Are the wages in FM22 out of control?

@Lioncourt Thanks for your contribution.

The players are a greedy bunch and in real life most players probably do feel they deserve more money. It is indeed something that could be further tweaked and improved but still largely (not entirely) mimics real life. 

On 06/05/2022 at 13:17, Bojanbbz94 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you about the game mechanics. But that dissonance between the way that a teenager would rationally react to a massive transfer offer irl and the way they the game functions is what frustrates people. If the game is currently not doing a great job of reflecting what people to perceive as realistic, then I think it's reasonable for players question that.

SI needs to balance real life with what works in a video game. I don't agree with many of the choices they've made and this one is not necessarily an exception.

I do however understand that wage budget management is one of the things that makes the game more challenging (and to me more enjoyable) and if SI made it so that us managers could pick up players from poor parts of the world for minimum wage, then that challenge would be greatly diminished.

Il 6/5/2022 in 13:17 , Bojanbbz94 ha scritto:

I'm not disagreeing with you about the game mechanics. But that dissonance between the way that a teenager would rationally react to a massive transfer offer irl and the way they the game functions is what frustrates people. If the game is currently not doing a great job of reflecting what people to perceive as realistic, then I think it's reasonable for players question that.

Having situations where players consistently turn down higher wages at x club because that clubs has a higher overall wage bill / the league is wealthier only to end up signing a contract with y club on significantly lower terms is silly. Players and agents should recognise that in making overly-demanding contract requests, they are playing a game of brinkmanship that they are going to lose.

Yes. One way to improve things could be a simple "phone call" from the agent: "you know, perhaps we made a mistake refusing your offer, so if you're still interested we're willing to accept a lower wage..."

Ditto for contract renewals: "Apparently, all those stupid clubs and managers don't realize how gifted my client is, so, maybe we started with the wrong foot, but, you know, we are now prepared to listen to your offer with more attention..."

The manager shouldn't always be the one to back down, contract negotiations IRL sometimes take months, especially for high profile players. And, if it's all about the money, the player shouldn't be too picky accepting a pay rise; if it's about something else, the player simply "isn't interested" (I don't want to play with you/your club/division/nation/league...).

I understand that if you could keep all of your players and could sign everyone within your wage/transfer budget the game would be even easier than it is now. Back in the days, I remember that a lot of players "wanted a new challenge", became homesick, "wanted to move to a bigger club", "felt they had been treated unfairly", "didn't get along with teammate X" and so on. That, and some other "explanation", would probably help instill some logic in this chaos.

1 hour ago, sirgiorgio said:

One way to improve things could be a simple "phone call" from the agent: "you know, perhaps we made a mistake refusing your offer, so if you're still interested we're willing to accept a lower wage..."

Absolutely. I've lost track of how many players I've booted at end of contract just sit there in the free agent pile waiting for someone to accept their insane wage demands. The players are just too ambitious, and overly confident in their abilities to the point where they've lost touch with reality.

A good portion of this, I believe, can be managed. I do my best to crush ambition wherever I find it, and instead focus on fostering loyalty, professionalism, and determination. Players grow decently enough, and sometimes end up asking for less pay upon contract renewal, just so they can be in the team. Otherwise, you kind of have to not praise your players every time they do something remotely decent. If you are always talking them up in press conferences, their opinion about their own abilities and worth to the team is just going to go through the roof. If you declare to the world he's the second coming because he made a solitary assist or goal in a match, he's obviously thinking he's getting a raise at some point. Praise should be given periodically, and reasonably measured. Recently had a striker pull 5 goals with 2 assists. That's when you pull out the old "ok, you're a legend bro" talk.

The worst about this whole issue is how frequent players are thinking they deserve a new contract. I get that wages escalate extremely fast the better players are, and in the end very minor changes to player ability warrant major changes in wage. That's fine. And if my young player, who is worth 75m and earns 300k p/a might ask to get Starplayer money if he plays 80% of matches thinks he might be more valuable, i get that. But the amount of players developing not really, having a good run of 5 games and come to you and ask for3 times the money is problematic. I am cerainly not good at keeping wages down, so i doubt that i made such great deals with all of them that they have no other choice but evaluate their contracts new after 12 months. Maybe Si should make players a bit better at making deals that match their probably development and a youngster expecting very high playing time would demand escalators in the deal, so that their wages rise automatically well enough. Having 4 year delas renegotiated after 1 year 60 % of the time is no fun.

And by the way, the other thing that bothers me are the physios and the like, alsoays asking for 30% wage rises. Makes sense.

Edited by Broetchenholer

• 1 year later...