Defensive Football

I'm currently playing FM 23 on Xbox. 

I've found more success with attacking football, I like to test my tactics with Leeds and almost every time it's the same. 

I score a decent amount of goals but my defence is always one of the worst. 

I start pretty well but the second half of the season is usually a train wreck. 

I've tried to play more pragmatic football looking to counter, but when I try that approach I do even worse. I can get my striker scoring but my defense is always hideous. 

I know some people are against this, but could anybody help me with a simple tactic that should create a good balance between defence and attack. 

Possibly even a 433 and 4231 variations, even a 3 at the back. I'm losing the will to play the game as I don't want to revert to 4231 Gegenpress like I have every year for the past 4 FM's. 

I play a simple 433 atm. 

Balanced mentality: left overlap, right underlap, shorter passing, counter, distrib short kicks, mid block, drop off more. 

(From right to left)

GK-D, FB-S, BPD-D, CD-D, FB-A, DM-D, MEZ-A, AP-S, W-S, IW-S, AF-A.

Really solid base to build from imo. 

I struggled with my 2022 tactic in this years game, absolutely leaked goals, getting battered in my first season, finished 15th, not far off the relegation zone

So I set out to create a vice like defensive tactic in my lower league save 2nd season, and it's going quite well, 25 games undefeated streak going ,Farnsley invincibles, legends in the making :) (in the last match equalised with the last kick, so the streak is getting wobbly )

Plays some nice counter attacking football, I like a 1-0 win, so it might not be for you as it has an aggressive press from a low block, and I pay "special" attention to the opposition best players. Nearly always play cautious, though I have a slightly more attacking version trained up and a (even more) park the bus version

The FBs have further forward dependent on the oppositions strength down that flank, so there is some nice wing play. I actually, did not change much of the base vertical TikaTac setup TBH, tinkered, but kept it simple where possible.

It is nice and compact and tough to break down, but lethal on the break.

I also have house rules where I can only buy players who my scouts find or I have spotted in a match. No trolling through list of players or hanging out on best players forums

Not spent a penny on buying any players yet!

image.thumb.png.ac90da1de321edc04e15fe3ff20c9d92.png

image.thumb.png.8f0681cd99cc4af93361156b4b6e6c12.png

image.thumb.png.d43d6b1f5b255934c755ea445758d9df.png

Edited by Gruf

8 hours ago, The3points said:

What's going wrong with the current tactic? And can we see it? Many tactics balance defence and attack well, however it would be easier if you have a general vision of the direction you're going

Positive

Play Out of Defence, Higher Tempo

Counter Press 

High Press, High LOE, Press More

SK-De

WB-Su CD-De CD-De WB-Su

DM-De

Mez-Su CM-Su

IW-Su                             IW-At

AF-At

Every time I start okay, then go on massive runs without a win, then end the season near the bottom with one of the worst defences in the league. 

You need quite capable players to pull of a system such as this. You are basically trying to force turnovers high up the pitch and you are also trying to play at a breakneck speed with the ball, while telling your players to take a lot of risk, so if you give away the ball (due to high risk and high tempo) or the opposition beats your press you will concede big chances on a regular basis.

Il y a 12 heures, Gruf a dit :

I struggled with my 2022 tactic in this years game, absolutely leaked goals, getting battered in my first season, finished 15th, not far off the relegation zone

So I set out to create a vice like defensive tactic in my lower league save 2nd season, and it's going quite well, 25 games undefeated streak going ,Farnsley invincibles, legends in the making :) (in the last match equalised with the last kick, so the streak is getting wobbly )

Plays some nice counter attacking football, I like a 1-0 win, so it might not be for you as it has an aggressive press from a low block, and I pay "special" attention to the opposition best players. Nearly always play cautious, though I have a slightly more attacking version trained up and a (even more) park the bus version

The FBs have further forward dependent on the oppositions strength down that flank, so there is some nice wing play. I actually, did not change much of the base vertical TikaTac setup TBH, tinkered, but kept it simple where possible.

It is nice and compact and tough to break down, but lethal on the break.

I also have house rules where I can only buy players who my scouts find or I have spotted in a match. No trolling through list of players or hanging out on best players forums

Not spent a penny on buying any players yet!

image.thumb.png.ac90da1de321edc04e15fe3ff20c9d92.png

image.thumb.png.8f0681cd99cc4af93361156b4b6e6c12.png

image.thumb.png.d43d6b1f5b255934c755ea445758d9df.png

I'm sorry, but i would like more informations on your set up.

Why you choose theses roles and duty?

Can you share your "special attention" on the opposition instructions?

And finally, more infos on the others tactic used...The more attacking and the "Park the bus".

It's a lot. Sorry. Thanks.

Roles and duties - aiming for compactness more than anything, If you kept most of them all at support it would be even more compact, but you  need a bit of adventure somewhere :) My best player is the IF,  want him getting in the box, so on attack, just got the attacking CM, he much better than most of my players, so want him to create going forward. Before I got him that CM was on support with further forward. Might actually change it back. The IW gets in the box but also crosses for the IF at the back post who is ok on the air. I force that in the PPI's if their RB is vertically challenged, sometimes even swap the beanpole TM with the IF to really get an advantage on the back post

Special attention - By that I mean spot the their most creative/dangerous player (via the overload of data SI provides) and either deny him the ball by pressuring the players that most often pass it to him, or pressure the player himself, or both. Especially if any of them have low first touch/determination , I do that via the opposition instructions. Try to do it without disrupting your own defensive shape too much though.

More attacking - is still Lower Defensive line but with a midblock and one of the FB on attack. But to be honest I have hardly used it.

Park the bus- Defensive mentality, Low def line Low block, two DM's and one CM. Everyone on support apart from DM's and CD on Def, slightly lower pressing all round to remain even more compact, play out to the wings, I needed that as the AI tended to hunt in packs and force turnovers in the middle where one pass and they are in behind. Use with a lead around 85mins. And more disciplined ticked

But sometimes when all else fails (like the last match) get desperate and chuck everyone forward and press like crazy

PS

Still early days with this tactic, I have tons of possession and way above average for shots, but my guys can't hit a barn door with a banjo. Though just got someone on loan that might change things :) 

Don't forget, these are lower league players so I limit the personal player instructions as much as possible, Maybe for upper tier pro teams you can give them more to think about as they are more capable. My guys are all butchers and bakers.

I love that, when we lose the ball they will tackle back like crazy, Klopp would be proud, even the forwards, that's with everyone on balanced pressing

Oh one last thing, watch a chunk of match on full every now and again. You will see how they are playing, and where the problems are. That is not something you get from highlights

Shout out to SI, know there are some grumblings about the match engine but I am loving this years. Especially when being much less hectic and attacking with my team. Actually looks like real football. Maybe people are trying to use last years tactics with this years game like I did. My heart can't take 5-5 draws.

Edited by Gruf

On 17/01/2023 at 01:35, CJ_Randell said:

Positive

Play Out of Defence, Higher Tempo

Counter Press 

High Press, High LOE, Press More

SK-De

WB-Su CD-De CD-De WB-Su

DM-De

Mez-Su CM-Su

IW-Su                             IW-At

AF-At

Every time I start okay, then go on massive runs without a win, then end the season near the bottom with one of the worst defences in the league. 

Your intensity must be well into the red. That means your players will be gassed late in the match, which leads to lots of goals against. You may want to dial back on the high press and/or lower the tempo.