Advanced questions regarding some ambiguity with role familiarity, training and more

1. First, role familiarity. I know it's said that there's no such thing as role familiarity (such as in this blog post) but the game clearly tracks duty/role familiarity values for each player for each duty/role. You can see it in both the "Position/Role/Duty" bar on the training screen and on the tactics menu when you click on "Show Tactical Familiarity". Training and playing a player in a specific role gradually increases the bars for those roles.

So the question is, is the game storing, modifying and displaying the role familiarity values but completely ignoring them in the match engine? This would actually be a pretty big deal since I'd have a lot more freedom to choose roles for a player based on the current formation/tactic I'm using. 

2. For tactical familiarity, am I correct in my understanding that some changes are "free" while others "cost" tactical familiarity? To keep it simple, let's say you only have 1 tactic with a "Positive" mentality. Changing to a "Defensive" mentality clearly reduces some familiarity, which will be a negative factor in the match engine. However, do other options such as "Pass Into Space", your defensive lines, and everything in the "In Transition" tab really have no penalty when changing? 

On a side note, it's interesting that only your line of engagement affects the "Pressing Intensity" bar on the training page, while actual pressing intensity is not a factor :)

3. How exactly does the intensity of the pre-season affect players' fitness over the course of the season? Would my players lose and regain fatigue levels quicker? Also, how does anyone know how much is enough? Finally, is it purely based off of how many Endurance and Resistance sessions you schedule? 

4. Do partnerships actually affect their performances or is it just a visual indicator that those players have performed well together in their roles? I've noticed that their performances in matches affects whether they get good or bad partnerships, but does it also affect the match engine for future games once the partnership is established?

Thanks in advance!

14 minutes ago, seonki said:
1. First, role familiarity. I know it's said that there's no such thing as role familiarity (such as in this blog post) but the game clearly tracks duty/role familiarity values for each player for each duty/role. You can see it in both the "Position/Role/Duty" bar on the training screen and on the tactics menu when you click on "Show Tactical Familiarity". Training and playing a player in a specific role gradually increases the bars for those roles.

So the question is, is the game storing, modifying and displaying the role familiarity values but completely ignoring them in the match engine? This would actually be a pretty big deal since I'd have a lot more freedom to choose roles for a player based on the current formation/tactic I'm using. 

Role familiarity doesn't exist, in general. Not in the same way we have positional familiarity - where a player's mental attributes are affected if being played out of position. What you're talking about is role familiarity within the tactic itself, so it's more to do with tactical familiarity with the role, in that tactic.

Thanks for the response! 

What you're talking about is role familiarity within the tactic itself, so it's more to do with tactical familiarity with the role, in that tactic.

To clarify, there is no "global" role familiarity for a player but since some form of role familiarity exists within a tactic, would changing a role within a tactic incur a hit to a player's mental attributes if he has never trained in that role? 

10 hours ago, seonki said:

would changing a role within a tactic incur a hit to a player's mental attributes if he has never trained in that role? 

The mental attributes hit is for playing a player out of position. The more unfamiliar with a position, the more of a hit. 

20 hours ago, seonki said:

2. For tactical familiarity, am I correct in my understanding that some changes are "free" while others "cost" tactical familiarity? To keep it simple, let's say you only have 1 tactic with a "Positive" mentality. Changing to a "Defensive" mentality clearly reduces some familiarity, which will be a negative factor in the match engine. However, do other options such as "Pass Into Space", your defensive lines, and everything in the "In Transition" tab really have no penalty when changing?

Pretty much any change you make "can" affect tactical familiarity, however the impact can be so tiny it'll make zero difference.

3. How exactly does the intensity of the pre-season affect players' fitness over the course of the season? Would my players lose and regain fatigue levels quicker? Also, how does anyone know how much is enough? Finally, is it purely based off of how many Endurance and Resistance sessions you schedule?

Have a quick read of this - scroll down a little way to the section "Best Practise - Pre Season".

4. Do partnerships actually affect their performances or is it just a visual indicator that those players have performed well together in their roles? I've noticed that their performances in matches affects whether they get good or bad partnerships, but does it also affect the match engine for future games once the partnership is established?

Purely visual and just an indicator to give people a visual check.  Feel free to ignore it once you get a feel for your team , players and how they play.

43 minutes ago, seonki said:

So does the role familiarity within a tactic have any influence on the match engine?

For all intents and purposes, no.  Treat it as a visual indicator only, although once you become more familiar with your players and their abilities feel free to ignore it as you'll find that players can play well in a variety of roles, regardless of what that indicator says.