Mark Tigher PI + Tight Marking OI interactions

Hello,

I am not really sure I understand how "mark tighter" player instruction interacts with "tight marking" opposition instruction in different scenarios.

Let's consider I have a player A on my team who plays in AM position and the opponent has player B who plays in DM position:

1) I instruct "mark tighter" PI and "tight marking" OI on player B - this means that once player B enters the zone of player A, player A will be extremely tight to player B?

2) I instruct "mark tighter" PI, but nothing on "tight marking" OI - this means that my player is not going to tight mark at all player B even if he enters his zone.

3) I do not instruct "mark tighter" PI, but instruct "tight marking" through OI on player B - this means that once player B enters the zone of player A, player A will be tight to player B?

Essentially "mark tighter" PI is only active when OI is instructed on that player, otherwise, it doesn't do anything. This is my understanding so a proper clarification would be really appreciated.

Edited by kjarus1

My understanding is that if you mark player B through OI's then he will be tight marked by the nearest player anywhere on the pitch.

If you instruct Player A to tight mark through PI's then he will mark any player that comes into his zone.

I am not sure that's the case Os, but I might be wrong... There is another PI called "mark specific position" and it does what you said - whoever will enter that zone, the player will tight mark anyone there.

My English interpretation of "mark tighter" is that they will stick extremely close to them but only if "tight marking" duty is assigned to opposition's player. 

I see, then I was wrong... I must say that the description and terminology is really confusing:

Mark tighter implies that somehow there are different levels of marking - tight marking, tighter marking, the tightest marking or whatever... which is not the case. It should be called something like "mark tight natural zone of defense".

image.png.63e80399a418fd0e068fe9a23c130a70.png

"to their assigned opponent" - this seems that this instruction will only happen if I assign something in the first place. It should paraphrased to "particularly tight to any opponent entering his zone in defensive situations so..."

6 hours ago, CARRERA said:

Tighter Marking PI = Whoever joins that players zone of Defence, will be marked tightly 

Tighter Marking OI = the player will be marked tightly no matter who is responsible of marking that player

Then why wouldn’t you always have tighter marking PI on all your players ?

12 minutes ago, ThomasHK1979 said:

Then why wouldn’t you always have tighter marking PI on all your players ?

Tight Marking is a high risk style of play. Your defender will give up space to mark a player tightly which may lead to gaps between your lines. Also if an attacker manages to beat your defender, he will find a lot of space to move into. Tight marking is particular useful against player who are technical incapable of handling the ball under pressure or if you are looking for a very aggressive defensive style.

Edited by CARRERA

5 hours ago, kjarus1 said:

Mark tighter implies that somehow there are different levels of marking

You have to look at basicly every instruction as to do more or less of something compared to your team mentality setting. So its basicly tighter compared to your base setting.
At least that is how it used to work and I didnt notice any communication of whether this mechanics changed or not.

5 hours ago, kjarus1 said:

"to their assigned opponent" - this seems that this instruction will only happen if I assign something in the first place.

Its basicly in the sense of who they are defensively responsible for. You actually can't assign anything as the basic method of defence is a zonal one.

Edited by CARRERA