[FM20] Challenge Leagues (Released)

Challenge League Collection

image.thumb.png.d7ab5e7d33789a5507ae39b1fbc1dd52.png

In the course of rebuilding the former Scandinavian Royal League and British Royal League for FM20 after many requests, I decided to expand and alter the competitions this year having finally worked out the kinks in assigning team to correct competitions.

Formats are the groups of four, eight teams progressing to QF's as usual, but I've added a couple of regions where teams seldom go deep in Champions League or Europa League or even the new Europa Conference

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.234353c2b3f6122abee4f08d831566de.png

Nordic Challenge League:

3 Teams from Norway, Denmark and Sweden, with 1 team from Finland, Iceland and Faroe respectively.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.95ec37222a5766f83930967becfde6e9.png

British Challenge League:

3 Teams from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. (English teams are restricted to U23 players only)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.157017cfda41c88c925d7b7f09809262.png

Balkan Challenge League:

3 Teams from Serbia, Croatia and Romania, with 1 team from Albania, North Macedonia, Bosnia & Herz, Bulgaria, Kosovo and Montenegro respectively.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.75efb6df077ff482ab6d849b2c2e7c7b.png

Western Challenge League:

3 Teams from Belgium, Austria, Switzerland and Czech Republic

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.047d8ea729ea56ba5d06cf7bb69e30a0.png

Eastern Challenge League

3 Teams from Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia and Hungary

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1e2843cf6fb87f84a27c1d16170119e5.png

Awards:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7ac3c34441095350e4caf5cb4119880b.png

History added to fill gap to Nordic League predecessor the former Royal League

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c2710e8c0b41d2bc2e6fc97bfc91ecaa.png

Couple of things left to add:

1. Awards for each tournament (GK, Def, Mid, Fwd and Player of Tournament)
  2. Make sure Final rotates through each country with a nominated 'Host Stadium' each year
  3. Check no obvious clashes with international breaks
  4. Tidy up competition names and cosmetic issues. Consider sponsors for realism.
  5. Knock up some logo's (or beg someone competent to)

Edited by WynnZeroOne
Updates

If the Royal League is supposed to be for Nordic countries, Poland is out of place, and should be substituted by Denmark.

Alternately, since Finland is sometimes not considered a Nordic country, then the setup is 3 from Sweden and Denmark, 2 from Norway, Iceland and Faroes.

Tournaments with fixed number of places per country have the disadvantage of not reflecting the changes in football over time. It is well known that countries with active leagues fare better than those without, so given enough seasons (100-200) it is entirely possible to turn Iceland into a superpower with 100,000 seat stadiums, but their Royal League status would be as lowly as ever.

Edited by valve

1 hour ago, valve said:

If the Royal League is supposed to be for Nordic countries, Poland is out of place, and should be substituted by Denmark.

Alternately, since Finland is sometimes not considered a Nordic country, then the setup is 3 from Sweden and Denmark, 2 from Norway, Iceland and Faroes.

Tournaments with fixed number of places per country have the disadvantage of not reflecting the changes in football over time. It is well known that countries with active leagues fare better than those without, so given enough seasons (100-200) it is entirely possible to turn Iceland into a superpower with 100,000 seat stadiums, but their Royal League status would be as lowly as ever.

I think in your haste to dismiss and complain you have failed to read or check any of what's been shared.

Poland doesn't play in the Royal League, plays in an Eastern European League.

The Royal League still has Sweden, Denmark and Norway, but people wanted me to involve Iceland, Finland and Faroe as an expansion as far back as FM16. Hence, the use of the three smaller nations.

Technically, Finland isn't located in the geographic area known as Scandinavia, but when discussing culture Finland is often labeled as Scandinavian and understandably so, though the more correct and inclusive term would be Nordic, featuring Iceland, too. I've only lived in Sweden and Denmark for 15 years off and on, so I'm comfortable with my interpretation.

There will as usual be a version with Sweden, Denmark, Iceland and Norway. 3 from Each. But whereas I normally do two Royal League variants and a British Royal League, I've spent time expanding to other regions this time before releasing versions.

Fixed places per country is a limitation of FM and the editor. When coefficients work it'll be updated, but they don't, so the game is limited to fixed spaces. Until then it is what it is.

Do you have any constructive feedback?

Edited by WynnZeroOne