iMac 5k match engine performance.

Hi,

I have a 5k iMac with 8 core i9, 16gb ram and 8gb 580x card in it. I assumed it would mince Football Manager and on the processing front, it is! The match engine is a different story, however.

The game says my computer's graphics capability is high but the only way I can get a buttery smooth frame rate is to dump everything on to the lowest settings and turn off the crowd. I play the game at 125% zoom as standard. If I change it to a higher level, it doesn't smoothen things out. 

Also, when I change the level of zoom and carry on playing, the match engine (regardless of quality level) turns into pure potato quality. Everything is blurry and the resolution goes in the toilet but, and this is a big but, the game runs smooth as a nut- even on the highest settings - it just looks like a potato. Any ideas, or is this expected on the 5k display?

I would add the post script that I've tried the game on an m1 MacBook and the match engine is fine- even at the highest settings!

Edited by elchapo92
extra information.

17 minutes ago, elchapo92 said:

Hi,

I have a 5k iMac with 8 core i9, 16gb ram and 8gb 580x card in it. I assumed it would mince Football Manager and on the processing front, it is! The match engine is a different story, however.

The game says my computer's graphics capability is high but the only way I can get a buttery smooth frame rate is to dump everything on to the lowest settings and turn off the crowd. I play the game at 125% zoom as standard. If I change it to a higher level, it doesn't smoothen things out. 

Also, when I change the level of zoom and carry on playing, the match engine (regardless of quality level) turns into pure potato quality. Everything is blurry and the resolution goes in the toilet but, and this is a big but, the game runs smooth as a nut- even on the highest settings - it just looks like a potato. Any ideas, or is this expected on the 5k display?

I would add the post script that I've tried the game on an m1 MacBook and the match engine is fine- even at the highest settings!

One of these situations where its nothing to do with the processor, graphics card or Ram.

Rather its the scaling of thr resolition to 5k for the retina display.

1. it out of the game if it’s currently running
  2. Go to the Finder in Mac OS X and navigate to the /Applications/ folder
  3. Locate the game(s) you want to improve the performance of by reducing resolution, then hit Command + i to open Get Info for the game app (altnernatively, go to the File menu and choose “Get Info” when the app is selected)
  4. Check the box for “Open in Low Resolution” then close the Get Info window

Alternatively try change the game resolution in the display settings in the preferences in football manager.

50 minutes ago, Smurf said:

One of these situations where its nothing to do with the processor, graphics card or Ram.

Rather its the scaling of thr resolition to 5k for the retina display.

1. it out of the game if it’s currently running
  2. Go to the Finder in Mac OS X and navigate to the /Applications/ folder
  3. Locate the game(s) you want to improve the performance of by reducing resolution, then hit Command + i to open Get Info for the game app (altnernatively, go to the File menu and choose “Get Info” when the app is selected)
  4. Check the box for “Open in Low Resolution” then close the Get Info window

Alternatively try change the game resolution in the display settings in the preferences in football manager.

Thanks for the reply,

Started it in low-res mode and it is running smoother but the game looks like my anus, now :( 

Is there any way to force the game to a set resolution (1080.1440) or do I just have to accept that the 5k display is not ideal for what I'm asking.

Worst case scenario: I run the game in low settings at 5k with no crowd. 

Loading it at low res as I have makes it look like a Nintendo 64 game.

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, elchapo92 said:

Thanks for the reply,

Started it in low-res mode and it is running smoother but the game looks like my anus, now :(

Is there any way to force the game to a set resolution (1080.1440) or do I just have to accept that the 5k display is not ideal for what I'm asking.

Worst case scenario: I run the game in low settings at 5k with no crowd. 

Loading it at low res as I have makes it look like a Nintendo 64 game.

You can change the system display resolution to something non-retina using a tool like Retina Display Monitor for Macs: https://github.com/avibrazil/RDM

At your selected resolution using that, this effectively turns off the retina scaling system wide so it would improve performance. 

It's worth making sure you've installed all OS updates as well if you can.

As for troubleshooting in-game, the crowd is usually the biggest taxing thing, so if you turned that off (or used 2D classic) you should see better performance generally. 

Try both of those, and if you can, support a support ticket here: https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Please provide your system details so we can investigate and share all of the information that you have here. 

And we'll look into it.