[FM22] The Fourth Glass, Vol. III: Straight Outta Sagarejo

ManUtd1

10 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Ah. Unfortunate but you're definitely getting there. 

Yeah, that one hurt. We simply weren't at the races in the 1st leg, undone for the 2nd goal by a mental mistake from a 19 year old centerback playing a colossally stupid pass. Frustrating, but those are the breaks.

Next year will be our year!

spacer.png

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't sleep. 

In the aftermath of the Dortmund tie, all I can do is re-live various moments, wondering, what if... Could an adjustment to our back 3 stabilize things in these "big" European matches?

Mat isn't helping. He spent the night shoving bread down his pants, pretending he was a toaster.

As one does.

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

Anything but making the Libero less adventurous ;)

Never!

As much as I hate to do it, I've been tinkering with the WCBs -- I love them dearly, but there is no question that they leave us exposed to a direct counterattack when the ball-sided WCB and libero are high up the pitch while in possession.  This isn't a constant problem, but we are often playing on the edge here, even if we aren't conceding.  Naturally, better teams and players will exploit us more often in this regard.

With a BPD on defend duty, the flanking CBs are still "ball-playing" (obviously), but: (1) the ball-sided BPD is about ~10-15 yards deeper than the WCB would have been; and (2) both BPDs sit more centrally.  

giphy.gif

Bottom line, we're much more stable in transition with BPDs.  The WCBs are far sexier in possession than BPDs, of course -- there isn't any comparison.  But there's no question that defensive stability won't be the hallmark of a team that: (1) has an IWB on attack duty and a CWB (support) on the flanks; (2) a hyper-aggressive libero flanked by 2 WCBs; (3) that plays with a default attacking mentality and high lines, often utilizing a "very attacking" mentality and "much higher" lines for passages of play.

(As an aside, merely dropping the lines doesn't fix the problem, since this is a function of how we respond to verticality in transition from attack to defense in the moments immediately after we lose the ball.  Similarly, ticking "regroup" instead of "counterpress" doesn't solve the problem, even if it makes us more stable defensively from a broader perspective.) 

So, I have 2 thoughts. 

First, our centerbacks are arguably the weakest players in the squad right now, comparatively speaking.  Upgrading there (or allowing the current players to fully develop) should give us some stability against better sides in European play. 

Second, if that doesn't help, we may simply want to utilize BPDs in bigger matches and/or away in Europe.  A tactical tweak to be used situationally, instead of a revolution:

29e5d6ce834f0d92487ab1af31c8d19e.png 22873bc2cc7df54c72a581cae3f5ece0.png

Edited by ManUtd1

14 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

I agree with your analysis, i think WCBs aren't meant to be used with a libero going up as well. BPD or CB should work a lot better. 

Also lets not forget you have a Mez on attack as well :lol:

I'd have 2 mezzs on attack if I could!  But without the BWM it all goes to ****...

I definitely agree -- sticking a libero between 2 WCBs doesn't seem to make any sense...

...but that's what makes it so much fun...

giphy.gif

April/May 2040.

Our solid run of form continues, fueled by the bitter taste of failure. 

And fresh Spanish grapefruit, flown in daily from the club's private plantation in Murcia.  (Technically, it's owned by our Qatari owner's holding company, Ice Station Zebra Associates.)

Suffice to say that the cannon fodder that passes for our domestic "competition" will continue to be beaten senseless until morale improves.

e5a383eaa48dba8208ed87de2767b001.jpg 78ac1be6c3d173eaf7605c4b9ca09edd.png

May 2040 - European Review.

The words make me physically ill.  "Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool won the Champions League."

Again.

Rui Patricio's Roma could have been heroes.  Instead they're losers.  And I hate them for it.

In the Europa League, like a latter-day-Sevilla, Eddie Howe's Athletic reached their third straight Europa League final, winning it for the 2nd time -- defeating Ruben Amorim's Leicester City.

Mersad Selimbegovic's Monchengladbach -- say that 10x, fast -- won the Europa Conference League with a 4-3 (aet) win over Sebastian Dailly's Marseille.

In the active leagues: Thomas Tuchel's Manchester United took home the Premier League title; Julian Nagelsmann's Bayern reasserted their dominance over the Bundesliga; Gerardo Seaone's Atletico secured the La Liga title despite losing away to the Basques on the final matchday, when Vincent Kompany's Barcelona was held to a draw at the Camp Nou by Dimitri Payet's Real Zaragoza; Diego Simeone's Inter Milan won their 5th Serie A title in 6 years; and, finally, John Aloisi's Lyon won their first title since 2028/29, causing local business leaders to give John's pet koala, Benny, the key to the city.

923111ccd1a7e7f46c0d10f01723a19a.png a3980fbd67bca6b22e526549f9c031c7.png 5786d1ba225cf43a8c7240df6a5c732c.png

5871201e6ac70b880d928c749b986084.png cc2e0f8beca96847dbcd00e661a70111.png bfd1d01149e27be1376937eba2038422.png

0bb6902814b9e2b047f52e541cac4c0c.png fc8b5242d98165011b6e75b1d8ebb07a.png 2b9ee15fe2471374911390e7b9fa0350.png

d1c08616ebb3b3b859fc19a8fa520bf8.png e6eb6bcbef522b21b87963d797fa0ac0.png 4e82f597b256ac825fd5bcb1ac7d4e44.png d26a57b0ff0434c77c7e2582030a827f.png 57ad58ec2f5436c7802e5742a1c0a2d5.png

June 2040 - International Friendlies.

The build-up to our June friendlies is relatively straightforward.  The lads all know what is expected of them.

But no one listens when I tell them at the team meeting that, under no circumstances are they to accept food from Mat.  The next morning, much to my chagrin, I come down to breakfast only to find that they're all eating toast he prepared. 

And buttered. 

Personally.

And just you wait, I'm the one they'll come complain to when they get sick later.

Should've listened to Rezo, lads.

7837990241b15a190e98aba35942c4ca.jpg c10d87f502543042d538a48d9f66ac27.jpg

June 2040 - Coefficients Update.

The slow, steady rise to the top continues.  Gareji rise to 13th in the club coefficients table, with the Erovnuli Liga hitting 20th.

This should be enough (in theory) to secure a 2nd seed for the Group Stage draw.  We're just shy of having a top spot by default, but need to keep the nation coefficient rising.  Dinamo Tbilisi's run to the Europa Conference League quarterfinals is exactly the kind of support we need from our domestic rivals.

e96be82f1d650a414265500517019846.png 6cabecedf6d8190a45d2c5cb01591cd6.png

2729fc45451115436d19aa3c0405bde5.png 3d6db2af4356822d4438ba3a9a4e59ec.png 29cb2a27040640b3859a415943d8a7e4.png c9683b722a5d6533460058d52f4913e8.png

It seems that Fabrika is grading on a curve again.

A below average class, with one "great" goalkeeping prospect, two "fine" forwards, 1 promising centerback, and 1 promising wide midfielder.

"Someone is telling porkies, Mat."

"At least the Lions are looking indominable again, Boss.  Soaring, one might even say.  Maybe if we put them on the pitch with the lads, that would give some additional motivation."

"First of all, lions don't "soar."  Second, we're not housing actual lions on the training grounds, Mat.  We've discussed this."

"Actually, Boss, that's not quite right.  If you use a trebuchet, lions can soar like the angels.  Simple physics, that.  And, you were quite clear in saying you didn't want to discuss my idea for free-roaming lions as a way to keep the lads on their toes.  So I think it's a discussion we still need to have."

e257de433cc7234fa2864e320c406fdc.png

9ae0976f39dd27ba57f0e307259778f7.png

Edited by ManUtd1

July 2040 - Confirmed Future Transfers.

At the halfway point of the campaign, we're sitting on a remarkable +91 goal difference -- 99 scored, 8 conceded.  We cannot keep up this pace...can we?

Meanwhile, always on the hunt for bargains, Mat has continued to scour the globe while I sleep.  In search of promising talent that we can snap up in our quest to destroy UEFA, the Radish Eaters and...

...I need to start keeping an enemies list.  Mat told me to, but I brushed him off, confident that I could keep track of everyone that has earned a karmic reckoning.  But, as I pace through the house in the early morning light, I struggle to keep them all straight.  I think I hate Roma, but I can't remember why...

Lost in thought, I find myself staring at my father's painting.

That's strange.  I'd never noticed the man standing amongst the trees in the middle distance before...

My reverie is broken when Mat cries out in joy from the office -- Taylor is confirmed.  A brilliant young Gibraltarian (is that even a word?) midfielder, who already has earned 2 U21 caps at the age of 15.  A shining young star, who I see playing deeper...the lad is a natural libero, or my name isn't Rezo Gorlami.  Mat points out that practically any footballer savvy enough to tie his shoes can get capped for Gibraltar, but he's just in one of his darker moods.  He knows young Taylor is a potential star.  He won't join until January 2043, but his signing is a big deal -- and a steal at $110k, all-in.

Sékou Kiendrébéogo is another brilliant young player that we have to wait for, for his unveiling.  A 16 year-old Burkinabe midfielder, already in their U23s.  A steal at $80k.

Already with our U19s, we have Ardian Zejnullahu, a 16 year-old Kosovar U21 international who looks more than ready to play as an inverted wingback, even if he's as likely to stomp on your **** as he is to kick the ball.  Baye Diop is another early arrival -- a 16 year-old Senegalese U21 international with a bit of pace about him, who can play on either flank but will primarily attack from the left side in our tactics.

Only time will tell if any of them have the ability to reach our squad.  But the price was right as to all 4, *****.  And they all are more than ready to stick a fork in UEFA's eye.  For reasons.

e9ddd50c1eec99835b6ca5f8e66eac7f.png 519126e68eb0a013c9dbe34f83484434.png a5699c88dfb7d64b00aa8eb46e1fe9b9.png 142152352711a79bf15d1a310f04ba3c.png

e4b09f4f41692b591a0df025c14c48af.png

19ca1e04920ac03f46d03d3304ddea96.jpg a913d767cf5f2707d2ddf1a693cfd9c2.png

21 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

I love how your player comparison is going into 20 players :lol:

How do you manage all these kids.. I would go insane

I have a color-coded Excel spreadsheet, where the font and background colors each have meaning. It's a bit crazy...I was going through it last night to update it with these signings and it's a bit "A Beautiful Mind."

46230016_giphy(1).gif.db825159e76119103e1f27cb4d7d6b56.gif

Edited by ManUtd1

August 2040.

Ahead of the European campaign, we find another gear domestically.  We are rampant.  Relentless.

Ready.

We are a 2nd seed this year, and hope that by the grace of urCristiano's glistening abs we are given a favorable draw.  Our fingers are crossed for Group B (to face the Portuguese champions, Guimaraes) but instead find ourselves paired with Roberto Martinez's Liverpool in Group C.

**** my life.

It gets better, though, with Omar Daf's Oostende and FC Kobenhavn as the 3rd and 4th seeds.  Barring a monumental **** up, we are looking good value to advance.

901b389819a3a035678c6231230e757f.png

4bafaac98931a1d56a19ca956f8de42c.jpg e3f2dc743463eabbb1c49d283404afe4.png

September 2040.

The first night back in Europe.  There isn't anything like it, when the first notes of the anthem begin to reverberate around the stadium.

Champions League football.  My drug of choice.  Better than a drug in that the highs are incomparable.  The lows...?  Best not talk about those.

As the clock winds down towards kickoff, it is thus strange to not see Mat anywhere.  Not in the locker room.  Not helping with the warm-up, or the pre-match talk.  Not standing with me on the side of the pitch during the match -- a comprehensive 4-1 drubbing of Omar Daf's Oostende.

It's only when I get back home, long past midnight, that I find him standing in the hallway, transfixed.  Staring at my father's painting.  Mumbling incoherently about a "Project Mayhem."  Strange behavior, that.  But perhaps not strange for Mat, who has his days of...instability, shall we say.

With a promise to recap the match (and act out the key moments) I pull him away from the painting.  Which...that's odd.  The man in the painting, standing in the trees?  He bears a strong resemblance to Mat if you squint a bit.

And he's holding a knife.  

9318d9e7a4e1a7fb46e9383f75497b8e.jpg

September 2040 (continued).

To define Fabrika's "Class of '40" as average -- or any of the players as "good" -- requires nothing less than a suspension in the belief of relativity and perhaps the power of words to convey an agreed-upon meaning.

The obvious drop-off in the quality of our academy needs to be discussed.  But Mat is distracted.  I can tell he's not listening.  His mind is elsewhere.

I take the opportunity to bring up his mumbling the other night.  After all, he is closer to Fabrika and our ever-expanding network throughout the country -- I barely remember which one of us founded which local supporters' club, each of which is a thinly-disguised front for our recruitment efforts.  

Nothing is getting through.  Until I ask him about "Project Mayhem," the mere mention of which causes his eyes to immediately regain focus.  A distrustful look on his face.

"The first rule of Project Mayhem is you do not ask questions."

Clearly, he's holding back.

"Something on your mind, Mat?"

He just shrugs, and turns away to ask Alexa to play the Eat, Pray, Love soundtrack.  Ignoring me. 

I am turning to leave when Mat speaks up.  His voice filled with a clarity -- an urgency -- that I haven't heard in some time.  

"I'd be very careful who I talked to about Project Mayhem, Rezo...  It sounds like someone dangerous is behind it.. Someone who might snap at any moment..."

I turn back to face him, but his eyes are again unfocused -- a direct contrast to his voice.

"Might be someone you've known for years, Boss...  Someone very close to you."

His eyes meet mine, focusing as a lopsided smirk grows on his face.  "Dinamo kickoff in a few hours, yeah?"

A 4-1 win ensues at the Gorlami, clinching our 13th straight league title.  But Mat is nowhere to be seen.  I don't think I want to know what he's up to.  I could ask him.  But, I do not trust that he'd answer honestly.

915fdfdad04add9888f9622d86ecab57.png d8308f5f1f642e32c14534b1d56d9f88.png a8032b01ec33a54ba3759f73c87b4236.png b032aa4f1fc5d91236962978ec5f5b43.png df8779541afdf2bcc23b25d9b8389d2f.png

7b68e07102cf4aea47c98bf144dfdc41.jpg 6e84766b0d3453ac441947390c05c746.png

October 2040.

Another European night in Sagarejo.  A heavy mist hangs in the air.  An unseasonable warmth and humidity.  Mat, nowhere to be seen.

It takes time for us to get going.  But once we find our rhythm the floodgates open.  8-1 at the final whistle.  We will head to England later in the month full of confidence.

We take a lap to thank the supporters as thunder rolls in the distance.  At which point I finally see him.  It is only a silhouette, but I would recognize him anywhere. 

Standing atop the western stand, somehow not buffeted by the growing breeze.  

Watching me. 

Holding something in his hand.  

Something that reflects the light, as lightning crashes over Ninotsminda.

2b8cb331cef3ce2193cd17b500e68a3f.jpg

Edited by ManUtd1

October 2040 - CAF World Cup Qualifying.

The night of the Kobenhavn match, I waited up for Mat.  I never heard him come home.  

Not until I heard his voice from behind me, down the hall.  Perhaps the heavy rain and thunder muffled the sounds of his return.

I found him again, staring at my father's picture.  Mumbling softly.  Drenched to the bone, though the hallway itself was thankfully dry (wet marble can be such a hazard, after all).

Lightning crashes and the power flickers before going out.  Darkness envelops the house, shadows growing as I wait for the generator to kick on.

I call out to Mat in the darkness.  But he does not answer.

After a few moments, the power turns back on.  Mat is nowhere to be seen.  It is as if he was never there.

Over the days that follow, I don't see him anywhere -- not at the house. Not at the office.  Not at the fields.

The players don't seem to notice his absence.  But I do.

There is no sign of him at the airport.  Nor in Luanda. 

Though I can feel his presence in Yaounde, he is nowhere to be found.  His voice, an echo in my mind.  His shadow, at the edge of my peripheral vision.

9a57374e9eea006252c19da2e62e9a4e.jpg dbadc81cfde30f3db001bb3903ee9796.jpg

2652884d7f0dcb08b2fa12bc19062bd3.png

3 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Your team looks to be in the mood this season :eek:

Feels like that moment that many of us will recognize when playing with a strong squad in a smaller league -- you're good enough to challenge in Europe, but your domestic opposition is miles behind even as the league grows.  In due course, they'll start to catch up, but this may be the "Hulk smash" year, domestically.

giphy.gif

October 2040 (continued).

Arriving in Liverpool ahead of the match against Roberto Martinez's high flying side, I still haven't seen Mat since the night of the Kobenhavn match.

I can't sleep.  The sounds of the hotel are all wrong, somehow.

At 2am, I finally give up on trying to sleep and go in search of a bite to eat.

The hallways are empty.  The front desk, deserted.  Not a soul to be seen in the restaurant, either.  Each step, accompanied by a sense of deja vu.  Everywhere I go, I feel like I've been here before.

I poke my head into the kitchen, and there's a group of staff -- finally, someone other than myself -- standing in a circle, chanting softly.

From behind me, a voice.  "Welcome back, sir."

I turn to see a man I can only assume is the bartender. Wearing a neck brace, his nose a smashed mess.  Bruised.

"How have you been, sir?"

Confusion reigns.  "...you...you know me?"

"Is this a test, sir?"

Confusion, now mixed with a rising alarm.  "Yes...  Yes...  It's a test."

"You were in here last Sunday night."

"What?"

The bartender just shakes his head slowly.  "You were standing right where you are now, asking how good security was down at Anfield.  It's tight as a drum.  You'd have better luck in Oostende, it seems."

"Who do you think I am?"

The bartender just chuckles.  "Is this part of the test, sir?"

I nod, slowly.

He raises his right hand, slowly, showing me a scar on the back of his hand.  "You're the one who did this to me, sir.  You're Matsil Chdilidze."

Heart pounding, I feel back to my room.  Fast as my feet can carry me. 

I pull out my cell phone.  Scrolling through to find her number.  Tamar, from Starbucks all those years ago.

The phone rings, my head spinning.  She answers.  I recognize her voice immediately...as if I could erase it from my memory.

"Tamar, it's...it's me.  Have we... Have we ever, you know... had... you know."

"What kind of stupid question is that, after all these years?!"

"Stupid because the answer is yes, or because the answer is no?!"

"Is this a trick?"

"Will you just answer me, Tamar, for urCristiano's sake?"

"You mean, you want to know if I think we were making love, or if it was something meaningless?"

"We...we did make love...?"

"If that's what you're calling it."

"Please just answer the question, Tamar!!!"

"You **** me, then snub me.  You love me, you hate me.  You show me your sensitive side, then you turn into a total ****!  Is that a pretty good accurate description of our "relationship," Mat?!"

"What did you say...?"

"What is wrong with you?!"

"Say my name."

"What...?!"

"Say my name!  What's my name!"

"Mat Chdilidze, you ****ing freak.  What's going on?!  You know what, I'm done.  Goodbye."

"Tamar, no!  Wait!"

The call disconnects.  And suddenly I realize I'm not alone in my darkened room.  The light from my cell, throwing shadows across the room. 

Mat sits in a chair by the window.

"6 academies across Georgia, Rezo."

"What's this all about, Mat?!"

"And we're definitely filling a void in rural West Africa."

"Why do people think I'm you?"

"You broke your promise.  You talked to her about me."

"Why do people think I'm Mat Chdilidze?!"

"Why did you do that, Rezo?"

"Answer me, Mat."

"Why do people think anything?"

"I don't know!  Tell me!"

Mat just shakes his head in disgust, irritated.

"People think that you're me, because you and I happen to share the same body."

A hammer blow to the side of the head.  I can barely speak.  "What...?"

"Is this really news to you?"

"Mat, what are you talking about...?"

"Sometimes I control it, and you imagine yourself watching me...  And, sometimes you control it.  You can see me and hear me, but no one else can.  But when you fall asleep, I do thinks without you.  I go places without you.  I get things done."

I can hardly breath and collapse onto the bed.

Mat stands.

"There.  Are you happy?  I asked for one thing from you, Rezo, one simple promise.  Now look what you've done!"

"This isn't possible..."

"We're going to have to do something about Tamar..."

I can only shake my head in disbelief.  "What... What are you saying, Mat?"

"It's okay.  We're okay.  A little codependent, sure, but..."

"No!  This isn't...  We... We were around other people, together, both of us."

"You never talked to me in front of anyone else."

"Wrong...wrong...what about Fabrika...the Board...the players...?"

"What about them?  They just think you're eccentric."

"You took me to the house, on Paper Street?"

"The house is rented in your name, Rezo."

"You have a job, you receive a paycheck!"

"Again, the Board just thinks you're eccentric.  Wanted to get paid under the table.  I work while you sleep."

"What about...what about Tamar?"

"What about Tamar, Rezo?"

"She...you...you were ****ing her."

"Yeah, well... Technically no."

I can't wrap my head around it.  I stand, but the rush of blood overwhelms me.  I fall to the floor, the world going hazy.  All I can hear before I black out is Mat's low, barbed chuckle."

I wake at 8:35 am.  I'm late for the team breakfast.  There's no sign of Mat.  I rush out the door, downstairs to find the lads waiting for me.  They chuckle at my disheveled state as one of the hotel clerks saunters over, a plate in hand.

"Your breakfast, sir."

"Wait...when...  I... I didn't order."

"You called last night, sir.  Pre-ordered."

"When...when did I call?"

"Sometime around 4am, sir."

"Good luck against the dippers tonight, sir."

I mumble a thank you, noticing a scar on the back of his right hand as he gives me a fist bump.

After breakfast, I pull out my cell phone and scroll back through.  A slew of numbers are in the call history, with a +32 country code.  Belgium.

We are away to Oostende in 5 weeks' time.

The match at Anfield passes in a blur -- a hard-fought 4-3 loss, won by Liverpool in the 94th minute after we were denied 2 goals by VAR, which saw fit to gift our hosts a dodgy penalty.

The ****s at UEFA must pay.

f193c2da10a98aae5121e4788aa22611.jpg

5f4ebcbb00a1c0c9f96ae0e349f7c713.jpg d3a52846de12bd013ff5d7bb4b09016e.png

A slight break from the narrative unfolding (after 9 months of build-up)...

Mauricio Fernandez joins the senior squad on his 18th birthday -- I once intended to play him as an inverted wingback, but upon further reflection have been training him as a WCB.  After 2-odd years "on trial" with our U19s, it's time for him to shine.  He'll join the 2nd XI immediately.

Davit Mchedlishvili also joined the 2nd XI recently -- promoted after Obama left the club at the end of the summer transfer window.  While Mchedlishvili has an attacking profile, I am now planning to play him as a BWM in our tactics.  I want this player to be hyper-attacking (notwithstanding the role), and I'm hoping he can develop a long throw in due course -- that is the last thing I can probably do to improve Awoa's goalscoring tally.

c6a997072ceef388b44ab4e964d789d0.png efca1b92db14663991ce7fe9235c0d21.png

November 2040.

I haven't seen Mat since that night in Liverpool.  But I can sense his presence.  Always lurking.

I dare not sleep.

Instead, I make my way methodically through my past phone calls, trying to figure out his plan.  But every call ends the same -- with evasiveness. 

Tonight is but one example.  I reach a number, and a man answers in French. 

"Listen...something, something terrible is going to happen."

"Very good, sir."

"What?"

"Don't worry about us, sir.  We're solid."

"Now, wait...there's been a mix-up.  Everything has changed."

"You told me you'd say that, sir."

"The plan is off."

"You told me you'd say that, too."

"Did I tell you I'd call you a ****, too?"

"Well, sir, you said you might."

Mat has thought of everything.

At least we avenged our loss in England -- my madness, twinning with Mat's, to create a tactical masterclass.

f1cd058effc796ef2039d568fb4121df.jpg

November 2040 - Cup of Nations Qualifying.

Since we have already qualified for Nigeria 2041, the matches this month are little more than glorified friendlies.  Meaning I have nothing to distract me.

At the recently opened branch of The Brothel in Yaounde, I order the clam chowder before I get a knowing wink from the cashier.

I sigh.

"Clean food, please."

The cashier nods.  "In that case, sir, may I advise against the clam chowder?"

"Crab bisque?"

She just shakes her head.  "Hard pass on the bisque, sir."

fb25745ce3865a61fce65221975ff417.jpg 8718d75203d430d306ac27199818f6fd.jpg

ea51431215d471a3bd5b766976552c75.png

November 2040 (continued).

Ahead of the Oostende trip, I take the major step of hiring an Assistant Manager.  An actual Assistant Manager.

The Board pass no judgment over my relinquishment of a second paycheck.  They were comfortable with the façade, and do not want to ask any questions.

I can't explain why, but for the full 90 minutes at the Diaz Arena, I wait for the penny to drop.  For Mat to reveal his masterplan.  Only, at the final whistle nothing has happened.

I relax, safe in the knowledge that whatever he had planned, it hasn't gone off.  And that with a 5-nil win we still are in control of our own destiny for seeding in the knockout rounds.

That is, until I wake up bound to a chair in my hotel room, Mat sitting on my lap, a gun in my mouth as we look out across what passes for the Oostende skyline.

With a barrel between your teeth, you can only speak in vowels.  For a moment, I forget about Mat's plan, and wonder about how clean this gun is before grunting.

Mat removes the gun from my mouth and checks his watch, before standing up to walk back over to the window, staring out intently.  "It's getting exciting now, Rezo."

"You don't have to do this, Mat,"

"You never understood, did you?  In any great struggle, there will be casualties.  Wouldn't that be implicit in the name, Project Mayhem?"

"**** your struggle.  I want out."

Mat just laughs.

"You want out?"

"I quit."

"Not an option, for the most obvious of reasons."

Mat checks his watch again.

"Two minutes, Rezo."

As time ticks past, Mat returns to sit on my lap.  Laughing softly at a joke only he hears.

"You never understood, Rezo, this is the only way."

"The only way to...what exactly?"

"To stop UEFA, Rezo.  They have to pay for what they've done."

As time ticks away, Mat gestures towards the window.  I can see a growing light on the skyline.  Fire.  Growing.

"Look at what we've accomplished."

"What, exactly, have you accomplished, Mat?  You're...setting fire to a Belgian city, to get back at UEFA?  How does that even make sense?"

"I haven't done anything, Rezo.  You have.  Look at the skyline.  Tell me what you see."

Staring out the window, it hits me.  I look around the room.  My briefcase is missing.

I know this, because Mat knows this.

"The fire is at the stadium, isn't it, Mat?"

A deep laugh.  A nod.  Both of which confirm my suspicions.

Mat stands.  Triumphant.  Silhouetted by the growing light in the window.  He reaches into his pocket, pulling out his cell phone to check his messages.

Realization dawns.  The restraints no longer present, I leap for him, knocking him aside, the gun falling to the floor. We both scramble, but I reach it first, turning to fire.   Two shots, at point blank range.

The bullets pass straight through him.

Mat just laughs maniacally.

"You're just a figment of my imagination," I shout with barely controlled rage.

Mat cocks an eyebrow.  "**** that.  Maybe you're a figment of my imagination."

There is no way out.

Mat chuckles again.  "You need me, Rezo."

"No I don't.  I thank you, I really do.  But I don't need you anymore."

"Look, Rezo.  I can be selfish.  I know that.  I'm not...blind, to my own failings."

I shake my head.  This has to end.  "From now on--"

"From now on, Rezo, no more running off without you.  From here on out, we do it together."

Words fail me. 

I cannot speak.  

"I'm doing this for us, Rezo."

There's only one option.  I put the gun in my mouth.  A look of alarm passes over Mat's face.

"What are you doing, Rezo?"

"This ends tonight, Mat."

"Why do you want to do that?  Why do you want to put the gun in your mouth?"

"Not my mouth, Mat.  Our mouth."

Mat pauses, cocking his head to the side.  "This is...interesting."

Mat smiles.  He calmly walks towards me.  He can see the look of determination in my eyes.

"It isn't that simple, though, is it, Rezo?"

Mat chuckles, again.  Softly.  Growing louder as I realize my mouth is empty.  The gun is in his hand.  I look up, to meet his eyes.

He only winks, before speaking softly as he walks past me towards the door into the hallway. 

Though he whispers, I hear every word.  "Mark my words, Rezo. Soon comes the day all shall be free. Even you, and even me. Soon comes the day all shall die. Surely you, but never I."

The last words ring in my ears as the door closes behind him and the town of Oostende burns in the distance.  He has left me.  Even at this moment, I know it.  But...for how long?

0bbd2e429d465fdf37c0d49fb4e475f9.jpg

0625616dedbf9f4a32ff54e5f560a565.jpg ffd477b7d22b30b35433bf01eabb121e.png

December 2040.

For all the stress and anxiety, the campaign ends on a high note.

At first I didn't dare fall asleep but there is only so long one can go without a good night's rest.  Between the shackles on my bed and a solid layer of sand throughout my room in our house, I can be sure that when I do fall asleep, I stay asleep.  Or, to put it more simply -- that Mat doesn't wander while I sleep.

Two weeks pass without a whisper from him or his minions.  The fire tore through Oostende, causing untold property damage though there were no casualties (thankfully).

No one knows of my -- our -- role in the fire.  Thankfully.

At the conclusion of a campaign unlike any other, I find myself -- for the first time in as long as I can remember, 1000 matches into my managerial career -- more lonely than I have ever been.

For even I have to admit that, at times, I miss his presence.  His voice.  His passion.

3955fa4a5679c2b760a22874393f7079.png

9878a1ac5c5252a5294355299a85c37f.jpg

f21919d339ac077c8a0402d6fa56708a.jpg bacc28323c654068ec1e2f20f1c3ce30.png

1571839867_garejicameroon.png.34b30af59ef1eae19821dc95e4d351aa.png

It Is Not The Mountain We Conquer But Ourselves

December 2040 - Season Review

A year that will never be rivaled, domestically.  We find ourselves in a unique position -- strong enough to compete in Europe, and miles ahead of the domestic competition who are striving to catch us.  At some point, the gap between us and our domestic rivals will narrow.  Scoring 206 league goals -- a record we'll never come close to matching.  Conceding a record 12 goals?  Again, a feat we are unlikely to match year after year.

Add in our 4-1 annihilation of Champions League winners Liverpool on Matchday 4 of the Group Stage -- and the 2nd XI's 12-nil curbstomping of Dinamo Batumi in the Davit Kipiani Cup final -- it is a campaign for the history books.

My closest friend has left me, though.  Perhaps to never return.  

As I walk through our empty house, I notice that he has not disappeared from my father's painting...he's still standing amongst the trees, brandishing a knife, staring intently at the house.  

Once, I found that alarming.  Now, it brings a smile to my face...something to remember him by.

Goals for 2041:  Win the lot, domestically. Make a run in the 2040/41 Champions League knockout rounds.  Qualify for the Champions League knockout rounds in 2041/42.

png-page-divider-letterpress-dividers-527.png

6c2dc427ca9a67dad57b85460c1d405a.png 11d4115ea31cb75c05d00fe7f4ba08b7.png f27c84d51b869977b38d76d64a137870.png 09309b551d0aeb3ba42ffc0eda8c1e28.png

1d8b304196434e2354537dbdb4f3b349.png 1de4a6a8d1aa6d522dd7fae4312cb158.png 4662c841ee3bcb5344a6b22a5c25fc63.png

f5b048cc4f3ad1999a7159d2e7311d0d.png

d87de22f9c081401b6f7235c12063466.png

af3aabc22df695b83add553f30ce95ce.png

giphy.gif

Achille Awoa, Danny Roberts Challenge - 2040 Overview

What a campaign for Achille Awoa -- the club's POTY yet again, 32 goals to his name (2 behind Thierry Kameni), and an average rating across all competitions of 8.23.  Utterly absurd. All told, 55 appearances and 39 goals for club and country -- that's a campaign in any league.  He's more than one quarter of the way to 1000 appearances -- while the goalscoring mark is almost certainly a bridge too far for a libero, he's doing quite well.  If we can get a viable player with a flat bullet throw, we should be able to pump those goals up a little bit, too.

Per usual, I've included Kameni and Ngongang.  There remains no question whatsover that they'll reach the Appearances mark, with Kameni cracking away at the Goals tally.  If we had him on free kicks and penalties, it probably wouldn't hurt...but that would take away from Awoa, which isn't going to happen.

5e2abd094647d7c87ce902021350a332.png

165847d5b57065a00c6392a7bd6b69c9.png

e6b3c5f184b07be09561e732ce31d60e.png 454d69d1b812860f75a8fc1c89407911.png

deac69658eb6cd3eb42d4c6b9105f3c4.png3e262df2e193bc2398b3ced4dc69655a.png

We draw Roberto Martinez's PS-****ing-G in the Champions League.

As much as I despise them and as far as bravado can take us, this is not the draw we wanted.  The press are quick to remind us that the Parisiens have dominated us, historically. 

We must take this as the opportunity that it is.

3f7284355f09464f801f34b7cffd4876.png

b8a05eeaa5bddeb8bc186757619371b2.png 484a56abf7b25bd57270666a71a61622.png

Television rights resume their slow rise, with a slight bump for 2040 -- $1.82M for Erovnuli Liga teams, $297k for Erovnuli Liga 2 teams.

3fa07ba6bab512256ad1c51d2e6191e0.png 8e852c15e27a6d6cd942370f2270cc31.png

On 10/07/2022 at 12:13, ManUtd1 said:

Television rights in the Erovnuli Liga triple for 2040, up to $1.7M from $530k in 2039.

07800d6889e71dec2809718048ecfdde.png b4cd3895b8d7dc6083c7b1dc5af895c3.png

48a57b8107da0f1dce4082d2398ee827.jpg

Nigeria 2041 -- African Cup of Nations, Group Stage

Before our 23-man squad leaves for Nigeria, we take on Scotland in a friendly -- no surprises as to the squad or the result.  We are the defending champions, having appeared in 3 straight finals.  We are the undisputed favorites.

Which makes our scoreless draw against Libya in the opening match a massive shock.  We are far and away the better squad, but cannot find the back of the net.  Not the way I had envisioned our title defense beginning...  The media are circling like vultures, hoping for us to fall on our faces.  

So when we race out to an early lead against Guinea-Bissau, claiming a 5-nil win, we are the ones laughing back in the locker room after the final whistle.  A hard-fought 3-nil win over Guinea seals our passage through to the knockout rounds -- it was a far closer match than the scoreline suggests, easily the most difficult of the three.

Fortune favors the Lions, as we will face The Gambia in the Second Round -- arguably the weakest side to advance, one we should play off the pitch in our sleep.

940e1119b5ea759cfbd4da79d31b2fa3.png 8c0f170248f94d5ca394d5f120708e3c.jpg

fee64fcdda2f1b464d69d2110fb65c0e.jpg 0bbab75676251e5dc62b3a2dcc789594.jpg 0ecde18f5631507cae2a952d109a5c40.jpg

42702362cf36bf703c704faf911bf370.png 0cacb571d6c2c1e6a3998592e1fc0ae0.png

e556de57f8b891963ba2458e97f2cba4.png

Nigeria 2041 -- African Cup of Nations, Second Round

Against the Gambia, the choice was clear -- rotate the squad.  An absolute no-brainer.

The decision is justified when they're reduced to 10 men after 15 minutes, at which point it is all over but the crying.  A penalty from Dieu and a saucy finish from Mbarga are all we need.  2-nil.  Job done.

Ghana await in the quarterfinals -- a side we beat 3-nil in qualifying last fall, and in the final 2 years ago.  It is by no means a straightforward match, but we should have the edge given our rotation and the fact that they needed penalties to get past Mali.

c2d97c6706602893530668363162557b.jpg 8e0fe49566e07c6cea76982a9bcc7e4d.jpg 13d16832fb2ec2b0895aae2d9b1ebbcb.jpg

88e129ffc972f812697786020f0fc941.jpg

010c8339e74cc75bfd63f0685469c357.png d1eb1b063434cbb5bbeb5245590079d3.png

e4597e38c72a465dab60eb30983ae524.png

Edited by ManUtd1

Nigeria 2041 -- African Cup of Nations, Quarterfinals

With our XI fully rested, we have no excuses for failing to advance.  Anything less than a 4th straight final will be an abject failure.

Ngongang keeps us in it in the 7th minute with a briiliant save after some schmexy build up play from Ghana.  We adjust our tactics to keep the flanking centerbacks deeper and more central, to nullify the treat posed by the opposition's route-one mentality.  And the tide begins to turn.

Azong should have us ahead in the 23rd, but is denied by the Ghanaian keeper, the momentum now firmly in our favor.  Ghana regain their composure but in the 37th minute, Noah's run from deep breaks the offside trap -- he hammers home to make it 1-nil after a beautiful diagonal ball from Azong.  A goal created on the grounds of Fabrika, even if both players have long since moved on.  Somewhere, Mat is smiling.

The tension grows, however, as time ticks on without anything further to show for our efforts.  We are the dominant side.  It is only when Noah picks out the corner in the 74th when we can begin to breath a little easier.  The match isn't over, but Ghana have barely threatened since the opening minutes -- surely, they cannot mount a comeback now...Abega nearly puts paid to that dream in the 84th, but he was marginally offsides...which allows Ghana to march down the pitch and score with their first shot in more than an hour.  It's all too easy.

A necessary wake up call, we adjust and close up shop.  It was not the consummate, professional end to the match we wanted, but it is nevertheless enough.  And at this stage, that is all that matters.  2-1.

We will face Doctor Congo in the semifinals -- a side searching for revenge after we eliminated them 2 years ago, on their home soil, in the Second Round on penalties.

17ad438ef60f1ca14227157ba4d11c94.jpg f4a9bc550b59f0c012d7e4c940898cf3.jpg 195e783e61259cbd9cb23ca61db23519.jpg 976fcf9d54c6ea50066b9c62cd0f4cc0.jpg

c3701a9d4e2ed5dd4f58d2bc449bb34d.jpg

a0ec34569cd3d800591270e50ea9374f.png 551cacd84674b87bca1f7e0120f133e6.png

e6c3c147c1376f3c420bacf4c4266508.png

Nigeria 2041 -- African Cup of Nations, Semifinals

An unchanged XI takes the pitch in Uyo.  On merit, we have nothing to fear from Doctor Congo.

We are the better side.

The more heralded.

But none of that matters over the next 90 minutes.

Azong fires just over in the 11th minute, with Noah repeating the pattern in the 17th.  We are in complete control in the early stages, but need a goal to break the tension.  The Congolese commit the classic blunder a few minutes later, however, gifting us a free kick just outside the box.  Awoa does the honors -- curling a free kick around the wall into the back of the net.  A classic goal for our talismanic libero.  When Kameni makes it 2 not ten minutes later, we look irrepressible.  Inevitable.  Surely, we will face Angola now, after they defeated Tunisia on penalties yesterday -- a rematch of the 2037 final, on the same hallowed ground.

But there is much football still to be played.  We cannot get ahead of ourselves...only Ndjitap makes it 3 in the 40th minute, and no one can stop this fat lady from singing.  (Metaphorically.)

Though Doctor Congo look to pull themselves back in the match, our eyes are on the final.  Substitutions are made.  Goals are scored.  5-1 winners on the night, it is nothing less than we deserve.

074b08114a4f10496d93323e5b5a6464.jpg afdf795602c362953b55caae8fa817e9.jpg cc59642ed6e095cdb30a88c598435bcc.jpg 8160e338c6fa51ee2e05403e9fd1dd82.jpg 1653c3c527b86c182cb6bae3bdece693.jpg e465b024dc36b7c2cdbd22ce29082fd6.jpg d4ef20253c3dec9ccd38b2c1aea61bac.png

64c8fbab13dcdc4a4a6184b1b7fa4558.png

Nigeria 2041 -- African Cup of Nations, Final

The stage is set in Katsina.  This is what we have been working towards.  Our 4th straight appearance in the Cup of Nations final.  The last major test before the 2042 World Cup in Russia.  

We are narrow favorites.  As we should be.  But we will take nothing for granted.  We come out aggressive, Kameni nearly giving us the lead in the 1st minute, with Awoa forcing an acrobatic save from the Angolan keeper on the ensuing corner.  The deadlock is broken in the 15th minute -- Azong's early box cross finding Kameni with space on the back post.  1-nil.

3 minutes later, Azong makes it 2 after Akono spies his angled run into the channel to beat the offside trap.  2-nil.  We are rolling.  The torrid pace relents, however, as we look to ensure our lead lasts -- we have no interest in a wide open match at this point.  And we have heavy legs, having refused to rotate the squad given that those most in need of a rest are the ones who got us to the final in the first instance.  They've earned the right to be on the pitch.

At the half, Awoa and Noah are looking gassed.  There is only so much left.  And we don't want to give Angola a route back into the match.  Bell and Ayong will replace them early in the 2nd half -- separately, as each has earned a moment of recognition from our support and the neutrals.  As time ticks on, there is no sign of a comeback from the Angolans.  We are in control, threatening on occasion to extend our lead -- which Ndjitap does in the 74th.

A comprehensive, 3-nil win -- albeit one that did not feel likely during that dismal night against Libya on Matchday 1.  

We have defended our title.  Now, we must prepare for -- and qualify for -- the World Cup.  Expectations will be high.  But that is an issue for another day.  We face Roberto Martinez's PS-****ing-G in Paris, in 10 days' time.

Opera News Detail farouku on Twitter: "Dikko Stadium, Katsina State. @ShehuDikko @iykeharris  @thenff @LMCNPFL @EASPORTSFIFA @SkySportsPL https://t.co/M0dTvyXJLi" /  Twitter

df9611eb6d18a8bb326063fa460b5a67.jpg da53fc5262d81ad7e91d8dfd5acc6f37.jpg 6fef239cde7a850f763efd8153194d4c.jpg

579b0167de991c21a72e743808608393.jpg 3a079fb5a38526a92c0c95cf7ce0185e.jpg f98ff5fdf35d6a13ffc0e5f437b6ac11.jpg 85517ab0af3984604b22626e34e86c4d.jpg fc49fb9dec09ba106d94ce31a74f45c9.jpg 1d22ab6af62d6973f322a7206949e674.jpg

7eaa2d6993710e98d81d1be704a8a3a1.png

On 16/07/2022 at 22:28, ManUtd1 said:

November 2040 (continued).

Ahead of the Oostende trip, I take the major step of hiring an Assistant Manager.  An actual Assistant Manager.

The Board pass no judgment over my relinquishment of a second paycheck.  They were comfortable with the façade, and do not want to ask any questions.

I can't explain why, but for the full 90 minutes at the Diaz Arena, I wait for the penny to drop.  For Mat to reveal his masterplan.  Only, at the final whistle nothing has happened.

I relax, safe in the knowledge that whatever he had planned, it hasn't gone off.  And that with a 5-nil win we still are in control of our own destiny for seeding in the knockout rounds.

That is, until I wake up bound to a chair in my hotel room, Mat sitting on my lap, a gun in my mouth as we look out across what passes for the Oostende skyline.

With a barrel between your teeth, you can only speak in vowels.  For a moment, I forget about Mat's plan, and wonder about how clean this gun is before grunting.

Mat removes the gun from my mouth and checks his watch, before standing up to walk back over to the window, staring out intently.  "It's getting exciting now, Rezo."

"You don't have to do this, Mat,"

"You never understood, did you?  In any great struggle, there will be casualties.  Wouldn't that be implicit in the name, Project Mayhem?"

"**** your struggle.  I want out."

Mat just laughs.

"You want out?"

"I quit."

"Not an option, for the most obvious of reasons."

Mat checks his watch again.

"Two minutes, Rezo."

As time ticks past, Mat returns to sit on my lap.  Laughing softly at a joke only he hears.

"You never understood, Rezo, this is the only way."

"The only way to...what exactly?"

"To stop UEFA, Rezo.  They have to pay for what they've done."

As time ticks away, Mat gestures towards the window.  I can see a growing light on the skyline.  Fire.  Growing.

"Look at what we've accomplished."

"What, exactly, have you accomplished, Mat?  You're...setting fire to a Belgian city, to get back at UEFA?  How does that even make sense?"

"I haven't done anything, Rezo.  You have.  Look at the skyline.  Tell me what you see."

Staring out the window, it hits me.  I look around the room.  My briefcase is missing.

I know this, because Mat knows this.

"The fire is at the stadium, isn't it, Mat?"

A deep laugh.  A nod.  Both of which confirm my suspicions.

Mat stands.  Triumphant.  Silhouetted by the growing light in the window.  He reaches into his pocket, pulling out his cell phone to check his messages.

Realization dawns.  The restraints no longer present, I leap for him, knocking him aside, the gun falling to the floor. We both scramble, but I reach it first, turning to fire.   Two shots, at point blank range.

The bullets pass straight through him.

Mat just laughs maniacally.

"You're just a figment of my imagination," I shout with barely controlled rage.

Mat cocks an eyebrow.  "**** that.  Maybe you're a figment of my imagination."

There is no way out.

Mat chuckles again.  "You need me, Rezo."

"No I don't.  I thank you, I really do.  But I don't need you anymore."

"Look, Rezo.  I can be selfish.  I know that.  I'm not...blind, to my own failings."

I shake my head.  This has to end.  "From now on--"

"From now on, Rezo, no more running off without you.  From here on out, we do it together."

Words fail me. 

I cannot speak.  

"I'm doing this for us, Rezo."

There's only one option.  I put the gun in my mouth.  A look of alarm passes over Mat's face.

"What are you doing, Rezo?"

"This ends tonight, Mat."

"Why do you want to do that?  Why do you want to put the gun in your mouth?"

"Not my mouth, Mat.  Our mouth."

Mat pauses, cocking his head to the side.  "This is...interesting."

Mat smiles.  He calmly walks towards me.  He can see the look of determination in my eyes.

"It isn't that simple, though, is it, Rezo?"

Mat chuckles, again.  Softly.  Growing louder as I realize my mouth is empty.  The gun is in his hand.  I look up, to meet his eyes.

He only winks, before speaking softly as he walks past me towards the door into the hallway. 

Though he whispers, I hear every word.  "Mark my words, Rezo. Soon comes the day all shall be free. Even you, and even me. Soon comes the day all shall die. Surely you, but never I."

The last words ring in my ears as the door closes behind him and the town of Oostende burns in the distance.  He has left me.  Even at this moment, I know it.  But...for how long?

0bbd2e429d465fdf37c0d49fb4e475f9.jpg

0625616dedbf9f4a32ff54e5f560a565.jpg ffd477b7d22b30b35433bf01eabb121e.png

image.gif.f04e3c4586fb8e7aace5b71de701aab5.gif

February 2041 - Champions League, First Knockout Round (1st Leg).

There's nothing I despise more than France in January.  Ok, that's not fair.

I just don't understand Corgis.  Short legs.  Big ears.  Dopey grins.  Maybe "despise" is too strong a word.  But they are the Australia of dogs.

As the away side, we anticipate that Thomas Tuchel's so-called "men" will try to take charge of the tie -- our flanking centerbacks are thus told to say home, narrower and deeper.  After all, this is where we've fallen down against PS-****ing-G in the past.  Everything in our pre-match build-up is focused on one simple task -- don't give them anything, yeah, lads?

So, when Masoud cuts past 2 players to give the hosts the lead in the 5th minute, it's all I can do to not walk over to the Parisiens' technical area and kick Martinez right in his "Corgi."  If you know what I mean.  

We are on the ropes.  Pinned in our own end.  Unable to connect 2 passes.  But when the French -- being French -- fail to track Jakimovski's run from deep, Kameni hits him in stride, the defense converging on him like pigeons on a fresh baguette, but all too late.  1-1.  Back level.  

It doesn't last.  Masoud restores the hosts' lead a mere 5 minutes later, hitting us in transition -- precisely the goal we were seeking to avoid conceding.  A change seems necessary.  Only, before we can arrange it, Masoud strikes again in the 20th minute.  In transition.

We are collapsing.  A shambles.

We adjust.  Anibal goes close from 30 yards.  We could have used that one, son.

Somehow, we manage to reach the half without conceding again.  Anibal our only threat in the final third.  I can see Mat's shadow in my peripheral vision, though his voice is silent.  He does not show his face.  Though I wonder what he is planning, I dare not ask.  I dare not given him control even if the lads need a good kick in the "Corgi" right about now...he was always good for a proper bollocking.

Again, we adjust.  Looking for a way back into the match.  1 goal, and we're back in it.

The French clear off the line in the 49th, a loose ball from a whipped Anibal corner wreaking havoc.

An hour gone, and it is as if the French have lulled themselves into complacency.  We've not taken our chances.  And they've stopped creating chances.  We need something to turn the tide.  Nolla replaces Bruno, with Toroshelidze on for Brkic.  10 minutes later, Komina is brought on for Cosic, who has been useless all night.  Moments later, Awoa clears off the line -- the biggest threat the French have posed since Napoleon.

At the final whistle, I can scarcely believe it.  Given the opening 20 minutes, we must count ourselves fortunate to have only conceded 3.  

Any reasonable man would tell you that, down 2 goals to the French giants, we have no hope back in Sagarejo.

But I am not a reasonable man.  I thought we had long since established that.

ab8b68f28665274cf84a238a6f56872e.jpg e07a931e3fc5a4813282cfed3ce870eb.jpg a09167a28fcceed708129f3a82ebed20.jpg 69001e81dd0849da477c0bf3a646fe28.jpg 3da890e489234ffad8add608b1cc67dd.jpg 52c6da2e755a79c544209cd52da24ed2.jpg 79908d507635063a5a13f8eca4c12c31.jpg

Edited by ManUtd1

March 2041 - Champions League, First Knockout Round (2nd Leg).

With our backs against the wall, it will come down to a team effort.  The need to put the collective before the individual.

My pre-match team talk is focused.  To the point, as we prepare to walk out onto the pitch.

"Tell me, lads, what's Sporty Spice up to?"

Brkic looks confused.  "Who?"

"Sporty ****ing Spice.  What's she up to?!"

Beridze, the captain, is game.  He's hip.  "I don't know, Boss."

"Exactly.  How about Posh?  You know what she's doing?"

Awoa, if anything, is looking more confused by the moment.  "I don't understand."

"Making clothes for anorexics. Right?! Not exactly a growth market. And Baby? You know what she's doing? **** all. Not even Page Six of the Daily Mail. And Scary Spice? Up to her eyeballs in lawsuits and *** tapes. Ginger, on the other hand, has released three albums. 'Passion', 'Schizophonic', and 'Scream If You Want To Go Faster'. They'll all make your ears bleed. You see, when they're apart, they're absolute ****ing rubbish. But, you put them together... they're the god**** ****ing Spice Girls."

The silence speaks volumes.  Broken only by Awoa, as he shakes his head in further confusion. "How do you know so much about the Spice Girls, Boss?"

Maybe I shouldn't have told the sound man to play 'Wannabe' as we walked out. 

It seemed like such a good idea at the time. 

Maybe I shouldn't do many of the things I do.

ea65a82f5f48f6d528edd165226bbe74.jpg 8d10aa5a00a196a774b69ab3c37ae540.jpg

2826f8091bc41bfbbc8362bec7f070cd.png

Edited by ManUtd1

9 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Rough one. They're obviously a top quality side. I did lol at the pigeons joke :lol:

:lol:

I was in a bit of a mood earlier, no question! Incredibly frustrating result. We're on the right track... At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

spacer.png

Edited by ManUtd1

March 2041 - International Friendlies.

The aftermath of our exit at the hands of the French is clear.  Several players have minor, nagging injuries.  Cosic is out until April.

We struggle through a few matches -- exhausted -- before annihilating Bakhmaro 14-nil (an Erovnuli Liga record) as we head off on the international break.  Honestly, the time away may help.  We need to put the exit behind us.  To focus on the future.

I let many of our aging reserves leave.  We don't need them.  Or want them.  They're good lads.  But they're not "good" lads...if you know what I mean.

The first match for the Indomitable Lions is against Greece.  Great names, that lot -- I could listen to Tamar read their teamsheet in a candlelit room...if you know what I mean.  (It's only a shame that they're such crap footballers.)

A heavily-rotated squad takes on Oman -- a team we should curbstomp in our sleep.  We start well -- Nolla forcing a (shockingly) good save in the first 30 seconds, followed by Ntamack heading off the crossbar from the ensuing corner.  It's an easy night in Yaounde.

664740dbdcca2e262a84266233603ac3.jpg c62277a309c2037f683852ebda72fb73.jpg

142f57cfdb77f4913fa9a0eee210614b.jpg b3bbaea4de497f90a442374ed1afb14a.png

April/May 2041.

Please don't misunderstand me when I tell you that there is satisfaction to be found in romping across the pitch in our domestic leagues.

At least for a while.

But dying in my bed many years from now, I would be willing to trade all the domestic wins from this day to that for one chance -- just once chance -- to go back to Paris and Thomas Tuchel that his breath smells like snails, and he's getting sacked in the morning.

d32c1d2ebecbc337f9f9e7031b5499dd.jpg 2d3979f0d21fed3f70649884e52efe16.png