1000-goal push?

GreyedOutMan

OK so I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this experience but I managed to get Erling Haaland at Arsenal in what turned out to be my longest FM save this year (it was intended to be the beta save but Haaland is too fun)...

For many years I've tried to find that striker who got the magic 1,000 goals. Haaland had 947 Arsenal goals at the start of this season and it looks like he will probably beat it this year. It feels like a momentous moment in my FM career!

This is him at the moment, and I'll post a few updates through this season here, but I will also probably be streaming on Twitch (same username). I'm excited!

Edited by GreyedOutMan

On 23/09/2022 at 06:50, GreyedOutMan said:

What do you want to see?

I guess things like:

* World Cup/European Championship winners
* European Competition winners 
* League winners (up to you if you’ve got a lot) 
* Players who have got close to being Haaland’s peers 
* Who is left in the game other than Haaland?

Not to many things then :D

I’ll be happy with anything choose to share.

Five goals to go and he gets a rare longer-term injury. It's not his longest ever, but he hasn't been out for longer than six weeks in his entire career

This is his career history, although obviously these goals are the league ones only. His biography is basically just a list of awards and trophies! He has won the Golden Boot every single full year he has been at the club. Meanwhile, only Mbappe and Vlahovic have won the Ballon D'Or since he arrived at the club, although he has won the Golden Ball every single calendar year he has been at the club.

It's safe to say his signing has ushered in the greatest period in Arsenal's history with, to date, four Champions League trophies, seven league titles including three in a row on two separate occasions (something Arsenal haven't managed since the 30s), a club world cup, four FA Cups, five Carabao Cups, six community shields and two Super Cups. My Overall Best XI has some familiar names and some amazing newgens. Highlights being Ian Goodman, who was like a loyal Cashley, Batista Bardini, who might as well be the regen of Maldini, and Luiz Fabiano, who is still only 25 but surely the finest Brazilian centre back of all time! And yes I had Bellingham, but he was underwhelming and I made a £60m loss on him!

Only Liverpool and Man Utd have won the title other than Arsenal since the start of the game, with City falling away rapidly.

EDT: Oh, and I'm not going to post the evidence of all his goals just yet, i'll do that when he retires, but since he has been at Arsenal, his total goals each season have been: 21 (half season), 62, 70, 76, 40, 57, 52, 69, 60, 85, 95, 79, 68, 52, 61, 48 (half season so far). You can see why this, which was intended as a BETA save, has become my most played save of the cycle!

Edited by GreyedOutMan

First time I've managed this in England on FM! And in the season that we started to transition away from Haaland (although he is still in the first eleven, there is now a second striker ready to take over from him, who is often playing with him in a 2, and Haaland had an injury for the last couple of months, meaning he was denied another 50 goal season!).

This is Arsenal's 22nd league title, drawing us level with Liverpool...four behind United, but sadly I think i'll struggle to win 4 more titles before FM23!

image.png.58578fcd631979920e71bb16d288f1e4.png

Edited by GreyedOutMan

A sad, sad day.

image.png.2b4a4979b70455102c48aa223d05f7ef.png

He ends with 1,096 goals for Arsenal from 886 games. Not a bad return on the best £102m I have ever spent on FM!

2022/23 - 21 goals (21) - he signed in January
2023/24 - 62 goals (83)
2024/25 - 70 goals (153) - his best ever league season with 58 despite missing seven games!
2025/26 - 76 goals (229) - so beating Henry's record in just THREE AND A HALF YEARS!!!
2026/27 - 40 goals (269) - poor season!
2027/28 - 57 goals (326)
2028/29 - 52 goals (378)
2029/30 - 69 goals (447) - that's more like it, Erling!
2030/31 - 60 goals (507)
2031/32 - 85 goals (592) - his best season - so far!
2032/33 - 95 goals (687) - his best season ever in his tenth full season for us. Never quite managed 100 in a season, only starting 30 league games this year!
2033/34 - 79 goals (766) - although interestingly he got more goals in the league this year.
2034/35 - 68 goals (834)
2035/36 - 52 goals (886) - and his average rating dips below 8, never to return
2036/37 - 61 goals (947) - still not exactly a bad player!!!
2037/38 - 65 goals (1,012) - he breaks the magic 4 figures, what an amazing achievement
2038/39 - 41 goals (1,053) - scores under 50 in a full season for only the second time.
2039/40 - 43 goals (1,096) - injury prevents him reaching 1,100 and forces him to retire despite my best efforts. What a career!

The daft thing is he would be perfectly capable of playing at an elite level for at least another couple of seasons...

Edited by GreyedOutMan

This is going to change the way I play FM. For years I've enjoyed focussing mainly on player stories. This was the culmination of that. But since there's no way anyone is ever going to get as many as Erling did ever again, I don't see much point focussing on it so much any more. I'll still track the players I have who score 100+ goals,  but I won't be as invested in it any more. He has been so fun to manage, and a big part of why this save is one of my most enjoyable ever. It was intended to be a beta save. I'm now in 2040 and probably have at least one maybe two or even three seasons to go!