Tactics Advice - Isolated Lone Striker

Hi everyone

I'm having trouble with my current tactic - specifically, getting my lone striker involved in the play. As a team results have been OK - won 6 from 11 games with Burnley in the Prem (3rd season). However, we don't score all that often, and after digging into it a little in the data hub, I've noticed my striker seems incredibly isolated in matches. I've attached a screenshot of our pass map from my previous game (1-0 loss away to Leicester). This is fairly typical of what I've seen in recent matches.

My formation has been fairly stable throughout the save, but I've played around with team instructions a fair bit to find the right balance. I've gone from a possession-orientated side, to one who plays fast, counter-attacking football, and various points in between. The one constant has been my striker not really getting involved in the game or performing well.

I've attached a screenshot of my tactic. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Burnley Tactic.png

Leicester v Burnley - Burnley pass map.png

6 saat önce, pyeduke said:

Hi everyone

I'm having trouble with my current tactic - specifically, getting my lone striker involved in the play. As a team results have been OK - won 6 from 11 games with Burnley in the Prem (3rd season). However, we don't score all that often, and after digging into it a little in the data hub, I've noticed my striker seems incredibly isolated in matches. I've attached a screenshot of our pass map from my previous game (1-0 loss away to Leicester). This is fairly typical of what I've seen in recent matches.

My formation has been fairly stable throughout the save, but I've played around with team instructions a fair bit to find the right balance. I've gone from a possession-orientated side, to one who plays fast, counter-attacking football, and various points in between. The one constant has been my striker not really getting involved in the game or performing well.

I've attached a screenshot of my tactic. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Burnley Tactic.png

Leicester v Burnley - Burnley pass map.png

If Endrick is the focus, then the rest of the roles should be chosen in such a way that he has enough supply and support all over the pitch. This will make sure he has time and space most of the time to put the ball into the back of the net.

However, first, you need to fix a crucial problem: 4-2-3-1 is a top-heavy formation which requires two players in the middle of the park covering the central channel and keeping the pressure on the opposition by being deeper passing options thus creating depth centrally. Here CMA is busting his guts to get forward. DLPS will also move to where the ball is though a bit restricted as per his PIs. Two wing-backs are getting forward. In short, this system lacks depth and can easily be overrun, unfortunately. It needs a secure double pivot or you can move both of the players into the DM strata and be a bit more aggressive with your roles while still defending the centre properly. 

Then, we can talk about other possible tweaks.

Edited by frukox

3 hours ago, frukox said:

If Endrick is the focus, then the rest of the roles should be chosen in such a way that he has enough supply and support all over the pitch. This will make sure he has time and space most of the time to put the ball into the back of the net.

However, first, you need to fix a crucial problem: 4-2-3-1 is a top-heavy formation which requires two players in the middle of the park covering the central channel and keeping the pressure on the opposition by being deeper passing options thus creating depth centrally. Here CMA is busting his guts to get forward. DLPS will also move to where the ball is though a bit restricted as per his PIs. Two wing-backs are getting forward. In short, this system lacks depth and can easily be overrun, unfortunately. It needs a secure double pivot or you can move both of the players into the DM strata and be a bit more aggressive with your roles while still defending the centre properly. 

Then, we can talk about other possible tweaks.

Thanks for the advice. Initially I had the CM as a B2B midfielder, but changed to CM(a) because the role was so effective last year and I thought he’d give more support in the final third and get Endrick involved. I had the DLP on defend duty to begin with as well, but since changing him to support he’s been my best player, so I’d be reluctant to alter that. Would dropping the CM to support rather than attack be sufficient do you think?

I might also try changing the WB to FB - my two full backs routinely get the worst average ratings across the whole team, especially my right backs. 

2 saat önce, pyeduke said:

Thanks for the advice. Initially I had the CM as a B2B midfielder, but changed to CM(a) because the role was so effective last year and I thought he’d give more support in the final third and get Endrick involved. I had the DLP on defend duty to begin with as well, but since changing him to support he’s been my best player, so I’d be reluctant to alter that. Would dropping the CM to support rather than attack be sufficient do you think?

I might also try changing the WB to FB - my two full backs routinely get the worst average ratings across the whole team, especially my right backs. 

Trying those might be useful but only you can know what you want. You're the coach, after all:)

You are highlighting one of my main struggles with FM23. I have used an AF role in that spot with many players and seen them score 5+ goals in friendlies, score a pair of goals in the league, and then go 10+ matches without scoring. I can't really tell if the AF struggles I witness are down to the players in that role or the overall tactic. The xG is fairly low for anyone I play there, which leads me to believe it's the tactic, but when the players are all logging 6.2-6.4 ratings in that spot, I feel like bad player form might also be a factor.

A lot of people I see playing this game are now using 4-2-4 tactics to help combat putting all their eggs in the lone striker 4-2-3-1 basket. Having one AF get a 6.2 won't kill you as much in a 4-2-4 since the other striker can pick up the slack. Another solution is to pull back on your lone striker and give him a DLF, TM(s), or F9 role. I'm not a big fan of that in a 4-2-3-1 unless I have monster goalscoring threats on the wings or at AMC. The upside to doing this, though, is that your striker will actually have more than a handful of touches in the match, which can help prevent some catastrophic match ratings and descents into poor form.

I'm going to use CF(a) for a bit and see how it does. If that fails then I'll either switch formations or look to sign a target man to facilitate my AML/AMC/AMR. I feel like the better option in this match engine is to use a 4-2-4, but I'd rather remain somewhat faithful to the formations I see most often in real life.

I've played most of the season and had a bit of an upturn in form. The main thing that made a difference seemed to be going to a more direct, high-tempo system. My AF does particularly well latching on to through balls down the middle, which I know is something that's been highlighted in the ME. Don't get me wrong, he isn't really getting involved in build-up play, but at least he's scoring more regularly and getting better ratings as a result.

I tend to finish games with lower possession than my opponent but with a greater XG. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.