Current and Potential Ability Star Ratings

Hey mods and devs, I have a question.

When Newgens are produced at my club, they have a PA and CA rating between 0.5 and 5 — for the purposes of this post I will call a one star potential 1PA etc. I know that this is my <staff member offering the opinion> view of the player they're assessing current and potential ability comparative to other players in similar positions, e.g., my youth strikers rating against other strikers at the club.

I have a Newgen striker at my club with 1CA and 2.5PA. I can assume that the 1CA is relative to the CA of the strikers already here. However, is his 2.5PA relative to the potential of the other strikers or the current ability of the other strikers? 

I ask because the most CA of any of my strikers at the moment is 3CA so if this Newgen is 2.5PA and that is rated against the current ability of the strikers I have then great, he's worth keeping. However, the 3CA striker has a 4.5PA, so if the Newgen with 2.5PA is rated against the potential ability of the other strikers then he might not be worth persisting with.

Hopefully this makes sense?

4 hours ago, fmFutbolManager said:

I ask because the most CA of any of my strikers at the moment is 3CA so if this Newgen is 2.5PA and that is rated against the current ability of the strikers I have then great, he's worth keeping. However, the 3CA striker has a 4.5PA, so if the Newgen with 2.5PA is rated against the potential ability of the other strikers then he might not be worth persisting with.

I am ot mod or dev, but you seem confused about rather simple thing. CA is CA and PA is PA.  Everything is compared to your CA, that is the ability you have currently in your team. Your 2.5PA newgen can be pretty close to your current 3CA striker in terms of ability if he fulfill your potential. If your 3CA striker fulfills his 4,5PA then that will be the new CA and your newgen will be compared to that so it's likely that 2,5 stars will drop because your first striker set the new standard.

1 hour ago, yolixeya said:

I am ot mod or dev, but you seem confused about rather simple thing. CA is CA and PA is PA.  Everything is compared to your CA, that is the ability you have currently in your team. Your 2.5PA newgen can be pretty close to your current 3CA striker in terms of ability if he fulfill your potential. If your 3CA striker fulfills his 4,5PA then that will be the new CA and your newgen will be compared to that so it's likely that 2,5 stars will drop because your first striker set the new standard.

You sound so sure, but this isn't what I'm seeing in the game. Which makes me think there's more at play here that we will perhaps never find out.

I have two strikers in my first team squad: striker A has a 4 star 139PA and striker B has a 2.5 star 150CA.. If everything is compared to CA, then surely striker A would have around 2 star PA as his potential ability is much lower than the current ability of the players he's compared with.

1 hour ago, fmFutbolManager said:

You sound so sure, but this isn't what I'm seeing in the game. Which makes me think there's more at play here that we will perhaps never find out.

I have two strikers in my first team squad: striker A has a 4 star 139PA and striker B has a 2.5 star 150CA.. If everything is compared to CA, then surely striker A would have around 2 star PA as his potential ability is much lower than the current ability of the players he's compared with.

You said that you are aware that the stars are your staff offering opinion, so they can be wrong. I often see my staff change their opinion especially for very young players.

I sound sure because that is what I'm seeing, when my players get better, star potential of my prospects can drop because they have new standard to be compared to. Some of them won't which means that they have potential higher even then that.

Also it just seems logical that they are compared to CA. Why you would compare your players to what some of your players could have been?

Of course I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm on point here.