Air Miles challenge

kevhamster

lYexF9B.png

Well, that's infuriating.  We took the lead against Shepherd's United, then lost the lead, had two players sent off and then a late winner.

The Switi Islanders match was just poor.

We were in a commanding position at the end of March.  Now, we really need to win both matches and hope that Shepherds United lose at least one.  Basically, it's no longer in our hands when really we should have wrapped it up.  :seagull:

Qe2mLFM.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gUviYNf.png

The last game would have been a very tense affair.  However, Shepherds United had played 2 games before this one kicked off, and thanks to them picking up only one point, the win against Narak Tegapu had meant we'd already won the title before our last game kicked off.

So, we're going to be in the Premier League next season!

9ByOBBy.png

Air Miles calculation

As previously mentioned, Vanuatu was ranked 164th at the start of the pre-season.  That gave us a ranking modifier of 1.36.

We won 9 games.  Short season modifier was again 1.875.  The trophy win (division championship) doubles the earned miles.

So we win 229.5 miles this season, so we now have 309.94 in total.  This now means New Caledonia is in range.  I've added the league for that country, however it won't actually load in until February 2021 and given we're only just touching the very edge of the country, I suspect that any jobs which come up may not actually be within range.

z5HY0hY.png

5 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Air Miles calculation

As previously mentioned, Vanuatu was ranked 164th at the start of the pre-season.  That gave us a ranking modifier of 1.36.

We won 9 games.  Short season modifier was again 1.875.  The trophy win (division championship) doubles the earned miles.

So we win 229.5 miles this season, so we now have 309.94 in total.  This now means New Caledonia is in range.  I've added the league for that country, however it won't actually load in until February 2021 and given we're only just touching the very edge of the country, I suspect that any jobs which come up may not actually be within range.

z5HY0hY.png

Great season and possibly New Caledonia could be an upgrade from Vanuatu!

Just now, TerminalPortugal said:

Great season and possibly New Caledonia could be an upgrade from Vanuatu!

Indeed!  I'm hoping to get enough so the entire country is covered at the end of next season.  Currently, less than half is within range.  Of course, it could be like Vanuatu where most teams play at one stadium.  I also noticed looking at the Port Vila map, that one of the other stadia in use in the Vanuatu league is actually within walking distance of the Municipal Stadium used by the vast majority of the teams.

2020/21 - Lakotau FC - Vanuatuan Port Vila Premier Division

VNQluR7.png

Following a pre-season where many signings have been made (largely thanks to us now being able to attract a Director of Football), the odds have shifted somewhat.  We're still 200-1 for the title and expected to go down, but Siwi have replaced us in the media's predicted bottom slot.

The board want us to bravely fight against relegation. 

n257tSq.png

Pre-season was pretty decent.  The draw against Blacksands Eagles was fairly poor, and the 3-1 loss against Tafea was to be expected, as they are the current champions of Vanuatu, and finished in 2nd the season before so they are clearly one of the best teams this little island nation has to offer!  We didn't disgrace ourself in defeat, and the DoF has made a number of good quality signings for us since that game took place so I'm hopeful we can do a little bit better next time we encounter them.

VZTCR5U.png

We had a disappointing exit from the cup at the hands of a Lower Division team, but in the league we got 7 points from 4 games which has to be seen as a decent haul.

The league is looking pretty good right now.

jmQZgU9.png

zbhSM26.png

An excellent month.  Started with a win against Amicale, which was a result nobody would have predicted.  Two very solid wins followed - the winner against Siwi was scored deep into stoppage time in a match we'd actually gone behind in.

The loss against Tafea wasn't a great surprise as they are, by some distance, the best team in the league.  We were really unlucky not to get a point, as their keeper made an unbelievable save to preserve their lead.

As things stand, the league is looking pretty sweet.  Just hoping we can keep it up!

FDy0pjG.png

DUWIQhT.png

Just the one match in February.  In all honesty, a draw is a disappointing result.  We were the better team by quite some distance, but were wasteful in front of goal.

We're back down to 3rd, but with 2 games in hand over Amicale, still have a good chance of overtaking them as long as we can keep up the good performances.

At this point, I don't think Tafea will be caught.  They're too good and with the points advantage they have it would take an almightly collapse in form for them to be overtaken.

WfCl2Qd.png

FC1UMjV.png

A poor month.  We weren't good enough against Ifira but came close to salvaging a result.  We were punished by Erakor, who were happy to seize upon very slack passing around our own 18 yard box for two of their goals, but were equally as inept in attack.

A good win against struggling Spirit 08 saved March from being a complete bomb.

More luck than judgement means we're still in contention for continental competition qualification.

ihFCB2U.png

IDtI1CD.png

My first interview offer of the save.  I've declined.

They are a bigger club techincally, but they're rock bottom of the division and we're in contention for 2nd, so I really don't see the logic of moving at this time.

Cqwht9j.png

April was a better month.  Sadly, it was also a good month for Amicale and their close 2-1 win over us seems them leapfrog us into 2nd place.  Overtaking them is probably going to be tough, so the focus simply has to be finishing as strongly as we can and seeing what happens.

xZcAil4.png

andLVSJ.png

Two good wins to start the month.  Teouma Academy took the lead 3 times, and we managed to fight back each time.  It was 3-3 at the break, and we managed a late winner to finish with an excellent result against a team which would have overtaken us had we lost.

We also had to come from behind against Erakor, and were 1-0 down at the half-time break.  A much improved second half saw us earn the 3 points.

Then we had to finish up against Tafea, who also needed the win with Amicale breathing down their necks.  Tafea turned on the style and we had no answer, even after they went down to 10 men with more than 30 minutes remaining.

We have sadly fallen short of O-League qualification, but seeing as we were favourites for relegation before the season began, we can hardly be disappointed with a 3rd place finish.  We also have the best goalscoring record in the division, so that's a positive as well.

N0cCZqe.png

Air Miles calculation

Vanuatu were ranked 162nd in the world at the start of pre-season, which gives us a multiplier of 1.39x.

12 wins (including one cup game) and a short season modifier of 1.429, gives us an additional 119.1 air miles this season, bringing the total to 429.1.

I now have the option of any club in New Caledonia should one come up, as the radius covers the entire country.  That could well be an attractive move, as they're currently ranked higher than Vanuatu on the world stage and are that little bit closer to Australia and New Zealand, which are both countries which could really help me drive up my reputation.

7VCGfCA.png

I've bagged my Contintental C.....  However, the board are refusing to allow me to take the next one as they're worried about this making me more attractive to bigger clubs.

Decision time... do I start looking elsewhere now??

29 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I've bagged my Contintental C.....  However, the board are refusing to allow me to take the next one as they're worried about this making me more attractive to bigger clubs.

Decision time... do I start looking elsewhere now??

Is New Caledonia better ranked than Vanuatu, if so I would say go for it.

46 minutes ago, TerminalPortugal said:

Is New Caledonia better ranked than Vanuatu, if so I would say go for it.

They are - currently 147th, with Vanuatu 155th so there's not much in it.

Just one question, which you may have an insight to.  New Caledonia officially got added 5 months ago, and the season's been ongoing since early April but the vast majority of clubs are without a manager still.  Is this normal, or did I miss something when I added the league?

9 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

They are - currently 147th, with Vanuatu 155th so there's not much in it.

Just one question, which you may have an insight to.  New Caledonia officially got added 5 months ago, and the season's been ongoing since early April but the vast majority of clubs are without a manager still.  Is this normal, or did I miss something when I added the league?

Yeah it is pretty normal in fairness, happens quite a lot where they take ages to get a new manager in. The moment you move there they tend to speed up with hiring managers weirdly.

I've applied for jobs a couple of jobs.  Apparently, they work very slowly in New Caledonia as I've not heard anything back and I applied 2 months ago in game time!

So, onto planning for the new season with Lakotau....

Vanuatu are now 157th in the world at the pre-season start.  This gives the air miles a modifier of 1.46, which is the highest since the save began.

9ukntDE.png

Good luck with the job hunt!

Think I'll try an air miles challenge for my next save. Having to use claasens db files though, as I've been having issues installing the Riddler's megapack - think I read that it maybe because I missed out on FM18.

15 minutes ago, psychonaut said:

Good luck with the job hunt!

Think I'll try an air miles challenge for my next save. Having to use claasens db files though, as I've been having issues installing the Riddler's megapack - think I read that it maybe because I missed out on FM18.

I think Classen's DB files only included European countries for FM19, and to be fair Riddler's pack does make use of Claasen's work for Europe.

There have been some issues - I had to restart the save at the outset because of the dates used for the transfer and registration window would have meant playing the first part of the first season with greyed out players (although that would have been true of the AI teams as well).  I edited the window dates in the editor data file and then restarted.

Also, nothing seems to be happening with regards to the jobs at New Caledonian clubs.  I've applied for 3 - one of them said it their interview process had already finished and I've heard nothing from the other 2 several weeks down the line, but none of the clubs have actually hired a manager and as far as I can see very few, if any, of the teams in that country have actually hired a manager at this point.  I can't say for sure it's a DB issue though - TerminalPortugal said he'd seen similar, but the roles started filling if he moved into the country.

As for the Air Miles challenge, it puts a nice spin on the usual career save and gave me the inspiration to start somewhere a bit unusual.  It's been a blast so far, and the football at this relatively low level is an enjoyable kind of chaos!

PMlbqm1.png

The pre-season was OK.  A couple of duff results in the middle, but overall no major complaints.

Q8aF2hP.png

Solid start to the competitive matches.  We were too strong for newly-promoted Yatel and a very creditable draw against the media's predicted table toppers.

e7aTSLO.png

nWx5M4s.png

One match this month, and one win.  Our goal was from a cracking 20-odd yard free kick.  We were by the far the better team, and should have won by more, especially as Erakor completely lost their heads and ended up with 2 players picking up red cards.

Amicale are staking their place early on, but we're looking good at this point as well.

fTwtKNq.png

VQliJHt.png

With 4 league matches plus a cup match for good measure, it was a busier than usual month.

Tafea was always going to be tough, but this was our best performance against them yet and we didn't deserve to lose.  We were poor against Siaraga though.

A win against Lower Division opposition means we've met the board expectations for the cup in reaching the quarter final.

We end December in an O-League qualification place, but Tafea do have the game in hand and they probably won't drop too many points over the course of the season.

RWNKBrt.png

Board takeover completed and just in time for the transfer window.

They look a typically generous lot with all that cash they've invested. :lol:

On the plus side, there's no mention of them wishing to bring in their own manager.

fDyIOKN.png

DDOu1L2.png

I've never had such conflicting feelings about a month in-game as I have with this one.

On one hand, it looks like a very poor month in the league.  On the other hand, it includes draws against the big two.

On one hand, it looks like the fixture creating computer was trolling us - four games in a week, including two days in a row both with league games.  And the 2nd string gave us our only league win of the month against Erakor.

Two poor results against Siwi.  

But at least we have a semi-final in the Shield to look forward to.

That said, I do think O-League qualification is probably going to elude us, and if I'm right on that I probably will move on at the end of the season.

ZeBf93H.png

5h6Xcmt.png

A poor month in terms of results, although the Siaraga result is better than it appears, given my best midfielder decided he needed an early bath, and earned himself a red card shortly after the 30 minute mark with a two-footed tackle.  Idiot.

We're still in 3rd, however with the teams below us so close and with games in hand we may not stay that way.  Before the season, I'd hoped we may push for O-League qualification.  And whilst that is still possible theoretically, in reality we've probably piddled that away now.

March is a big month though - we face title favourites Amicale and strugglers Yatel in the league, and we have a shield semi-final against Siaraga to look forward to.  Just hope we managed to keep all 11 on the field in this one and give ourselves a fighting chance.

40NFU4i.png

HyhiiAA.png

I though Yatel was going to be another bad day at the office, as we went 2-0 up, but managed to throw this away to go into the break with the score at 2-2.  I gave them a rocket at halftime, and we were 4-2 up on the 48 minute mark.  Yatel scored an 88th minute penalty to make the end of the game very nervy, but we held on to win a really exciting game,

We then booked our place in the cup final.

We unsurprisingly lost to Amicale, who at this point are in a commanding position in the league, but Tafea in reality are breathing down their necks given they have three games in hand.

Oh yeah, we face Amicale in the final :seagull:

mEyMQCB.png

U9bx8vW.png

This was poor.

No surprise with the Tafea match.  We've never really been able to match the top two and never threatened.  I'd have expected us to be better against Teouma Academy, but we weren't.

We should have won against Erakor, but threw away a 3-1 lead.  The draw was also poor for them, as not winning guaranteed their relegation.

We're 6th, although there's very little between us and 3rd and we're also safe from the drop.

I'm just hoping for a better month in May and see if we can finally get a win against Amicale when we meet them in the Shield final at the end of the season.

DQFDDA3.png

dixR4AP.png

The league ended in the sort of poor form we've seen in recent times.  We threw away a 2-0 lead against Siwi, and the rolled over against Siaraga in a match where the scoreline flattered us considerably.

I held no hope for us in the final against Amicale, and was surprised when we took the league.  Less so when they equalised.  But, we matched them and actually played really well and took it to penalties.  We missed our first kick, so naturally I thought we'd bottle it.  The remaining 4 players slotted their kicks away and for the last 2 of Amicale's, our keeper saved their 4th and their last player capitulated to the pressure and skied his kick.  And so we pulled off quite the upset to lift the trophy.

Amicale had one last cup final to play. as their final game was a title decider against Tafea.  That one ended in a 1-1 draw and saw them lose that battle too and see Tafea win the league for the 3rd consecutive season.

rFJ9r2M.png

Air Miles calculation:

Vanuatu were ranked 157th at the start of the season, giving us a multiplier of 1.46. 

We had a cup win and 10 wins all season, and with the short season multiplier of 1.429 our total miles for the season are 208.6.  Adding to our previous total of 429.1, we now have 637.7.

This means the circle now touches the very edge of the Solomon Islands.

HlYrzfY.png

I've decided to end my time at Lakotau on the high of the cup win.  The aim is to get a job in New Caledonia, but I'm still having the issue where applications are taking forever to be responded to.  Hopefully I'll get offered something.

v6wiGgk.png

Hmmm, wondering if something is broken with the save,  I'm in January and still no response.  There's also three jobs in Vanuatu which have remained unfilled since the end of last season.

My travels from Port Vila in Vanuatu to Thio in New Caledonia has used 301.2 miles, meaning my balance is 336.5.

image.thumb.png.ea98e37d259ff5b6f00cc266f0efdaac.png

New Caledonia are 142nd at the start of pre-season, giving me a modifier of 1.7x.

NgHgKDz.png

Expectations-wise, the board want it all pretty much - O-League qualification (which means finishing at least 2nd), and to reach the final of the New Caledonian Cup.

The media predicts us to finish 2nd.

KRmVlaa.png

Archived