Journeyman save round South America (Clan Juvenil - Boca Juniors De Cali - Goias - Flamengo - Velez Sarsfield) FM 22

argento

We got battered by Bahia but we stunned Paranaense with two injury time goals to not only qualify but to win the group at their expense.

4th place secured and my aim next year is to try and be involved in the title race.  I don't expect us to win but I'd like to close the gap.

Gonzalez and Rodia were so close to the golde boot bagging 32 and 31 respectively but River Plate forward Dario Grande got 33.  Looking at his profile he's on £51,000 a week.  That's a third of my wage budget. 

Looking at the Brazilian Serie A this is very winnable.  Ten games into their season they have won a game having drawn 5 and lost 5 sitting 19th.  Also looks like my Flamengo side has been butchered, After 5 titles back to back they sit 4th.

Speaking of my old club, it might have cost us a higher percentage of his wage but Saulo is here for a third season

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Argentina have won the World Cup, no Velez players made the squad this time.  In four years time I hope we can change that

I was really tempted to accept but I feel I have unfinished business with Velez .  I can see International management on my agenda at somepoint but not yet

Another golden generation apparently.  High hopes here

We've got it all to do in the replay

Gonzalez with a sublime chip to seal us into the last eight. A trip back to Rio against my old rivals Vasco

Looks like our rep has increased as we had a few players reject European moves. Would've netted us £20M+ and sell on clauses for both

Not much activity.  Jose Herrera wanted a move and he wouldn't sign a new deal so I took the profit, should help us stay in the black for the season

Pasquarelli can play right wing or in the middle and will be a decent squad player.  Scouts rate him highly and Jacob is one for the future and part of the deal has gone back out on loan

Also happened sooner than I expected but after getting past Vasco we meet my old friends Flamengo in the semi finals

Strong start in the league as well with five wins out of seven and if we win game in hand we will only be 2 points behind the leaders, Rosario surprising everyone

River and Boca both lost players in the summer so it could be a lot closer race this year or maybe the Boca job could finally become available 

A 4-3 win on home soil and then went back to Flamengo and all I had to do was not got beat. 2-2 draw and into the final we go

Can we do the unthinkable and win the whole thing? Only thing stopping us is current holders Corinthians

We’ve dropped a little off the title race but it’s still only 8 points and there’s plenty of football still to be played. We got humbled by River and another loss to our bogey team San Martin. 

Boca are back in the mix after winning 7 games on the bounce but Independiente are still leading the way with a hell of a start. Just need to focus on staying in the top 6 to qualify again for the Libertadores. 

We were so close, when we took the lead I thought we was going to do it but we just couldn't hold on.  Still a hell of an achievement.  Just happy to get one over Flamengo (who also  finished 4th in the league and sacked their manager)

Still can't beat Boca in the league.  Looks like we're gonna be 4th again.  Can't see us catching the top three now but I'll give it a go

Gonzalez wins this award again!

And one for myself

Transfer window

And he's finally gone.  To my old club of all the options.  Good money though and enable me to sign a replacement who has the potential to be just as good.

Shockingly I went back to my old club for a replacement.  Came through the youth team while I was there and can also play up front when we need him.  Cost £4.2M which I think is a bargain.

Prospect for the future, got him on a free transfer will probably end up on loan

Was going so well after 5 wins out of 5 after the winter break but the wheels came off in march when the Libertadores kicked off as we failed to win any of our league matches picking up 2/12 points.  Looks like we will have to settle for 2nd in the group for the Libertadores after losing at home to Santos.

The battle for 3rd will go to the wire, especially since I play Boca at the last day of the season

Jacob our summer signing has lit up this tournament and will be returning to the first team squad end of the season, forgot to post a screenshot of him earlier.  With that determination I have high hopes

As predicted we finished 2nd in our Libertadores group losing both games to Santos

We lucked out in the 2nd round as we drew Ecuadorian side Emelec.  Although they did finish top of their group at the expense of Sao Paulo who finished 3rd shockingly.  I'm hoping that was a fluke

Despite 7 wins on the bounce we couldn’t grab 3rd off Boca. Hell of a season to getting to the final of the Libertadores bit sadly we couldn’t make any inroads in the title race.

Shout out to Rodia who ended the season player of the year and top goalscorer 

Was just checking the job board. Olimpia would be interesting, not managed in Paraguay yet and they’re probably the biggest side there. My old club Boca Junior de Cali job looks like it would be available again and even Clan Juvenil my first ever job. Don’t thing I’m ready to go back to the Ecuadorean 2nd division yet!

Was gearing up for another season with Velez when this came across my news feed. Obviously I’ve applied!

What I hope to be a parting gift for Vélez as I extend the Saulo loan for a 4th season. We can’t afford him outright so this will have to do.

And now finally after 15 seasons I have made it to the job I wanted 

I had pretty easy targets for Vélez but we got some expectation here now. I want to stay here long term and turn this into the biggest club in South America. Flamengo im coming for that crown

So looking through the squad we've got some quality players we just lack a bit of depth which I'll try and introduce over the next few years so we can properly challenge the big boys in Brazil.

Looking at the squad here is a few of the stand outs

Surprised he hasn't been capped yet, Colo is one of our best players.  He is on a lot of money though and so if the right offer comes in I may have to cash in

Top left back and can deputise on the wing when needed. A few clubs are sniffing round him and he is 31 in a few weeks.  I'd be tempted to cash in while we can.  Will probably look to let him go end of the season subject to getting someone in.

The club captain can play on right or up top and depending on who I can bring in will see where he plays.  

Only 18 and star centre back, Europe beckons and when it does it will be for a boat load of cash.  Has four more years on his contract so no need to let him go on the cheap

Talented midfielder who I just tied down for 3 more years, will look to give him plenty of game time this season

First thing I did was promote this fella from the U'20 squad. High hopes for Walter

Busy transfer window, Edson was decent player but on a high wage and wasn't first choice.  Also took up a valuable foreign spot.

Linik was part of my Velez side and the Brazilian born defender now has an Argentinean passport.  Signed on loan with a £1.4M mandatory future fee.  

Heim was signed by my predecessor and will go back out on loan.

My new star striker. I signed him at Flamengo but it didn't work out when I left and he went back to Colombia and then Ecuador.  Also fits club culture of signing Colombians.

Will compete for the right back spot, turned me down at Velez but Boca was a big enough club for him to make the move to Argentina. Massive future ahead of him 

Reyes is a classy midfielder and probably a future captain. Delighted with him and will slot in with Rodriguez in the middle of the pitch

Welington came through the youth ranks at Flamengo when I was there I signed him on a free to arrive in January but brought it forward for £300,000 to provide cover.

Talented Peruvian midfielder has gone back out on loan, will be my playmaker in the future just needs a bit more experience

When I signed Robles I also spotted this left back with a low min release and will be perfect back up to Barco and even hold it down for a bit if i cash in on him

Juan Carlos David has made an immediate impact since his signing and bagged two goals in the 2nd leg against his former club to see us through.  

Our reward a quarter final tie with Corinthians who won it the last two years on the bounce.

Old clubs watch - Flamengo ease into the quarters but Velez crash out to Emelec, disappointing

My decision to promote Walter paid off with a hatrick on debut, this boys going to be special

Been a great start as we won every game in the league and progressed in the cup

Corinthians were too good for us, we needed to win the home leg if we were to have any chance but it wasn't to be.  Half of my signings were cup tied.  Next year if I can get a few more players in we can make a proper challenge

Velez dropped off a little.  They lost a few players after I left, notably left back Kevin Lopez joining Flamengo.  They also turned down £20.5M for the keeper Martinez I brought for £1.3M which surprised me.

River and defending champions Independiente have both already slipped up and if we win our game in hand we will be 6 points clear, perfect start

Our domestic form has been incredible so far not lost a game.  Luca and David have formed a hell of a partnership and we've been scoring for fun

With big wins over title rivals Independiente and River we have already opened up a 9 point gap at the top.

Velez gave us a great game in the cup with Rodia scoring in the 88th minute to take it to penalties where we eventually triumphed.

With Independiente and River already out the cup I expect to make this my first trophy as Boca gaffer

Out of the youth team graduates only one was rated highly, he's probably going to end up on loan next season I have plenty of options up front.  

First trophy

With River out in the first round I always thought we'd be in with a shout. Velez nearly caught us out in the quarters. 

Our unbeaten run in the league ended sadly.  Arsenal de Sarandi battered us and then we lost to Colon who are languishing in 19th.

River reduced the gap to 6 points, Julian Alvarez still running the show at 35, he's scored 261 league goals for them, 18 this season  and is under contract for another 18 months, he's got a hell of a shot of getting their club record which stands at 293.

Copa Libertadores has thrown a tough group. My old pals Flamengo who returned to form and won the Serie A again, Emelec who made the last 8 last year knocking out my old Velez side and then Millionarios from Colombia who I feel could be the groups whipping boys

Transfer window

Out

The club is spiralling into debt so I had to balance the books a bit.

Velasco was a good squad player but he's 33 and on £35k a week.  With 18 months left on his deal he was unhappy so figured just let him leave.

Miguel Rodriguez was a decent player but was 4th choice striker for me so cashed in.

Rest of the youngsters I sold where players who planned to leave on bosmans so again it frees up the wage bill earlier and gives us a little bit of income.

Now who have we added to the squad

Has joined on a free transfer after his release by Vasco, only an 18 month deal.  Quite versatile and is a decent squad player while I wait for the youngsters to kick on

After the success of Oscar Gonzalez at Velez I went back to Venezuela.  Mejias I tried to sign in the summer but he had just signed a new deal.  Grabbed for £275,000 great squad player.  To be honest I signed him after accepting £14M bid for Lucca from Flamengo and Arsenal but then he turned them both down so he wont play as much as I first thought

Now I wasn't planning on signing anyone else but this was too cheap to refuse. I signed him for Velez two years ago so he already has an Argentinean passport.  He was transfer listed for some reason so I picked him up for just £1.2M. Can play at right back or in centre.  Scouts still rate him highly so hoping he can kick on here.

We were second best for most of the game but we won our 2nd trophy of the season after a goalkeeping master class from Ledesma

Perfect start in the Libertadores 3 wins out of 3 and a 4-0 win over Flamengo.  David getting a hatrick against the club that cast him aside after I left. Flamengo also dropped points against Emelec and could put themselves in danger of not qualifying if we manage to beat them in Rio as well

River crumbled in the last few games and now the league is ours.  I know technically we haven;t won it yet but if we lose it from here I'll quit. The toughest part will be holding onto the squad.  The vultures are circling

Managed to break the 100 point mark as we won our last ten on the bounce.  I reluctantly agreed to let Bocca go at the of the season so if a bid comes in he's out. Juan Carlos David has attracted the attention of Flamengo but he remains uninterested by them thankfully he doesn't seem interested.

We romped the Libertadores group as well winning every game and I did enjoy going to Flamengo and beating them

Lets see how the group stages finished in the Libertadores

All the Brazilian teams qualified. River and Velez both dropped out leaving just 3 Argentine teams in the latter stage.  Biggest surprise was probably Danubio of Uruguay topping Group A

Colaso our star centre half won the nxGn award,  Easily one of our best players but due to our attacking prowess goes un-noticed. Surprised no European clubs have come in for him a few UAE clubs have put bids in but he remains committed to the cause.

Sebastian Rodriguez plays every week in the middle of the park and Aston Villa keep making low ball offers but so far and he has now been capped by Argentina so I expect him to move on soon enough

Then the surprise was Santiago Rodriguez a Uruguayan born striker I loaned to Estudiantes (RC) and he scored 8 in 15 in the 2nd division.  

Juan Carlos David wins the golden boot, thought Luca was was going to win it but an injury later on tailed his chances.  Shout out to my old friend Oscar Gonzalez who continues to score for fun and bagged 28 goals.

The awards keep piling in, Alvarez at 35 still rolling back the years a deserved runner up

Avoided a Brazilian side so that should be us into the last 8.  

With the club over £20M in the red I had to consider any offers coming in. It saw the following leave

Eduardo Fernandez our back up keeper goes to Bragantino for £600,00, Ivan Rivero a versatile midfielder goes to Al-Ain for £4.2M and finally Valentin Barco goes to Al-Ahli for £3M.  Barco was the only regular starter to leave but as he's 32 now and on £25,000 I decided to cash in

We raised a bit more money as we sold a few more fringe players.

Wellington goes out on loan as I don't have the space for him currently in my Foreign quota, he gets an Argentine passport end of the season so it wont be an issue then

Linik Eduardo deal was already agreed as part of his loan deal last season

Also signing on this season is

Young Venezuelan full back, won't play this year as I can't register, will go out on loan when I can get an Argentine side to take him on as he needs to stay in the country for work permit

Zeballos was highly regarded as having a lot of potential and I can't imagine I'll be able to hang onto Colo too much longer,  Will try and give him plenty of game time against the weaker sides this season

Pulgarin I've been tracking a while and I bagged for his minimum release which I think is a steal.  He also fits the clubs vision of signing Colombians.  Had to send out Wellington on loan to register him though

Managed to go to Brazil and hold them to a draw before a late winner from wonderkid Sebastian Rodriguez at La Bombonera sees us into the last four and we take on my old Rio rivals and current champions Vasco de Gama.  They are also led up top by Matias Diaz who was one of my star players at Goias which now seems a lifetime ago, he also remains their all top top goalscorer.  Glad he served them so well.

Had a dream start in the league as we have won every game in the league so far and progressed in both the Copa Argentina and the Libertadores

We were missing a few players at the start due to olympic qualifiers or some other tournament and Rolando Meijas stepped up to partner David and proved he's good enough for this level.

Independiente have started well and could well give us a run for our money.  River have a few games in hand which would see them right back in the mix if they pick up wins in both games

1 hour ago, corinthiano said:

Congrats getting the dream job at Boca, would be great to play Flamengo in the Libertadores final!

Cheers I actually wanted another season at Velez to try and win the league but I had to take my shot at the Boca job!

I managed to get past Vasco with a 6-1 aggregate over the two legs, sadly Flamengo couldn't do their part so I get Atletico Mineiro in the final

Going for the invincible season, Meijas continues to impress and has actually replaced Luca alongside David.  Progressed into the last 4 of the cup so the treble is well and truly on.

Independiente and River both having good starts but we haven't even looked like losing yet.  Velez struggling a bit more this year.  If I lose a few of my players to European sides I'll be going back there to raid them for some more players

Best on the continent, next stop hitting the top Worldwide.  Currently 8th

Ancelotti, Mourinho and obviously Ferguson have all retired. Going to take some time to catch the likes of Nagelsmann and Guardiola.  

David had a hell of a 12 months, maybe it is because I'm not running any European leagues but the only offer I've had for him is from Flamengo.

I'm stunned we haven't dropped any points at all, sure I won't be able to maintain it but we'll keep pushing for that perfect record.

Velez struggling, if they don't get top 6 they'll lose Copa Libertadores and then it might give me a chance to steal a few of their players

Edited by argento

Juan Carlos David delivered again as we added the Supercopa to our trophy cabinet, that's the cup treble completed

A 1-1 draw in Brazil laid the foundations for a big win at home and out 4th trophy in 3 months.  Just need the league now

The Copa Libertadores groups have been drawn, the biggest suprise was both Gremio and Vasco not getting through the qualifiers so only 6 Brazilian sides are in the group stage.  This is the easiest group I've had yet in the Libertadores.  Velez and San Martin have the toughest groups out of the Argentine sides

We are going to do it without two of our best players though

Colo is one of our best players but couldn't turn this offer down from Flamengo, the club has to keep selling to stay in the black

Colaso wouldn't sign a new deal and so I decided to cash in before he run his contract down, the 50% sell on clause has potential to net us a lot of money down the line, I feel he could easily be a £40-50M player. 

I only brought in one player in the transfer window as part of the first team squad

Saulo came through the youth set up at Flamrngo when I was there, he has since spent the last 4.5 years on loan at Velez a move I started which they kept renewing.  He comes in for £2.6M.  Already has an Argentine passport due to loan spells and will be challenger for Wellington on the right wing.  Bocca will switch to the left flank now with Colo leaving.

e

As expected we have beaten each side comfortably so far, averaging over 5 goals a game!  Meijas been given a chance to shine and has bagged 5 in 3.  He has had a hell of a season

Banfield held us to a draw but we remain unbeaten.  Invincible season still on! Shou tout to Dabvid for his 6 goals against Belgrano

And with that I'm kind of done with this save.  I think not running the European leagues may have overpowered the South American ones?  Not as many players being exported maybe.  Our toughest test was scoring a 120th min equaliser and winning on penalties.  

I may come back to this later, but for now putting this save to bed.  May well do a youth only.  Just need some inspiration