[FM20] How to grab the last top league winner from host nation?

Carlito85

I'm trying to recreate the current 7-team format of the Club World Cup and need to grab the league winner from the host nation to take part but can't find the right instruction for it. I keep getting a random team from the 2nd division.

Can anyone help?

Edited by Carlito85

Worst case scenario, when you're done editing make multiple versions that rotate every few years and just tell it to "get last winner" from that specific league (J-League, Stars League etc), maybe with "runner-up as back-up" if needed (assuming "last winner" of AFC Champions League is a higher spot). This method is onerous but allows for more control over specific stadia, format tweaks per specific year etc

19 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Worst case scenario, when you're done editing make multiple versions that rotate every few years and just tell it to "get last winner" from that specific league (J-League, Stars League etc), maybe with "runner-up as back-up" if needed (assuming "last winner" of AFC Champions League is a higher spot). This method is onerous but allows for more control over specific stadia, format tweaks per specific year etc

Thanks for the reply.

Is this the only possible method? I mean that would definitely work but I'd probably have to create around 10 different versions that rotate every 10 years or so to accommodate all of the host nations lol.

lol I know it's stupid, I guess you could do a 10x version of a far less complex qualifier - i.e., a "Club World Cup qualifier" competition that would just take the "get last winner" from your league in question and add a history record with that team. Then in your Club World Cup just "get last winner" from the created CWC qualifier competition (like how some Super Cups don't add the stage if the same team won both league and cup, but adds a history record with that team anyway)

12 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

lol I know it's stupid, I guess you could do a 10x version of a far less complex qualifier - i.e., a "Club World Cup qualifier" competition that would just take the "get last winner" from your league in question and add a history record with that team. Then in your Club World Cup just "get last winner" from the created CWC qualifier competition (like how some Super Cups don't add the stage if the same team won both league and cup, but adds a history record with that team anyway)

Definitely possible, though I think I'm starting to lean towards a bunch of duplicates. As you said it may be easier when configuring stadiums to use etc. Thanks for the help, bud :thup:

If you're using neutral stadia and setting them in the stadia list in the competition, instead of just using "specific stadium" with offset dates for every round, then both versions will need a full list.

i.e., the Qatari 2019 version will show the Khalifa Stadium or whatever with year 2019 and rotating every 2 years, and also it will show Wembley with 2020 rotating every 2 years. (England 2020 will also show the Qatari stadia)

I believe "host nation" does not use this, though, and the Qatari 2019 version would only show Qatar as "host nation". Same for England 2020 with England.

Make sense? :lol:

4 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

If you're using neutral stadia and setting them in the stadia list in the competition, instead of just using "specific stadium" with offset dates for every round, then both versions will need a full list.

i.e., the Qatari 2019 version will show the Khalifa Stadium or whatever with year 2019 and rotating every 2 years, and also it will show Wembley with 2020 rotating every 2 years. (England 2020 will also show the Qatari stadia)

I believe "host nation" does not use this, though, and the Qatari 2019 version would only show Qatar as "host nation". Same for England 2020 with England.

Make sense? :lol:

:confused:

:lol:

Under "Stadium Rules" I've got Qatar listed as the host nation for 2019 but I left the host stadium pool on that page empty, and instead filled out the stadium list in the "Stadium Pool" page. I then applied the same in the England competition for 2020. Is that wrong?

Edited by Carlito85

Haha I'm not entirely sure to be honest. If you want, just set every round/group date to an offset with a specific time and stadium, that should be foolproof.

I don't think I've used stadium pool, just this method or doing a list of stadia under "stadiums for fixture" on the competition tab (FM18 and 19) which I believe corresponds to either "neutral stadium" or "league stage stadium" if that's specified. That can rotate by year, I may be wrong about what I said above needing to include it in every edition.

Sometimes I wish the coders would just give us a manual or something :mad:

also I believe the inimitable @Dave Fairbairn has clarified that stadium_0 through 12 correspond to the biggest available in the host country

Edited by themodelcitizen

5 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Haha I'm not entirely sure to be honest. If you want, just set every round/group date to an offset with a specific time and stadium, that should be foolproof.

I don't think I've used stadium pool, just this method or doing a list of stadia under "stadiums for fixture" on the competition tab (FM18 and 19) which I believe corresponds to either "neutral stadium" or "league stage stadium" if that's specified. That can rotate by year, I may be wrong about what I said above needing to include it in every edition.

Sometimes I wish the coders would just give us a manual or something :mad:

also I believe the inimitable @Dave Fairbairn has clarified that stadium_0 through 12 correspond to the biggest available in the host country

Cheers for the reply. I'm gonna do a bit of trial and error with that and see if I can do this without breaking it lol. It seems like there are so many different routes to take, getting the right combination can be like finding a needle in a haystack.

9 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Also if it's a group, "league stage stadium 1" will pick a home stadium from one of the participating teams (unless a stadium is set on the competitions tab with a specific league stage set beside it).  Can be useful

Nice. Thanks a lot for the tip :thup:

I think I may have found what was causing the problem to begin with as well. I had the host nations listed under "Possible Host Nations" instead of "Host Nations" lol. Doh!