Underperforming away from home

Hello everyone. I'm in my fifth season in the PL with Dartford FC currently fighting for a UEL spot. I'm still gradually improving the squad, the club is shorter on money compared to other top tier clubs but I still think I could be doing better(especially since in the 3rd season I managed to qualify to the UCL).

I came up with this tactic trying to fit the players the best I can. I opted for a mid block since the midfield trio has good workrate, teamwork, stamina and tackling. I'm looking to win the ball in midfield and catch the opposition off guard with quick transitions using the front three's pace and creativity. Previously I used the IF on attack to get someone closer to the CF but I was worried about the defensive phase since the full back is on attack too.

imagem_2021-03-18_212215.png.bccbe3fb08887a424fe67a16898ccf5a.png

So the reason I think I should be doing better is I'm actually doing great at home, 12 wins 3 draws and 1 defeat so far(beating LFC, Arsenal, Tottenham and Man City in the process). But I'm not doing well at all in away games, as you can see below.

imagem_2021-03-18_213737.png.5dc31b43b953837bd4e76d5b71354834.png

So what do you guys think? I thought about making the tactic a bit more cautious in these games but weirdly enough I don't even concede from counter attacks all that much. Most of the time I just lose to a cross or a quick passing interchange while creating next to nothing... Thanks in advance.

Edited by arthurbf10

Your tactic looks fine overall, except for the lack of attacking width on the right - due to having both wide players in inside-oriented roles (IWB & IW). There are 2 easiest ways to solve that:

1)                      IWsu

MEZat

HB

WBsu

Or:

2)                       Wsu

CMat

HB/DMde

IWBsu

I personally would prefer the latter, and for 2 reasons:

1. More stable defense-wise

2. Offers more direct central penetration, which can be particularly important since your striker is played in a roaming role (CF)

When it comes to your team instructions, I cannot offer any specific feedback simply because I don't know the quality and strength of your team. I can only say that there is nothing wrong with your TIs per se. 

Of course, instructions such as PoD and counter-press can always be potentially risky, so make sure your players have what it takes to execute them properly.

Just to add what @Experienced Defendersaid about the lack of width on the right side, i've lately been having good results with this combination:

IW(s)

CM(a)

DM(d)

WB(s)

The IW(s) have the PI's to stay wider and roam from position. I like this combination because is less cross friendly (winger have cross more instruction) and avoids the MEZ(a) in the midfield that is harder to fit (because is a more demaing role).

I'm finding the IW(s) combinig really well with the CM(a),with the WB(s) overlapping.

Edited by Keyzer Soze

Thank you both for the advice, as of now I'm gonna have to keep the IW because I don't really have anyone suited for the winger role. So I'm changing the IWB to a WB(S) and trying out the CM(A) + DM(D) as well as the MEZ + IW to see which way I find more success. 

He has no right foot + his traits suit inside oriented roles better I think, he has cuts inside from right wing, tries killer balls and switches ball to the other flank. He also has comes deep to get the ball and arrives late in opponents' area, but I'm training him to stop doing those.

11 hours ago, arthurbf10 said:

He has no right foot + his traits suit inside oriented roles better I think, he has cuts inside from right wing, tries killer balls and switches ball to the other flank

None of these prevents him from playing in the winger role. By playing a "natural" IW/IF as a winger, you actually get a hybrid between the 2 roles, which can add some interesting dynamic to your attacking play. Basically, almost any player that suits the IW or IF role can play as a winger as well. All depends on which role fits better with the rest of the setup.

12 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

None of these prevents him from playing in the winger role. By playing a "natural" IW/IF as a winger, you actually get a hybrid between the 2 roles, which can add some interesting dynamic to your attacking play. Basically, almost any player that suits the IW or IF role can play as a winger as well. All depends on which role fits better with the rest of the setup.

I was mostly worried about his weak right foot, but that seems very interesting. Gonna try it out in pre-season, thank you for the advice mate!

11 hours ago, arthurbf10 said:

I was mostly worried about his weak right foot, but that seems very interesting. Gonna try it out in pre-season, thank you for the advice mate!

But do not try it only for the sake of it. Instead, make sure it makes sense within the context of the tactic as a whole. 

I played a little today and finished the season, 6 matches played, 3 won(3-0 v Liverpool and 2-1 v Tottenham away) and 2 lost(v Man Utd and Leicester). Overall I was satisfied, but now on the next season I guess my reputation increased to a point where a lot of teams are parking the bus against me, so I came up with this:20210321174157_1.jpg.c4b7520fe4d4b43b9051d024d57e35e8.jpg

Dropped the CF duty to support, Morgan was originally an AM so he fits the role really well. I'm expecting him to drop deep a little and create space for the MEZ and the IF, who now is on attack duty. But sadly it isn't really working, most if not all of my shots come from crosses and the IF gets very few chances per game(4.06 acumulated xG in 18 games). Am I doing something fundamentally wrong here? I don't think I'm trying to do anything my players can't, they are really good.

20210321174818_1.jpg