FM22: Struggling with closing games out & high number of fouls

I have a couple of issues and it's frustrating me. Playing in National League with Carshalton, and I am performing above expectations etc. 

1.) I struggle to close games out. First half is strong, but I keep shipping goals in the last 10/15 minutes. What should I be looking at changing/shouting in order to do that? A change of formation seems to be worse, even if I look to replace a more attacking player with a defensive one. XG remains high(er) than opposition, but have not been getting the results I need.

2.) My fouls count is far too high and I suffer from sending offs/suspensions/fines for uncontrolled players. Is it the tactic or the players?

Just now, Big Marv said:

1.) I struggle to close games out. First half is strong, but I keep shipping goals in the last 10/15 minutes. What should I be looking at changing/shouting in order to do that? A change of formation seems to be worse, even if I look to replace a more attacking player with a defensive one. XG remains high(er) than opposition, but have not been getting the results I need.

What are you changing? How's the player's body Language and stamina? 

1 minute ago, Big Marv said:

2.) My fouls count is far too high and I suffer from sending offs/suspensions/fines for uncontrolled players. Is it the tactic or the players?

Any Get stuck in on, any Ball Winning Midfielders, Pressing Forwards? Any particular player?

4 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

What are you changing? How's the player's body Language and stamina? 

Any Get stuck in on, any Ball Winning Midfielders, Pressing Forwards? Any particular player?

1.) Trying not to change formation, but the result much the same. Stamina (general health/fitness of players) isn't great - often needing RST, have employed another physio in the hope this improves. Need to check on body language

2.) Across the team I'm getting this. I don't play BWM currently (either 2 x CM or CM/MEZ in the centre of the park), no pressing forwards. Get stuck in isn't on.

1 minute ago, Big Marv said:

1.) Trying not to change formation, but the result much the same. Stamina (general health/fitness of players) isn't great - often needing RST, have employed another physio in the hope this improves. Need to check on body language

Just check they're not Complacent, Praising your team seems to work well when you've got a lead. Sub out any defensive players that look shattered but be smart, obviously don't  sub out your entire back line. If you've a ton of attack duties, switching one or two can help them track back to help defensively. Employ some Time Wasting :brock:

3 minutes ago, Big Marv said:

2.) Across the team I'm getting this. I don't play BWM currently (either 2 x CM or CM/MEZ in the centre of the park), no pressing forwards. Get stuck in isn't on.

Could have some Dirty players. Kristian Pederson always seems to get sent off for every now and then for me, I was cursing him then he got sent off in real life the other night  :D

One thing that I think many FM players might overlook is that the AI will throw more players forward during both defensive and attacking set pieces. If you're leading, consider watching Comprehensive highlights to see all set pieces and adjust your set pieces accordingly. Or at least consider pulling a forward back to help defend. I find this has helped me considerably to avoid being caught out on a counterattack from a corner kick.

If you feel you are set up correctly or set pieces but you do still have a strong aerial threat, then consider enabling "Play for set pieces", I feel like winning set pieces is quite effective in wasting time.

--

When defending a lead I don't like to drastically change my formation or tactics, but I'll try to be more careful in possession of the ball. For example, I might disable things like "Counter", "Distribute Quickly", "Pass into space", "Higher tempo" etc or enable shorter passing, all to try and minimize the risk of losing possession.

And don't be shy to waste time in the last 10-15 minutes.