Squad Status

As part of contract negotiations you sometimes need to give higher squad status than you would ideally want to secure the new contract or transfer in. This can lead to you having far higher number of "Key Player", "First Team" status players than you want. I am playing a high pressing tactic which means that I need to regularly rotate the team to ensure that I am fielding a sufficiently fit team - ideally you seem to need two good players for each position if use use a high pressing tactic. So far i have used the highest number of players in Premier League, 28.

What I was wondering is how many games can you leave a Key Player, First Team player out of the side for before he starts complaining/agitating. I realise that personality will probably play a part part wondered if there was an indicative number of games for each category.

Also, interested to know how "safe" it would be to change a players squad status just after sealing the contract - could you change Key Player to First Team or First Team to Rotation relatively safely. Presumably the longer you leave doing this the greater the risk of upsetting the player?

The answer to the first part has been discussed many time before and I am not sure if there has ever been a definitive answer from the developers.  I was told that there is a weighting system that gives a higher weighting to certain competitions and that will affect the % of games needed to keep a player happy.  I think that I read somewhere that key players need to play 60-70%, rotation about 50% and backup 30-40%, but how these % are calculated with the competition weighting, I don't know.  You then have to take into account the players personality and professionalism as to whether they will complain if they don't get the number of games they expect.

The same personality attributes will affect how they react to changing their squad status, but I would be very wary of changing a key or first team player as making them upset could cause major dressing room problems, even if they have just arrived.  The bottom line is that it is always best to sign a new player on the squad staus that you are happy with, rather than make a squad status promise that you are unlikely to keep.

15 minutes ago, FrazT said:

The answer to the first part has been discussed many time before and I am not sure if there has ever been a definitive answer from the developers.  I was told that there is a weighting system that gives a higher weighting to certain competitions and that will affect the % of games needed to keep a player happy.  I think that I read somewhere that key players need to play 60-70%, rotation about 50% and backup 30-40%, but how these % are calculated with the competition weighting, I don't know.  You then have to take into account the players personality and professionalism as to whether they will complain if they don't get the number of games they expect.

The same personality attributes will affect how they react to changing their squad status, but I would be very wary of changing a key or first team player as making them upset could cause major dressing room problems, even if they have just arrived.  The bottom line is that it is always best to sign a new player on the squad staus that you are happy with, rather than make a squad status promise that you are unlikely to keep.

Thanks; confirms information from various old threads but always good to see if things may have changed. Sound advice re signing with squad status you are happy with rather than over promising but sometimes not easy to do to sign the player you want. I take a keen interest in player and backroom staff personalities when signing and my squad personality is described as "Highly Professional" which does give me a bit of latitude regarding playing time/rotation. My backroom staff personalities are also largely professional and I hope that is also helping with player personality development. Time will tell.

Thanks again for the swift feedback....time to get on progressing a currently enjoyable long term save....

Professionalism is an underrated attribute and does play a large part in player happiness/unhappiness.  I have had a professional key player happy with 40-50% of games and an unprofessional backup unhappy with 50%, so it is good to check this in order to know ho you are dealing with

i've had a player on First Team status complain after 4 consecutive matches of being just a sub at the start of the season.  what made that situation frustrating was that he'd just recovered from a pre-season injury and hadn't gotten up to match fitness yet when the season started so i'd been using him as a sub and giving him 10-15 min if the situation allowed to try to get his fitness up

Archived