FM23 - What are your findings for successful tactics/styles?

After almost a week of the full game being out. What have you found are the most successful tactics and styles?

I've been running a 433 with IFs. Fairly pressing tactic but not too high of a defensive line. Short passing focused on playing down both wings. Sitting 8th in the prem with Crystal Palace so not too bad at all. Getting destroyed against the top 7. Tried a low block 442 but still lose by 3 goals.

Would be good to hear your takes.

I would say having played the game a little bit, for me the game has gotten harder. I think the days of positive and above mentality, press like mad, always using 433/4141 are gone. And thats not a bad thing.

I think away games have become noticably harder, far too much so in my opinion. Its a struggle to get any kind of result out of an away game, shouldnt be like that.

I think generally in my experience, its far better to press the wide men and "trap inside" forcing them into the middle of the pitch, than it is trying to send them out wide, but I wish they would get rid of terms like "trap inside" and "trap outside", they are ridiculous and shouldnt be in the game. Force inside or force wide would be so much simpler and not sound absolutely stupid in the process.

Inside forwards have improved by having more dribbling ability I would say, thats good.

Id also say the Raumdeuter position is far more effective now, but when defending he comes miles too deep, i dont know why that would be the case.

Overall, its a solid 7/10 but no improvement on FM22.

57 minutes ago, bredbin said:

After almost a week of the full game being out. What have you found are the most successful tactics and styles?

I've been running a 433 with IFs. Fairly pressing tactic but not too high of a defensive line. Short passing focused on playing down both wings. Sitting 8th in the prem with Crystal Palace so not too bad at all. Getting destroyed against the top 7. Tried a low block 442 but still lose by 3 goals.

Would be good to hear your takes.

thats a very good tactic, you just need improvement on your squad in transfer market.

For the last few years I've never switched from a positive mentality and would start with a tweaked fluid counter before making more gegenpress as I got more successful. 

This year, I've went with a balanced possession based system and even unticked counter press. I definitely feel that there are more options this year.

57 minutes ago, VeniVV said:

Make sure you press. Low blocks working as an optimal tactic are a myth. 

That's the second thread you posted this on. Do you have actual evidence to back up your bold statement? Have you actually tried any lowblock or midblock tactics to make such a conclusion? Or are you just talking out of a place where the sun don't shine? 

I started off with my tried and tested 4-2-4 that served me so well near the end of my 15 year career in FM21. Got some good success winning both domestic cups and finishing 4th in the league in the first season but was absolutely embarrassed in the Champions League group stages in the second season. 

I changed it up then to the out-of-the-box trio of (433DM) control possession as standrd, with gegen when struggling and park the bus when absolutely needing to hold. Reasonable success but so often had to go gegen to get anything. I don't want to have to go gegen all the time.

So last night I was watching some RDF stuff on Youtube and saw one of his videos about an effective 4-2-3-1 mid-block and I'm really enjoying it. It's plugged in quite nicely with my Villa team though I am going to try out one tweak, removing 'get stuck in' as games tend to go one of two ways: we either dominate with no issues, or we don't and pick up >6 yellow cards.

One thing I believe for certain this year is that pressing forwards are essential.

9 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

That's the second thread you posted this on. Do you have actual evidence to back up your bold statement? Have you actually tried any lowblock or midblock tactics to make such a conclusion? Or are you just talking out of a place where the sun don't shine? 

This is you in your Mourinho thread:

"Seemingly 9/10 tactics in the tactics sharing forum are some kind of Gegenpress-style tactic. In the last few versions of the game it is no secret that high pressing, high-intensity, "balls to the wall" attacking football started to seem like the only way to play. "

I would be more than happy to perhaps to a testing league with low, mid block and high press tactics. My feeling is that the high press will overperform the latter. Supplemented by this video: 

I do not think the recharacterization of the match engine is as pronounced from FM22 to FM23 in the pressing department and its equation to win %. I might be wrong, though. 

Edited by VeniVV

14 minutes ago, VeniVV said:

This is you in your Mourinho thread:

"Seemingly 9/10 tactics in the tactics sharing forum are some kind of Gegenpress-style tactic. In the last few versions of the game it is no secret that high pressing, high-intensity, "balls to the wall" attacking football started to seem like the only way to play. "

I would be more than happy to perhaps to a testing league with low, mid block and high press tactics. My feeling is that the high press will overperform the latter. Supplemented by this video: 

I do not think the recharacterization of the match engine is as pronounced from FM22 to FM23 in the pressing department and its equation to win %. I might be wrong, though. 

I think you miss my point. I am saying in that thread that it "seems" like the only way to play but it's not. You can be very successful by not using high pressing style. In fact I'm testing a 4-2-3-1 right now that's doing rather well and I don't have any extreme geggenpress instructions. You can read about it here.

I have now moved into my 2nd season as Palace. Finished 8th in the 1st season with high pressure attacking tactic. I have now changed to a 4-2-4 but on a mid block with cautious mentality and I'm 2nd in February. The defence is much more solid in this setup which makes sense with the instructions I have given. Feels nice for the match engine to match the tactics, at least for me anyway!

Edited by bredbin

12 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

I think you miss my point. I am saying in that thread that it "seems" like the only way to play but it's not. You can be very successful by not using high pressing style. In fact I'm testing a 4-2-3-1 right now that's doing rather well and I don't have any extreme geggenpress instructions. You can read about it here.

This is interesting. Thanks for this. I notice quite a few goals conceded. Where are they coming from?

Here's what I'm trialing. I'd be keen to know where I can improve as it seems that you enjoy the defence side of the game like I do:

d81f443c453729901721ff07d5833e98.png

Edit: Both goals they scored from goals in behind. I'm not sure what I can do to correct this. I'd just like clean sheets, really. 

359abf1b73c34ce05d84f3f723044fba.jpg

Edited by VeniVV