Air Miles Man - Back to Civilisation

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

f4fff78052722a116b0ec12daaa4391a.png

The FFA Cup semi final comes around and I was pretty worried considering the amount of personnel that has left the club, but I needn't have been worried as we romped all over Adelaide United, winning out 7-2 in the end, as we advance to the final.

3fb834edc607b448a05a51a171e19801.png

Champions League semi final time again and I feel pretty confident in saying that we will be progressing to another final as we take Shandong down 6-1 at home. Weird things can happen in football but with this kind of advantage we should be getting through.

338141048f3cb34f41f6990207a8fe2e.png

This game was already over before the whistle even went to kickoff, but as we got off to a 2 goal lead, it really was an exercise in keeping the ball. In fairness to Shandong they were probably our equal this game, but we took our chances, and punished them as they went forward. We are through to another Champions League Final. A fantastic achievement for the club.

c9b5279fa1988a84a96cfa5b8673c5b8.png

The first month of the season could not have gone much better, with the overhaul in playing staff due to the wage cap problem, I was fearful that we drop down a performance level or two but if anything we arguably look better than ever before. We reached teh FFA Cup final and Champions League final and started the league season with two wins out of two. A manager can't really ask for much more than that.

f7830ec97f896df4ba3d29b4cb2f35de.png

We top the table, the likely contenders have all had indifferent starts albeit Melbourne City played us so someone had to drop points. Wellington at the lofty heights of 8th after picking up a point from their first two games. Good going on the Kiwis!

ff814dff5a317a331e7658da83156eba.png

Well this month we drew more than we won, so a little worrying, but at the same time we have not had the rub of the green in these matches as we have been the better side. If the form continues the results will come.

3028cf60190b704b61e7e277623c5bac.png

For the first time in a very long time we are playing catch up, if only that we are a point behind Melbourne City after 6 games played.

707b2370db53ceec1b9b2eefe9664d16.png

Whoever said you have to games of football to win football trophies lied as we win the AFC Champions League on away goals after a 2-2 draw. Things were looking bad when Al-Hilal got 2-0 up in the first half, but two late first half goals changed the complexion of the match completely, and suddenly Al-Hilal were playing catch up. We defended and defended, and almost gave them a goal a few mins from time but they couldn't put that chances away. 

CENTRAL COAST MARINERS ARE ASIAN CHAMPIONS!!!

giphy.gif

984c24f2774578a2e68d5c2c34b4cb40.png

We really made this very difficult for ourselves by getting two players sent off, and it was an onslaught from the Mexicans attempting to get into the game. Fortunately they only scored late on, if they'd scored earlier I'm not sure we would have seen it out, but we are through to the semi finals of the Club World Cup.

f18ac437b1e0aeae9db6b7adf1cad293.png

An incredibly congested December comes to an end, and all in all it was a good month. We won two trophies in the FFA Cup and Champions League and league form has been pretty good. The main blip was the away loss to Melbourne City whom we are definately in a title battle with.

3e8976f4ba4740d448fef7b128313000.png

Still a point behind Melbourne City with 10 games played.

f8a6b50ab8b02e843f54f3512652cf79.png

January is in the books, and we had a good month. We did draw the derby against Newcastle but they scored an equaliser in injury time, sometimes these things happen.

d49f24e3cf89a7bc42a12bb2037e00ee.png

We are now two points clear of Melbourne City, as the title race heats up as we pass the half way stage.

13 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Maybe it's time to give yourself the power of veto over any signings? 

Maybe from next season I will take control of transfers at the Central Coast, presuming I am still here. It is really a problem that is mostly confined to the wage cap leagues, I actually think it's a soft bug. You see We have a wage budget of £55k per week, but can only spend £31.5k per week due to the cap unless you get Designated Players and we never do, so I think the DoF only takes into account how much below budget we are.

Anyway its been frustrating, but we needed the challenge anyway in Australia.

83e02a6db1c30a9fe4ce032d7a4e39bc.png

February is complete, and the only thing that hampered a potentially perfect month was a draw against Melbourne City. We did start off our Champions League campaign in the best possible fashion with a 2-0 win in Japan.

ec3abc91ecc8f4faccfc8ebc9b3a730a.png

We are now a fair bit clear of Melbourne City, to be honest their draw with us kept them in contention but it is looking like the title might be returning to Gosford.

2ef1bce2fa6b87f75c768b7cc4a2e524.png

Both ourselves and Guangzhou started with wins in the Champions League.

c6bc49717878f6e356edfa918b7c9bbd.png

We complete March, and secured another Regular Season crown. It happened just before the derby when Melbourne were unable to win their game, and this handed us the title without a ball being kicked from our side. Perhaps it affected us as we drew against bitter rivals Newcastle 3-3. The Champions League is going very much to plan with a 4-0 win against Guangzhou and a 7-2 humiliation of Ulsan in South Korea.

3a83471c7f7ca053270499f717d67743.png

Confirmation that we are champions again, and 14 points ahead of Melbourne City. They only managed to gain 3 points this last month as they have clearly gone to pot.

53a3aa3a8667af0737d2b7214858faaf.png

One more win and we should be through our group without too much issue.

Any chance you could throw up a screen of Kavanagh and Wilson? Curious how good they are as players

And nice work so far, going to save up until you can make a massive move or first sign of a good league and you'll leap over? :) 

2 minutes ago, wynter said:

Any chance you could throw up a screen of Kavanagh and Wilson? Curious how good they are as players

And nice work so far, going to save up until you can make a massive move or first sign of a good league and you'll leap over? :) 

0f838f20c9fa820e2f4501d232b9ceb4.png

15d66e0eaed6c9f93ba1ffce1b924402.png

Yeah no problems, see above. I would say they are pretty decent players, and I would say Jason Kavanagh has been declining for a couple of years, at first slowly but its pretty noticable now for him.

In terms of moves, the issue really is, being in Australia is a bit of luxury with their high FIFA ranking and managing a good side, we are raking in points. The issue is at the moment we have access to Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia or Brunei and they are all ranked 85th+. For this reason World Ranking is becoming a pretty important factor I am looking at, especially if it is going to take all my miles to move there. I spent something like 17 years in Fiji because it took so long to build up the miles. So I am trying my best to make smart moves, when I move. Early thoughts are Japan, South Korea, Eastern team in Russia, may be workable, but we will see where we can reach. Next time we get points I think the range is going to get weird, and we envelope the other side of Antarctica, so some weird countries might end up near range.

ff23a82eb8bc7ced72826846072aeb02.png

The club want us to sign a new contract but I am unsure at this time. The prospect of taking a step to either of Indonesia, Malaysia or Philippines would probably be a step down but would present some "progress" towards the footballing Mecca that is Europe. I think we will wait untl the season is over and make a decision then as to our future.

f747a30c8cc83e05f079ff3deba5a5d1.png

Well April is in the books and a little bit of May and the league form was pretty good, as we went on our victory tour of the country, as has so often been the mark of our tenure here during this month. We did lose in Sydney, but won well the other games in the league. The Champions League has proved no issue as we beat Consadole and Ulsan and book our place in the next round as group winners.

3749188d6339ba8f3857a2c0af036f07.png

In a year where we expected everyone to get closer to us due to wage cap issues, the challenge in the end never materialised and we win the league by a very large 15 point margin as Melbourne City couldn't sustain their title challenge. There is positive news at the other end of the table for all Kiwi's as Wellington finally produce what can be described as competitive season finishing 9th, as the Western Sydney Wanderers fall to bottom of the table.

8e5252fb9a59bd8156f36dc9b9cdb178.png

Guangzhou have booked passage with us to the next round as runners up of Group G.

908011b3ead4c2e9ecf8326b9a3d1357.png

The Post season semi final will be a derby between us and Newcastle Jets. In general we have got the better of them in most meetings, so this would be good opportunity for them to get their revenge, let's hope that's not the case and we can progress to another Grand Final.

502309436dd23f0631948ee55629d0e1.png

More humiliation for Shanghai SIPG as they get trounced by us in Australia 6-1 and 9-1 on aggregate. Bromage got four to really highlight how much of a threat he is, and filling the boots of Jason Kavanagh nicely. We advance to the next round and that is the final game of the season. After the awards we will be doing our air miles and making a decision on our future.

Archived