How is a player given ratings for different attributes and what makes a certain player have a 20 attribute in a category?

Hey guys, this discussion is basically to ask how you guys calculate the attributes for any football player across the world. And why a certain player may have less in a specific attribute than somebody else. 

Let's take dribbling for example. How is this attribute calculated? Is it done with data? Successful dribbles? Is there a formula used to give ratings in different attributes?

The players with 20 in dribbling are Neymar and Messi. How did they achieve this rating from SI? Is it based on their technique ,and if so, what about their technique with dribbling that allows them to have this rating? Is their rating based of stats such as successful dribbles? Is there any formula or research done before giving them this rating?

For example, let's say a random player in the Premier League wanted to achieve the same rating and was at 15. What would he need to show in games to achieve the same rating of 20, that he probably wouldn't be showing at 15?

Player attributes are attributed solely by the club researchers based on strict  guidelines laid down by SI, taking into account the players CA, PA, position and attribute weighting.  There will be nobody apart from the Head Researchers and the SI coders who can answer this question with any accuracy.

Thanks a bunch FrazT. I guess I'll just have to watch guys who have 20 in each attribute than try to find why they've been given the rating since there's no clear answer unless I speak to a head researcher. What is a player's CA and PA by the way? And does a player position mean certain attributes are lowered or can they still be high? E.g if you are a forward can you not have high tackling for example. If you can't answer all these questions it's no problem, I understand you don't have all the info, just putting it out there 👍

I don't think that there is a vehicle that will give you direct access to the developers or HRs to ask specific questions as , with the numbers of active users for the game, this would not really be practical.  I am also not sure how much information the developers or HRs will reveal to the user base as some of this may well be classified, so you may have to draw your own conclusions.  There will probably be a number of threads in the Tactics forum written by experienced users that will throw some light on your questions.

CA ( Current Ability ) is a numerical value from 1-200 allocated at the start of the game and is the researcher's opinion of the current ability of the player.  The attributes that you see on the player's screen make up the CA figure with those attributes that are important for a players role having a higher weighting that attributes that are not critical for his role- like tackling as you mention above . There are also a number of hidden mental attributes that contribute to the CA, thereby making the overall calculation pretty complex.

PA ( Potential Ability ) is a numerical value also from 1-200 allocated by the researchers at the start of a new save and will normally be a higher value that the CA meaning that the player has the option to improve his CA till it reaches the PA value and from there he cannot improve.  The PA is a fixed ceiling and cannot be increased once the game has started.  Players ability to improve will depend on age, experience, game time, training and coaching and the attributes of the coaching staff.

CA and PA are not shown  numerically in the game but can be accessed using an editor.  In the game these are expressed by the star system which is best to be used a a guide only as it can be unreliable depending on who gives the report.

Each researcher can speak to their own ratings to an extent. Especially for historical ratings they've done, at least in an informal manner. I'm always quite open with my own but it's very subjective and I've never really been in the territory of handing out 20s. 

Since it often invites more trouble than it's worth fewer and fewer researchers discuss as much publicly. 

That being said we are under NDAs so there are limitations. But the general jist is ratings are our instincts and feelings on a player with a number of sanity checks along the way from people happy to question us on them. I think to answer your question in a way perhaps as best as can be done. If I want to give a player high or low ratings that stand out - I have to be prepared to defend it to various people. 

If someone tried to throw Messi in at a 10 technique next year, they'd have to try and justify it.