FM22 - Pressing Has Been Reworked

What is the purpose of the new defensive line button (Step up/Drop off). If i play a high/much higher line is this not instructing the team already to have a step up mentality as with fm22? For example If i set the line to higher/much higher and  use 'Drop off more', would this not be conflicting information to the team. Not sure what value these button have over the setting up of your lines (on left hand side).

23 hours ago, JIMBOFMCD said:

What is the purpose of the new defensive line button (Step up/Drop off). If i play a high/much higher line is this not instructing the team already to have a step up mentality as with fm22? For example If i set the line to higher/much higher and  use 'Drop off more', would this not be conflicting information to the team. Not sure what value these button have over the setting up of your lines (on left hand side).

They either „step up“ to keep the space compressed and provide pressure, maybe potentially even play for the offside or they „drop off“ if nessecary to potentially prevent balls over the top.

the defensive line is just where the players position themselves when the opposition has the ball in their own half.

I don’t think there is a right or wrong when combining it with a higher line. You can either complement the high line or use it for balancing the risk.

On 31/10/2022 at 11:12, JIMBOFMCD said:

20221108133112.thumb.png.55bb05981656e7aac96e5ba3a1b75426.png

On 31/10/2022 at 11:12, JIMBOFMCD said:

In a nutshell, how do you want to defend? Thats the decision you need to make with those defensive line instructions.

For me its intuitive. Most times I look at my players see how we are doing on the ball. Are we getting a lot of final third passes but not creating a lot of good chances, then I lower the tempo, while keeping my eye out on how they defend. If I notice my players sometimes finding it a bit challenging to defend because the opposition players are usually putting them under pressure, then I consider using drop deep. If I am playing against a defensive formation and I want to apply pressure I might gegen press at the start play higher up the pitch with step up more and if my defense can handle it keep the pressure up till we score the goal. Then I drop tempo and start playing drop off more. For me its all about using those instructions. Deciding on your formation is the first step, I want to play to my strengths all the time. So i come up with a goal scoring strategy and a contain strategy. I dont change the roles and duties in my tactic ever. All I do is change one or two team instructions and mentality.   Most people are either making mistakes with team instructions or they have a poor bench strategy.  Do either wrongly on FM23 and you are likely to struggle if you have an average squad. With a good squad its biz as usual