Lazio - 532 advice

I've just started a new save with Lazio. The season has started OK with 7 points from the first three games - although these were all against the lower sides in the division. I started off trying to defend deep and playing on the counter - but that didn't really work. I wasn't creating all that many chances - so i switched to the formation you see below. Changing to shorter & quicker passing which has resulted in slightly improved performances. 

I just wanted some more experienced eyes to glance over my formation and advise of any potential short comings?

image.thumb.png.0b89f94b4187ce1fb609b3b6d04193c6.png

When it comes to roles and duties, I would definitely switch the mezzala's duty to support. With an already attack-minded wing-back role on that side, an attacking mezzala means too much defensive risk without any justifiable reason. Because even from a purely attacking perspective, the mezzala would make a lot more sense on support duty acting as a latent creative and roaming attacking threat behind the AF. So even if the LWB was played on defend duty, the mezzala should be on support in this type of system.

In terms of instructions, playing with the narrow defensive width in an already narrow formation does not look like a good idea to me. Because you are encouraging the opposition to attack you primarily through the flanks, where your wing-backs are naturally outnumbered (except when you play against another narrow system). 

Not sure what's your reasoning behind TIs such as play for set pieces and less urgent pressing (as well as regroup). Such instructions basically suit more passive types of defensive football, but your setup of roles and duties does not look compatible with such style of play.

13 hours ago, Paul Barton said:

If I was trying to develop this tactic to be slightly more defensive and counter attack minded or just more direct, what sort of role combintinations / TIs would be best suited? 

In that case, I would prefer central midfield with a more defensively responsible and more holding or covering role than the mezzala. Both strikers could be played on attack duties and the RWB's duty would be switched to support. 

Would also consider changing the DLP into a non-playmaker holding/covering role, because you really don't need more than 1 playmaker (if any) for a direct/counter-minded tactic. 

But you may also need to tweak some instructions as well.