Play out of defence and ballplaying defenders

19 minutes ago, Tryllefot said:

Is there a contradiction in using team instruction "play out of defence" and using ballplaying defenders at the same time? I see a tendencies of "ball hoofing" from the back. Should I change them to CD?

He is probably not good enough to play the ball out of defence. I have ball playing defenders who bring the ball all the way to the flanks and get assists, because these players can dribble, have good first touch, passing decisions and vision. So if have a poor player then you could have some issues like aimless hoofs

52 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

He is probably not good enough to play the ball out of defence. I have ball playing defenders who bring the ball all the way to the flanks and get assists, because these players can dribble, have good first touch, passing decisions and vision. So if have a poor player then you could have some issues like aimless hoofs

Would you consider Ruben Diaz and Declan Rice as good enough?

The ball playing defender is a role in the game that brings the ball out of defence, he is also a player that depends heavily on attributes. In some cases they can even bring the ball down the flanks. 

While the role  certainly plays direct passes, it doesn't mean he does this all the time. In order for you to use this role effectively you need to make sure he has all the right attributes including decisions, first touch, dribbling, passing, vision. When using the role you also need to make sure that you aren't playing too high up the pitch with a very high defensive line, doing so compresses the pitch. You usually end up having issues when using the BPD in such a fashion.

So if you want to use a BPD effectively you need to make sure that your roles and duties are set up correctly. I have used BPDs in systems which employ only a 2 man backline and they have worked successfully there too.

Here with this BPD he is in a system which has 2 BPDs and achieves 85-90% pass completion with a variety of passes both short and long. So when using a BPD you need to recognise that you are after a role that can bring the ball out of defence to give you options. So you need to give him options.Leite1.thumb.jpg.0b6d54367f30dfa46bb12ba9dc102d5a.jpg