Transitioning from Relegation Favourites to Top 6 Contenders

Hi, I'm currently in my 4th season of a West Brom save. Having survived relegation in the previous season as favourites to go down, my objective is now not to fight bravely against relegation but to avoid it entirely. My squad has improved too, and we've gone from 20th to 17th on the predicted table. Last season I played a low-block 4-4-2, which was actually a 4-2-4 DM. We had the busiest defence in the league but were quite impenetrable, only beat by some of the top 6 sides. On the attacking side we were the most passive in the league yet very clinical, amongst the best in the league in that department.

My question is really how do I transition tactic wise from relegation candidates to a top half/ europa league team. I understand this might take a few years but I don't want to play the same way as last season. We're a better team now but my worry is that if I slightly open up that my defensive record will be shattered and I'll start losing games 3-2 and 4-3. I have no issues making tactics suited towards top teams but getting there is my issue. I generally struggle with producing counter attacking/mid-block tactics and even more so at a team predicted to finish 17th. I want to be more progressive, our tactic began to get found out last year and I feel I need to change things up.

Do you guys have any advice for slowing progressing a tactic based off of the quality of your players improving? How do you keep defensive solidity whilst committing more men forward over time? And what is the best attacking style suited towards teams generally at the foot of the table, but looking to progress?

2 hours ago, Jiggins said:

How do you keep defensive solidity

By the optimal distance between the D-line and LOE paired with a balanced setup of roles and duties (relative to the formation I am using). 

whilst committing more men forward over time?

What specifically do you mean by "committing more men forward? More attack duties overall? Or more attack-minded roles (for example, WB instead of FB or mezzala instead of BBM and so on)? Or a higher team mentality? 

And what is the best attacking style suited towards teams generally at the foot of the table, but looking to progress?

One that optimally suits your players in terms of their strengths and weaknesses.