a skin shouldnlook like, so follow your own path and ideas.

Thanks for the reply, this may sound daft but how do start with base of skin I like, as a says I’ve not got a clue where to start, some help put me in direction would be great as going to give it a bash tonight thanks again

1 hour ago, Olas Nick said:

you need time, time, time, more time .... and some more time
in the early days, it is quite likely that you will spend 8, 10, 12 hours a day, and the result will be 0.
if you dare, it is best to start by trying to change the standard skin. there can be many nuances with custom skins.

Yeah I know it’s not going to be a 5 minute job, I’ve got the idea in my head and need to follow through to try it 😂, how go about starting from standard skin ? Thanks 

1 hour ago, Hibs1875_Sauzee said:

Yeah I know it’s not going to be a 5 minute job, I’ve got the idea in my head and need to follow through to try it 😂, how go about starting from standard skin ? Thanks 

Here is the 1st post you need to read.. 1 thread ↓

After you're done with the 1st thread, you will go to this post ↓

and all ( more or less) what you need will be here

at this point, you should be well underway to have done something in the base skin
and now comes trial and error and lots of asking in this wonderful forum

I wish you a happy time making your own skin and or changes to what ever you fancy

1 hour ago, snowofman said:

Here is the 1st post you need to read.. 1 thread ↓

After you're done with the 1st thread, you will go to this post ↓

and all ( more or less) what you need will be here

at this point, you should be well underway to have done something in the base skin
and now comes trial and error and lots of asking in this wonderful forum

I wish you a happy time making your own skin and or changes to what ever you fancy

Thanks very much for all that, tried having wee play about tonight but it’s a lot to take in and a lot to read I need a step by step and not loads of reading 😂 thinking I’ve bit of more then I can chew here

21 minutes ago, Hibs1875_Sauzee said:

Thanks very much for all that, tried having wee play about tonight but it’s a lot to take in and a lot to read I need a step by step and not loads of reading 😂 thinking I’ve bit of more then I can chew here

There sadly isnt a step by step, and i doubt you'll find anyone who will have the time or patience to hold your hand to do a step by step... only way is reading and trying

Get familiar with the contents, look at the graphics, look at the accompanying configs to see how it relates. Look at panels, get familiar with the coding. Download any skin, use it as a dummy and experiment. Edit the code, reload the skin and see how you've effected it.

Extracting the base files is a decent place to start. See the guides if need be re. the resource archiver.

When you're ready. Start on one screen or one part at a time. 

Use the search function in the forum to assist. There is a lot of information on here, just requires a bit of initiative.