How to get AI to man-mark corner short option?

I've played 2/3 of my season now on latest patch, and for each attacking corner I've had one of my players offer short option. Only ONCE have I seen the AI bother to move a player out there to man-mark the short option. That's what I want - for the opposition to move one of their players away from the penalty area and open up space. I've experiemented with several different players (fullbacks, wingers, attackers) offering short option, and it makes no difference. Corner distribution is set to "mixed". Any ideas how I can get this to work?

Sure you can force AI to do what you want. Leave 3 players forward while defending corners, and AI leave 3 players back as well. Same should apply to short corners. If I start taking the corner short every time, then AI should compute that it's best to man-mark the short option.

3 minutes ago, MontyOnTheRun said:

Sure you can force AI to do what you want. Leave 3 players forward while defending corners, and AI leave 3 players back as well

Yes, but they will leave three players back because in such a situation it's in their interest to do that (i.e. prevent your 3 from executing a counter-attack). In fact, if you leave 3 players forward, the AI is likely to leave their 4 back.

But your attacking corner is a completely different situation. Why would they man-mark or close down your player that is offering the short option when the main threat are your players within the box (and potentially just outside the penalty area, if you have anyone there). Btw, there isn't a specific instruction that instructs a player to man-mark the one that offers the short option (which you can see when you defend a corner). There is only the option to tell a player to close down corner, but it's up to the AI to decide if it wants to use it.

Archived