[FM22] Reviving Bolton - Fabrice Muamba, the only man for the job

DavidBeckham

On 31/05/2022 at 23:36, SixPointer said:

Be influx of players! Good solid business. I like a few of the loan players as well think that’s a must to supplement you, until the cash flows in after your first bid at survival. 

Cheers mate! I'm so thankful for Premier League's loan rules, there's no way we would be able to put together a squad capable of competing in the Premier League without those 9 loanees! 

August - November 2023

0bebc430885e1afa84270644de75634e.jpg

Fabrice's boys have fought so bravely in the Premier League so far!

f767a4b9fc7287a43f9ac2c6e2796f5a.png

The boys have competed so capably in the top flight, losing only twice in our opening twelve games. Our best performance came away at Man City where we had a hell of a ride in a topsy-turvy 3-2 win! Chelsea's front 3 of Mbappe, Lewandowski and Havertz :eek: were absolutely unstoppable at the University of Bolton Stadium as we ended up on the wrong end of a 1-4 defeat. 

3e24782b7c740945a909bd86d6cfe232.png

Fabrice's boys are absolutely flying in the table right now but we all know this wouldn't last as luck was on our side for a couple of our games, and we have been really lucky with injuries so far. We will enjoy the good times while they last!

Carabao Cup

fa4fb367259c383834b0618906286aea.png

Our biggest win of the season came incredibly against Newcastle in the Carabao Cup, where our second stringers made Fabrice doubt his judgement a little by dismantling the Magpies at their home ground in an unbelievable 7-0 win. We were in seventh heaven! A tough Everton side awaits us in the quarters..

Top Player

da250e63a4865abd101b8b7c8e6c840f.jpg

The solid performances of George Edmundson at center-back meant we were able to compete in most Premier League games so far. He even contributed at the attacking end as our main set-piece threat and bagged 2 crucial goals thus far. We are all praying that he stays fit for the entire season as we cannot afford to lose our defensive lynchpin. The hard work continues!

On 02/06/2022 at 18:09, karanhsingh said:

Looks like a decent set of signings put together to be competitive in the EPL.

10 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Brilliant - what a start!

Cheers mate! The signings have adapted well really quickly and we have also been very lucky with injuries so far!

22 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Another 16 points and your safe. Easy work 👌🏻

That's definitely our 1st target! It's one step at a time and we'll see where it takes us! ;)

7 hours ago, Steve Bruce Cabbage said:

Unreal start to life in the premier league! Making it look easy. 

We are all really surprised by the start and the boys are enjoying every minute of it! Long may it continue!

Edited by DavidBeckham

Caught up with this one and…wow, meteoric rise! Funny having spent £100k one year (massive profit) and tens of millions the next, both with lots of turnover and both with lots of success.

You think you can keep up a European challenge? Looking fantastic so far!

12 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Caught up with this one and…wow, meteoric rise! Funny having spent £100k one year (massive profit) and tens of millions the next, both with lots of turnover and both with lots of success.

You think you can keep up a European challenge? Looking fantastic so far!

586bacaa1eb2c62168508a83c8842d2f.png

Cheers mate! The spending is a must though if we want to have any chance of staying in the league. We've slid down the table after the fixtures pileup in December. To be honest, I don't think we will be able to secure the European spot as teams start to figure us out!

2 hours ago, DavidBeckham said:

586bacaa1eb2c62168508a83c8842d2f.png

Cheers mate! The spending is a must though if we want to have any chance of staying in the league. We've slid down the table after the fixtures pileup in December. To be honest, I don't think we will be able to secure the European spot as teams start to figure us out!

Learned the hard way that the spending was vital when my Portsmouth side barely escaped relegation after spending only £5m.  It was very, very close.

Got to say though that survival is the key.  Being out of the relegation fight is the goal in that first season.  Anything else is just bonus material, and you're not out of the running for Europe by any stretch!

1 hour ago, 13th Man said:

Learned the hard way that the spending was vital when my Portsmouth side barely escaped relegation after spending only £5m.  It was very, very close.

Got to say though that survival is the key.  Being out of the relegation fight is the goal in that first season.  Anything else is just bonus material, and you're not out of the running for Europe by any stretch!

Certainly mate! We took the risk and now need to survive badly as we need that Premier League cash. I believe we are nearly there! Europe will be a bonus! 

December 2023 - February 2024

73a3a567f8a188c18146e2ace394a34b.jpg

“My dream is to one day manage, to be manager of Bolton and take them back to Tottenham, where I had my accident. Wow, that would be written in the stars." It wasn't exactly at White Hart Lane, but Fabrice has fulfilled his dream..

e1dd8692fbc0cfe38e65378ef66e3c8e.png

Fabrice achieved his aim of managing his very own Bolton side at Tottenham's home ground on the 1st day of 2024, but the honeymoon period is over. Results have been inconsistent and the boys have found goals hard to come by, winning 6, drawing 3 and losing 6 in a very busy three-month period. 

99647377b94f4193e3ae779fe0fa54f6.png

We have slipped down to 7th in the table, and the boys will need to pick up their form if we want European football at the University of Bolton Stadium next campaign. On a brighter note, I think we have secured Premier League football for another season \o/

Carabao Cup

e93dd1fa7c2d81b88dddf2fa9b70471d.png

We had a decent cup run in the Carabao Cup, eliminating the likes of Newcastle and Everton in our run to the semis, where our second stringers fell short against fellow Premier League outfit Brentford. 

FA Cup

2257f94e4efd0c8237ea5705789b9367.png

The FA Cup dream continues, as we face a tough Premier League side in Leicester early next month in the fifth round. We shall see if our second stringers can compete against the Foxes, but Fabrice isn't too optimistic as we have struggled against lower league teams in Luton and Wycombe thus far. 

January Signings

302aaef013d4c3c519c9c867812debb8.jpg

There were no standout performers to highlight in our tough run of results, but we made 2 January signings to strengthen our squad. Felix Beijmo was brought in for 2.2 million pounds from Bundesliga 2 outfit SpVgg Greuther Fürth, who replaces the outgoing Luke Woolfenden as our back-up right-back. We signed Luke in a hurry in the summer without scouting him enough, only to realise he's too rash and mentally weak to compete in the Premier League. Fabrice was happy to let Norwich have him for 5 million pounds.

9d217a4ca4d3f2a2c3000a5d1920edab.jpgWe all know Fabrice loves left-footed right wingers and Benjamin Garre was brought in on loan to bolster our attacking options as we have struggled for goals in our recent games. The Argentinian will compete with Niclas Eliasson and Vaclav Cerny for the game time in the right-wing spot. 

It was always going to be tough to keep up that early season form.  Still seem to be beating the midtable and below clubs, and while January was tough, it still looks like solid form overall.

9 hours ago, 13th Man said:

It was always going to be tough to keep up that early season form.  Still seem to be beating the midtable and below clubs, and while January was tough, it still looks like solid form overall.

I think the effect of clubs figuring promoted sides out is more significant on this version of the game! Our form has dropped steadily since the start of the campaign and we are slowly but surely out of European spots!

8 hours ago, Steve Bruce Cabbage said:

A solid few months for a new Prem team, and some solid January signings to help with the European push! 

Cheers mate! Unfortunately, they haven't been able to arrest the bad form!

Season Review 2023/24

b264aa3aa80c7440b0dda7eb05dd15d9.png

Fabrice guided Bolton to a 9th-place finish in our 1st season back in big time. The goals really dried up in the second half of the season as we finished on 54 points, scoring just 38 goals in as many games. We will certainly need to find more goals from the transfer market in the summer if we want to progress up the league. 

FA Cup

a24fe653458bce29941375e5746c25b5.png

Leicester proved too strong for our second stringers as we suffered a 0-2 home defeat in the fifth round of the FA Cup.

Carabao Cup

e93dd1fa7c2d81b88dddf2fa9b70471d.png

We were one step away from the final but it was still a fun run in the Carabao Cup. The biggest win of the season also happened in the same competition, with our second stringers putting up an excellent display to eliminate Newcastle early in the competition.

Best 11

26e1507b1a1e6d1592217c5d5a2b2a37.jpg

The heroes who helped us survive our 1st season back in the Premier League :**)

22e425490a60422cd91d9cb334102128.jpg

Looking forward to the summer! ;)

Edited by DavidBeckham

Midtable might actually be a very good place to be.  If you'd gotten into Europe and you'd have to deal with fixture congestion in ways the squad might not quite be ready for!  9th is a very respectable place to be in your first year in the PL.

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, DavidBeckham said:

My MacBook died on me after 5 years, and I'm unable to retrieve the save file anywhere. Gutted that I've to end this thread here :(

Was a good journey while it lasted mate!

New save now?