The Bet

Faramir

Arsenal (0) Leyton Orient (1)

Arsenal- None

Orient- J.Reynolds 8

MOM- Jason Reynolds, Leyton Orient

It was a battle of the keepers as Arsenal hosted Orient. Orient gained the upper hand early in the first half when David Poole shook free of coverage. Chris Kirkland parried Poole's initial blast and then stopped the rebound, but it trickled out to the middle and Jason Reynolds was quicker than Jens Forster to the ball as he pushed it into the open goal. Sebastien Frey and Kirkland then staged a personal duel, almost like World War I flying aces, as they made sensational save after sensational save. Frey stopped Adriano on his doorstep twice and also got a hand on a blast from Steven Gerrard. Kirkland stopped Poole twice and also knocked a shot from Lee Talbot around the post. The match remained in doubt until the final whistle sounded with Orient still clinging to the 1-0 lead. The win moved Orient into 1st place in the EPL, a meteoric rise from the 6th place they held a month and a half ago.

"Sebastien (Frey) still has it- he was brilliant today," said a cheery Colley.

"I think we were fortunate to get a goal. Kirkland played just as well as Sebastien today."

"It was a nice, close win- good for everyone's morale."

"Being in 1st does that for you," grinned Drabek.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Raptor icon_smile.gif I guess to be fair to all the faithful readers of this though- this is the swan song season of the story. I just ran out of desire to play CM 03-04 anymore, so I did complete the season being posted, but 'The Bet' will be retired after that...

Leyton Orient (3) Aston Villa (0)

Orient- J.Reynolds 10 S.Pearson 42 D.Poole 82

Villa- None

MOM- David Poole, Leyton Orient

Orient used their midfield play to throttle Aston Villa and create good chances as they cruised past Villa 3-0 at Brisbane Road. Danny Byrne was the chief terror for Orient as he sailed up the right wing at will. Byrne's beautiful curving cross was deflected by David Poole, but Luke Daniels parried Poole's header. Jason Reynolds was again lurking and had an easy time pushing the rebound in to give Orient the lead. Stephen Pearson missed close a couple times, but didn't miss when Byrne found him lurking in the area just before half as Orient took a 2-0 lead to the dressing room. Poole finished out the scoring as Orient dominated the second half when he knocked home a rebound after Daniels stopped Reynolds' close in shot and Orient completed the clean sheet for Sebastien Frey.

"For how bad we struggled earlier this season, we certainly are playing well now," stated Colley.

"It is scary how well we are playing now, this is close to the best stretch of ball by any of the Orient sides I have had," agreed Drabek.

"Our midfield has fit together so well, and most of them played together for awhile, that they are just crushing other clubs with their strong play."

"Don't forget our finishing punch of Poole, Reynolds, Hunt, Ford and Arrieta when healthy again- not many groups of forwards much better than them."

Leyton Orient (3) Lyon (0) Champions Cup Group E

Orient- J.Reynolds 8 D.Poole 25,26

Lyon- None

Another strong first half performance by Orient keyed their 3-0 win over Lyon that ensures they will move on in Champions Cup competition. Jason Reynolds tantalized Lyon keeper Remy Vercoutre by throwing a dribble well out in front, but when Vercoutre hesitated about going after the ball Reynolds made him pay by firing a grass cutter past him to spring Orient into a quick lead. David Poole helped put the nails on Lyon's hopes when he added a brace in a two minute span. Dave Davidson was the architect of both goals. On the first, Davidson's through ball allowed Poole a simple redirection into the right side of the net. On the second, it was Poole outleaping Mourad Benhamida to flick a Davidson cross past Vercoutre for his 350th goal at Leyton Orient. With a comfortable lead, Orient was content to grind the visitors down with a possession game as they moved the ball well, but didn't take too many more shots. Orient limited Lyon to only 1 shot for the entire match as Sebastien Frey chalked up another easy clean sheet.

"It is a bit of relief to be moving on and not have to worry about gaining a good result in our trip to Dortmund," said Drabek.

"When Jason scored that first goal, you could feel the boys start to focus- they really wanted to win today to make sure we didn't have to worry about that last Group E match.

Liverpool (0) Leyton Orient (1)

Liverpool- None

Orient- D.Poole 63

Orient continued their winning ways as they barely edged a determined Liverpool 1-0 at Anfield. Neither side was particularly sharp offensively in the match, but that might be a tribute to both sides defensive efforts. The two sides managed a total of 9 shots in the match as hard work and hard tackling could be found everywhere on the pitch. The lone goal of the match came when Richard Ford ran down a long pass down the left side of the pitch. Ford crossed into the middle for David Poole. David Raven was right with Poole and challenged him for the ball knocking it slightly away, but Poole reacted quickly and surprised Ross Flitney when he used his left foot to hook the ball past him for the goal. Anthony Le Tallec had a golden chance to equalize when he split the Orient central defense on a counter attack, but he shot over the bar as Sebastien Frey challenged him. Orient completed the clean sheet for Frey without further incident in closing out the 1-0 road win.

"Very closely played match," stated Colley.

"It won't be the last we play that is like that. It was good for the boys to be involved in one like this- and great for our confidence when they see they can win these type of matches."

"Did you hear the news?" asked Dave Colley.

"What news?"

"They just announced it on the telly. Hull fired Spencer (Field) today."

"Ugh. Poor Spencer. I warned him that job might be a difficult one to take- as his first managerial job."

"Also- both Chelsea and Manchester U stumbled on road losses- we finally have a bit of breathing space."

"We can use it."

EPL Table- 17 matches played

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1- Leyton Orient 38 pts (+25)

2- Chelsea 33 pts (+17)

3- Manchester Utd 31 pts (+9)

4- Birmingham 30 pts (+1)

5- Middlesbrough 28 pts (+8)

6- Newcastle 28 pts (+4)

</pre>

"Richard (White) was happy to go. He is sure he will be a big star and now wants to reestablish that by going to Atletico Madrid," commented Drabek.

"I don't know about the big star thing. He is a good player, but..." replied Colley.

"Have to agree with you on there, though he may flourish more in their attacking system. He just never seemed comfortable with our attacking approach- it didn't suit his style of play."

"At least we have another 8.5 Million in the coffers."

Back after a few days in Texas...

Leyton Orient (2) Millwall (3) League Cup 4th round Extra-Time

Orient- L.Talbot 52 R.Vittek 119-OG

Millwall- C.Hearn 90 F.Brands 111,117

MOM- Frank Brands, Millwall

Orient again faltered in pursuit of the League Cup, which they have won only once- in 2010, as they allowed Millwall a dramatic equalizer in second half injury time and then two goals in extra-time to broom Orient out 3-2 in front of a disappointed Brisbane Road crowd. Though Frank Brands was awarded the MOM for his brace in extra-time, it was clearly Millwall keeper Nicky Weaver who deserved credit for the win, since his exceptional play allowed the visitors the chance to fight back in regulation. The first half was scoreless thanks to a couple fine saves from Weaver on Luke Moore and Jeremie Aliadiere. Lee Talbot boomed a 25 yard shot past Weaver early in the second and Orient looked very comfortable as they were controlling play in the match. Millwall rallied in the late stages as they pushed players forward. The equalizer came when Mark Harper crossed back to Charley Hearn. Hearn, who was coming into the play late, deflected it past James Hicks and the match went to extra-time. In the second half of extra-time, the young Orient backline stumbled as Chris Campbell couldn't keep up with Frank Brands and Brands scored when he fired a shot that Hicks stopped, but the ball got through him. Brands was first to the ball as it lay on the line and pushed it in. Brands then took a nice pass from Danny Coid and rifled a shot past the despondant Hicks. Orient got a goal back when Robert Vittek accidently flicked his header past Weaver while trying to push it over the bar, but it was too little and much too late for Orient as they will now board their flight to Yokohama to face Corinthians in the Inter-Continental Cup on a down note.

"Frustrating match, but mostly I was disappointed to see the lack of composure from Hicks in the late portions of the match," offered Colley.

"Though we didn't have our best lineup out there, I still expected to see more from some of the players- I have to agree it was a disappointing effort," replied Drabek.

Corinthians (0) Leyton Orient (4) Inter-Continental Cup

Corinthians- None

Orient- D.Poole 27,34,87 J.Reynolds 54

It was another huge celebration for Leyton Orient as they decisively defeated Corinthians to capture their 5th straight Inter-Continental Cup. In that string Orient has defeated 5 different South American powers- Sao Paulo, Independiente, Vasco, Racing and now Corinthians- in a remarkable display of consistency. David Poole turned in another heavenly effort on the national stage as his hat-trick and assist led Orient to the easy win. The opening moments of the match were a bit dicey for Orient, as Jan Evrard went out with an injury and the introduction of Titus Bramble affected the chemistry of the backline. Corinthians missed close on one opportunity, saw Sebastien Frey make a huge save on Anderson and Lee Sims clear a ball off the line in first ten minutes of play. The backline steadied after that and Corinthians wound up on their backheels after that as the Orient attack moved into high gear. Lusinho made an excellent save on Jason Reynolds in the early moments and also smothered a good chance from Poole. He didn't have as much luck when Steed Malbranque whipped a blast off the inside of the right post from the edge of the area. The ball bounced back out behind Lusinho and he didn't have time to react before Poole drove the rebound into the goal for his 20th goal this season. Orient moved ahead 2-0 on the pure effort of Reynolds and Poole. Reynolds outmuscled Cristiano for a ball on the left sideline and then burst past him into the area. Lusinho was lured into a challenge by Reynolds' long dribble, but Reynolds got to the ball before he could smother it and knocked it past him. Poole had come roaring up the pitch and had a step lead on Kleber- enough to allow him to push the loose ball into the goal to make it a brace. Poole was the architect as Orient extended the lead early in the second half. Poole took a nice chip-in pass from Lee Sims and crossed smartly to unmarked Reynolds, who had an easy time pushing his shot into the open left side of the goal for his 10th goal of the season. Poole then completed his hat-trick when handed the chance as Jonatas de Costa, on for struggling Lusinho, lost the handle on a backpass and let it get too far away from him. Poole rapped in the loose ball as the Corinthian fans began leaving the stadium before the final whistle.

"A truly exceptional effort from David (Poole) today," said an ecstatic Drabek.

"It will be a nice flight back to England," beamed Colley.

"I think it was the happiest I have seen Steed Malbranque. It is great to see a player coming to the close of a great career and still able to enjoy these type of moments."

"Is that why he got the start?"

"Partially. I knew I was probably going to start him when I played Lee Talbot against Millwall."

"Well, Danny Byrne will miss the Dortmund match," grumbled Drabek.

"It would be worse if the match meant us qualifying, but since both Dortmund and us are qualified already..."

"True. I think I will give Steve Massey a shot on leftwing and move Daniel Fredheim Holm over to the right for this one."

"Don't be surprised if Daniel's instincts aren't as good- we haven't had him on the right side in quite some time."

"I will make allowances for that, I just want him ready to go if Byrne's injury keeps him out longer than we anticipate."

Dortmund (1) Leyton Orient (1) Champions Cup Group E

Dortmund- P.Maier 77

Orient- J.Reynolds 29

Dortmund fought back for an equalizer in the second half and the 1-1 draw allowed them to finish in 1st place in Group E play, with Orient a point behind in 2nd place as both qualified to move on in the competition. Orient was clearly the fresher club in the first half and used it to good advantage. Steve Massey lofted a beautiful chip pass over Jorg Born and Jason Reynolds finished nicely as he drove a shot past Roman Weidenfeller. Orient missed a couple more good opportunities to add to the lead as David Poole was ruled offside on a goal that Reynolds deflected in. Weidenfeller was obviously relieved when a scorching shot from Stephen Pearson hit the outside of the post. Dortmund rallied at halftime and began to finally put pressure on Orient. The equalizer saw a rare mistake from Sebastien Frey, as he lost the handle on the ball after a hard shot from Lars Drews and Peter Maier beat Carl Laurie to the ball as he hooked it into the open goal to even things. Neither side managed another good scoring chance in the match and Orient had to settle for the draw and 2nd place in Group play.

"One more goal in the first half and we would have had them," Drabek sighed.

"We had the chances for that goal, it just didn't go in," replied Colley.

"It doesn't matter that much, there are no easy touches left after Group play anyways."

"Like you said, no easy touches left..." chuckled Colley.

"Well, I was hoping for somebody else, but Bayern will be a very good test for us in the 2nd round," answered Drabek.

Newcastle (1) Leyton Orient (0)

Newcastle- M.Chopra 45

Orient- None

MOM- Michael Chopra, Newcastle

Newcastle played a very steady defensive match and took advantage of an Orient mistake to edge them 1-0 at St.James Park. Orient found difficulty in their attempts to get forwards David Poole and Richard Ford free from the insistent marking of the Newcastle backline. Orient was doing a nice job on Michael Owen and Michael Chopra as well. The lone goal of the match came on a scramble in front of the Orient goal following a Markus Feulner free kick. Chris Sutton's ineffectual clearance created a sitter for Chopra and Sebastien Frey got a hand on the shot, but it slipped inside the post for Chopra's 5th goal of the season in first half injury time. Newcastle settled down to frustrate Orient in the second half and did well as they continually cut out passes as Orient tried to move up the pitch. The final whistle found Orient frustrated as they headed to the dressing room with a 1-0 loss on the scoreboard.

"They played better than us," simply stated Drabek.

"Defensively they did, we played solidly- except for the goal they got," answered Colley.

"We just couldn't get the ball out to our wings today."

Leyton Orient (1) West Ham (0)

Orient- M.Bates 41

West Ham- None

It was a struggle for Orient, but Michael Bates made his debut a memorable one as he scored the only goal in the match in a close 1-0 win at Brisbane Road. Adam Steele played well for West Ham in goal and in particular frustrated MOM David Poole. Poole continually escaped marking, but had little to show for several good scoring chances as Steele came up with the save against him every time. Even on the lone goal of the match, Steele made the initial save. James Rowe lofted a ball at the net and Steele parried it into the air. Michael Bates leapt and flicked it past Steele for his 1st ever Senior goal in his debut. Poole's frustration continued in the second half as he failed to add to the lead due to Steele's work in goal. James Hicks wasn't unduly tested by West Ham as he earned the clean sheet with strong support from the Orient midfield and backline.

"Some encouraging signs today," said a pleased Drabek.

"I liked the steady work from James Hicks in goal today," agreed Colley.

"That was a welcome sign, but seeing Bates step up and able to score that goal was great. It was nice to see Jamie Donnelly impacting a game again for us."

"He badly wanted to score."

"I know, he will get more chances- I am not burying him on the bench."

2014-15 EPL Table- Midseason

1- Leyton Orient 41 pts (+25)

2- Chelsea 37 pts (+17)

3- Manchester United 37 pts (+16)

4- Birmingham 33 pts (+1)

5- Arsenal 32 pts (+12)

6- Millwall 31 pts (+7)

7- Middlesbrough 31 pts (+5)

8- Newcastle 31 pts (+1)

</pre>

Bolton (0) Leyton Orient (2)

Bolton- None

Orient- D.Poole 15 J.Reynolds 22

Orient used the tried and true combination of scoring from their forwards, midfield pressure and solid keeping to earn another win- this time 2-0 at Reebok Stadium. Bolton tried to gain the upper hand early, but found their attack blunted by the hard work and hard tackling of the Orient midfield. Orient struck for the lead when Carl Laurie made a beautiful through ball to Jason Reynolds. Jesus Jurardo completely lost track of David Poole steaming down the right side of the pitch and Bolton paid the price for his inattentiveness when Reynolds lofted a pass over Neil Gould and Jurardo which Poole slammed into the open right side of the goal for the lead. Laurie was on the money with another through ball to Reynolds and this time Gould and Jurardo both missed tackles on the elusive Reynolds and he whipped his shot past Chris Howarth. Orient contented themselves with helping Sebastien Frey earn another clean sheet while having to be wary of the myriad of yellow cards the referee was handing out as the match got rougher in the second half. The final whistle found Orient pleased to be heading home with a 2-0 win in the books.

"Nice formula for success- we followed it again," offered a pleased Colley.

"If we can get the lead like that- there shouldn't be many matches where we let it get away," agreed Drabek.

"That is a nice Christmas present!" exclaimed Drabek.

"Which one would that be?"

"Tony Chamberlain just called me. They feel that Danilo Arrieta is ready to begin full training again."

"That is nice. Getting him back this time of the year should help us as the schedule starts to jumble again."

Leyton Orient (2) Middlesbrough (0)

Orient- D.Poole 14,44

Middlesbrough- None

Orient built another first half lead and then coasted to another win as they clamped down on visiting Middlesbrough in the second half to finish off a 2-0 win at Brisbane Road. Danny Byrne again showed his delicate passing touch is an important trigger in the Orient offense as he slipped a pass by Rob Grant to David Poole and Poole snapped a shot past Robert Olejnik inside the right post for an early Orient lead. Orient failed to build on the lead despite strong play in the Middlesbrough zone through most of the rest of the first half, but Poole made it a brace as he proved adept at being in the right place. In a scramble after Olejnik punched away Steve Senior's deflection of a corner, Poole pounced on the ball as it squirted out of a group of players and his shot was past Olejnik before the keeper could react to Poole's 25th goal of the season. Orient showed restraint in the second half as they attacked in a conservative, ball-control fashion and ate up plenty of time. Middlesbrough found themselves unable to breakdown the Orient center mids as Stephen Pearson and Jan Kristiansen (on for Matt Morris) appeared to make timely interceptions whenever the visitors threatened as Orient helped Kasper Schmeichel to a clean sheet in the 2-0 win.

"Another fine effort, we are playing steady, controlling football," said a pleased Drabek.

"It helps to gain the lead and David (Poole) just keeps doing that for us," agreed Colley.

Orient Transfer News

With the reopening of the transfer window, there are are several transfers to report that affect Leyton Orient. Leaving for a 6 Million transfer fee was defender Richard Carter to Newcastle. Carter was never able to establish himself on the Orient backline rotation and was pleased to be moving to a club where he will have a greater chance at starting. Also off to a new home at Coventry is Forward Davide Vanni for 5.5 Million. Vanni was never able to fulfil the great potential he showed when originally arriving at Orient and was also pleased for a new beginning. Arriving at Orient is 28 year old Scot Center back Michael Christie. Christie joins Orient for a 3.7 Million transfer fee from Spanish side Osasuna. A less costly purchase was 19 year old Swedish Forward Johan Bergstrand from Halmstad for 750K.

In related news, young Orient Center back Steve Senior commented that he was a bit worried about all the competition for places in the starting backline and let his anger get the best of him in relating that he had no plans to yield his starting role. Orient Manager Will Drabek sought to calm the troubled waters, but did say that he was more concerned about the club's success than any individual player's feelings. The signing of Christie reportedly triggered an upswing in jersey purchases as the club's faithful was pleased by the big-name signing.

Sunderland (0) Leyton Orient (2) FA Cup 3rd Round

Sunderland- None

Orient- D.Arrieta 2 L.Doherty 72-P

MOM- James Hicks, Leyton Orient

Orient celebrated the return of Danilo Arrieta from his injury that had kept him out since early in the season. Jeremie Aliadiere's brilliant pass allowed Arrieta to cut inside of Peter Williams and strike a rocket shot past Danny Bullock inside the left post to get Orient off to a flying start in the match. Orient missed another chance to add to their advantage when Lee Doherty's penalty kick was saved by Bullock after Mark Marshall's handball in the area. Sunderland found that James Hicks was in fine form today, enroute to MOM honours, as he made diving stops on both Danny Garner and Shaun White to keep the clean sheet. Doherty didn't miss his 2nd penalty kick as White was called for a handball in the area and that proved to be plenty of scoring to support Hicks' clean sheet in the 2-0 win that advances Orient to the next round.

"It was nice to see James Hicks back on the beam," observed Colley.

"He certainly seemed a lot more confident today. I thought we played a solid, if not scintallating match overall," agreed Drabek.

Bristol City (0) Leyton Orient (0)

Bristol- None

Orient- None

MOM- Paul Bell, Bristol City

Bristol City survived furious Orient pressure and a penalty kick to split the points with their favored visitors in a scoreless draw at Ashton Gate. The tone of the match was set early by Orient as they challenged keeper Paul Bell with a couple tricky shots, but Bell was equal to the challenge. A trip of Jamie Donnelly by ex-Orient William Flood gave Orient a penalty kick in the opening moments, but Bell made a diving stop on Dave Davidson's penalty kick. Led by Donnelly, Richard Ford and James Wright Orient swirled around the Bristol City area through much of both halves, but Bell continued to keep things tidy. James Hicks did likewise as he made the scoreline remain at 0-0 thanks to a couple saves as Bristol City was able to manage on the counterattack.

"It could have been a win, but Bell played too well," commented Colley.

"Better execution and it could easily have been a win. There were many small things we didn't execute today."

Leyton Orient (2) Manchester United (1)

Orient- J.Reynolds 56,83

ManU- C.Ronaldo 45

MOM- Lee Sims, Leyton Orient

The packed house at Brisbane Road was worried as Leyton Orient fell behind to Manchester United 1-0 at halftime. Jason Reynolds subbed on for a tiring Danilo Arrieta and sparked a splendid Orient fightback as they won the showdown match between the top placed clubs in EPL 2-1. The first half saw Manchester United Keeper John Wilson on fire as he made spectacular saves on Arrieta and David Poole in the early going. ManU had a difficult time getting their shots on goal as James Graham, Cristiano Ronaldo and Andres D'Alessandro all missed over the net on good opportunities. It appeared the match would be scoreless going to halftime, but Ronaldo changed that when he took a throw-in and danced past the tackle of Jan Evrard before driving a shot inside the far left post past Sebastien Frey. Orient rallied when Reynolds came on early in the second half. A well-timed through ball from Steed Malbranque found Reynolds on the fly and he slipped his shot past Wilson as he tried to challenge. The match reverted to a see-saw affair as both sides staged attacks up and down the pitch. Ronaldo missed inches wide to the huge relief of the crowd. Moments later David Poole slid a pass forward and Reynolds raced past Rio Ferdinand to reach it first. Reynolds' long dribble tantalized Wilson as he tried to come out and smother the ball, but Reynolds was first to the ball and chipped it past Wilson into the goal for a dramatic match-winner. It was Reynolds' 50th goal at Orient as well and the large crowd celebrated the fightback win when the final whistle sounded.

"The heart and determination remain," grinned Drabek.

"It was a great win for us- to be sure," agreed Colley.

"Bad news Will."

Drabek sighed, "What now Dave?"

"Physios just got back with me. Michael Christie should have surgery to correct his groin problem."

"I was afraid of that. How long do they expect him to be out?"

"He likely won't be healed until Summer."

"Ok, we'll just have to do without him then."

"Worse though is that Michael is so frustrated with another injury that he is thinking about retiring."

"Hmm, I guess we'll just have to see how his surgery and rehab goes. I will try and offer him some encouragement today."

Tottenham (0) Leyton Orient (0)

Tottenham- None

Orient- None

MOM- Tim Howard, Tottenham

Another brilliant effort by Tim Howard against Leyton Orient drew standing ovations from the sold out White Hart Lane crowd after Tottenham had managed to finish a scoreless draw against Orient. The chances for Orient to win the match were excellent, but Howard came up with two spectacular saves on David Poole in the first half and then made saves on Jason Reynolds, after he came on for Danilo Arrieta, and on Phil Bradley, after he came on for Lee Talbot, in preserving a well earned clean sheet and earning MOM honours. Tottenham had a couple chances of their own, but Sebastien Frey made good saves on Robbie Keane and Stephen Appiah. Frey wasn't able to complete the clean sheet himself, as he left with an undisclosed injury late in the second half and Kasper Schmeichel had to finish out the scoreless draw for Orient.

"Howard certainly seems to have our number, more times than not," muttered Drabek.

"I thought Poole's 2nd shot was by him, til he got his fingertips on it and pushed it over," agreed Colley.

"The effort and execution were there, but just not the goals today."

"You mean you are actually spending transfer money?" asked Colley with a grin on his face.

Drabek laughed, "Yes, I know Dave. Still I thought he was worth making an offer on."

"Did we even have any scouting reports on him? I don't remember seeing any..."

"Well, no." Drabek sheepishly grinned. "I went on my instinct and having seen him play a couple matches. He is a versatile player that can help us in a lot of places along the backline or maybe even midfield. I really think he might be the future replacement for Stephen Pearson."

"Is that how you are planning on using him?"

"To start with- yes."

Orient Signs Adrion

Highly sought after German 21 year old D/DMRLC Stefan Adrion agreed to join Leyton Orient after reviewing all the offers from the 7 clubs that were reportedly bidding for his services. Adrion is well regarded for his past work on the National Under-21 side and hoped that his moving to Orient would provide the springboard to earn a place on the National side. Orient paid 3.3 Million to FC Bayern for promising young German.

Leyton Orient (3) Sheffield Wednesday (0) FA Cup 4th Round

Orient- J.Bergstrand 13,72 J.Donnelly 78

Wednesday- None

MOM- Johan Bergstrand, Leyton Orient

A terrific debut by Orient's young Swedish forward silenced critics as he earned MOM honours in leading Orient to a 3-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday at Brisbane Road. Bergstrand showed his terrific acceleration as he split Adam Brown and Markus Karcher to get to a loose ball and drive it past Andreas Isakkson to give Orient the early lead. Orient maintained control of the flow of play over Division 1 Wednesday and though it took some time they put the match away in the second half. Bergstrand made it a brace when he deflected a looping cross from Matt Morris past Isakkson midway through the second half. Jamie Donnelly then added his 1st goal of the season with a sharp angled shot that caught the right corner of the net to finish off the strong 3-0 Orient win.

"Good debuts from both Bergstrand and Adrion," observed Colley.

"Yes, I was pleased with both of their play. The only player I was disappointed in was Jeremie Aliadiere."

"He did not play well this match, but it also could have been from a sickness.'

"I am not sure we really need him," stated Colley.

"I think he can help us. A left footed, polished center defender who can provide cover for Jan Evrard has value to us," answered Drabek.

"You're the boss," shrugged Colley.

Orient Lands Ryan

Leyton Orient today announced the transfer purchase of 24 year old English center defender John Ryan from Leeds. Ryan, who had just begun appearing on the National side this summer, was apparently purchased for his 5.5 Million minimum fee release. Orient Manager Will Drabek stated, "John will certainly work into our backline rotation." It has been speculated that this move may indicate that Jan Evrard will be allowed to move back to his native Belgium at some point in the future. A rumour from the Orient camp is that the signing caused Steve Senior some consternation, as he reportedly feels there is too much competition for spots.

Leyton Orient (1) Birmingham (0)

Orient- J.Reynolds 67

Birmingham- None

Orient dominated visiting Birmingham at Brisbane Road, but came away with only a 1-0 win for their efforts. A look at the statistics reveals how much Orient controlled the match as they outshot the visitors 22-2 for the match and many Orient chances were good ones. The fact that Orient was only able to put one goal up on the scoreboard is a testament to the fine play of Birmingham Keeper Lee Donnelly, who was acrobatic in his efforts to keep his side in the match. Donnelly came up with superb first half saves against David Poole, Jason Reynolds and Jan Kristiansen in keeping things scoreless at halftime. The lone goal came in the second half when Kristiansen threaded a pass through traffic and found Reynolds alone in the six-yard box. Reynolds drilled his shot past Donnelly before he could make a move to earn Orient a deserved lead. Sebastien Frey had an easy time putting a clean sheet up as neither of Birmingham's shots were anywhere near the net.

"Good thing Jason (Reynolds) got that goal," sighed Drabek. "I thought we weren't going to get one the way Donnelly was playing."

"Donnelly had a terrific match, to be sure," agreed Colley.

"David (Poole) just couldn't shake their coverage today."

"They marked him well- the entire match. It was a bad day for Managers today."

"It was? Who got let go?"

"Ruud Gullit was fired by Tottenham and Gwyn Williams was sent packing at Liverpool."

Drabek surpressed a shudder, "Glad we don't have to worry about that right now."

Thanks Gino- glad to see you back around these parts icon_smile.gif Tale seems like forever since it started icon_wink.gif

Everton (4) Leyton Orient (4)

Everton- T.Atieno 22 A.Gilardino 53 M.Harris 69 F.Thompson 87

Orient- D.Poole 13 R.Hunt 35 D.Arrieta 74,78

It was a wild televised match that had all the twists and turns that you might expect of a thriller as Orient managed a 4-4 draw against Everton at Goodison Park. Orient struck first when David Poole ran on to a loose ball and fired a sharp angled shot past Richard Wright inside the far left post. Everton equalized when Taiwo Atieno drilled a ball off the inside of the right post past Sebastien Frey. Orient took the lead again when Richard Hunt, making his 1st appearance after a lengthy while off with injury, showed his blistering pace in scooting down the left side and firing a scorching shot past Wright. Everton rallied at halftime and began applying pressure, while the Orient backline began cracking. Albert Gilardino caught Orient defenders moving forward and zipped past them on a quick counterattack that allowed him to take the ball around Frey to equalize. Michael Harris then took advantage of the Orient backline reluctance to challenge him as he blasted a shot past Frey, who clearly should have been able to get a hand on it, for his 1st goal. Orient answered with a quickfire double from Danilo Arrieta as he came on in the supersub role again and scored to get Orient even and then made it a brace off a good pass from Poole. Orient couldn't hang on for the win as Fredy William Thompson deflected a late corner past Frey to make the final score of the wild match 4-4.

"As good as Sebastien Frey and Richard Wright have been- this match was their worst in awhile," stated Drabek.

"Our backline gave Sebastien little help. We didn't have much in the way of teamwork out there today."

"Something we need a lot of work in training on, we can't afford to play matches like this."

Leyton Orient (2) WBA (0)

Orient- D.Poole 32 J.Kristiansen 65

WBA- None

MOM- Carl Laurie, Leyton Orient

Orient used a smothering defensive effort, supported by sparks of a sputtering offense to see off visiting WBA 2-0 at Brisbane Road. It looked like Orient was handed the lead in the opening moments when Angelo Palombo tripped Lee Talbot in the area. David Poole looked confident as he stepped up to take the penalty, indeed it had been two seasons since he had missed converting a penalty kick, but Keeper Alexander Walke guessed correctly and tipped Poole's blast around the right upright. Poole had his revenge when Stephen Pearson found him lurking unmarked just outside the six-yard box. Poole lined and up and drilled a shot past Walke inside the right post. WBA managed a small rally, but Sebastien Frey tipped Martin Stewart's rising shot over the crossbar to keep things tidy for Orient. Orient placed a stranglehold on the midfield in the second half and looked much more comfortable as Pearson laid the ball off for Jan Kristiansen just inside the edge of the area and Kristiansen's well placed shot eluded Walke's dive to make the score 2-0. Led by MOM Carl Laurie, Orient maintained control of their area for the rest of the match in helping Frey to a clean sheet in the 2-0 win.

"Not exactly our best match," observed Colley.

"One of those where we leaned on our defense and played just well enough to take all three points offensively," agreed Drabek.

"It was good to see Carl (Laurie) get some recognition for a change."

"He deserved it. He and Lee Sims really took WBA out of the game."

Leyton Orient (2) Chelsea (1) FA Cup 5th Round

Orient- R.Hunt 23 J.Reynolds 67

Chelsea- H.Viana 90

MOM- Peter Wilkinson, Leyton Orient

Leyton Orient survived a late rally by Chelsea to move on in the FA Cup competition as they edged them 2-1 at Brisbane Road. The first half was evenly played and both sides demonstrated effective coverage in their areas as the number of scoring chances was limited. Orient scored the only goal of the first half when Marcos parried away Jan Evrard's header on a cross from Carl Laurie, only to see Richard Hunt swoop in and hammer the rebound past him. The second half started out the same way as the first with both sides playing stifling defense. The tenor of the match changed when Jason Reynolds deflected a Peter Wilkinson corner past Marcos to make it 2-0. The play opened up appreciably as Chelsea tried to rally. Sebastien Frey was closing on another clean sheet when he yielded a late consolation goal to Hugo Viana on a 25 yard free kick in second half injury time. Orient was able to keep their lead to the final whistle and will now move on in the competition.

"It was a lot more comfortable before Hugo Viana hit that free kick," sighed Drabek.

"At least we won. I was surprised that Peter Wilkinson was given the MOM."

"He earned it. His runs created problems all day for them- they didn't think they were going to see the equal of Danny Byrne- with him suspended for the match."

"Well, they will want revenge when we face them again in a week."

"True, sometimes I dislike these scheduling quirks that bring us back so quickly."

Leyton Orient (3) Chelsea (0)

Orient- J.Bergstrand 25,37 D.Poole 36

Chelsea- None

MOM- Daniel Fredheim Holm, Leyton Orient

Leyton Orient provided their Brisbane Road faithful with a much more comfortable win over returning Chelsea as they scored 3 first half goals and then played throttling second half defense in maintaining that scoreline as the final margin. It was a surprise for Orient fans to see Johan Bergstrand starting this match, after all both Jason Reynolds and Richard Hunt were available for the match. Their wonder at the choice disappeared in the first roar of emotion as Bergstrand lofted a delicate chip over Marcos to give Orient the lead. David Poole then added to the lead by deflecting Daniel Fredheim Holm's cross past the aging Brazilian Keeper. Less than two minutes later it was Bergstrand's turn to flick a header past Marcos, again off a cross from Fredheim Holm. Orient showed a strong defensive effort in the second half and Sebastien Frey was steady on the few Chelsea scoring opportunities in closing out another clean sheet in the 3-0 win.

"Why Bergstrand Will? You didn't tell me..."

"Because I wanted to show them something different, something they didn't expect or plan for."

"Johan certainly did that- that first chip over Marcos was a beauty."

"Well, they were bound to be planning on Jason Reynolds or Hunt partnering with Poole- it threw them off balance with Johan because he is a different type of forward."

EPL Table- 28 played, 10 remaining

1- Leyton Orient 62 pts (+36)

2- Arsenal 56 pts (+24)

3- Manchester United 56 pts (+21)

4- Chelsea 46 pts (+10)

5- Tottenham 46 pts (+9)

6- Birmingham 46 pts (-2)

7- Everton 44 pts (+11)

</pre>

FC Bayern (1) Leyton Orient (0) Champions Cup 2nd Round Leg 1

Bayern- M.Forssell 38

Orient- None

MOM- Andreas Holzer, FC Bayern

A brilliant display of work in goal propelled FC Bayern to a 1-0 win over Leyton Orient in the first leg of their 2nd Round Champions Cup matchup. FC Bayern struck for their goal on a pretty passing play in the first half when Diego made a good run with the ball and then picked out Mickael Forssell unmarked in front of the goal. Forssell snapped his shot and though Sebastien Frey got a hand on the ball, he could not keep the ball out of the goal. With the lead, Bayern played a conservative second half and their backline ferociously supported the scintallating play of Andreas Holzer. Holzer earned both a clean sheet and MOM honours as he made at least a half-dozen critical saves on excellent Orient scoring chances. Two of those were against Richard Hunt, but he also made a diving parry on Jason Reynolds and two superb saves on Danilo Arrieta in the closing moments of the match. The loss clearly puts Orient's chances of winning another Champions Cup in doubt as they head home for a 2nd leg match at Brisbane Road.

"We played well, they just were a shade better," stated Drabek.

"Well, Holzer was better. I think overall we outplayed them- after all, we outshot them 14-5 for the match."

"Only the scoreline matters though."

Southampton (0) Leyton Orient (0) FA Cup 5th Round

Southampton- None

Orient- None

MOM- David Prutton, Southampton

Leyton Orient never got untracked offensively against Southampton and were forced to survive a sending off in the second half to gain a replay against Southampton. Southampton's prize young midfielder- Brian Higgins- gave the Orient midfield fits the entire match. Higgins came close on a couple flashy, long shots but they skittered over the bar. Kasper Schmeichel made timely saves on David Prutton and Tom Thorpe, but most of the home sides shots were sailing high or wide today. Orient managed only 4 shots the entire match and none of those chances were particularly troubling for Robert Green in maintaining a scoreless sheet. Dave Davidson drew his 2nd yellow card at 82 minutes and Schmeichel had to be sharp to come out and smother a loose ball in the area with Tom Thorpe lurking unmarked in the waning moments.

"A pretty poor effort- other than defensively," remarked Drabek.

"I wasn't happy with any of our offensive components today, we didn't move the ball, we didn't look for good shots..."

"At least we survived to play one at Brisbane Road."

Southampton (0) Leyton Orient (0) FA Cup 5th Round

Southampton- None

Orient- None

MOM- David Prutton, Southampton

Leyton Orient never got untracked offensively against Southampton and were forced to survive a sending off in the second half to gain a replay against Southampton. Southampton's prize young midfielder- Brian Higgins- gave the Orient midfield fits the entire match. Higgins came close on a couple flashy, long shots but they skittered over the bar. Kasper Schmeichel made timely saves on David Prutton and Tom Thorpe, but most of the home sides shots were sailing high or wide today. Orient managed only 4 shots the entire match and none of those chances were particularly troubling for Robert Green in maintaining a scoreless sheet. Dave Davidson drew his 2nd yellow card at 82 minutes and Schmeichel had to be sharp to come out and smother a loose ball in the area with Tom Thorpe lurking unmarked in the waning moments.

"A pretty poor effort- other than defensively," remarked Drabek.

"I wasn't happy with any of our offensive components today, we didn't move the ball, we didn't look for good shots..."

"At least we survived to play one at Brisbane Road."

Leyton Orient (1) FC Bayern (1) Champions Cup 2nd Round Leg 2 FC Bayern advances on 2-1 aggregate

Orient- R.Hunt 43

Bayern- Diego 90

MOM- Jan Roth, FC Bayern

The King is dead, long live the King.

Leyton Orient's amazing run of 5 consecutive Champions Cup titles came to a stunning halt when the club they defeated to win the title last season- FC Bayern- scored in second half injury time to broom them from the competition. Orient, down a goal on aggregate due to their 1-0 loss at Bayern, had to be aggressive offensively at Brisbane Road. The first half saw Bayern launch only the occasional counter-attack as they sought to thwart Orient. Just before halftime Orient finally found a way to get past the stubborn Bayern backline as Jan Evrard threaded a through ball to Richard Hunt and Hunt snapped a shot past Andreas Holzer. Orient kept pressuring the visitors, clearly hoping to gain the lead, but excellent work by the entire Bayern side- and especially Holzer in goal- kept Orient from gaining good scoring chances. It appeared the match would head into Extra-time, but Juan Albin made a nice move with the ball and left Lee Sims sliding on the pitch with a missed tackle. Steve Senior came over to close Albin down but he crossed to the middle and Diego showed superb timing in snapping his header past Sebastien Frey while being challenged in the air by Evrard in second half injury time. The goal stunned and silenced the sold out Brisbane Road crowd and they knew that Orient was out- with Bayern now having the aggregate and away goal lead. The crowd roused themselves for a standing ovation for their revered side as they trudged despondantly off the pitch.

Drabek slumped in his chair, "It was a great run Dave, but it was bound to end sometime. With all the close calls we have had over the past 5 seasons- I am amazed it hadn't ended sooner."

"I knew we were going to have problems with Bayern. They were a difficult club to draw this early- especially with the motivation that we had knocked them off to gain the Cup last season."

"It was a good effort, I can't say I am displeased with our play- they just played a bit better than us."

Leyton Orient (1) Southampton (0)

Orient- D.Poole 70

Southampton- None

In a preview of the same two clubs who will meet in a midweek replay, also at Brisbane Road, it was Orient who found a way to score and edged visiting Southampton 1-0. The match was rough and featured many fouls and redcards as the two clubs clearly do not care much for each other. Neither side managed many good scoring chances and the only shots in the first half were long ones from both sides. Orient sputtered to start the second half, but seemed to gain offensive life when valuable Jan Kristiansen sparked them as he came off the bench to replace Phil Bradley. Kristiansen's awareness allowed him to make the deft chip pass that found David Poole with space in the area. Poole took a pause and then cracked a hard shot past Robert Green for not only the match-winner, but also helped him earn MOM honours. James Hicks had to make one difficult save to preserve the win and his clean sheet as he tipped a rising blast from Rezvan Rat over the bar late in second half.

"Difficult match. Glad we found a way to get the win," stated Drabek.

"Difficult and rough. The referee didn't call anything close to what he could have- maybe that is why it was so rough," replied Colley.

Leyton Orient (4) Southampton (0) FA Cup 6th Round Replay

Orient- J.Reynolds 13 R.Hunt 33,51 S.Pearson 57

Southampton- None

MOM- Stephen Pearson, Leyton Orient

Southampton ran into a buzzsaw in their FA Cup Replay, as the Orient high-octane offense appeared and razed the Southampton backline on their way to an easy 4-0 win. Orient was clearly the better club early in the match and took the lead when Richard Hunt crossed to the middle. Jason Reynolds darted free of his marker to head the ball inside the left post past Robert Green. Stephen Pearson then sent a through ball to Hunt that allowed him to take the ball around Green to give Orient a 2-0 halftime lead. Orient dashed the glimmer of Southampton's hopes early in the second half as Danny Byrne terrorized their backline with his rightside runs. Byrne took the ball down and delivered a perfect cross for Hunt to deflect past Green to make it a brace for Hunt. Shortly after it was Pearson who slashed a 20 yard shot past Green after Byrne laid the ball off for him just inside the edge of the area. Byrne then caused Fitz Hall to trip him in the area, but Green managed to parry away Daniel Fredheim Holm's penalty kick. Orient held firm control of the match with the lead and Sebastien Frey notched the clean sheet. Orient will now move on to play Portsmouth in the Semifinal, while Preston and Arsenal will face off in the other Semifinal.

"Much improved effort, I think it was due to Stephen Pearson's animated play," commented Colley.

"Not only that, but Jason (Reynolds) and Richard (Hunt) were getting free all over their area- they just didn't have the legs to stay with us today."

Millwall (1) Leyton Orient (1)

Millwall- F.Brands 23

Orient- D.Poole 7

It was a superb duel between Keepers Nicky Weaver and Sebastien Frey and in the end both clubs had to settle for a 1-1 draw at The New Den. Each side found a way to score in the first half and Orient took the lead when Peter Bradley slid a pass through traffic and David Poole put the punctuation point on the play with a good shot just inside the near right post past Weaver. Millwall answered as Robert Vittek laid the ball off and Frank Brands fired a booming blast that Frey got a hand on, but could not keep out of the goal. Both sides had plenty of good scoring chances in the second half, but the two Keepers were showing stellar form as they kept the match locked up at 1-1. Weaver came up with the save of the match as he ruined a great chance by Danilo Arrieta after Poole's fine pass picked out Arrieta unmarked in front of the goal.

"That is one of the best matches Sebastien has had this season," observed Colley.

"He was in fine form. A win would have been nicer, but the draw is a fair result for a well played match."

"Did you see Spencer (Field) got a new job today?" asked Colley of Drabek.

"No, I didn't. Who did he take over?"

"Bournemouth."

"Ah, the Cherries. Well, I offered him a job on our staff- but he only wanted to keep Managing now- so turned me down politely."

Coventry (0) Leyton Orient (0)

Coventry- None

Orient- None

MOM- Steven Graham, Coventry

Orient could only board the bus home with frustration as they dominated Coventry, but weren't able to score and wound up with a scoreless draw. Orient's control of play is clear in the stats as they outshot the home side 17-1 for the match. Sebastien Frey had a very easy clean sheet in this one as Coventry never truly threatened to score. Orient moved the ball well, but the Coventry backline showed a determination not evident for much of this season as their timely tackling helped keep the Orient pressure from overwhelming Keeper Steven Graham. Graham offered a dazzling display of keeping as he stopped David Poole, Jason Reynolds, Stephen Pearson, Danny Byrne and Stefan Adrion in one-on-one situations. The crowd at Highfield Road gave Graham a standing ovation as the MOM honour was announced.

Drabek sighed, "I don't know what more we could have done Dave. I wanted to get the win here..."

"Not much you can do, when a Keeper is playing with that much 'second-sight' in goal. He guessed right every time he needed to today."

Leyton Orient (4) Leeds (0)

Orient- R.Hunt 7,34 D.Arrieta 69 S.Pearson 73

Leeds- None

MOM- Stephen Pearson, Leyton Orient

Orient had an easier road to a convincing win when ex-Orient defender Ben Hutchinson lost his cool in the opening moments of the match and received two yellow cards and a very early shower. Orient turned that extra space on the pitch into goals as David Poole hooked a ball across the goal and Richard Hunt drove it past John Abbott. Hunt made it a brace when he deflected a cross from Jason Reynolds, playing rightwing today, past Abbott for his 100th League Goal. Orient held firm sway over the entire match and Danilo Arrieta chipped in with a goal on a fine pass from Stephen Pearson. Pearson then capped the scoring for the match with a curving 25 yard blast as Orient rolled to a comfortable 4-0 win at Brisbane Road.

"It was nice to get a few goals again, after that struggle against Coventry," observed Colley.

"Ben (Hutchinson) gifted us this win. He couldn't believe he got the 2nd yellow that quickly."

"He said the 'magic' word to the referee- that's a guaranteed yellow."

EPL Table 32 matches played- 6 remaining

1- Leyton Orient 70 pts (+41)

2- Arsenal 66 pts (+29)

3- Manchester United 64 pts (+25)

4- Chelsea 56 pts (+16)

5- Tottenham 50 pts (+7)

6- Everton 49 pts (+12)

</pre>

Leyton Orient (1) Portsmouth (3) FA Cup Semifinal

Orient- J.Donnelly 90

Portsmouth- C.Bishop 15 V.Pericard 87 I.Holland 90

MOM- Vincent Pericard, Portsmouth

Portsmouth took advantage of Orient's stumbling performance as they handed them a humbling 3-1 loss at Wembley in the FA Cup Semifinal. Orient was clearly not on their game in this match, but none more than Keeper Kasper Schmeichel, who looked lost for much of the match. Schmeichel was completely out of position when Chris Bishop hit a looping header over him to give upstart Portsmouth the lead in the early going. Orient had problems breaking through the defense of the determined Portsmouth midfield and was left grasping at any avenue of approach as they ineffectively hit longballs over them. Orient rallied in the second half and forced Rob Adams to make a couple good saves to keep the underdog side in the lead. When Schmeichel misplayed a long pass and Vincent Pericard swooped in and around him it was clear the Orient morale was less than perfect. Jamie Donnelly gave Orient a brief moment of hope as he made a nice run and fired past Rob Adams just as the match reached second half injury time, but Portsmouth slammed the door on Orient when Ian Holland turned a quick counter attack into the clinching goal as he fired a low shot inside the far right post past Schmeichel to seal the 3-1 win that sends Portsmouth to the Finals.

"Brutally bad. I am embarrassed," murmured Drabek.

"We didn't do many of the things that got us here," agreed Colley.

"I was really disappointed in Kasper (Schmeichel)- I thought this would the match he shone in..."

"It was hard to say what was wrong, but his lack of concentration and confidence were key factors in our loss."

Manchester City (0) Leyton Orient (1)

Manchester City- None

Orient- R.Hunt 82

MOM- Richard Hunt, Leyton Orient

Orient was barely able to edge a hard, charging and determined Manchester City side but they used a late goal to win out 1-0 at City Stadium. Manchester City, still in the hunt for a place in Europe, clearly wanted this match badly and the first half featured them controlling large swaths of play. Orient leaned hard on vintage work from Sebastien Frey as his acrobatic and timely saves kept Orient even when things were still scoreless at halftime. Orient showed more offensive cohesion in the second half, but had little to show for their pressure. David Poole was uncharacteristically silent in the match and Orient was sparked by Jason Reynolds coming on for him. Reynolds made a superb run to set up the match winner as he ran past Mark Gray and Steve Gordon before his cross picked out Richard Hunt lurking on the other side of the goal. Hunt had come into the play late and had an easy time deflecting Reynolds' cross past Michael Cockerill for the winner. Orient played tough defense in closing out the home side to gain an important 1-0 road victory.

"Another close one," said a relieved Drabek.

"Jason's fire was the difference. Is David (Poole) just tired, or what?"

"I don't know, but David didn't really show much of anything today. I kept waiting for him to step up his play and he didn't."

Leyton Orient (5) Arsenal (1)

Orient- D.Byrne 13 R.Hunt 45,67 J.Evrard 77 D.Poole 90

Arsenal- Adriano 23

MOM- Richard Hunt, Leyton Orient

The showdown match between 1st place Orient and 2nd place Arsenal was all Orient in the second half as they blew open a close match and routed Arsenal 5-1, seemingly paving the way to clinch the EPL title in the next few matches. It was clear that Arsenal thought Orient was ripe for the picking this time around as Arsenal hadn't lost in their last 12 matches and Orient had struggled of late. Orient came out ready to rebuff those words in the press during the week and a brilliant run by Lee Talbot past Jerko Leko allowed Talbot to slot the ball for Danny Byrne and Byrne smashed it past Chris Kirkland to give Orient a quick lead. Arsenal answered with Leko making a pretty pass to Adriano as he split Lee Sims and Simon Campbell. Sebastien Frey made a diving parry of Adriano's first attempt, but Adriano fired the rebound past him to equalize with his 30th goal of the season. Frey kept Arsenal from taking the lead by stopping Adriano again later in the half and also turning a drive from James McFadden around the post. A beautifully scripted passing sequence returned the lead to Orient in first half injury time. Talbot slipped a pass up to David Poole. Poole then chipped a pass to unmarked Richard Hunt and Hunt's hard, boring shot trickled through Kirkland to move Orient ahead 2-1. Orient began putting the match beyond reach in the second half. Campbell headed down a free kick and Hunt blasted it past Kirkland for his brace and his 20th goal of the season and a 3-1 lead. Orient worked another free kick for a winner as Jan Evrard looped a header over Kirkland on a free kick from Talbot. Poole then capped the scoring by heading a long cross from Carl Laurie past the struggling Kirkland as Orient finished out a convincing 5-1 win.

"Whew," smiled Drabek.

"Great way to peg them back after all their talk in the press this week," agreed Colley.

"Now we are on the right track to capture the title one more time."

EPL Table- 34 played, 4 remaining

1- Leyton Orient 76 pts (+46)

2- Manchester United 70 pts (+31)

3- Arsenal 67 pts (+35)

</pre>

Aston Villa (0) Leyton Orient (2)

Villa- None

Orient- S.Pearson 2 D.Poole 50

Orient moved a step closer to claiming their 7th consecutive EPL title as they scored a workmanlike 2-0 win at Villa Park. Stephen Pearson got Orient off to a flying start with a fantastic 30 yard rocket past Luke Daniels in the opening moments of the match. Orient then stifled the home side with their throttling coverage of their midfielders and forwards. In the begining of the second half, it was Richard Hunt who danced past Neil Sutton on the dribble and then crossed to the near post. David Poole again showed his sniper instincts as he was there to flick the header past Daniels and give Orient a 2-0 cushion. The Orient defense again took over, though Villa sent men forward and started gaining chances. Sebastien Frey was everywhere he was needed as he put up a well earned clean sheet and Orient took an important 2-0 road win.

"A lovely effort today- exactly what I was hoping to see," beamed Drabek.

"Even lovlier goal- that one by Stephen Pearson is the best we have seen for us all season," agreed Colley.

Leyton Orient (1) Liverpool (0)

Orient- D.Byrne 20

Liverpool- None

MOM- Danny Byrne, Leyton Orient

7 EPL Titles in a row! The celebration for Leyton Orient began as they managed to edge Liverpool 1-0 at Brisbane Road. The win clinched Orient their 7th consecutive EPL crown and the faithful had an all-night party going in East London. Orient stifled the Liverpool attack all match as they only yielded 3 shots to the visitors. The lone goal in the match was a dazzling 30 yard curling free kick from Danny Byrne that tucked just inside the right post past the despondant Ross Flitney. With the lead, Orient put the complete defensive clamps on Liverpool and their only scoring chances were 3 shots from outside of 25 yards. It was another clean sheet for Sebastien Frey and another celebration for the little club made good.

"It's wonderful, same feeling as the first one," grinned Drabek.

"I don't know Will, it seems different- but the celebration is great nonetheless," beamed Colley.

West Ham (4) Leyton Orient (2)

West Ham- J.Rasmussen 3 S.Heywood 49-P A.Thomson 54,85

Orient- R.Hunt 1 D.Poole 5

MOM- Andy Thomson, West Ham

Orient started off flying on their visit to Upton Park, but couldn't sustain their effort as the home side fought back for an impressive 4-2 win. Orient grabbed the lead off the opening whistle as a quick pass from Stephen Pearson found Richard Hunt in full stride. Hunt drilled a 20 yard shot past Adam Steele and it appeared that Orient was off to the races. West Ham pegged back immediately when Jakob Rasmussen deflected a corner past Sebastien Frey to even things. Orient jumped right back into the lead as David Poole ghosted in and took a nice cross from Danny Byrne before burying a low shot past Steele into the far corner of the goal. With the lead going into halftime, Orient looked too comfortable coming to the second half and paid the price. Jan Evrard was called for a push on Andy Thomson in the area and Steve Heywood calmly converted the penalty kick to make things 2-2. Thomson then took over the match as he put the Orient backline to the sword. Heywood gave him a short cross that he hammered past Frey to give West Ham their first lead in the match. Orient struggled to rally and sent men forward, but paid the price as Thomson burst away from Evrard on a counter attack to make it a brace for himself and cemented MOM honours as he capped off the scoring in the 4-2 defeat for Orient.

"Hmm, mayhap we started celebrating at halftime," judged Drabek.

"Whatever- we didn't have nearly the same intensity in the second half," agreed Colley.

Leyton Orient (5) Newcastle (0)

Orient- L.Talbot 6,9,30 S.Pearson 36 D.Poole 86-P

Newcastle- None

MOM- Lee Talbot, Leyton Orient

Orient finished out the season in grand fashion as they routed visiting Newcastle to the delight of a packed Brisbane Road. Lee Talbot was the catalyst for the big Orient win as he managed a hat-trick in the first 30 minutes of play. Talbot scored a brace of goals in the first 10 minutes, both coming off passes from Danny Byrne as he worked the right sideline with precision on the dribble. Talbot showed excellent shot placement in firing two past aging Shay Given to set off a roaring approval in the stands. Talbot's hat-trick goal was a header as he flicked a cross from Daniel Fredheim Holm past Given. Stephen Pearson then added another patented 25 yard curving blast to make it 4-0. Orient was content to play out the second half quietly, but ex-Orient Andrea Rossi tripped Richard Hunt in the area. David Poole converted the penalty kick to complete the scoring in the concluding win.

"Another great season Will," said a happy Colley.

Drabek sat quietly and Colley glanced over at him with a questioning look.

"That was my last match Dave."

Colley leaned against the wall, stunned at the statement.

"I have been thinking about this for some time now. This is the right time to leave. I am planning on leaving football- I am not doing this to manage somewhere else, I just have had enough of the good times and it is time to leave on a high note."

"If you say so Will, but are you sure you won't reconsider."

Drabek smiled as they listened to the excited players getting ready to leave the Brisbane Road dressing room for the last time, "It has been a great run Dave. I have enjoyed every minute of it. It is time for someone else to enjoy the ride as much as I have."

Drabek Resigns- Orient Stunned

Leyton Orient Manager Will Drabek announced his resignation as Manager of 7-time EPL and 5-time Champions Cup champions Leyton Orient at their victory celebration today. Drabek thanked all the Orient faithful for their support over his 12 seasons managing Orient. During that time the club built from the lower levels to become one of the powerhouses of Europe. Signature player David Poole, widely expected to be named EPL Player of the Season for his 2nd time, was choked up when he thanked Drabek for giving him the chance to shine at both the club and National level. Drabek reiterated his statement that he was not planning on staying in football in any capacity.

The End

It has been great and I want to thank everyone who has viewed this story personally. It was definitely a labor of love- managing my favorite side to the highest success is always a fun thing to do. Getting the chance to manage England in the story was a nice bonus. I appreciated all the comments offered over the several years this story has been going. After just over 36 days of playing time on the story- it is time to let this one go and be retired icon_smile.gif This ends my time with CM 03-04 as well- I just enjoy FM 06 too much to play any older versions again.

Just for the record- David Poole was awarded his 2nd EPL Player of the Year honours. He finished this season with 8.06 ave 24 goals 6 assists and 13 MOMs. For his career at Orient, from the time I signed him on free transfer after his release from Manchester United- Poole had 416 appearances- 366 goals- 142 assists- 135 MOMs- and a career average of 7.95. It is hard to say good-bye to my favorite player, but the time is here.

Thanks again to everyone, I can't thank you enough for the time you have taken to read this monster icon_wink.gif

- MD

Archived