I need help with my Aston Villa save

First off, you have way too many instructions, most of which are needless.

Secondly, playing (any kind) of gegenpress is not really a good idea with a team such as Villa (just promoted to the EPL).

Then, your flanks are literally mirroring each other in terms of roles and duties. A bit of variety certainly would not hurt. 

Basically, the tactic needs a complete overhaul IMHO. It should be a lot simpler in terms of instructions and better balanced in terms of roles/duties.

If you are interested in more specific advice on how I would set it up and why, please let me know :thup:

1 hour ago, Davey Boy said:

Yes please, fire way mate. I 'd love to hear more,

Okay. So taking into account what I wrote in my previous post, here are some ideas on how you could utilize your deep 4231 formation with a team like Villa.

First, the 42dm31 formation is good because the presence of 2 DMs potentially allows your fullbacks to get forward more and thus support your attacks by providing width up front. Of course, this also depends on which roles you assign to your DMs. In your current setup - with DLPde and BWMsu - this is how I would set up the flanks:

IW/IFsu                                   Wat

DLPde/su  BWMsu

FBat                                     WBsu

Do you see the difference compared to your setup? First, you now have variety on the flanks. But not only that. On the left, the combo of an attacking FB and IW/IF on support duty creates the so-called natural overlap, with the DLP providing defensive cover for the fullback (along with his playmaking duties). On the right, only the AMR has been changed from the IF on attack into a winger on attack. This way, you have one role on each flank that primarily looks to provide width up front and deliver crosses into the box for those attacking from central areas.

So that was the first part of my tactical advice. Tomorrow, I'll come to discuss other aspects (because there is pretty much).

A few thoughts I've had (but I'm looking forward to @Experienced Defender 's full analysis as there are many things which could be worked on in this tactic):

• In general, there are just too many TIs - many of which aren't complementary. Narrow attacking with a focus through the middle but also wingbacks and overlaps?
  • Instructing IFs to Stay Wider while also looking to force overloads down the flanks (rather than letting them occur naturally) seems odd - aren't they going to be getting in each other's way/occupying the same space?
  • I would leave crosses on default to bring Wesley's aerial strength into play more
  • High lines with a top-heavy attacking formation; yet Pass into space is active. There will be typically be minimal space for players to actually pass into with this and you'll just end up losing the ball.
  • This is a very aggressive tactic, with an attacking mentality plus exceptionally aggressive pressing and high defensive lines. Have you been playing this approach away from home in big matches (I see you've lost away to Tottenham, Leicester & Man City)? If so, I'm not surprised you're struggling as there are going to be absolute acres of space on the flanks (with two attacking IFs and positive WB roles) which any team who can beat or by-pass your pressing will be able to exploit. I imagine your only saving grace so far has been that you have a more solid 4-2-3-1 DM rather than 4-2-3-1 CM and that your CBs are at least fairly quick so balls over the top will be less effective. Even at home you're generally struggling and these have been matches against weaker teams. Fundamentally, I think this is far too aggressively attacking a tactic for a team like a newly-promoted Villa but the formation itself is suitable. I managed decent top six/seven finishes with Norwich in the first couple of seasons with a 4-2-3-1 DM, albeit focused more on patient possession at home and counter-attacking away.

With regards to @Experienced Defender's suggested setup above - it might also be worth checking which of Trezeguet or Bowen has the better wrong-foot and making that player the winger. I know Bowen is a great IF from AMR but if I remember correctly his right foot isn't great; so if Trezeguet is left footed or has a stronger left foot than Bowen's right foot and his crossing isn't dire then I would make him the Winger and flip the suggested setup.

Edited by False Nein

On 22/01/2020 at 00:35, Experienced Defender said:

Okay. So taking into account what I wrote in my previous post, here are some ideas on how you could utilize your deep 4231 formation with a team like Villa.

First, the 42dm31 formation is good because the presence of 2 DMs potentially allows your fullbacks to get forward more and thus support your attacks by providing width up front. Of course, this also depends on which roles you assign to your DMs. In your current setup - with DLPde and BWMsu - this is how I would set up the flanks:

IW/IFsu                                   Wat

DLPde/su  BWMsu

FBat                                     WBsu

Do you see the difference compared to your setup? First, you now have variety on the flanks. But not only that. On the left, the combo of an attacking FB and IW/IF on support duty creates the so-called natural overlap, with the DLP providing defensive cover for the fullback (along with his playmaking duties). On the right, only the AMR has been changed from the IF on attack into a winger on attack. This way, you have one role on each flank that primarily looks to provide width up front and deliver crosses into the box for those attacking from central areas.

So that was the first part of my tactical advice. Tomorrow, I'll come to discuss other aspects (because there is pretty much).

Never mind, mate. I started a new Villa save and i'm doing very well.