CM behavior in defense.

I've been running some test matches to try and understand the CM role, and there are times when they behave very strangely in defense. I'm in blue, yellow is down a man and just distributed from the GK. Why are the CM's (#15 and #14) drifting out wide almost on top of the wings, leaving a gaping hole in the middle of the pitch? It happens primarily when the GK distributes. 

image.png.bc898ded1fd1a8259c7bc0b4c004af9f.png

Here is the tactic I was using in that match, there is little in the way of PIs:

image.png.63dfb1e9de1246173ae7b777ff651c96.png

image.png.a8ba937834520fe4742f978a41e8db7e.png

Edited by fivetwelvepony

52 minutes ago, fivetwelvepony said:

It happens primarily when the GK distributes

Based on what I've heard from people who have that same problem, the most likely reason is the Prevent short GK distribution TI (very possibly a ME bug). But given that I personally haven't used that instruction when playing in any system other than top-heavy 4231 or 424, I haven't experienced anything like that, so cannot claim anything for sure. 

Btw, it's also strange that your wingers and midfielders are not positioned higher up the pitch, given your extremely aggressive out-of-possession TIs (unless you play on a low team mentality). 

46 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Based on what I've heard from people who have that same problem, the most likely reason is the Prevent short GK distribution TI (very possibly a ME bug). But given that I personally haven't used that instruction when playing in any system other than top-heavy 4231 or 424, I haven't experienced anything like that, so cannot claim anything for sure. 

Btw, it's also strange that your wingers and midfielders are not positioned higher up the pitch, given your extremely aggressive out-of-possession TIs (unless you play on a low team mentality). 

Thanks, I'll try taking it off. I was on a balanced mentality.