The Bet

Faramir

Thank LO212- we have some nice momentum building up...

Bury (1) Leyton Orient (2)

Bury- S.Bradley 31

Orient- G.Alexander 46 J.Torhallsson 56

MOM- Scott Huckerby, Leyton Orient

It was a match of halves as Bury staked themselves to a 1-0 halftime lead only to see Orient roar back in the second half to edge them in a close 2-1 contest. Chris Wilkins' long free kick set up Shayne Bradley to rifle a shot past Lee Harrison into the far corner of the net. Orient struck back in the 2nd half as Johann Torhallsson sent a ball into the middle and Gary Alexander beat Lee Unsworth to it and knocked it past Glyn Garner for his 10th goal of the season to even the match. The match winning goal came from Torhallsson as he outleaped Unsworth and headed a Scott Huckerby corner just inside the near post. Garner made a couple brilliant saves on Torhallsson to keep the score from being worse for Bury.

"Of course he is worth it- grab him if they are willing to let him go," commented Spencer Field.

Drabek nodded, "I thought you would say that. I still have some worries because he doesn't fit the profile of what I look for, but I agree he would be a worthy addition here."

Orient Lands Tate

Leyton Orient today completed the transfer signing of promising defender Alan Tate from Manchester United. The reported transfer purchase was a modest 5K- with a large additional sell-on amount.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Ryan Thompson really has surprised me this season. I was confident his speed would make him a threat in Divisional play, but he has also shown more 'touch' around the net than I thought he would," commented Drabek.

Spencer Field replied, "He surprised me a bit too- since he had never shown that type of scoring ability in the past. I would caution you though- he looks good against Division 3 level players, but I know of many players I scouted that top out at a level. I have to wonder if that might be the case with him, after all remember that he is paired with Johann (Torhallsson)."

"Do you think that might be true of Johann as well?" asked Drabek.

"Well, if I had to select one of the two that would be more successful in higher levels- it would be Johann and not Ryan. Johann isn't as fast, but he is more 'game smart'- he is in the right places at the right times. He may not be as good around the net as Ryan is, but he will get plenty of chances that Ryan wouldn't because of his strength, speed and good judgement."

"What about Gary?"

"Gary is a pure shooter in my mind- excellent scorer- but he won't do as well as either Johann or Ryan in higher levels because he just isn't that good at shedding marking."

Drabek nodded thoughtfully, "The scouts have come back with a couple other prospects, but I sent them back out to give me a more complete picture. It costs too much to invest in forwards and I don't want to do it without having a complete look at their abilities."

Hull (2) Leyton Orient (2)

Hull- D.Delaney 20 D.Allsopp 48

Orient- J.Torhallsson 74,81

MOM- Damien Delaney, Hull

Orient spotted Hull a couple goals, but were brought back by Johann Torhallsson to wind up splitting the points with the home side. Damien Delaney made the most of Michael Sisson's foul on Stuart Green. From just beyond the edge of the area, he directed a perfect shot past Lee Harrison. Hull earned the 1-0 halftime lead by controlling much of the play in the first half. Hull capitalized on a throw-in to start the second half as Green headed to an unattended Danny Allsopp and he whipped a shot past Harrison. Orient may have had the mountain to climb, but started upwards when Michael Sisson caught the Hull defense leaning forward and sent a neat pass that allowed Torhallsson to break in on Alan Fettis alone and rip a shot past him just inside the near post. Torhallsson then capped Orient's hard work when he headed a Scott Huckerby corner in off of Fettis' outstretched fingers for his 25th goal of the season. Neither side could break the deadlock in the late stages and were content with the 2-2 draw.

Toner Moving to Shrewsbury

Leyton Orient completed the transfer sale of unsettled Ciaran Toner to Shrewsbury. Reportedly, Orient allowed him to leave for no funds, but did insist on a large sell-on clause.

Torquay Stuns Wolves

In a 5th round Cup replay, Division 3 Torquay stunned EPL Wolves for a shock 4-1 upset.

Rotherham Lands Spann

The Merry Millers landed Leyton Orient standout midfielder Silvio Reinaldo Spann today in a pricey transaction. The word is the transfer price was 100K, with additional payments of 50K spread out over a year. Spann was genuinely excited to move up to a Division 1 squad, "Orient was great for me- they gave me a chance. Still, I am happy to be moving up to Division 1 play and am looking forward to the challenges there."

Orient Signs Andrew Brown

Leyton Orient signed 18 year old English DR Andrew Brown off the free list today. Brown had come up through Kettering's youth system- and is expected to stay on the reserves for Orient.

Leyton Orient (10) Yeovil (1)

Orient- L.Dias 2 G.Alexander 16 J.Torhallsson 40,51,64,90,90 S.Huckerby 59 C.Itonga 76,88

Yeovil- G.Boyd 34

MOM- Johann Torhallsson, Leyton Orient

In a stunning display of offensive firepower, Orient handed hapless Yeovil a crushing 10-1 defeat. It was apparent Orient was much the better club from the opening whistle as they started on a flyer when Luis Dias intercepted Chris Weale's goal kick and then boomed a 30 yard blast that Weale could only get a hand on before it trickled past him into the net. Gary Alexander was next to the scoring line for Orient as Michael Sisson threaded a pass through to him and he zipped it past Weale. Yeovil showed their only sign of life in the match when they drew a goal back as Nick Crittenden smartly crossed to George Boyd and Boyd deflected it past James Jowsey. The Yeovil backline fell asleep and that allowed Stephen Clegg to send in a long pass that left Johann Torhallsson an easy step around Weale before slotting the ball for his first goal. Dias put Torhallsson free for his next chance, and though Weale parried the initial blast, Torhallsson had an easy time rapping the rebound past him for number 2 on the day. With so much attention being paid to Torhallsson by the Yeovil backline, he was able to slip a superb cross to Scott Huckerby for an easy header into the far side of the net. Byron Glasgow was the architecht of the next goal as he put Torhallsson free and he completed the hat-trick by smashing a low shot past Weale. Torhallsson then sent Carlin Itonga in and he chipped a 25 yard shot over Weale for his 1st Senior goal when Weale came out to challenge him. Orient's next goal was a thing of beauty as first Glasgow found Torhallsson alone on the corner of the net, and after Weale made a dazzling save, Torhallsson snapped a cross that Itonga crisply half-volleyed for his 2nd goal of the match. Chris O'Brien's entry pass found Torhallsson with just enough room to make a wonderful soft touch shot that curled past Weale and bounced in off the inside of the post in extra time. Torhallsson wasn't done yet though and notched his 5th of the match and 30th of the season as Glasgow caught beleaguered Yeovil skipper Terry Skiverington leaning forward and Torhallsson drilled a rising shot past Weale to complete the demolition.

Thanks BoN- sometimes you just catch a club playing badly, when you are playing well. We had a lot more speed than Yeovil...

"Do you think that is enough?" asked Spencer Field.

"12K isn't much, but he is in the last year of his contract and at this point of the season I didn't expect to get anything for him- so that is a bonus," explained Drabek.

Former Orient Skipper Moves to Carlisle

Defender David Maghee, former skipper of Orient, was sold to Carlisle for a modest amount. With Maghee in the last year of his contract, he had been on the transfer list since the new manager had taken over. Reportedly he was pleased to be going to a club where he could play again.

Drabek was still laughing when Field walked into the office, "What's so funny?"

Drabek gestured at the phone, "Oh, out of the blue the Chairman of Luton called and offered me the chance to take over as Manager."

"They *are* in Division 2," stiffly commented Field.

"Oh, sorry Spencer. I forgot you still have some affection for them. They are in the relegation race right now, and we look pretty certain to go up- I turned him down flat."

Field nodded in acceptance of the decision.

"I think he is worthwhile. Monaco wouldn't have had him in their youth program if he didn't have some elements of talent. Ian (John) thinks he has a lot of potential. For a free signing- he looks pretty good to me," stated Spencer Field.

Drabek smiled, "Not like we have a lot of depth in young central defenders as well- I will send the agreement to his agent for him to sign."

Orient Goes French

Orient announced the signing today of 17 year old Mathieu Guiguet, a central defender. Guiguet had been making a name for himself in the Monaco youth program, but was willing to come to England after being released a month ago. Assistant Manager Spencer Field commented that Orient scouts would travel whereever possible to find players for the club.

ManU Taken to the Limit by Villa, Wins on Penalties

Manchester United won the League Cup on penalties after 4-4 regulation with Aston Villa.

"Spencer, I realize this will be difficult- but I also truly believe that we need a much better staff than we have. They are just not there- they don't believe in our bright future like you and I do," flatly stated Drabek.

"Dammit, you haven't had to work hand-in-hand with these guys for this season. At least offer them some kind of severance pay."

Drabek nodded, "I will do that. We will also offer the best references we can under the circumstances. I do plan on keeping Tony and Jack though."

Rumors Swirl About Orient Staff Upheavel

There are many rumors that Manager Will Drabek will not be offering new contracts to much of the coaching staff currently at Orient. Unnamed sources tell us that Ian Culverhouse, Collin Reitz, Jamie Parsons, Ronnie Gale were not offered contract extensions and are in the final months of their current contract. Manager Drabek and Assistant Manager Field offered terse 'No Comments' to these reports.

Cambridge (2) Leyton Orient (0)

Cambridge- L.Gutteridge 56 D.Bridges 74

MOM- David Bridges, Cambridge

After dominating Orient in the first half, Cambridge felt a certain level of frustration as Lee Harrison had kept them off the scoresheet- despite numerous good chances. Early in the 2nd half, they took advantage of a corner and Luke Gutteridge outleaped two defenders to deflect a Marc Goodfellow corner past Harrison. The home side then clinched the match with a pretty passing play that saw David Bridges start by sending it across the net to Marc Goodfellow, who promptly sent it back and Bridges caught Harrison moving and slid the ball into the far side of the net. It was a disappointing effort for an Orient squad that had been playing well of late.

Leyton Orient (4) Oxford (1)

Orient- R.Thompson 7,25,69 S.Huckerby 43

Oxford- J.Alsop 3

MOM- Ryan Thompson, Leyton Orient

Oxford woke Orient up in the opening moments as Luis Dias lost the ball in the defensive end and it wound up with Danny Brown crossing to Julian Alsop for a header that snuck inside the near post. Orient wasted little time in responding as Johann Torhallsson sent a pass into the area that Matthew Bound missed and it wound up on Ryan Thompson's foot for an easy equalizer. Thompson nailed his 2nd of the match with a brilliant low shot that carromed in off the far side post past Andy Woodman. Scott Huckerby scored his 10th of the season to cap an excellent pass from Thompson and leave Orient ahead 3-1 at half. The lone goal of the 2nd half was Thompson's finish to his hat-trick as he was first to the rebound after Woodman had parried a blast from Michael Sisson.

"I don't know why, can't explain it really Spencer, but I really like him- and his prospects," commented Drabek.

"By all means grab him then- trust your instincts. Another forward isn't going to hurt us certainly."

Orient Still Making Moves

On the player movement side- Orient is still active as they today signed 20 year old DC Chris Hudson off the free transfer list and also 20 year old New Zealand forward Allan Pearce from Lincoln for 30K.

Torquay (3) Leyton Orient (1)

Torquay- M.Gritton 25 D.Graham 49 J.Kuffour 90

Orient- R.Thompson 34

MOM- Martin Gritton, Torquay

Torquay took advantage of a misfiring Orient passing attack to help them roll to a 3-1 win. Matt Hockley made a superb long throw-in and Martin Gritton outleaped Lee Harrison to knock it past him for the lead. Orient answered when Ryan Thompson took advantage of a 1-2 passing sequence with Johann Torhallsson to break clean and then take it around Arjan van Heusden for the equalizer. The second half was all Torquay as Orient managed no shots while consistently giving the ball away in the midfield. David Graham gave the home side the lead when Harrison gave up a long rebound on a Gritton 20 yard blast and Graham drove it home while Paul Moss flapped around like a fish out of water. Tony Bedeau made a nice touch pass to Jo Kuffor and he fired it just inside the far post to cap the scoring in the disappointing 3-1 Orient loss.

Leyton Orient (3) Northampton (4)

Orient- M.Sisson 20 A.Pearce 50 J.Torhallsson 70

Northampton- T.Youngs 13, M.Reaves 24 R.McCormick 71,76

MOM- Tom Youngs, Northampton

Orient wasted a fine effort when they allowed a pair of late Northampton goals after taking the lead with only 10 men. Northampton took the early lead when Tom Youngs took a pass from Oliver Burgess and then beat James Jowsey with a low shot to the far post for his 15th goal of the season. Michael Sisson evened the match when he deflected a Scott Huckerby corner past Glyn Thompson. Northampton wasted little time in regaining the lead as Martin Reaves hammered home a half-volley after a nice pass from Dave Brammer. Orient evened the match again in the 2nd half- despite being down to 10 men due to the redcarding of Alan Tate. Allan Pearce scored in his Orient debut when he ever so slightly redirected a long pass from Byron Glasgow past a flat footed Thompson. Orient siezed the lead when Johann Torhallsson headed a nice cross from Pearce past Thompson. Northampton pegged Orient back to even as Robert McCormick put back the rebound past Jowsey after he parried Josh Low's initial shot. McCormick then finished Orient off when he outraced Matt Lockwood to a long pass from Low and then snapped a shot past the onrushing Jowsey to close a wild 4-3 Orient loss.

Leyton Orient (0) Scunthorpe (0)

Orient- None

Scunthorpe- None

MOM- Tommy Evans, Scunthorpe

It was a classic tale of the underdog overcoming adversity as Scunthorpe, currently 22nd, came to visit 1st place Orient. Orient outshot the visitors 17-2 on the match, but found themselves completely stymied as Tommy Evans' acrobatic display kept them off the score sheet. Ryan Thompson came closest as he hit both the crossbar and the post in the first half, but couldn't find the twine. Orient closed out a poor March, having only won 1 match, and yet still clinging to 1st place in Division 3 by a point over the also struggling Bristol Rovers.

"That was a month to forget," sighed Drabek. "I can't quite put my finger on it, but we were a step slow, a shot wide or a goal short all month."

"Every club has those stretches- we're fortunate Bristol wasn't playing much better than we were," offered Spencer Field.

Drabek stared intently into the fog outside, "Back to the basics in training tomorrow. We have to improve our execution on both ends of the ball if we want to improve our results- and finish out the season."

Rochdale (0) Leyton Orient (1)

Rochdale- None

Orient- J.Torhallsson 52-P

Orient managed to disappoint the large Rochdale crowd when they converted a penalty kick into the lone goal in a closely played 1-0 road win. Both sides had few chances in the first half as neither side's defense would really let the offensive attacks get set. Chris Beech was the goat for Rochdale as he earned a yellow card for pushing Allan Pearce in the back in the penalty area. Johann Torhallsson easily fired past Neil Edwards for the lone marker in the 1-0 win.

QPR beat Hull on penalties to take the Vans Trophy.

Macclesfield (2) Leyton Orient (0)

Macclesfield- M.Tipton 66,76

Orient- None

MOM- Tommy Widdrington, Macclesfield

Last place Macclesfield jumped up and swatted Orient as they took advantage of a pair of 2nd half goals from Matthew Tipton and abominable shooting by Orient to upset the visitors. Tipton escaped marking twice as the Orient backline had a less than stellar day in support of Lee Harrison. Johann Torhallsson had several dandy chances against Robert Poulter, but continually missed the net in a very frustrating day.

Leyton Orient (3) Boston United (0)

Orient- G.Alexander 13,14 J.Torhallsson 37

Boston- None

MOM- Gary Alexander, Leyton Orient

With Ryan Thompson injured in the opening moments of the match, Orient appeared to need a spark. Gary Alexander provided it as Orient took advantage of the Boston backline in scoring three first half goals enroute to a solid 3-0 win. Alexander's first came when Marcus Ebdon slipped a pass through as Alexander broke the offside trap. He wasted little time rifling a shot inside the near post past Steve Croudson. His 2nd goal came when Scott Huckerby deflected a long pass from Alan Tate to Alexander. Paul Ellender couldn't handle him and Alexander again knocked the ball past Croudson inside the near post. Alexander then provided a sharp cross that Johann Torhallsson sent past Croudson to complete an excellent passing sequence. Orient controlled play in the 2nd half, but was content to not force the play and Croudson played well enough to keep the final at 3-0. The win ensured Orient will be promoted to Division 2 play next season.

Drabek was sitting at his computer, answering scout's email when the tone indicated he had a message. He absently clicked to receive it.

"Drogo wants to meet," stated the message from anon4325.

Drabek sat back and thought, then typed, "Have him meet me at the Green Dragon Inn. He knows the location."

There was a pause, the the chime announced the reply, "Tuesday afternoon, 2:00 PM sharp."

Drabek typed back, "Be there."

Will Drabek sat with his back against the wall in the darkened corner of the small tavern. The crowds of midday had fled back to their jobs and there were only scattered patrons- mostly older gentleman nursing their solitary ales.

He could see the squat, hulking figure enter the tavern, glance around and then leave.

"Drogo's scouting party, no doubt," he muttered to himself. "Aha, and there's the man now."

Seemingly huge against the background of the sunlit street, the elder Drabek took a moment to let his eyes adjust to the dark background and then strode purposefully over to the corner booth.

"Why couldn't you have just come to my office?" growled the bear of a man as he sat down in the opposite seat.

Will waved dismissively, "Something about it not being healthy to return to the spider's lair."

Drogo snorted, "Come off it Will. I am not about to start anything like that with you."

Will nodded slightly, "You might not. But I don't trust Hugo at all- not after his last shennanigan."

The big man stared thoughtfully at him and flatly stated, "Hugo will do what I tell him to do."

Will leaned slightly on his elbows and peered across the table, "Don't always think of him as your lapdog. You do that and one of these times he will tear out your throat. If you don't think that is a danger- you are more the fool. He has ambition, but not your brains and very little patience- it's a dangerous combination."

Drogo considered the comment a moment and then said dismissively, "Here is my first piece of our bargain." He handed over a videotape with no writing on it, "This is the original. No copies- my word on that."

Will reached over the table and took it, "Thank you. See you in a year for the next part."

A rumble sounding little like the laugh it was erupted from the man, "Maybe yes, maybe no. I don't think your chances are all that great." He paused for a moment, "I will be more sporting. If you do manage to get promoted again next season, I will give you both the 2nd piece and will tell you how the three pieces came to be."

Will stood and nodded curtly, "Be ready to follow through on that- you are underestimating us." He smiled a somewhat cruel smile, "Remember, don't bet against us."

The older man just stared with some questions and some slight malice at the back of the slim man as he walked into the street.

Doncaster (1) Leyton Orient (4)

Doncaster- M.McCammon 16

Orient- M.Sisson 14 J.Torhallsson 23,43 G.Alexander 46

Orient took a key step toward clinching the Division 3 title as they easily handled midtable Doncaster at Belle Vue. Michael Sisson opened the scoring for Orient as he was the recipient of a pass from Nii Lamptey after Lamptey chased down a free kick from Scott Huckerby that sailed over everyone. Lamptey found Sisson trailing the play and wide open in the area for an easy goal- his 5th of the season. Mark McCammon answered quickly for Doncaster as Robin Hulbert found him unattended and he ripped a shot past Lee Harrison. It didn't take long for Orient to move back into the lead as Johann Torhallsson deflected a Huckerby corner past Andy Warrington. Torhallsson made it 3-1 at halftime with his 2nd goal after Steve Foster couldn't get enough of his head on the short cross from Gary Alexander to keep it from falling to Torhallsson. Torhallsson fired a low shot past Warrington for his 35th goal of the season. Gary Alexander then finished off the scoring by drenching the Doncaster hopes for a 2nd half rally with a diving header on a cross from Torhallsson. Doncaster mustered little offense after that and Orient was content to run out the time on the 4-1 win.

Lincoln (0) Leyton Orient (3)

Lincoln- None

Orient- S.Huckerby 42 A.Pearce 75,90

MOM- Allan Pearce, Leyton Orient

Orient used a smothering defense and took advantage of some less than stellar work by Darren Horrigan to knock off Lincoln. After a first half that had mostly seen Orient missing the net while keeping control of the play, it was Scott Huckerby who got Orient on the board. A long crossfield pass allowed Huckerby enough room to wallop a 30 yard shot that Horrigan just plain missed and it was 1-0 at halftime. Despite controlling the flow of play, it was sub Allan Pearce (on for Gary Alexander) who put the W in the win column for Orient. Luis Dias made a long run down the left side before lofting a pass into the area and Pearce volleyed it past Horrigan to make it 2-0. He then capped off the scoring with a match clinching goal in extra time when Michael Sisson's through ball sailed past Ben Futcher and Pearce drilled a curling 20 yard shot past Horrigan. The win puts Orient on the doorstep of the Division 3 title as both Cambridge and Bristol remain 6 points adrift heading into the final two matches of the season.

Leyton Orient (2) Southend (1)

Orient- R.Thompson 18 J.Torhallsson 81

Southend- M.Warren 59

The celebration was on at Brisbane Road when Johann Torhallsson's late match winner was enough to ensure that Orient would finish as Champs of Division 3. The match was a closely played and hard fought one. Orient had the best of the play in the first half and held the halftime lead when Byron Glasgow's through ball allowed Ryan Thompson to walk in alone on Carl Emberson and rocket a shot past him. Southend evened the match early in the 2nd half when Mark Warren snuck in and headed a long-throw from Jamie Fullarton past James Jowsey. Both sides struggled for their 2nd goal, but it was Orient's Torhallsson that notched the match winning goal when he volleyed a looping cross from Scott Huckerby past Emberson. Orient withstood the late rally attempts by Southend, despite losing Jowsey to an injury in his side at 88 minutes.

Swansea (1) Leyton Orient (4)

Swansea- J.Thomas 59

Orient- S.Huckerby 8 R.Thompson 18,71,76

Orient rolled past Swansea to finish off a wonderful season. They struck early to quiet the crowd at The Vetch when Scott Huckerby ran down a errant cross from Ryan Thompson and then fired it past Saul Deeney into the far side of the net. Huckerby returned the favor with a fancy dribble to clear himself and then a sizzling cross that Thompson dove and headed past Deeney for a 2-0 Orient halftime lead. Swansea appeared to be right back in the match when James Thomas took a through ball from Roberto Martinez and blitzed a shot past Glenn Morris. Orient put the match away when Ryan Thompson took the ball down from midfield and crossed to an open Johann Torhallsson. Torhallsson's hard shot was parried by Deeney, but it bounced right to Thompson and he easily knocked it into the net for his 2nd of the match. Thompson completed his hat-trick and added a punctuation point to the win when he took a beatiful cross from Torhallsson and half-volleyed it past Deeney to close out the 4-1 win.

Chelsea defeated Liverpool in the all-England UEFA Cup Final. Liverpool was hamstrung in the late stages as Anthony Le Tallec was injured after all their substitutions had been made and they went with 10 men. That helped allow William Gallas to get free on a corner in 2nd half injury time and head past Jerzy Dudek for the match winner. Chelsea also had goals from Hernan Crespo and Adrian Mutu, while Liverpool's scorers were Harry Kewell and Steven Gerrard.

"I don't see any real problem letting David Hunt move on- despite the promise he has shown- I really don't see him working out in our system. He will do much better in another offensive approach," stated Spencer Field.

"Agreed. I have two solid offers for him- so whichever he chooses is fine," concurred Drabek. "We also have solid offers for Simon Downer now, so one of those will work out as well. The one that I am hoping he accepts is Plymouth's. They were willing to offer us David Worrell and 40K for Simon, and Worrell is a player I like the reports on- what do you think?"

Field rubbed his chin, "Worrell has already seen time on the Irish B side. He certainly is a complete defender. Can we afford him though? I know he is going to want a substantial contract."

Drabek shrugged, "I think we can figure it out. The real question though is what happens if all of that goes through. I think Worrell is certainly a starter if we bring him here. I am not sure what to do with Matthew Joseph in that case."

Field pondered, "Matthew played well last season, but I can see a couple advantages in Worrell. One is that Worrell is only 26 and Matt will be 32 this season. The other is that Worrell is a complete defender and has a bit more pace than Matt."

Drabek nodded, "I think what will have to happen- and I hope to hell it doesn't screw up our chemistry too much- is that I will transfer list Matt if this Downer deal goes right. The thing that is most important about this is that to grow Orient as a club- it will still have to be on a shoestring transfer budget. The only way I can see to accomplish that is to basically take this club and grow all of it together- with a few added parts along the way. That means a club with most of the players in the same age range- and Worrell fits into my thoughts that way- whereas Matt is the elder player right now. The one thing that could throw a monkey wrench into this is that Matt Lockwood may well move this season- if we get a min fee release bid on him. Jason Lanns played well in subbing for him, but I am still not totally sold on him as a starter."

Field leaned forward, "Ok, the other big question is how the midfield will shake out when John Thorrington arrives? By the way- how did you sweet talk him into signing on Bosman with us?"

Drabek motioned toward the phone, "I talked to him directly after his agent told me that he would at least listen to me. He saw firsthand the kind of attack we are running, and I explained that he is perfectly suited to run the right wing of the offense."

"What are we going to do with Scott (Huckerby), Luis (Dias) and especially Nii (Lamptey)?"

"Here is how I see it at for this season," explained Drabek. "I want to move Scott over to the left side. I think he will do fine over there- given the few matches we tried it at the end of last season. Luis should be a gameday sub- able to fill in on either wing. Nii will either be starting in the central midfield or my 'sixth man'."

"Sixth man? What are you talking about?"

"Oops, sorry. I slipped into American basketball jargon on that. The 'sixth man' in basketball is the first player off the bench- the supersub. I think Nii could do great in that role- since he can fill any midfield or forward positions. That would also get us around the usage portions on his WP- since I would plan on using him every match. The other aspect I like about this approach is how much better our depth will be. If we had lost Scott for any extended portions last season- I don't think we would have finished as well as we did."

"Fair enough- and I agree with your observations," noted Field. "Now tell me exactly what you have in mind on loaning Stephen Warne for three months. It will be another month before he is even healthy enough from his groin surgery to regularly practice- I just don't see the purpose in loaning him."

Drabek grinned, "There is a method to my madness Spencer. Look, we almost landed him before he signed that new contract (a bit of ruefullness in his voice). I want to see if he can work in central midfield in our offense. If he can- I plan on making another run at purchasing him. In the meantime though, it gives us a chance to fully expose to him how dynamic Orient has become- and hopefully convince him that joining us would be a great move. His not being sold on that was what squashed the deal last time. Besides, we aren't paying any of his salary for the period."

"A lot of the press are wondering about the fact that the only players we are really adding this season are Thorrington and Hordur Sveinsson," stated Field.

"Like I said, I want to grow this club together- I don't think we can land any big players until the club gets out from some of the crushing debt load we are carrying. Hordur came extremely cheap (4K from Keflavik) and is a very similar player to Gary Alexander- though he can't escape marking quite as well. It means that we are six deep in our forwards- with Johann (Torhallsson), Ryan (Thompson), Allan (Pearce), Gary (Alexander), Hordur (Sveinsson) and Carlin (Itonga). I also can't count out Ged (Kimmins) from working into there- so that is enough depth to survive the inevitable injuries. What I think we need at this point is another impact midfielder- and Warne may be that- but I will keep looking on that front too."

"It worked a charm, would you say Spencer?" asked Drabek with a smile.

"Yes. I have to agree you found the right tactics and approach on landing him. Now the question is how do we sort out the midfield with his addition and the return of Kevin Grogan from injury?"

Drabek shrugged, "I would rather have the problem of working with too much depth- than too little. It may take us some time to get our lineup all sorted out, but so far I am very happy with the alternatives."

Orient Lands Warne from Chesterfield

Leyton Orient today announced the completion of a full transfer of promising 20 year old midfielder Stephen Warne. Warne had been with Orient on loan since mid-summer and reportedly was pleased to make the full jump to Orient. Manager Drabek commented that Warne would see a lot of regular duty in the lineup.

"It was time to move him, I am happy with the deals we were offered," stated Drabek.

"Have to agree with you on that- he wasn't going to play much again this year and that was a large chunk of wages for a bench player," said Field.

Orient Sells Disgruntled Miller to QPR

Leyton Orient today announced that unhappy defender Justin Miller had been sold to QPR. The reporteded transfer cost was 40K, making up the difference Orient just paid out for Stephen Warne.

"Have I managed to change your mind?" asked Field.

"To a certain extent," grudgingly admitted Drabek. "I think Lockwood will continue starting at leftback- but will stay on the transfer list. Carl Laurie will start at righback for now- if we move Lockwood, he goes back to the left side. Tate and Ifura will pair up in the middle. I am still not certain which two center midfielders we will use yet."

"How's that for a tough opening match?" asked Field as he handed Drabek the papers with the Division 2 odds that laid out Sheffield Wednesday and Bristol City as co-favorites with 6-4 odds. Following them were Walsall and Gillingham at 2-1, QPR at 5-2 and Bournemouth at 3-1. Orient was listed at 40-1.

Drabek shrugged, "Opening against the co-favorites at home? Might as well have an early test. I don't think the club has gelled enough- but we did have a solid preseason."

Field chuckled, "That is a slight understatement. Playing Bayern to a 1-1 draw, when they featured many of their regulars, was something the Brisbane faithful will be talking about for a long time- no matter how we do in the season."

Leyton Orient (0) Bristol City (1)

Orient- None

Bristol- Lee Peacock 10

MOM- Lee Harrison, Leyton Orient

Bristol City showed their mettle from the outset as they continually pressured Orient. Carl Laurie earned an early yellow card as he pushed Aaron Brown in the area and Orient was fortunate as Joe Burnell was wide left with his penalty kick in the 2nd minute of play. Bristol gained the lead when Lee Peacock took advantage of indifferent coverage from Marian Ifura and came through alone on Harrison, before taking the ball around him and rifling it into the net. It could have been worse at halftime, but the visitors hit the crossbar and post squarely on good looking shots and neither went in. Orient's lone good chance of the match came when John Thorrington made a good long pass on to Johann Torhallsson. Torhallsson beat both defenders but shot wide against Steve Phillips. Bristol City continually throttled the Orient midfield in preventing them from rallying in the 2nd half.

Swindon (2) Leyton Orient (1) League Cup 1st Round

Swindon- L.Watson 23 T.Mooney 71

Orient- M.Joseph 69

MOM- Rhys Evans, Swindon

Once again, Orient found themselves summarily dismissed from League Cup competition. Liam Watson gave Swindon the first half lead when he found himself unmarked by the Orient backline and snapped a low shot past Lee Harrison. Harrison kept Orient in the match though and in one sequence made three dazzling close-in stops before the struggling backline could finally clear the ball. Orient tried to claw their way back into the match in the 2nd half, but early on were stopped by fine work from Rhys Evans, who continually frustrated Allan Pearce's good chances. Matthew Joseph brought Orient back to even when he headed in a Luis Dias corner, but Swindon wasted little time in replying as Tommy Mooney blasted a rising shot past Harrison after also being left unattended. Evans finished off the win with a brilliant save in a one-on-one with Ryan Thompson in the closing moments of the match.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" asked Field.

"I don't have a choice Spencer. The stuff I am hearing back from the squad are comments that I can't tolerate. He is sowing dissension on the club, so even if we have to eat his contract- he has to go," flatly stated Drabek.

Orient Releases Ebdon

Leyton Orient today released 33 year old Welsh midfielder Marcus Ebdon. Ebdon reportedly had been unhappy with the possible transfer move and apparently had worn out his welcome with Manager Drabek. Ebdon bitterly commented, "I am glad to be leaving. This club's management has given me no cause to trust them or their committment." Drabek offered a terse "No comment" in reply to Ebdon's statements.

"Absolutely, grab him if he will sign on- our scouts thought he could help us immediately," offered Field.

Drabek glanced up with a wry smile, "Well, already did."

Orient Signs Poole

Leyton Orient signed forward David Poole off the free transfer list after his release from the Manchester United youth program. Manager Drabek was reportedly very pleased at adding Poole to the mix of forwards at Orient.

Leyton Orient (8) Oldham (2)

Orient- D.Poole 2,7,90 J.Torhallsson 19,90 A.Tate 27 K.Grogan 47 C.Laurie 73

Oldham- S.Vernon 26 J.Eyre 82

MOM- David Poole, Leyton Orient

It was a spectacular debut for 19 year old sniper David Poole as he notched a hat-trick in his first time out for Orient. His first goal came early as he headed a Scott Huckerby free kick past Les Pogliacomi. It was only minutes later when he added his 2nd after Stijn Francis made a brilliant through ball to put him in alone on Pogliacomi. Johann Torhallsson, who had an excellent match of his own, put Orient up 3-0 when he stole a John Eyre back pass and waltzed in before sliding a shot under Pogliacomi. Oldham got one back when a poor goal kick from James Jowsey was headed by Adam Griffin and Scott Vernon outraced Paul Moss to the ball before blistering a shot past Jowsey. The lead went back to 3 goals when Pogliacomi parried a Huckerby free kick, but Alan Tate drilled the ball past him for his 1st Orient goal to make it 4-1 at halftime. Orient again struck to start the 2nd half when a Matt Lockwood corner went over everyone and Kevin Grogan stepped up and calmly rifled it home for his 1st Orient goal. The next Orient goal looked like a carbon copy, with a Huckerby corner sailing to Grogan on the far side- but instead of shooting he smartly crossed and Carl Laurie headed it home for his 1st Orient goal. John Eyre boomed home a free kick for Oldham's 2nd goal after Moss had pushed him just outside the edge of the area. Orient wasn't quite through though and Torhallsson notched his 2nd goal in 2nd half injury time as Stijn Francis made a nice touch pass on to Torhallsson who headed it inside the near post. Poole then capped his stellar match by volleying a pass from Byron Glasgow in for his hat-trick.

Plymouth (0) Leyton Orient (2)

Plymouth- None

Orient- J.Torhallsson 11 R.Thompson 55

Orient's trip to Plymouth for their initial road outing in Division 2 became a success as they smothered the home side's midfield and did enough offensively to earn the 2-0 win. Johann Torhallsson was turned away twice in the opening moments of the match by Clayton Ince, but the third time was the charm as a superb pass from Luis Dias sent him in alone and he fired a low shot just inside the corner of the far post. Ince kept the match close as he stopped Torhallsson on another one-on-one late in the half and also tipped a scorching Matt Lockwood blast over the bar. Orient finally notched the key 2nd goal when Torhallsson unselfishly gave the ball up to Ryan Thompson, who had just enough room to slid the ball past the diving Ince. Torhallsson came out shortly after, still suffering the effects of a hard collision with Plymouth skipper Paul Wotton. Ince made one more dazzling save as he stopped Allan Pearce's blast late in the 2nd half.

Walsall (1) Leyton Orient (1)

Walsall- W.Sunsing 54

Orient- J.Torhallsson 11

It was a gritty road performance for Orient as they didn't play their best match, yet still gave favored Walsall all it could handle and wound up with a well deserved split of the points. Orient's goal came early in the match when John Thorrington sent David Poole away free down the right side. When the defender committed, Poole passed to Johann Torhallsson, who rocketed a shot past Jimmy Walker into the near side of the net. Walsall pressured Orient throughout the rest of the match, but Lee Harrison had kept the clean sheet at halftime. That changed in the opening moments of the 2nd half when Walsall caught the Orient defense out of position due to a free kick and took advantage when Peter Thorne crossed and William Sunsing headed past Harrison. Walsall came close to taking all three points in the match, but Harrison was very steady in the closing moments in earning the 1-1 draw.

Leyton Orient (1) Sheffield Wednesday (1)

Orient- D.Poole 45

Sheffield- L.Owusu 48

MOM- Luis Dias, Leyton Orient

Orient showed their determination as they fought favored Sheffield Wednesday to a 1-1 draw in front of their Brisbane Road faithful. Chris Stringer blunted Orient's early chances and Wednesday missed a golden chance for an early lead when an unattended Shefki Kuqi missed wide with an easy chance midway through the first half. It was Orient who finally took the halftime lead when David Poole rammed home a rebound after Stringer denied Kevin Grogan on a close in chance. Wednesday moved back to even in the opening moments of the 2nd half when Paul Moss allowed Kuqi to roam free and he set up Lloyd Owusu for an easy equalizer. Both sides had a smattering of late chances, but none panned out as the clubs settled for the 1-1 draw.

"It could be better, but I think we have acquitted ourselves fine in these first five matches. Playing against 3 of the favored clubs in the Division we have only lost once. Even though we haven't won these last couple of matches- I like how the club has responded. I can see though some problem areas that I hadn't anticipated," stated Will Drabek.

"What are those?" asked Spencer Field.

"I don't think John Thorrington is going to work out for us. I moved Scott (Huckerby) back to right for the Wednesday match because it looks like he and Luis (Dias) should be our starting wingers. I can't put my finger on why Thorrington doesn't seem to do it for us- but despite his solid ratings- he will be a second liner for now. I also see problems with our central defense. We haven't been getting good, consistent work from them yet- and that will be critical to our success."

"I think you need to give that more time. We are still working things out on the backline- especially now that we are playing Lockwood and Joseph again. I also think you might be underestimating Thorrington- he really hasn't been with us long enough yet to get a good judgement."

Drabek shrugged, "You might be right- it isn't like we haven't been playing tough competition to start the season. A little harder to hit our stride against the level of players and quickness we are seeing so far."

"He has talent, but I don't know that we really need him," offered Spencer Field.

"He has leadership, flair and I think he can really be the stopper in central midfield that we have been searching for," stated Drabek. "I am going through with the purchase despite the fact that this will seriously overcrowd the midfield."

Orient Purchases Palmer from Hednesford

Leyton Orient today completed the transfer purchase of midfielder Steve Palmer from Hednesford. The reported price was in the neighberhood of 25K, and Palmer was excited about the chance to move up into Division 2 play. "I am looking forward to making a contribution to the Orient effort. I think this club is on the rise and it will be a pleasure to be a part of that improvement."

Stockport (0) Leyton Orient (2)

Stockport- None

Orient- D.Poole 64 N.Lamptey 70

For the second match in a row, Orient youngster David Poole was a force on the frontline and made the difference as Orient upset 3rd placed Stockport at Edgeley Park with a strong 2nd half effort. The home side dominated the first half and John Piercey came close twice, but Lee Harrison made splendid saves on his chances. In the 2nd half, Orient started showing more life and it was David Worrell who retrieved an errant free kick and looped a long pass down the right side of the pitch that started Orient's counter-attack. Stijn Francis, subbing on for a tiring Steve Palmer outraced the defenders and went in one-on-one with Lenny Pidgeley. Pidgeley made a dazzling parry, but Francis was first to the rebound and sent a short cross that David Poole clipped with his head past Pidgeley for his 5th goal of the season. Orient struck for the clinching goal when Nii Lamptey was sent free by a Poole head ahead and ran past Rob Clare. Pidgeley fell down trying to react and Lamptey had an easy time taking the ball around him for his 1st goal of the season.

In our off week (due to International Competition), we received the welcome news that on the other side of the world Allan Pearce had scored a goal in his first Cap for New Zealand. He had come on as a substitute against Solomon Islands and had swooped in to score the last goal for the Kiwis as they handily won 5-0.

"It's another waste of money in my opinion," said Spencer Field.

"I understand that you think we have enough depth there Spencer, but both Ian (John) and Dave (Jarrett) think that he has good potential. We will place him on the reserves and see how he does," commented Drabek.

Orient Purchases Cowley from Trafford

Leyton Orient completed the transfer purchase of 19 year old leftwing Alan Cowley from Trafford. The reported purchase price was in the 5K range. Cowley is expected to be placed on the Orient reserve squad.

Drabek sighed, "Spencer, we are at the point of the season where we need to settle on a backline and stick with it. This up and down play is hurting us, so I wanted to talk over my plans with you."

Field settled into his chair, "Ok, what do you think?"

"I talked to you, so you know I had yours- as well as the other coaches- opinions on all our defenders, before I settled on this. My preferred backline from here on out will be Laurie at leftback, Lee Sims at rightback and Nicky Hill and Alan Tate in the middle."

Field looked questioningly at Drabek, "Sims hasn't even debuted- and you want to pin him with the starting rightback badge?"

Drabek nodded, "I think he is ready now- and even though we have several to fill the spot- this is the time to start seeing if he is ready."

Leyton Orient (3) Wimbledon (0)

Orient- J.Torhallsson 60, 73 B.Glasgow 64

Wimbledon- None

In a very rough match, played on a soggy and rapidly detiorating Brisbane Road pitch, it was Orient's speed that eventually proved the deciding factor. Despite being short both Scott Huckerby and John Thorrington due to injuries, it was the wings that were pushing Orient's chances as Nii Lamptey and Luis Dias triggered several excellent scoring opportunities in the first half. None came to fruition though as Daniel Carr was rock steady in the Dons net. After Scott McDonald missed a golden chance to put the visitors into the lead when he missed wide, it was an Orient counter-attack that put Johann Torhallsson out free on the left side. Carr made a good initial save on Torhallsson's blast, but when the ball bounced back to him he put it past Carr into the far side of the net for his 5th goal of the season. Four minutes later it was Byron Glasgow (subbed on for a tiring Lamptey) that notched his 1st goal of the season when camped at the far post and recipient of a cross that sailed over Torhallsson's head. Torhallsson then finished out the scoring when Luis Dias sent a nice pass into him and he had enough time to slide a low shot past a diving Carr.

Chesterfield (1) Leyton Orient (0)

Chesterfield- D.Shields 7

Orient- None

MOM- Steve Blatherwick, Chesterfield

In a match that Orient clearly missed injured Johann Torhallsson, it was Dene Shield's early marker that stood up as the lone goal in a closely contested match. For Orient, it wasn't that Allan Pearce played badly in replacing Torhallsson, it was the physical presence and explosiveness that was lacking. Chesterfield was also effective in shutting down the Orient wings in the match as they forced the attack back into the middle and Blatherwick did an excellent job policing the net in front of Saul Deeney. Shield's goal came when he banged home a rebound after Lee Harrison made a good initial stop on Tony Folan on his doorstep. Orient came close to equalizing late in the half when Pearce made a superb cross to find David Poole alone in front, but Deeney came up big as he knocked Poole's shot around the post. Both sides had more chances in the 2nd half, but Deeney and Harrison were committed to keeping the score down and stopped the best of these opportunities.

Leyton Orient (1) Wrexham (1)

Orient- K.Grogan 43

Wrexham- H.Sam 37-P

MOM- Chris White, Wrexham

Despite a dominating performance featuring 24 shots on goal, Orient was left with a frustrating draw at home against Wrexham. Hector Sam easily converted the penalty kick after Paul Moss was yellow carded for upending him in the area on a long throw in for the lone marker from the visitors. Orient squandered many chances in the match, shooting over or wide of the net much of the time. Still Chris White earned his MOM in net for Wrexham as he made key saves in the 2nd half. The lone Orient goal was from Kevin Grogan on an excellent pass from Allan Pearce.

Drabek slumped in his chair, "Damm shame. All that effort and a lot of good work to get chances- but we just couldn't finish the deal."

Field looked tiredly at Drabek, "I hate to lay the blame on anyone, but if Nii (Lamptey) gives up the ball on crosses a couple of times in the 2nd half- we would have had a win. Both times Pearce got open and Nii ignored him and shot over the net and wide of the net."

Drabek looked thoughtful, "He really isn't helping us this season- is he?"

Field looked resigned and shook his head negatively.

"I guess it might be time to move him- because if we quit playing him he will lose his WP- then be really worthless to us."

Blackpool (1) Leyton Orient (2)

Blackpool- J.Murphy 67

Orient- D.Poole 41 A.Pearce 78

Orient showed a lot of heart in this matchup between the club directly above them in the standings. It was a well played first half that featured a couple excellent scoring chances by both sides- but Orient was on top at halftime when David Poole fired a scorching shot past Neil Cutler after Scott Huckerby had put the ball right on his foot. Blackpool rallied to even the match in the 2nd half when John Murphy's shot trickled past Lee Harrison into the net, after Harrison got a good piece of it trying to stop it. Allan Pearce's speed turned out to be the key aspect in Orient's win as he raced to a headed pass by Poole and had enough space to squeeze a shot past a retreating Cutler. Orient had to cling to their lead in the closing moments as the home side staged a furious comeback bid, but it fell short and Orient had an important road win.

"That was the best Pearce has played. He is getting more comfortable on the left side," commented Spencer Field.

"I just wish we didn't have to use him. We need Johann (Torhallsson) back in the lineup. Still it was the right decision to send him to therapy- I would rather lose him for 3 weeks now then again later in the season," commented Drabek.

"We got a couple offers for him from clubs in the Division. I don't really mind letting him go, but it could backfire on us," commented Drabek.

"Did he agree to either of them?" asked Field.

"Yes. The word just came through on his conditional WP approval, so we will announce the deal tomorrow."

Lamptey Sold to Swindon

Leyton Orient today completed the sale of Ghanian winger Nii Lamptey to division rival Swindon for 12K. Lamptey is expected to step in and claim a forward position at the injury depleted club.

Orient Brings in Farrell

Leyton Orient today announced the signing of forward Craig Farrell from Mansfield. Mansfield offered Orient Farrell on a free transfer and after extensive negotiations Farrell will be moving to Orient. Manager Will Drabek commented, "We had heard good things about Craig from a couple of our scouts and were surprised when Mansfield offered him to us on free. It took some work with his agent, but we are pleased to add Craig to our forward mix."

Leyton Orient (3) QPR (0)

Orient- A.Pearce 5,45 D.Poole 12

QPR- None

In a sign of his developing talent young Kiwi forward Allan Pearce notched a pair of goals as Orient used a dominating first half performance to see off visiting QPR. David Poole set up Pearce's first goal with a long header of a Lee Harrison goal kick. After Danny Shuttu missed heading the ball, Pearce was in alone on Matthew Baker and beat him cleanly with a rising shot to the far post. Poole drilled a goal of his own after Stijn Francis put a superb pass in to him for a quick 2-0 lead. Pearce then capped the first half when he curled a sharp angled shot past Baker, who had come out a ways to challenge the shot. Orient was content with the 3-0 lead and spent the second half blunting the desperate attempts by QPR to rally.

"It looks like it is going to go through. It wasn't as much as I hoped for- but with the Bosman signing period coming up for him in December- I had to take the best offer I could find," sighed Drabek.

"Who is getting him?" asked Field.

"Gillingham came through with the best offer and he accepted a contract from them. We will get the bulk of the transfer amount over the next 12 months, but they did make a solid downpayment as well."

Orient Stalwart Lockwood Sold to Gillingham

Matt Lockwood, Orient's stellar leftback, was sold to Gillingham for a reported sum of around 60K. Lockwood, who has lost playing time to Carl Laurie this season, was upbeat and looking forward to the challenges of playing regularly again.

Bristol Rovers (1) Leyton Orient (2)

Bristol- L.Haldane 18

Orient- D.Poole 4 A.Pearce 83

In a match where Orient started out on a flyer, it came down to Allan Pearce finally solving Bristol keeper Kevin Miller after suffering frustration through much of the match. Stijn Francis set up David Poole to get past his marker and then Poole took it around Miller for the first goal of the match as Orient looked especially sharp in the early going. 18 year old Lewis Haldane notched his 1st senior goal when he broke in on the left side and Alan Tate didn't close quickly enough, before he fired a rising shot past Lee Harrison. Pearce and Poole had some splendid opportunities as their speed caused the Bristol backline continual problems, but it was a soft Luis Dias pass that Pearce rifled inside the near post on Miller that turned out to be the match winning goal.

"Not much choice is there?" asked Drabek of Physio Tony Flynn.

"Well, he can keep playing with it- but it is likely to be a lingering problem. The only way it can be fully resolved is through surgery."

Drabek sighed, "Ok, let's go that route."

Luis Dias Out for 6 Months

A troublesome hamstring problem has resulted in surgery for Orient winger Luis Dias and he will be out for an expected 6 months. The occurrance was especially discouraging as the winger had just started a run of fine form and helped Orient to a last minute win against Bristol Rovers.

Southend (1) Leyton Orient (3) Vans Trophy South 1st round

Southend- D.Carey-Bertram 13-P

Orient- R.Thompson 4,16,73

It was the Ryan Thompson show at Roots Hall, and Southend had no solutions as the speedy striker showed fine form in notching a hat-trick to help Orient advance to the 2nd round of the Vans Trophy competition. Allan Pearce made a superb pass to spring Thompson past Leon Cort and then he rifled a shot past Ryan Robinson to give Orient the quick lead. The home side equalized on an unusual sequence. Paul Moss was whistled for pushing Leon Cort in the area, but James Jowsey made the save on Daniel Carey-Bertram's penalty kick. Orient went back on top shortly after as John Thorrington made an excellent short cross that Thompson was able to direct past Robinson for his 2nd goal. Thompson then put the match on ice for Orient in the 2nd half when he capped his hat-trick by taking a poor backpass by Mark Warren and blasting it past Robinson.

"Do you think he is ready for this Spencer?"

Field shrugged, "He is Captain of the Belgian Under-21 side. He looks to be a natural leader out there- something you commented on when we got him. I think he is ready, and I think the club will accept him."

Drabek nodded, "Ok, I will talk to Stijn (Francis) after practice today about naming him skipper against Gillingham."

Leyton Orient (4) Gillingham (3)

Orient- J.Torhallsson 21,90 D.Poole 58,69

Gillingham- M.King 40 C.Hope 49 J.Tabb 56

MOM- Stijn Francis, Leyton Orient

It was a suspenseful match where Orient brought trouble on themselves falling behind 3-1 on poor backline and keeper play, but rallied to score a dramatic goal in the last moments of 2nd half injury time to cap a superb come-from-behind 4-3 win. Orient got off to a quick start when David Poole made a difficult header to free Johann Torhallsson. Torhallsson, in his first match back after extended time off due to injury, showed little rust as he sent a low shot past Jason Brown. It appeared to be 2-0 for Orient moments later as Stijn Francis sent one of his many superb passes today into Poole and he snapped a shot past Brown- only to see it ruled off with Poole's offside call. A botched header by Nicky Hill allowed Marlon King to get out and take the ball past James Jowsey to even the match. The Orient backline then completely lost track of Chris Hope on a long throw in and he had an easy tap into the empty portion of the net. Jowsey was responsible for the 3rd goal as he tried punch a corner out of the way, but only partially deflected the ball and left Jay Tabb with an easy opportunity. Orient showed no quit though and Francis made another superb pass to set Poole in alone to draw a goal back. Torhallsson then setup Poole again and he evened the match with a rising shot past Brown. Torhallsson, who had endured a frustrating match following his first goal- missing close several times, then capped the comeback as Francis found him free and he drilled a shot off the inside of the post for the dramatic match-winner.

"I am frustrated at this point Spencer," commented Will Drabek. "None of our central defense has really stepped up- and we are lucky to be winning with their inconsistent play."

Field nodded thoughtfully, "Well, Alan (Tate) is due back from injury. How about pairing him and Marian (Ifura)?"

Drabek glanced over appreciatively, "It is worth a try, that is one combination we haven't really had a chance to try yet."

Bournemouth (0) Leyton Orient (1)

Bournemouth- None

Orient- D.Poole 70

MOM- Neil Moss, Bournemouth

Orient kept Bournemouth keeper Neil Moss busy througout the match as they had almost continual pressure on the home side. All that pressure finally found an opening and David Poole's 70th minute header off the post turned out to be the lone goal in the Orient road win. Poole's header came off a cross from Kevin Grogan (on for a tiring Stijn Francis) as he took the ball into the left baseline and then sent it into the middle. Poole and Johann Torhallsson had given the Bournemouth backline problems all match. Gilles de Bilde and Richard Walker were ineffectual as the Orient defense blanketed them and rarely allowed them to see the ball.

"A couple of noteworthy clubs in Division 2 news today," commented the tinny voice of the radio announcer. "Cambridge finally lost a match, their first loss in Division 2 play- after 13 matches that included 12 wins. The loss came to lowly Tranmere by a 1-0 margin at The Abbey. On the other side, Plymouth- favored to contend, went for its 13th match in a row without winning and finds themselves squarely in last place of the Division."

Orient Lands Scot Youngster

Leyton Orient today announced the transfer purchase of 20 year old Scot DC John Fisher from Airdrie United. The reported cost of the purchase was in the neighberhood of 5K and it is expected that Fisher may find his way into the lineup at some point this season.

Thank you spurzgrrl- my most dedicated reader you seem to be icon_wink.gif

"Hell!" exclaimed Drabek. "We can't buy a damm break lately."

Spencer Field just nodded- a bit morosely.

Huckerby Out for 4 Months

Dynamic Orient winger Scott Huckerby suffered a recurrance of a past groin injury and will be out the next four months as Manager Drabek made the decision to send him off for surgery. Huckerby had been having a tough times with injuries this season- this being the third one to sideline him. The injury is especially devastating to Orient as they had previously lost Huckerby's wing partner Luis Dias for a long stretch due to injury.

AFC Wimbledon (0) Leyton Orient (4) FA Cup 1st Round

AFC Wimbledon- None

Orient- R.Thompson 10 A.Pearce 28 C.Farrell 76,89

MOM- Stephen Warne, Leyton Orient

Non-league side AFC Wimbledon ran into an Orient squad determined to move past the 1st round of the FA Cup this season and didn't have enough horses to stay with the Orient effort. Stephen Warne, who had a stellar match, triggered the first goal with a neat flick pass that Ryan Thompson volleyed past Paul Newton for his 5th goal of the season. Thompson was forced to leave shortly after, but then Allan Pearce struck for his 5th goal of the season when Ryan Williams sent him free with a long pass that David Hunt misjudged and let get past him. Warne set up both the late 2nd half goals by Craig Farrell- who had an excellent debut in filling in for the injured Thompson. On both of them Warne made sleight of foot passes that zipped by Farrell's marker and left him a step free to break in and fire past Newton. The 4-0 effort was indicative of Orient's total control of the match.

Leyton Orient (0) Wimbledon (2) Vans Trophy South 2nd round

Orient- None

Wimbledon- P.Agyemang 6,88

MOM- Patrick Agyemang, Wimbledon

Orient didn't fare as well against the larger Wimbledon side, as Patrick Agyemang provided a powerful performance in Wimbledon's road victory. Agyemang struck early as he outleaped two defenders to head a cross from Wayne Gray past Glenn Morris. Orient came very close to evening the match several times in the first half and in the early stages of the 2nd half, but Daniel Carr was doing superb work in the visitor's net. Orient's best chance came just after the 80 minute mark when Allan Pearce found Johann Torhallsson (subbed on for disappointing Ryan Thompson) alone, but he missed just wide. Shortly after Carr used good presence of mind to corral a loose ball beyond the area and send it to a streaking Agyemang. Agyemang's shot trickled through Morris to clinch the 2-0 win.

Archived